The History of the City of Toronto

The History of the City of TorontoThis was the conference opening video from TEDxToronto 2013.

Corey

This is only loosely connected, but the Open Mike is too stale now, so I'll post here. The Star's Christopher Hume makes a valiant, but completely absurd argument as to why the City of Toronto is right to be spending $75,000 for a lounge at City Hall.
If Ford opposes an expenditure, then The Star will come up with anything to sell it as money well spent.

September 30, 2013 @ 3:28 PM

Corey

Arrggh. Should have read, "...spending $75,000 for a set of lounge chairs..." $75k for an entire lounge would be a bargain. :)

September 30, 2013 @ 3:32 PM

Hume's an editorialist presenting his opinion. It's his voice, not the voice of The Star.

There's no vendetta... we happen to be underserved by a stubborn, narrow-minded, constant campaigner who lies through his teeth frequently. Hume's entitled to his opinion on this matter, and we're entitled to agree or disagree with him.

September 30, 2013 @ 3:42 PM

markosaar

Hume is pretty dreadful. Selley pointed out his hypocrisy recently when it comes to partisan spending here:

(It's a bit too long and messy to quote properly.)

September 30, 2013 @ 3:43 PM

Corey

Sure Mike. So do you honestly believe that if Ford had come out endorsing the expenditure of $2,500/chair, The Star wouldn't have immediately attacked him?

Look, I get that we're talking about $75,000 out of a several billion dollar budget, but I can't believe there is anyone out there, especially a bleeding heart like Hume, genuinely believes that it's a noble idea to spend this money on chairs that no one but city councillors are ever going to see.

September 30, 2013 @ 5:22 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Corey - You are so right. I can honestly say I'd have lambasted Ford if he had supported this. I don't care what the city's budget is, 2,500 a chair is beyond ridiculous

October 1, 2013 @ 9:13 AM

Tron

I think the criticism would be more about Ford being a nickel and dime hypocrite (which BTW Ford still is) than actually be complaining too hard about this sort of spending. Conservatives/ the Sun/ Talk radio is all about this sort of thing. Believe me what bothers liberals more is giving tax payer salary of $125,000 a year for a Ford buddy who has a position nobody can explain, or shoveling billions in operating costs for a unneeded and underutilized subway stops that will not be able to sustain it's cost for 30 years because there's a vote there. Not a bunch of chairs

This is simply not the sort of things that Liberals get up in arms for. I'll give you an example, Sussex drive is in desperate need of renovation for a while now (and draining energy cost yearly when it's not being done) a Conservative is living in there. When a report that mentioned that it's in need of renovation, I really didn't hear anybody in liberal media or politics saying they shouldn't do that. Could you just imagine if Chretien or especially Justin Trudeau accepted the upgrades of the house. RW talk radio and sun news would be flipping over themselves.

I don't know what's the proper price of the chairs. Maybe it is too much, but the previous chairs lasted 30 years, that's pretty good. I know this wasn't as absurd as some suggest they should just get "second hand bargain chairs". You have to have some respect for city hall, just like if I like the PM living in Sussex drive or not, he still represents this country and PM home should at least be upgraded to the 21st century. It doesn't need to be the Vatican, but places of govern should look nice, it represents well on the citizens.

The thing i got most out of this is how Ford can spin people with his bullcrap. Ford is the Mayor of the city and still fools people in thinking he's an outsider. So let me get this straight, he is elected by saying he will look at every penny going through city hall line by line. 3 years after he gets elected the SAME thing he ranted about while campaigning happened and he wants to be re-elected mayor on the same "I'll look at every penny" which he failed on his watch? If Ford actually got to work after noon time, or had staff that weren't there to coach football, he might have caught these expenses.

October 1, 2013 @ 4:10 PM