20 Years Ago Today

20 Years Ago Today Joe Carter touched them allA lifelong sports fan and homer, this remains my greatest sports memory, 20 years later.

I wrote about Joe's 1993 World Series clinching home run on the 10th anniversary of his blast. I referred to it as "a moment of collective elation" and feared it will never happen again. I'll bet it doesn't.

Where were you when Joe touched 'em all?

Another World

Ryan G

I was at the now defunct Mickey Fynn's at Yonge and Gerrard. We all know what Yonge street looked like after the game, which is why I decided to climb the lamp-post. Was pretty fantastic, and I still have the entire Toronto Sun paper from the next day (VCR's were only six hundred bucks then!)

October 23, 2013 @ 8:38 AM

CQ

Actually, I've forgotten all of it - except for that home run moment as it is often replayed. That and their first base coach's keen focus.
Was Cheek's call made on radio, or was it televised? Did the Blue Jays really win their AL East division four out of five years running?

October 23, 2013 @ 8:42 AM

Blind Dave

Sitting on my livingroom floor, my nose just a couple of feet from my old tv set.

October 23, 2013 @ 8:57 AM

Gary

Sportsnet played the whole game the other night. It was great to watch.

October 23, 2013 @ 9:09 AM

@CQ

I often refer to Tom Cheek's call of Joe Carter's HR as the greatest call nobody heard.

We were all watching the game on TV and Tom Cheek's call aired on the radio only.

My brothers and I were watching the game in the living room of my mom's old home on Montye Avenue near Jane and Annette and when that ball cleared the fence we screamed so loud our lungs burst and had the biggest pile-on. It was crazy...

October 23, 2013 @ 9:19 AM

@CQ

And I can tell you off the top of my head that we won the AL East pennant in '89, '91, '92 and '93.

October 23, 2013 @ 9:20 AM

4x4 Time

I was at the game, Box 445 Seat 18...Great times, I remember it like yesterday.

October 23, 2013 @ 9:30 AM

Andrew

I was in my apartment at 633 Bay Street next to the World's Biggest Bookstore... the windows in our condo shook from the noise coming from Yonge Street and we were 17 floors up! My roomate and girlfriends ran out onto the street and it proceeded to take us 3 hours to walk from Elm to College. It was freaking awesome!

I can't imagine what the party will be like "if" the Leafs were to ever win.

Cheers!
Andrew

October 23, 2013 @ 11:46 AM

Douglas

Where was I? Unfortunately, as far as seeing Joe "touch 'em all", I was at a good friend's wedding in Columbus, Ohio. The wedding was at a large hotel/convention center complex. There wasn't a single TV in the place that was tuned to the World Series. The Toronto attendees only found out what happened and did our hooting and hollering when we caught the sports report on CNN at about 1 in the morning. Fortunately, I have seen the game since in the replays, like on Sportsnet a couple of nights ago. I still get the sinking stomach feeling as Philadelphia comes back, but it's worth it for the elation that comes when Joe Carter sends the ball out of the park.

@Andrew - Good use of the word "if".

October 23, 2013 @ 11:50 AM

Speysidephil

I was at home with the neighbours watching the game and when Joe hit the homer I opened an expensive bottle of champagne and we all toasted for the next hour. Will never forget it.

October 23, 2013 @ 2:19 PM

elvis

I jumped out of my chair and my foot landed on my buddy's cock and balls (he was watching whilst lying on the floor). Total accident but amazingly funny.

October 23, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

Andrew

@ Douglas,

I like to be practical and sane when it comes to such matters :)

October 23, 2013 @ 3:06 PM

dale

I was in bed most of the aft. & night as I had my impacted wisdom teeth surgically removed late morning at a hospital & the anesthetic was still wearing off later that day.

I did see most of the game in my groggy state but sure as HELL felt better after Joe touched them all.

October 23, 2013 @ 7:06 PM

Dundastardly

Hard to believe this game was twenty years ago! I was 8-years-old at the time, and the first two seasons I followed MLB (and the Jays) were 1992 and 1993. I assumed we'd win every year... Boy was I wrong.

Part of me sensed that Game 6 of the 1993 series would be huge. I recorded the Jays' radio broadcast, and still have the recording of this game in its entirety to this day. Its a good keepsake, I'd say.

Here's a link to three calls of Joe's homerun - the first and the third are quite familiar. Check out the call from Harry Kalas (the Phillies' broadcaster... a very classy call from the losing perspective). Still wish I could hear how the great Vin Skully called it... It will surface some day, I'm sure.

If you missed the rebroadcast on Sportsnet, here's Game 6 in its entirety:

October 23, 2013 @ 8:37 PM

Mississauga Phil

I was in my parents basement with my cousins (I was 11 at the time) My parents were at the game with my Aunt and Uncle, and my sister had a bitch of a time containing 3 pre-teen boys hopped up on sugar and celebrating the win....

October 24, 2013 @ 9:14 AM

dale

21 years ago today the Jays won thier 1st World Series

October 24, 2013 @ 9:59 AM

Speysidephil

@miss. Phil

Phil are you still in your parents basement?

October 24, 2013 @ 10:09 AM

Gump

Trying to have sex with my girlfriend at the time. I was dumped 4 hours later! Good times, good times.

October 24, 2013 @ 2:04 PM

Dundastardly

@Dale
And 21 years ago I attended my first Leafs' game... a 5-1 win over the Sharks. I remember crowding around a guy during the intermissions who brought a portable TV with him to the Gardens. We were half way home when they won (I was fast asleep, unfortunately).

October 24, 2013 @ 9:49 PM