I'm Banning Irvine

I'm Banning IrvI've asked Mark Irvine a.k.a. Irv to stop commenting on this blog. If he does comment, I'll delete it.

I didn't arrive at this conclusion lightly. Earlier today I received a second threat from him this week. Quite simply, I'm not going to accept that.

This blog, which turns 11 later this week, has always been a hobby of mine where I've honed communication, digital marketing and web authoring skills. It's also a great deal of fun for me. I've often said, when this stops being fun, I'll shut it down.

Being threatened by Irv is not fun. I've had it. He joins Dave Williams in a very exclusive club of those banned from commenting here.

If you think I'm being too harsh, I'd love for you to comment below. As always, I welcome alternative viewpoints and opinions.

RS

I don't think you're being harsh at all. This is YOUR sandbox; we're just guests.

November 27, 2013 @ 3:31 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Mike - I find the blow hard entertaining, but as stated above, this is your party, I just hang out here. Not having Irvine here isn't going to diminish my enjoyment of your blog.

November 27, 2013 @ 3:46 PM

Il Duce

What was his comment?

November 27, 2013 @ 3:49 PM

Philly-Bob (Mississauga Phil)

@ Il Duce - Irv said

"Irv
November 27, 2013 / 15:07

Aww gee, i tried to be nice but nope. Fine. Game fucking on bitches."

In response to a spot on impression of him that Corey wrote. If you haven't read Corey's comment, you really should go back to the divider post and check it out...it's GOLD!

November 27, 2013 @ 4:11 PM

Ben Vidal

@ Phil: that's the second threat uttered in the last week.

November 27, 2013 @ 4:19 PM

Philly-bob

@ Ben - I didn't catch the 1st threat...The one I posted above, meh... it just doesn't seem like a threat to me.

However, as I said before, this is Mike's party and not having Irv here isn't going to diminish my enjoyment of this blog. I was pretty close to bailing on this site due to the constant harassment I got from Dave W, so I'm not going to say that there isn't someone here that feels the same way about Irv. Mike asked for our thoughts on the ban, so I gave mine.

If Mike likes his blog better without Irv's presence here, who am I to argue.

November 27, 2013 @ 4:23 PM

McNulty

It's Mike's blog. But what was the threat? I'm missing something.

And he can ban whomever he wants.

November 27, 2013 @ 4:25 PM

Jason Patterson

Ah, I remember the days when I still read this blog (for reasons I can't remember) and I was always a comment or two away from being banned. Nice to see you have the time and energy to write about people you claim to be fed up with. I guess it beats writing about the incredibly boring "radio" people that (for reasons I can't comprehend) you're still not fed up with.

Maybe you can all sit in a cute little middle-aged, balding, crisis-mode circle jerk and podcast about it too.

Loving you!

November 27, 2013 @ 4:38 PM

Liz

Threats are not cool - not cool at all. Mike, if you've arrived at this decision, I'm pretty sure there are super solid reasons for it. As RS said, your sandbox - and we're simply guests. I know I'm not alone in saying you do a great job and those of us who are here regularly certainly appreciate all that you do. I feel shitty that you were threatened - it's just not right.

November 27, 2013 @ 4:40 PM

Liz

Hey Jason,

Go fuck yourself.

November 27, 2013 @ 4:41 PM

@Jason Patterson

As I recall, weren't you Humble and Fred's biggest fan?

Didn't you bring Humble coffee every place he worked?

Why the sudden hate?

November 27, 2013 @ 4:44 PM

Jason Patterson

Very original. Yeah, Mike Stafford once told me to do that. It sounds easier than it is, Liz. See you monkeys in another year.

November 27, 2013 @ 4:45 PM

@Jason Patterson

Damn, I totally forgot about that. You're the guy who called Mike Stafford's boss to complain about something he said on the air.

When did you start hating on Humble and Fred? I remember you were a very big fan of theirs from the time we recorded the very first podcast at Dan Duran's house.

Strange...

November 27, 2013 @ 4:49 PM

Liz

Stafford's brilliant - and a good judge of character, as it turns out.

November 27, 2013 @ 4:49 PM

Bottom Feder

We're on Mike's turf here. He can boot anyone for any reason. I trust his judgement.

November 27, 2013 @ 4:53 PM

Jason Patterson

No hate here Mike, hate is a strong word. I don't feel a "sudden" anything, I was mostly typing in jest. I have not been to your blog nor have I listened to any local podcasts in an extremely long while- I suppose I developed other interests and found more interesting podcasts- and I was just ribbing a little because I have fond memories of almost being banned myself.... heh ;-)

November 27, 2013 @ 4:54 PM

@Jason Patterson

I was just concerned because my friends Humble and Fred can't afford to lose a fan.

And you were never banned. Only two people have ever been banned.

As I recall, your hate-on for Corus, OJ Boy, was just too repetitive and annoying.

What podcasts are you listening to?

November 27, 2013 @ 4:57 PM

Jason Patterson

It wasn't about something MS said on the air because I wouldn't be caught dead listening to his show, his comments were allegedly about a certain individual "deserving" to be tasered, and it was later claimed that a "different" Stafford made the comments on your blog. I give him the benefit of the doubt on that one, but it doesn't change whether or not he is a dickhead so IMO any further discussion of this topic would be boring and moot.

Anyway, I'm not here to talk about 20 years ago, even though that is what this blog is often about.

Mike, when I was 10 I liked INXS. That doesn't mean I like the watered down less edgy version of INXS that exists today.

I listen to a lot of podcasts, and time is limited. My interests have changed and evolved because I'm not a stagnant person.

You seem desperate for blog fodder. See you next year and tell your blog happy birthday on November 30th.

November 27, 2013 @ 5:05 PM

@Jason Patterson

I have my own issues with Mike Stafford... he used to comment here often and we used to exchange emails all the time, but he didn't like something I wrote about Corus.

Remember, this is the same guy who fired Freddie P as his best man.

So, you're not going to tell me the podcasts you're listening to? I'm sincerely interested in that. I assure you, it's not because I'm desperate for "blog fodder", I just like good podcasts.

See you next year, I guess.

November 27, 2013 @ 5:09 PM

@Jason Patterson

Until now I always assumed it was something Stafford said on his show that got you to call his boss. I had no idea it was a comment on this blog.

Why would you call his boss because you disagreed with his comment? It seems unnecessary and excessive... no wonder he told you to eff yourself.

November 27, 2013 @ 5:22 PM

CQ

Couldn't everyone ignore his comments or use some type of a commenter filtering trick?

November 27, 2013 @ 5:22 PM

Rob

As said by others, this is your site, do what you please.

That being said, his second "threat" wasn't all that bad IMO. Never read the first one.

November 27, 2013 @ 6:13 PM

Corey

What was the first threat anyway?

November 27, 2013 @ 6:15 PM

Jason Patterson

Mike let's not debate 2007. I don't mind that he told me to eff myself. I also don't remember the details.

Y'all need to stop bickering..

November 27, 2013 @ 6:23 PM

Jason Patterson

P.S. I did not "call" - that would have been way too much energy. I guess I felt at the time that the dickhead should stfu..

November 27, 2013 @ 6:27 PM

@Jason Patterson

Now be a good chap and leave a list of your five favourite podcasts on your way out...

Please and thank you.

November 27, 2013 @ 6:30 PM

andrew

@ Mike

The way things are transpiring here it may be time to ban Jason Patterson also.

I agree with your decision on Irv as he was getting too personal with negative comments towards not just you but also others.

Discussions about opinions of others on a topic is fine but when gets more heated with personal slanders - it's time to "Lock the Door & throw away the key"

November 27, 2013 @ 6:33 PM

Broni

I often agree with Irvine, but his delivery always gets my back up. Hundreds of times I've found myself thinking, "Oh jeez Irvine, I was agreeing with you right up until you said that". He seems like a very intelligent fellow who doesn't realize that calling someone "Dude" in a debate is not cool.
I don't know if he should be banned, but as others have said, that is Mike's decision.

November 27, 2013 @ 7:49 PM

Gary

I sometimes took Irvine's comments with a grain of salt and found some entertaining. I didn't see the threats so I can't really comment on them. At the end of the day this is your blog Mike and if you feel he crossed a line then it is your call.

November 27, 2013 @ 10:15 PM

Bucket of Popcorn

This should liven up this blog because it has been pretty boring in the past year.

November 28, 2013 @ 9:10 AM

Corey

@Bucket of Popcorn -

Have you contributed anything over the past year to liven things up, or do you you just complain?

November 28, 2013 @ 9:52 AM

Ryan G

I walked into a hospital last night to see an aunt who has had two strokes in the last three weeks. After the first one, she was a little down, but soon moved to rehab and was recovering pretty well all things considered. Her mind, memory and body were coming right back to normal. She was talkative, making jokes and starting to walk again. She realized her life had changed, but her attitude was positive as she thankfully took the high road, which makes a difference in recovery.

Two days ago the second stroke occurred, which prompted my visit last night. As I entered the room, I looked upon a radically different woman. She is now 95% paralyzed and can barely utter a few words, but I know her mind is still there. As I held her hand, she weakly uttered my name once, but after that, all she could do was stare at me. Behind her eyes I could sense her deep sadness, but mostly , I could sense her fear. Her daughters were there, and they said she'd fight off going to sleep because she thought she would die if she did.

Now imagine yourself in that situation. Imagine the terror of being trapped in a body that doesn't respond, yet your mind is still functioning at a high level, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. Imagine saying to yourself - this is it. I'm at death's door.

I don't mean to trivialize the bickering above, and I certainly don't want to bring you all down (or perhaps that's too late), but I'm just writing this to say that at the end of the day ladies and gentleman, just try to put it all in perspective, and think about what really matters.

Hey look - a squirrel wearing a top hat and a monacle!

November 28, 2013 @ 10:05 AM

Jason from Sudbury

I didn't see the first threat but the 2nd one wasn't really a threat imo.
I didn't mind Irvine I actually found him entertaining at times.

November 28, 2013 @ 10:13 AM

Doug

Christmas came early for Banger!

November 28, 2013 @ 10:27 AM

Roshan

I've only banned one person from my blog. One comment, 20 swear words - because he didn't like the fact that I didn't like Malayalam (my language) classical music as much as he did. I stated the reasons why I didn't like it and that it was only my opinion but ......

November 28, 2013 @ 10:43 AM

Derrick

Thank you Ryan G for putting this debate(?) into some context.

November 28, 2013 @ 11:19 AM

No debate, just transparency, if you will.

Without a doubt, every character on this page pales in comparison to the health of a loved one. I'm sorry to hear about your aunt, Ryan G.

November 28, 2013 @ 11:24 AM

Argie

@PB
Another ridiculous article by Strobel. There's one difference, Ford hasn't been charged or even accused of selling drugs. As you are aware of, there's a huge difference in how police treat dealers and users. I don't know, maybe you think they should be treated the same???

November 28, 2013 @ 1:28 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Argie - Oh no, I understand and agree that there is, and should be, a huge difference between a dealer and a user...It was more the fact that the article was funny and well written, as opposed to agreeing with the content.

....yeah...Strobel's a bit of an idiot!

November 28, 2013 @ 1:37 PM

Lorne

No problem with the ban. Given how sparse the bans are, it gives them much more weight. Arguing is one thing. Threats are another. They just foster a negative environment that no one wants to be around. It's bad for everyone on the blog.

@CQ: I use a filtering trick. But I'm also a regular who reads the a lot, so it was worth my time and effort to install the filter on all the computers I read from. But for a new visitor-- if their first experience in the comment section is an endless mess of insults, threats and trolls, what benefit is it to them to even stay?

November 28, 2013 @ 3:17 PM

Jason from Sudbury

So out of curiosity, what was Irvine's first threat? Cause his post in the divider thread wasn't a threat imo.

November 28, 2013 @ 10:48 PM

Mike from Lowville

@Il Duce....hey if your father worked at Ford, I think I know him.

@ T.O. Mike ban Irvine if you must but, I will miss his sometimes apposing viewpoints.

November 29, 2013 @ 9:06 AM