Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 51

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 51In this 51st episode, Mike is joined by guest co-host Amanda a.k.a. Humble's lady friend. Mike and Amanda discuss the pros and cons of her dating a man 24 years her senior, what's next for their relationship and what happened to Humble's planned vasectomy. This episode is exactly 39:13.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at https://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Liz

Amanda is amazing! Super smart and well-spoken. Excellent convo, Mike. Thanks to Amanda for her candor. Loved this!

September 17, 2013 @ 5:25 PM

Thanks, Liz!

If anyone wants to listen to my chat with Humble Howard, that's here: http://www.torontomike.com/2013/05/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_36.html

September 17, 2013 @ 5:30 PM

Bo

I agree. Nice job, Mike.

September 17, 2013 @ 5:34 PM

Andrew

Looking forward to a little listening on the way home from the Jays game tonight... I'll need something to pick me up!!

Cheers,
Andrew

September 17, 2013 @ 5:36 PM

@Andrew

You're mentioned early in this one!

September 17, 2013 @ 5:41 PM

howard

This is the best TorontoMiked evahhhh. Lady Friend sounds super hot. And Boon you actually sound very nearly like a man:)
h

September 17, 2013 @ 5:51 PM

howard

FYI
You're both wrong(correct usage) "Consumptuable" is not word.
"Consumable" is indeed a word.
Now go on with your college degree BS.

September 17, 2013 @ 5:55 PM

@howard

I wasn't sure about consumptionable, but I knew you'd know...

Smartest high school dropout on the planet!

September 17, 2013 @ 5:56 PM

Now excuse me, I must play left wing on Muzzin's line... I am Oates to his Hull.

September 17, 2013 @ 5:58 PM

Andrew

Anyone else read that as "I'm Oates to his Hall." That's a totally different meaning right there!!

Looking forward to the listen.

Cheers,
Andrew

September 17, 2013 @ 6:02 PM

markosaar

I know it was in fun, but please don't badger people about being gluten-free haha. I've never managed to successfully stick with it because of the intense bpeer-pressure.

I don't even know if gluten is exactly my problem, but I haven't been able to stay clear of it for the two months supposedly necessary to be sure. But I do seem better when I don't have it.

September 17, 2013 @ 7:41 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Markosaar: Macleans has a good article in the last edition about the Gluten Free phenomenon which doesn't affect as many as most would believe. As for me, sticking with my wheat products, feel no ill affects and love my Italpasta Rigatoni!

September 17, 2013 @ 9:41 PM

markosaar

I was actually going to ask if anyone followed up, that I've heard a bit of a backlash against it. I've heard some claim it's even hazardous and to check with a doctor before attempting it. Seems funny to me. My doctor's instructions were basically "try it and see if you feel better".

Some claim it takes two months.

I'm also pretty sure it's a combination of types of foods that affect me. From keeping a food diary it unfortunately looks like red meat is out too. And lactose. But cutting all this stuff still isn't enough.

Good times!

September 17, 2013 @ 10:41 PM

Argie

@ Andrew
I totally did as well. However while John Oates was clearly inferior to Daryl Hall, Adam Oates was one of the best assist men of all time.

September 18, 2013 @ 8:39 AM

Andrew

@ Argie,

Ok good... I was hoping I wasn't the only one and yes, Oates was horrible. Just horrible.

Cheers,
Andrew

September 18, 2013 @ 10:01 AM

Wayner

Its called celiacs disease. A glutton free diet should not be attempted unless you have been diagnosed with this condition or you are experiencing better health since the switch.

September 18, 2013 @ 3:00 PM

markosaar

Wayner, why does it matter? Seems like a bunch of unnecessary calories for most people's lifestyles.

September 18, 2013 @ 6:05 PM

markosaar

I don't see many people bellyaching (ahahahahaha) about IBS here, but since it came up, I just happened to come across this link today that is the first article I've read that seems to actually correlate with my symptoms:

Basically the idea is that an over abundance of mast cells in the gut react to foods high in histamines. The cited doctor's research indicates that the worst foods for such a person to eat are:

• wheat
  • beef
  • pork
  • tomatoes
  • onions
  • oranges
  • chocolate

First off, I already have a family history of mast cell conditions. Second, from my food journals, I've suspected wheat, tomatoes and onions. Most recently I've become certain that beef is a major "trigger". I've never eliminated all these foods at once. I'm more optimistic now than I've ever been.

September 19, 2013 @ 12:49 AM

Wayner

@Markosaar

The caution is more for those who confuse "glutton free" with weight loss. These products tend to have more sugars to make up for the missing glutton and so don't help with weight loss. On a recent visit to my grocery store I noticed all the products with the label "glutton free"....funny thing is that these product never had glutton to begin with...Talk about “cashing in”

I also have IBS and during the week I avoid all the items on the list you provided. Unless of course I want to miss work the next day. The pain and discomfort felt the next day is just not worth the meal..

September 19, 2013 @ 1:57 PM

markosaar

Oh haha. Yeah I completely agree with that. The processed-food version of "gluten-free" is certainly horribly misleading marketing. The exact same thing happened with "low-fat" products.

My problem is I never eliminated enough I guess. Any other foods you avoid, if you don't mind me asking? Do you drink?

September 19, 2013 @ 9:38 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Nice interview Mike, can see why Howard is very much in love with "Lady Friend". Smart, witty and self confident, she was a great guest. You pulled the cover off something I've been wondering about: Humble hadn't mentioned anything about his up coming vasectomy, because if it was done, no doubt he would have some great bits on shooting blanks, with slogans like "All the fun with no worries"

September 19, 2013 @ 10:25 PM

Wayner

@markosarr

Your list is spot on. I would only add tylenol and other pain medication (my doctor told me to avoid these if I can). I am starting to notice a problem when I drink diet soda so I’m cutting back on this too.

I find I eat a lot of chicken during the week and would like to introduce more fish but it remains a hard sell to the family. If I do eat any of the "forbidden foods" I make sure it’s just a small amount to make everyone happy.

I do drink but I tend not to drink during the week. If I do I stop at one (hard rule)...I save that for the weekend.

Of course on the weekends/vacations I indulge (but not too much)

September 20, 2013 @ 10:24 AM

markosaar

Thanks.

With diet cola, aspartame "feels" safe, but I seem to react to the stuff that's in Coke Zero unfortunately.

September 20, 2013 @ 11:23 AM