The 1% Rule and You
There's a 1% rule that pertains to Internet culture. Wikipedia says "the 1% rule refers to forums, in which everyone must be a content creator. In this context, only 1% of the users of a forum actively create new posts and the other 99% of the participants only lurk."
This seems spot on with regards to this site. 99% of visitors absorb content whilst only 1% seem to comment. I've often wondered how interesting it would be if that 1% became 5% or, dare I dream, 10%.
If you're a lurker who enjoys reading, can you do me a favour? Can you try commenting for a while, either on regular entries or the Open Mikes? You can use your real name or create a unique but anonymous handle as many have done.
If you're a lurker who is ready to join and expand the 1%, let me know in the comments!
Only 40 comments? C'mon, we can do better... Leave a comment above and let's keep this conversation going!