The 1% Rule and You

The 1% Rule and YouThere's a 1% rule that pertains to Internet culture. Wikipedia says "the 1% rule refers to forums, in which everyone must be a content creator. In this context, only 1% of the users of a forum actively create new posts and the other 99% of the participants only lurk."

This seems spot on with regards to this site. 99% of visitors absorb content whilst only 1% seem to comment. I've often wondered how interesting it would be if that 1% became 5% or, dare I dream, 10%.

If you're a lurker who enjoys reading, can you do me a favour? Can you try commenting for a while, either on regular entries or the Open Mikes? You can use your real name or create a unique but anonymous handle as many have done.

If you're a lurker who is ready to join and expand the 1%, let me know in the comments!

Lorne

Or us commentors can hunt down members of the 99% and eat their computers. The should skew the ratio back into line.

September 18, 2013 @ 8:43 AM

Argie

Yay!!! I always wanted to be part of the 1%. Now I am.

September 18, 2013 @ 9:32 AM

TheSweaterTuck

I comment here and there, but mostly I don't. I feel like comments largely go ignored and investing time into them can be a waste. So, that being the case...

September 18, 2013 @ 9:49 AM

@TheSweaterTuck

I take note of every comment, as it comes into my Gmail. If the 1% became even 2%, I'd be twice as happy.

September 18, 2013 @ 9:55 AM

Al

...and twice as busy reading them all.

September 18, 2013 @ 10:09 AM

markosaar

I tend to comment because I know the people doing the content-creation appreciate it. I secretly (okay not really) get a little thrill whenever someone comments on something I've written, or photos I've taken. It's basically a minimal effort to make someone feel better, and that their effort was worth something to someone out there.

There's definitely a problem with signal-to-noise eventually though. I used to follow the somethingawful forums closely, and while the original content or links are still good, the comments can be so utterly worthless. There are still a lot of great specific threads however for discussing games, photography, fitness, bike repair, local issues etc. It's like one of Reddit's grandfathers.

September 18, 2013 @ 10:16 AM

markosaar

Another thought, the comments on Toronto Mike average higher than most/all communities I go to because there tends to be a lot more accountability and thoughtful moderation here. People stand behind their words and tend to keep the same identities. Mike doesn't censor anyone as far as I know, but moderates enough to keep trolls like Dave W from usurping other's names.

SA is pretty good with respect to identities and accountability at least, but I think some of the moderators are overly heavy-handed. Their voluntary job is also very very hard though so they get quite a bit of slack.

Reddit ... is just over my head. I occasionally look at the top posts. I should try to get into it more.

All of these communities are pretty great though because people also tend to write with proper English. Every once in a while when I'm having a problem with some gadget or game, I search Google and end up on some utter cesspool of language murder.

September 18, 2013 @ 10:23 AM

TheSweaterTuck

I'll make note that this blog is different. I still feel that reading some of the comments on other blogs and the frustration the content creator has in dealing with the awful opinions expressed would leave him/her jaded towards even just reading them. As someone else mentioned, if people are accountable and respectful in their comments, the comment system can thrive.

September 18, 2013 @ 10:32 AM

TheSweaterTuck

Also, I should note that the few times I have commented, Mike has replied more often than not. Just so you know that it hasn't gone unnoticed and unappreciated.

September 18, 2013 @ 10:38 AM

Lorne

@Markosaar: I know your name probably isn't pronounced this way, but every time I see it I think "Mark-osaur", and I get this image of a t-rex mashing away on a laptop keyboard. It always makes me smile.

Especially picturing some of the troll commentors going "@marksaur.. blah blah blah you suck"-- then just getting stomped by a dinosaur. =)

September 18, 2013 @ 10:51 AM

Cheryl

Well, I comment. I like to comment. It's okay if people don't like what I comment about though as long as things don't get too out of hand.

September 18, 2013 @ 10:59 AM

markosaar

@Lorne: People have been linking my family name to dinosaurs all my life, so that was part of where it came from. But really it's just a portmanteau of my proper name.

September 18, 2013 @ 11:08 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

Try to be selective with my posts and responses, but with some of the comments posted here, I swear to Beelzebub, I just can't help myself. Love it when somebody calls me an a-hole for some flippant remark.
Indie 88 and cfny stuff bores the crap out of me, but I always get a laugh from Argie's stuff and the invisible grand wizard, Irvine.

September 18, 2013 @ 11:21 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Nigel - I'm sure you didn't intend it that way...but Grand Wizard is a title within the Hierarchy of the KKK.

I really hope that isn't what you meant, cause while Irv can be a pain to certain people here (i personally find him funny) he certainly isn't a militant redneck racist....

September 18, 2013 @ 11:37 AM

Argie

@ Nigel
If can put a smile on one person's face - well that's all I need in life.....

@Phil
Lighten up, man.

September 18, 2013 @ 11:42 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Argie - I'm light brother :)

Just pointing out to Nigel that he misused a title. You can really offend some people with shit like that....

September 18, 2013 @ 11:48 AM

Anonymous

# 1stworldproblems lol

September 18, 2013 @ 11:50 AM

Mississauga Phil

Sorry...that was me

September 18, 2013 @ 11:50 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@ Mississauga Phil,
The description was "invisible grand wizard". Not sure that the KKK has one of those but I could be mistaken.
Merely an homage to Irvine's stealthy presence in the world of spooks and security.
It was in no way intended to offend your delicate sensibilities.

Mind you if the KKK had an invisible grand wizard, that would be off the charts.

September 18, 2013 @ 12:46 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Nigel - Invisible racists?!?!?! That would be convenient, then the rest of us would not have to see them :)

September 18, 2013 @ 12:59 PM

VegasGeoff

I don't comment nearly as much as I should, considering I have read every post on this blog for the past several years.

September 18, 2013 @ 1:18 PM

Ryan G

Mike, is Bev still single? I know a guy. He's a great fella, has a great job, is good looking and extremely loyal. I even saw his junk by accident once when a bunch of us were in the Caribbean.

September 18, 2013 @ 1:35 PM

@Ryan G

Bev is still single.

I talked to her in Edmonton a few weeks ago and she was considering grabbing a coffee with Mississauga Phil.

If you know a guy, I'll pass it on to her...

September 18, 2013 @ 1:41 PM

Corey

Man, I hate political correctness. Phil, even if Nigel was referring to grand wizard in the context of the KKK, do you really imagine Irvine's feelings would be hurt or he'd take grave offence?

September 18, 2013 @ 1:42 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Corey - I hate political correctness too. It wasn't so much an attack on Nigel/defense of Irv as it was just making Nigel aware of what that title represents, lest he use it in improper company.

I find most political correctness to be overboard...but i think hatred of the KKK is something we can all agree on.

September 18, 2013 @ 2:06 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@ Mississauga Phil,
Can't really get on board with the "hate" thing. Using hate to denigrate a group that promotes hate, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. So no, I don't think we can all agree.
Despise, scorn, loathe, abhor, detest, abomonate, have an aversion to, would be much more apt descriptors.

September 18, 2013 @ 2:20 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Nigel - Fair enough...should have used a different word.

I'll amend that to "I think scorn for the KKK is something we can all agree on"

September 18, 2013 @ 2:40 PM

Ben vidal

I comment more than I used to. I found myself only commenting on political things before. Now I try to have a wide array of things I'll comment on. I do however read every single post and listen to most of the podcasts.

Rant:
GYM RATS: This terrible creature is not to be confused with steroid monkeys. While both are mammals they have distinct traits. The gym rat is the A-HOLE that gets profusely sweaty and uses a machine, bench or some sort of cardio device. The gym rat does not bother to wipe down this previously mentioned equipment. This gym rat doesn't even make an attempt to clean up from his/her sweaty mess. It has gotten to a point where I will no longer stand for it. Especially as my gym lets you have complimentary towels to use for purpose of dabbing yourself off and wiping your machine down. On top of this the gym has the sanitizer cleaner in a wet wipe form all over the place. So I now call the person out on it. Not rudely at first, usually a quick hey you think you could wipe that down. It has escalated where I've had to ridicule the person while others are working out, because they refuse to do anything or accept responsibility.

The worst part isn't the gym rat, it is the cross species mating between the gym rat and the steroid monkey. The steroid monkey being the guy who looks like he's injecting so many needles in his arse that for every needle prick he gets a pimple on his shoulder or back. The mating of these two results in the SUPER DOUCHE. This is the guy(not being sexists as I have yet to meet an offspring of the two that is female) that not only sweats and doesn't clean, but decided to squat 1300 lbs and leave them all on the bar. Or Bench press 450 + and leave it on the bar. Much like wild monkeys you can't approach for fear that they will rip your face off like monkeys at African lion safari do.

Anyone else come across any of these species?

September 18, 2013 @ 3:40 PM

Tim

I only read this blog and I comment here once in a while. Hey Mike do you know where Billy disapeared too? She has been conspicuously absent

September 18, 2013 @ 3:50 PM

Argie

@Ben
Nice rant. What I don't get is how do these rats & monkeys manage to get a 2 hr lunch. They seem to live at the gym - whether I go at 12 or 1, you can bet Buddy Roid will be there.

My other question is this: Why did they hire a woman who's about 30lbs overweight be a personal trainer. Just asking.

September 18, 2013 @ 3:59 PM

Ben Vidal

@: They have a male trainer at my gym who is fat, balding and generally unclean. There is also a woman trainer that was probably living on earth when the industrial revolution took place. No idea how they manage to get people to buy into a training package.

September 18, 2013 @ 4:25 PM

markosaar

@Argie, I bet she's less daunting to overweight people who are self-conscious working out or hiring a trainer.

September 18, 2013 @ 4:41 PM

@Tim

Do you mean Billie who is trying out to be Dean Blundell's co-host on his morning show?

I believe she's auditioning for that gig...

September 18, 2013 @ 5:01 PM

Tim

I thought she already had it? I might be mistaken. I like DBS when Gerry Dee co-hosts. That guy is hilarious

September 18, 2013 @ 5:40 PM

jillian

Mike- What's your opinion on Billie? I'm trying to like her but find her extremely annoying. She just agrees with everything Dean says, followed by fake laughing.

And how can she completely forgive that he once said (on air) that "she looks like she has a pitchfork through her face". Last week he called her"hot". Wow!

September 18, 2013 @ 8:41 PM

The_Voice

I comment on occasion. Even went to the group TFC game with Toronto mike!

September 18, 2013 @ 10:00 PM

Doug

I comment once in a while...usually if it is a topic that I have something to contribute.
I enjoy reading most of the time, but I am really getting tired of the fighting, arguing and nastiness of a lot of the people who are part of the 1%.

September 18, 2013 @ 10:14 PM

Blind Dave

Still comment when I can but just stupid busy these days.

September 18, 2013 @ 11:47 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Mike's blog was how I found out what had happened to H&F and other local radio stuff, that just doesn't interest my friends and family. I had the pleasure to meet Mike (and Rosie) last year and he truly is what you read here, a really nice guy with quite a way to engage many people. I try not to get too involved with the heated discussions though.

September 19, 2013 @ 8:33 AM

Cheryl

So you have personal trainers in your gym who are fat and unclean. Well, I'm lucky I have a clean personal trainer. Anyway, maybe you should go with mine.

Well, radio is changed a lot for the worst. Announcers are mor boring. I miss the old radio days. All stations sound identical now. Oh well, listening to your own music is the way to go.

September 19, 2013 @ 5:59 PM