Running the Bases

Running the BasesAs a kid, I'd have loved to have had the opportunity to run the bases at Exhibition Stadium after a Jays game. Just being on the same field as the pros is a thrill.

After this afternoon's 7-2 victory against the Rays, I asked my son and nephew if they wanted to run the bases. Kids can do so after Saturday games and that's exactly what we lined up to do.

Untitled

When it was their time to hit first and run home I nicely asked one of the security guards if I could accompany my 9-year old nephew. I didn't even bother to ask if I could run with my 11-year old son, who is just about my size, and thought maybe they'd let me accompany Zander considering how nicely I asked.

My request was denied as I was told he was big enough to run by himself. I had to wait behind home plate to collect the kids and will have to wait until kid #3 is a toddler before I can justify my adult presence during a Jr. Jays promotion.

Untitled

The game, for the record, was a lot of fun, despite the fact we're just playing out the string and trying to play spoiler. I've had quite a bit of luck with games I've attended in 2013, having witnessed the longest game in Blue Jays history last time I was at the dome.

Untitled

Ryan (Brother)

Great game! Good times had by all. To add to the day I got to buy a tiny slice of pizza pizza for $6. I have no idea how they can charge so much for this stuff. Shouldn't a million percent mark ups be illegal? Seriously, it is becoming a joke now.

Mike also promised my son Zander a homer and we got two!! He quickly told his Nana about that this morning.

It all happened so fast w the running of the bases that I could not get a good shot off of him running... which blows!! I took like 10 pics but they all have kids blocking his view! LOL

Finally, may I say I have paid the $50 to Mike for the non playoff season the Jays had this year> I was wrong. Good bet Mike. Good bet. Congrats!!

Go TEXAS today!!

September 29, 2013 @ 10:19 AM

Let the record show I offered you to go double or nothing on next season and you decided to cut your losses.

Thanks, bro! Good times...

September 29, 2013 @ 10:42 AM

Andrew

Glad the both of you had a great time..it's good to play spoiler, however, the game took forever because of the FOX national feed in the US!!!

Anyway, back here today for the grand finale. I have a great crew that works with me so thanks to them!

Cheers,
Andrew

September 29, 2013 @ 12:21 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Never knew you could do this. How long is the wait, and can 500 levellers do it also? My neices step son is 7 and a huge jays fan, may have to put it on his bucket list next season!

September 29, 2013 @ 12:55 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Meant to add, honestly Mike it was really you who wanted to run the bases, and you had to drag the kids down didn't you!

September 29, 2013 @ 12:56 PM

@Rick C in Oakville
I think they had this promotion after every Saturday home game. We probably waited about 45-minutes to go down.

And yeah... I used the kids as an excuse to get down there. I admit it.

September 29, 2013 @ 7:40 PM

james

"wait until kid #3 is a toddler " You having another Mike?

I did not know about this either. A Saturday Jays game will be on the calendar next year if they are doing it again. My step daughter will want to do that!

September 30, 2013 @ 8:54 AM