Cinque Terre: The Most Beautiful Place I've Ever Been

Cinque Terre: The Most Beautiful Place I've Ever BeenI've been visiting Cinque Terre, five villages along the Italian Riviera that seem almost untouched by modernization. They are:

• Monterosso al Mare
  • Vernazza
  • Corniglia
  • Manarola
  • Riomaggiore

We stayed in Riomaggiore and took the train into Corniglia where we walked the Sentiero Azzurro path through Vernazza and Riomaggiore. The path between Riomaggiore and Manarola and Manarola and Corniglia is currently closed due to flooding.

I've seen some beautiful places in my lifetime, as recently as last month when I visited Banff, but I've never seen any place as stunningly gorgeous as Cinque Terre, and walking the path was just awesome.

Today I visited the most beautiful place in the world #cinqueterre

Cinque Terre

Cinque Terre

Cinque Terre

Photos don't do it justice, but if you want to see a bunch, I've got them all here.

Tim Legere

Some beautiful places indeed.

October 19, 2013 @ 4:03 PM

Irv

I get the need to wear colours to identify yourself. My biker vest does just that. But it's too "hipster Canadian" to wear the CBC

October 19, 2013 @ 6:15 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Cool pics Mike, hope you and Miss Moneca are having a great "honeymoon".

October 19, 2013 @ 8:28 PM

@Irv

It's actually perfect because the non-Canadians just think it's a funky design but it's a subtle not to Canadians to come out of the woodwork and say hi. All by design in a fun social experiment I'll be sharing on the next episode of Toronto Mike'd.

October 19, 2013 @ 10:33 PM

Irv

Sorry brother, it's a bit too touristy for me. Rather than worry about meeting Canadians, use the time to meet Europeans & expand your horizons. Of course, with a tourist itinerary I guess that won't happen. Your views of Europe will be the same as those in Europe who think all of Canada is "moose, mounties & beaver pelts".

October 20, 2013 @ 12:40 PM

@Irv

You nailed it.

I don't have nearly enough time for that. I was lucky to get two weeks.

October 20, 2013 @ 3:06 PM

@Irv

And two more things...

1. The Europeans who think Canada is all "moose, Mounties and beaver pelts" have never been to Canada. I've been to Italy. So it's not at all the same.

2. During the first week in Amsterdam I spoke with dozens of Europeans at length. Meeting fellow Canadians is just good solid fun.

October 20, 2013 @ 3:45 PM

Irv

I've been there (Italy). Spent 6 months in Europe, sleeping on trains, benches, just walking around. Even worked illegally in a few pubs. I never aspired to have 2 kids & a collie. Never saw anyone that had long term happiness out of it. It's an illusion.

Mike, the Europe you see on a tourist run is not the real Europe. It presents a cotton candy reality of Europe & masks some of it's real issues. You can go see the Eiffel Tower or you can go see the Paris suburbs where racism & hate run rampant. You can go see Buckingham Palace or you can go to Brixton & speak to those who cheered when Thatcher died. You get me.

Not trying to diss your vacation brother just saying I hope we don't hear TM's wonderful world of Europe, etc. They do some things very well. They've also got some real problems just it doesn't hit our radar.

Take 3 months off work, get a Euro-rail pass and travel man. Reality is so much nicer than Disneyland.

October 20, 2013 @ 5:02 PM

CJ

Great photos, Mike!

October 20, 2013 @ 5:27 PM

Speysidephil

@Irv
Irv you are an egotistical bore.
Mikes on his honeymoon, with two kids at home and one on the way, he is beyond the hippy days. Let it go, you might learn something dude.

October 20, 2013 @ 5:49 PM

Irv

@Speyside

Countdown to Breakdown.

October 20, 2013 @ 9:43 PM

Argie

"I never aspired to have 2 kids & a collie. Never saw anyone that had long term happiness out of it. It's an illusion"

Thank God! We now know Irv will not be reproducing. I was worried there for a moment.

October 21, 2013 @ 9:25 AM

Pete

@TOMike,

That looks like a really nice area, I am always amazed at regions like that, regardless of where they are, EU, NA, Asia. etc. What I would like to know about this particular one is what powers their economy? Are they close enough to a larger town or city that can support them? Is there a port nearby that supports fishing? From the pix here it looks there is a nice pier/dock but it's hard to say from pictures.

Have a great trip.

--Pete

October 21, 2013 @ 11:42 AM

Roshan

Nice place. Glad you guys are enjoying wonderful Italy.

October 23, 2013 @ 8:11 AM