Tuesday Open Mike

Open MikeWelcome to today's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Lorne

Ontario vice principal puts on makeup for Halloween. Is accused by the court of public opinion of wearing "black face" (an overused term with a specific meaning that has been lost). Because one person is allowed to be offended, said public official has been suspended, under investigation, might lose job and career.

Toronto's mayor under police investigation, is publicly drunk, videoed smoking crack and making racist remarks, urinates in public, gets in fights, etc-- and is still on the job (when he bothers to show up).

...

WTF is wrong with people these days? They'll go apeshit offended because someone's Halloween costume "might" damage their precious child and demand someone's career on a silver platter-- and that person's employer GOES ALONG WITH IT-- but Ford-- ferk!

(And when anyone asks me why unions and professional associations are still relevant these days, I'll ask them how they'd like to lose their job, career and livelehood because someone didn't like the Halloween costume they wore. Last year. When not even at work.)

November 5, 2013 @ 8:27 AM

Mississauga Phil

First!!!

Could one of my tech-savy friends here upload the clip of Jon Stewart ripping on Ford last night...oh my God it was hilarious!!

November 5, 2013 @ 8:29 AM

markosaar

@Mississauga Phil,

Are you five years old?

November 5, 2013 @ 8:33 AM

Lorne

@markosaar: He isn't. A five year old could type fast enough to get his post "firsted" before my three paragraph rant. =)

Just joking-- I do want to see that Daily Show clip too ;)

November 5, 2013 @ 8:42 AM

Ben Vidal

@ Lorne and Miss Phil: Look to the right in TO Mike's twitter feed he has a link re-tweeted.

November 5, 2013 @ 8:43 AM

Argie

Stewart is a wank. I guess he would be funny if I was 15.

November 5, 2013 @ 8:44 AM

Speysidephil

And Ford is still Mayor and up 5 more pints in the polls.
Gotta love it!

November 5, 2013 @ 8:47 AM

Declan

As I see it, Doug is Rob Ford's greatest nemesis. This campaign against the chief of police reeks of unaccountability, distraction and blame games.

It's so very sad.

November 5, 2013 @ 8:57 AM

Lyle Lanley

@Speysidephil

I'm surprised polls even get reported these days. They're often very, very wrong and rarely account for anyone under the age of 45.

November 5, 2013 @ 8:58 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Mark - nope, 31...why do you ask?

November 5, 2013 @ 9:02 AM

Boomer

Mike. I like how you put the poppy in your "Toronto Mike" header. Nice touch.

November 5, 2013 @ 9:02 AM

Lorne
Speysidephil: And Ford is still Mayor and up 5 more pints in the polls.

LOL! You win typo of the day.

November 5, 2013 @ 9:02 AM

Sammy

It's going to be a long 12 months. Sigh.

November 5, 2013 @ 9:12 AM

Speysidephil

@Lorne
Nice catch Lorne. That's a great one.

November 5, 2013 @ 9:14 AM

Driving my kids to school today, my 11-year old son asked me if Rob Ford's father owned a park.

I asked him why...

He proceeded to tell me a story he heard from a friend at school. Apparently this tale was told in the schoolyard and these 11-year olds couldn't believe it.

The story was that Rob Ford and a buddy would go to a nearby park named for his father and drink booze all night, then they would smash the glass bottles in the park.

That's when it hit me... why I find it so upsetting that Rob Ford acts this way as mayor. That story was almost all completely true. There are thousands and thousands of impressionable kids in this city who are literally being told by their moms and dads to "not be like the mayor". Don't abuse drugs and alcohol, don't drink and drive, don't lie, don't smash bottles in public parks and respect and work well with others.

Don't be like Rob Ford. It is indeed very, very sad. Our hopes and dreams for our children is that they not grow up to be like the mayor of Toronto.

November 5, 2013 @ 9:18 AM

Argie

@Mike
Thanks for that P.S.A.

November 5, 2013 @ 9:25 AM

This discussion launched a big "disrespectful and inappropriate things our mayor does" conversation with both of my kids.

We talked about the lack of accountability, the drug and alcohol abuse, the bully tactics, the disrespect for parks, the drinking and driving, the constant lies and denials, the homophobic slurs, the racial slurs and the enabling by his brother.

It was this discussion with my kids about the realities of our current situation that made me realize how horrific it's all become, and they were spared the potential ties to murders, beatings and extortion.

This isn't fun, nor funny. This is sad and ugly.

November 5, 2013 @ 9:25 AM

Argie

@Mike
Outside of public urination and public drunkenness (which I'm sure we're all guilty of at one time in our life), nothing else has been proven. You continue to repeat things that have yet to be proven. You're not alone in doing that but its still wrong.

If I were a betting man, I would bet he did most of those things but at this point, we still don't know for sure. Do you agree?

November 5, 2013 @ 9:45 AM

Irv

Mike what do you tell your kids about me?

November 5, 2013 @ 9:46 AM

Lorne

@Irv: You are legend.

November 5, 2013 @ 9:51 AM

@Irv

There's some things they're better off not knowing...

November 5, 2013 @ 9:59 AM

@Argie

I think you're confusing the burden of proof required to convict someone of a criminal offense with the burden of proof required to deem someone a shitty role model.

November 5, 2013 @ 9:59 AM

Glen

I saw this billboard for a female injury lawyer in St. Catharines last week. One thing you can say is she has a sense of humour.

November 5, 2013 @ 10:23 AM

McNulty

Mike’s point is a great one. A lot of Ford supporters (or just people who antagonize…Argie isn’t what I’d call a Ford supporter) are using the same burden of proof used in the courts when talking about judging the behaviour of the Mayor. No, Rob Ford cannot be convicted of any crime relating to a video of him smoking a substance out of a glass pipe that is commonly used to smoke crack. But we can all assume he smoked crack. We have no idea what was exchanged in multiple packages between him and Lisi, a man who was been charged with drug trafficking. But we know it wasn’t legit. Anyone who argues that it “could have been letters” is being disingenuous. It “could have been” original copies of the works of Shakespeare because that’ how you exchange great literary works. No one wants to be seen with Hamlet.

The list of evidence is astounding. He’s even admitted to public drunkenness (which was denied before) and acted like it was no big deal. Many months ago he denied being drunk at a few events and called those that said he was liars. He questioned their character and so did many of the Ford Nation. He still won’t admit to lying about it. Could he be convicted for any crime? No. Can we prove he did grab Sarah Thomsen’s ass? No but it seems more likely now. Can we prove he drove drunk to the Danforth? No. But it seems more likely now.

When all of these things start adding up then the court of public opinion can convict.

November 5, 2013 @ 10:27 AM

Argie

@Mike & McNulty
I concede most of these accusations are likely true BUT we still don't know for sure if they are in fact true. I know it makes great news and entertainment for everyone but technically its still not factual, is it?

As for a role model, Ford is definitely not one however your kids' role model should be YOU, not some guy they've never even met.

November 5, 2013 @ 10:36 AM

Ben Vidal

Lets just say for arguments sake he was smoking hookah tobacco in that pipe. Lets just say he wanted to connect to the inner city.

The part that is truly disappointing is the indicated audio. so even if we can't believe a video it's the damning audio that is even worse. Being a vocal racist and and a homophobe should in and of itself be grounds for him stepping down.

The audacity that piece of garbage Doug has to ask for Blair to step down. WOW. Even if it's proven he shouldn't have given an opinion on the Ford video, that's one thing incorrectly said vs. 10,000 things the Fords have said. The fact that Doug is even questioning Blair shows you how truly evil and conniving the Fords are.

On to the discussion of other assholes. I was walking my dogs last night near the ravine by my house. I came upon a poppy box that had most of it's poppies in it. The thing it was missing was money, the donation part had been ripped open and only a couple of pennies left. I've taken the donation box to work and plan to sell the remaining poppies in there, am I good to take the money to any legion hall?

I think there is a special place in hell for the person(s) that did that. There is also a special place in hell for the people trying to say that a red poppy indicates you are in favor of war and want it changed to white. The fact that we even allow that discussion bothers me more than Rob Ford.

November 5, 2013 @ 10:58 AM

Irv

@Ben Vidal

Dude, a Hookah pipe is a fairly large device..like a tall bong. I used to frequent a hookah place until it closed.

As for the "was it a crack pipe". Well, as a dude who is in street outreach, who has lived in a crack infested neighborhood AND who dated a reformed crackhead/dealer here's a few tips. Yes, crack pipes are often small glass pipes with a big bulb at the end (but not always as some addicts use tubing on their rig to smoke while walking and to hide it). You drop the stone into the pipe and heat it up with a lighter. When it gets hot it smokes (and it makes a cracking sound). Heavy users who use this method often have burned lips because of the heat. This is why some cities hand out free crack pipes as it stops infection.

Secondly, it's a myth that all crack users are a bag of skin and bones. There are lots of functioning crack heads who have jobs & careers & managed to hide their addiction. A crackhead can be spending over $200 bucks a day on rock & still look normal. Crack users tend to become very paranoid when using rock & get this weird focus. If they think they dropped a 10 stone they'll spend an hour crawling on the ground looking for it. When a crack user goes without sleep & food for a while they may exhibit strange weird dancing like behaviour or they may well start screaming at walls. Crack addicts CAN be skin and bones but not always. That's more a sign of heroin or meth use. You might also see an addict with scabs on his face. This is because they feel like there are bugs in their skin so they try to pick them out. They are called crank bugs. It's technically referred to cocaine physcosis.

I did this shit long enough to be able to talk to someone and smell if the alcohol on their breath comes from Jack Daniels or comes from Listerine. As I've posted before, Ford has displayed strange signs of problems. The bright red face, the persistent & heavy sweating and often irratic behaviour. His desire to not have a driver just might be because he's got business going on and doesn''t need a babysitter.

In short, a dude smoking a short glass pipe is likely smoking an illicit substance.

November 5, 2013 @ 11:22 AM

Argie

@Ben
I have no idea where you and other people are saying Ford used a "racist" slur. He apparently said those "effing minorities". It was ignorant but in no way racist. Surely, you're smart enough to know what the word "racist" means.

Of course, if you really want to destroy the character of someone, just refer to them as "racist." Its works like magic.

November 5, 2013 @ 11:23 AM

Anonymous

Doug Ford is a piece of shit.

November 5, 2013 @ 11:29 AM

Argie

Thank you Anon, for that insight. Just brilliant.

November 5, 2013 @ 11:34 AM

Ben Vidal

@ Irv: I know the difference between hookah and crack. My mention of hookah was to give all the Ford apologists a way out so that they don't have to defend. My point was that even if it wasn't drugs his use of profanity and denigrating other people of society he should lose his job just for that.

@ Argie: Don't be obtuse. Firstly the minorities that form the majority of his football team are of a certain color. If he were to use the racist term for that with his drug dealing somali friends something tells me he wouldn't have made it out alive. So yes he's a racist. You make a statement like " he can't get that job because he's an effing minority" is the same as " he can't get that job because he's Chinese or black". Really his statements were ignorant, racist and homophobic.

I do love how you completely breezed by the homophobic comment as if it was ok.

November 5, 2013 @ 12:29 PM

Irv

LOL he smoked rock but cant remember when. LOL. Uhuh. Sure dude

November 5, 2013 @ 12:43 PM

Argie

@Ben
He insulted JT. I'm OK with that. But seriously, he shouldn't have used the f word. I agree.

November 5, 2013 @ 12:53 PM

RESPECT US

Mayor Ford, RESIGN!

November 5, 2013 @ 12:55 PM

Matt

@Lorne (8:27) Agree 100% Then again everything is offensive now-a-days to someone.

November 5, 2013 @ 1:31 PM

markosaar

I made a very expensive mistake.

I managed to launder my brand-new passport a few weeks ago. It came out a little damp and warped, but still looked alright. I continued to use it for ID, as late as last Friday.

I'm headed to Reykjavik-Paris-London this weekend. My girlfriend looked at the passport last night and ... the photo had suddenly vanished. There was a green smear with my pupils and hair still in place.

Spent much of today scrambling to get a whole new passport application together. $225 to replace it -- $15 for photos, $160 for ten years, and $50 for the rush. Never mind I just got a new one a month ago at $160.

So uh, remember to check your pockets. This is literally the only thing I've ever ruined in laundry.

November 5, 2013 @ 4:48 PM

@markosaar

That sucks.

I've been to Reykjavik and Paris... both nice, but Paris will blow your mind.

November 5, 2013 @ 4:51 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Habs are going to win tonight. That will be good. My coyotes will win tonight as well as my Suns. That will be great. There's too much Rob Ford stuff. Well, sure wish George Smitherman won and not Ford. I don't know who I'll vote for in the next election, but it won't be Ford. If I don't like anyone, then I'll spoil my ballot.

November 5, 2013 @ 4:52 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Markosaar: You were lucky your supporting information also wasn't damaged. Had a similar thing happen when I washed a jacket with my Birth certificate in it, and when i applied for my passport they wouldn't accept the washed out Birth certificate. Had to scramble to replace it first.
Wonder what shiny new objects Bob and Doug have in store for the citizens of Toronto today?

November 6, 2013 @ 5:54 AM

Liz

Kevin Donovan is about to be interviewed on Shredd & Ragan, 103.3 The Edge in Buffalo, NY. I really thought I could avoid shit about you-know-who but he's everywhere! Even my New York Times this morning has an article about Robbie. I think I'm going to shove my head up my own ass today - the only place safe from the Fords.

Have a good day, kids!

November 6, 2013 @ 8:29 AM

Cheryl

My habs lost. This is not good, but my Coyotes and Suns both won so a really good night for Phoenix sports. I'm so sick of all this Rob Ford stuff. I'm sick of him. None of this would have happened if George Smitherman won, and that's the truth. Ford should just step down. Do it. My trainer says he doesn't look good. I can't see him, but I agree with my trainer that Rob Ford doesn't look healthy. I'm so sick of him.

November 6, 2013 @ 10:46 AM

Rick C in Oakville

A little bit of a creative rap on Ford

November 6, 2013 @ 7:54 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@ Liz: He is like the tune that is stuck in your head and you can't shake it no matter what you try.

November 6, 2013 @ 7:55 PM

Cheryl

Well, my coyotes and Suns both lost last night. No good at all. Well, habs will hopefully win tonight. Come on, do it. I'm so sick of rob Ford. Now there are death threats in a video. Anyway, we have to get rid of him. How much more are we going to hear about ihim.

November 7, 2013 @ 5:01 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Rip Iron Mike Bensson

Damn cancer

November 7, 2013 @ 8:32 PM

E Hookah

open mike night, sounds pretty awesome. wish there were more events like that around here.

February 20, 2014 @ 12:31 PM