Last Open Mike of September

Open MikeAnd there goes September...

Ben Vidal

Well Well Well. The IPCC report is out. Come on Argie and Speyside, both people who by all accounts aren't scientists. Show all of us how you know better than 100's of scientist's grouped together coming to the exact same conclusion. Tell us how your gut instinct can be trusted more than 1000's of hours of scientific research.

I know you both will point to any error made in previous reports. The good thing about science is that it's always trying to better itself and find errors and come up with a clearer picture. Even when you look to the error on the ice loss Himalayas in the last report, the end result didn't change the main conclusion.

95% certainty up from 90% certainty 6 years ago. Yes temperature rises have slowed, but in this day and age I don't know how people can deny the evidence that is presented and continue to say oh well the earth has been through climate change many times. As Toronto Mike said 95% certainty is huge in the scientific community

What's funny is you trust science that says the earth went through these massive climate changes over the millenia, but you don't trust science to say that what's happening today is manmade. I always laugh at that argument. Don't even get me started on the religious zealots who use the same argument, but have faith in a religion that says the world is only 10,000 years old.....

So to all the nay sayers keep on keeping on. Think that all this research is lies. Continue to support a federal government that is muzzling it's scientists and making sure they only do work on things that can make money in the short term. Go with your gut on this. Because with the way our federal government approaches research, science and numbers, that's all you'll have in a few more years. Gut instincts and no real proof to back anything up.

September 27, 2013 @ 8:50 AM

Bo

When linking, BBC > Daily Mail... almost anything is better than the Daily Mail.

September 27, 2013 @ 9:07 AM

Blind Dave

Yup, fall is definitely here. We had 8C and rain rain rain yesterday.

So, Leaf predictions anyone? I'll say 7th - 10th in their conference. They'll make/break the playoffs on the final weekend.

September 27, 2013 @ 9:07 AM

Al Reda

7-10th is a safe bet for the Leafs.

Let's hope for 7th!

September 27, 2013 @ 9:11 AM

Sam in Pickering

Take a moment to digest this fact. And remember, it's a fact... read the report here.

Scientists are as certain humans are to blame for global warming as we are that tobacco causes cancer.

Read it twice so it sinks in...

September 27, 2013 @ 9:28 AM

George Carlin

The planet is fine, the people are fucked.

September 27, 2013 @ 9:29 AM

Ben Vidal

@ Sam: It won't matter people will still call the scientists liars

September 27, 2013 @ 9:32 AM

Bottom Feder

Great pic from 1975:

September 27, 2013 @ 9:32 AM

Ben Vidal

Even more great news about access to information in this country today.

LINK

September 27, 2013 @ 9:36 AM

Sam in Pickering

@Ben Vidal

What a strange world we live in...

September 27, 2013 @ 9:36 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

Always interesting discussions, especially when outside sources are referenced for proving a point.
This of course begs the question, "Who do you trust?".
Politicians? The church? Industry?
Seems today that every media source has a particular slant on the stories they cover.
So to the posters, the posers and the primadonnas that frequent the TM blog, who do you trust?

September 27, 2013 @ 9:41 AM

McNulty

I wonder where the ardent BlackBerry supporters are now? How is that superior device doing? I wish they had done better but poor management and a corporate arrogance that bled down to their employees sunk that ship. I don’t like seeing people lose their jobs and I hope they find work but damn, BlackBerry will be one of those “Rise and Fall” stories.

In other news, I will never understand why conservatives in the US hate universal health care so much. While our system has its flaws, I cherish it.

September 27, 2013 @ 9:41 AM

@McNulty

Last night, Il Duce came over and we recorded an episode of Toronto Mike'd. I'll post it shortly.

He was an ardent Blackberry supporter... even a year ago he wouldn't consider switching. He now happily sports a new Samsung Galaxy S IV and we talked about it during the episode.

Here's the episode... a sneak peak before it's posted: http://torontomike.podcastaccelerator.com/52-september-26-2013.mp3

September 27, 2013 @ 9:45 AM

@Nigel Trousershrapnel

That's a great question. I certainly don't trust most politicians... I have zero trust in the church... I trust science. If we deleted the world and started from scratch, in time science would end up in the same place we left it. Everything else would be completely different.

September 27, 2013 @ 9:47 AM

Speysidephil

@Ben Vidal

Re: Gary's question,
So why is it not getting any attention. The reasons are obvious, it goes against everything the IPCC bases their findings on.

September 27, 2013 @ 9:50 AM

markosaar

@Bottom Feder:

I love those sorts of pictures. This is my personal favourite:

(R100 over the new Canadian Bank of Commerce building.)

Unfortunately R101 perished in a fiery crash en route to India and Britain abandoned their zeppelin programme.

September 27, 2013 @ 9:55 AM

C

Global Warming, bad - from the online site who's administrator just moved out of an efficiently cooperative apartment building into his own detached house this month, plus had promoted driving around in luxury gas-emission cars.

September 27, 2013 @ 9:55 AM

Ben Vidal

@ Speyside: If you had any idea about science you would realize in any study there are outliers. Just because it's cool one day in the summer doesn't mean global warming has stopped.

Keep running around with your hands over your ears and eyes.

For you to insinuate that the IPCC base their findings on false data, or ignore data is pure comedic gold.

Especially when you look at the Daily Mails track record on reporting.

September 27, 2013 @ 9:56 AM

CQ

September 27, 2013 @ 9:57 AM

@CQ

The horror!!!

As soon as I can afford it, I'm installing solar panels and a wind turbine.

September 27, 2013 @ 9:58 AM

Ben Vidal

@ CQ: Have you ever wondered why you don't get traffic to your site or have issues attracting a job? I've read what you put out and grammar and sentence structure aside, all you do is whine. Stop being jealous Mike gets offered a car to drive here and there.

September 27, 2013 @ 9:59 AM

CQ

In other news:
Who at NBC Universal's TV morning show decided to promote "Big Hugs Elmo" as their first mentioned hottest toy ($59) for the upcoming Christmas Show? This shouldn't be Elmo's increased toy promotion year.

September 27, 2013 @ 10:02 AM

Declan

I've been reading this blog for several years and I've yet to understand a sentence written by CQ.

In all honesty CQ, if this is how you write your cover letters and CV it's no wonder you're not being called in for an interview.

We all want you to find gainful employment. Clear sentence structure, correct grammar and spelling and a more positive outlook is a great place to start.

Just trying to help...

September 27, 2013 @ 10:32 AM

markosaar

We all want him to find gainful employment so he has less time to post here.

September 27, 2013 @ 10:46 AM

Cheryl

Leafs won't make the playoffs, but my Habs and Coyotes will. That will be great. No Leafs in the playoffs this season. My Cardinals are in Tampa Bay on Sunday. I need a Cardinals win. They better not get clobbered llike last time.

September 27, 2013 @ 10:47 AM

McNulty

@ CQ

So Mike isn't allowed to believe in climate change and live in a house to support his growing family?

As to who to trust?

I trust most science but it has to be by more than one crackpot scientist. I still believe that some politicians are honest but they are too often corrupted by the need to satisfy their donor base. Money wins elections and that's sad truth which can affect good public policy.

The media? That's the worst one.

September 27, 2013 @ 10:47 AM

@CQ is welcome to comment whenever he wants. He helps me keep track of my life, reminding me of what cars I've test driven and when. And that I believe in climate change and live in a detached home in Toronto.

September 27, 2013 @ 10:57 AM

Will McAvoy

I'm a registered Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, and not gay marriage.

September 27, 2013 @ 11:02 AM

Irv

Climate change is a polarizing topic and tends to have a political lean to it. I don't buy into what Al Gore says nor do I buy into what paid "science" influenced by corporate funding says.

Global warming is more pronounced at the poles. That's a place few people live and even fewer people go. One of the trips I made this year was to ride my bike up to Inuvik. Part of the trip takes you up the Dempster Highway which is an 800 km gravel road through the arctic. I always like going up north because I get exposed to a world & culture that has long disappeared in the south. There are still many Inuit & some white people who live a very traditional "off the grid" lifestyle. All of them will tell you the ice freezes later & melts earlier. All of them will agree there is global warming.

So why would these people understand global warming? Well for starters, the weather isn't an after thought for them. It's something that shapes their life. Excluding the odd tornado, someone in Southern Ontario can pretty much ignore the weather. Weather to you is an afterthought whether you're in a Bay St skyscraper or at your cottage in as you call it "northern Ontario". To others, weather can be a matter of life and death. I came to understand that this summer as I learned how to sail. You ignore the weather to your own peril. And you gain a great deal of respect for mother nature when your Contessa 32 is out in 30 foot swell.

I've always found it ironic how many of the global warming deniers always demand "proof" yet never seem to the same proof about their beloved and imaginary "God".

September 27, 2013 @ 11:13 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Cheryl - Um...sweetie...the Leafs ARE going to make the play-off this year, wishing they don't, won't make it so....

@ CQ - Jealousy is an ugly thing my friend...

September 27, 2013 @ 11:41 AM

Jenny

Fall colours are gorgeous up here. Sun is shining, birds are singing and the weather is supposed to be lovely the next few days.
Enjoy the weekend everyone!
P.S. Leafs all the way :)

September 27, 2013 @ 11:48 AM

CQ

Jealousy?
I made a topical comparison of Toronto Mike's September postings.
Grammar and spelling miscues?
Ceaseless agitations will affect a person, after many years and decades.
Positive Outlook?
I wake up every morning.

September 27, 2013 @ 12:16 PM

Pat MaGroin

@ Cheryl...Quick..without looking it up on Google or any other search, name 2 players currently on the Cardinals football team?

September 27, 2013 @ 12:45 PM

519 Rob

I don't know why you guys are worried about The Leafs. They are set for another 7 year absence from the play-offs.
LOTS of room on the bandwagon for the Sens, though.

But if you're looking for me, I'm near the front. Been there for a LONG while now!

Go Sens Go!

September 27, 2013 @ 1:20 PM

Matt

Just checked to Todd Shapiro thread. I think I lost a few IQ points reading the comments.

It's gonna be a good weekend, I'm going to head down to the dome one last time on Sunday, and go see Korn Monday night.

September 27, 2013 @ 1:29 PM

Matt

Nice to see Blind Dave back as well.

September 27, 2013 @ 1:31 PM

@Matt

Re: the Todd Shapiro entry, you should see the shit I had to delete.

The entry might have the comments I'm least proud of hosting...

September 27, 2013 @ 2:46 PM

markosaar

I look forward to hearing him on Humble & Fred at least.

September 27, 2013 @ 2:56 PM

Argie

@ Ben (my friend)
I assume these scientists from north western Europe know what they're talking about. Like I posted yesterday - yes, its getting hotter and industrialization has contributed to it. The question is how much and more importantly, what the hell can we do about it. The answer by many experts, including many of these scientists, is nothing. A bog fat nothing.

I believe n global warming and I believe in God. I also believe in playing golf when the weather is freaking awesome like today, so I did.

BTW, I hope you got the "my friend" reference.

September 27, 2013 @ 4:38 PM

This weekend I'm psyched about going to the Jays game with my son, my bro and his son, suiting up for the Cherry Hawks and watching the Breaking Bad finale.

September 27, 2013 @ 4:42 PM

Glen

1) I like the TV show "Breaking Bad" but I find the hype surrounding the final season/episode unbearable. It's just too much.

2) I'd happily give Robinson Cano $100 million for 3 years to play second base for the Toronto Blue Jays. There's no way in heck I'd give him $300 million for 10.

September 27, 2013 @ 5:33 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Sorry to hear of another Canadian enterprise entering tough times, (Licks that is). Always loved their burgers and the Guck (GUK?) sauce. Would load every topping they would offer onto my burger and basically have it running down my elbows. Wasn't a first date place for me.
Burger competition has just exploded in the past year or so, they just don't stand out like they use to. Tried 5 Guys recently, and the over loading of Fries into the take out back is probably in some small part responsible for some Global warming.

September 27, 2013 @ 5:59 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Wish we could edit, meant "take out bag"

September 27, 2013 @ 6:13 PM

Corey

I never liked Lick's. Way too garlicky for my taste.

The mention of fast food burgers reminds me of a great bit comedian Jim Gaffigan did, where he says that no one will ever admit to going to McDonald's, yet they somehow sell billions of burgers per year. He goes on by saying if you ever run in to someone you know at a McDonald's you'll say you're not there to eat, you're only waiting to meet your transvestite hooker. Hilarious!

Anyway, for those of you brave enough to admit you occasionally partake in fast food, what's the best burger in that realm? No non-chain joints please. Burger's Priest, Dangerous Dan's, your fav local diner DON'T COUNT.

I'll start: Wendy's. For a fast food burger, Wendy's offers the freshest tasting ingredients, best buns, and decent fries, bar none.

September 27, 2013 @ 6:43 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Corey: Yes Wendy's is probably my #2, I savour the flavour of a Harvey's Double bacon Cheese burger, if Harvey's counts as a chain. Kelsey's makes a decent burger for a Road House restaurant. Hero Burger near me (Trafalgar and Dundas) is very good, but about the price of a nice steak done on my BBQ though. Their Blue Cheese topping is an excellent addition.
I'm not embarrassed to say I eat some fast food. I travel approximately 2 weeks a month, almost impossible to avoid.
I remember Gaffigan's bit, I think it was played on H&F before they went to Satellite.

September 27, 2013 @ 7:02 PM

Corey

@Rick -

Harvey's counts. Kelsey's doesn't. The rule here is any place where the a waiter takes your order, brings you your food, and you gotta leave a tip doesn't count. So McDonalds, Wendy's, Harvey's, Burger King(!), A&W, and weird US joints like White Castle all count.

September 27, 2013 @ 7:10 PM

elvis

Anyone on Zurker? Thoughts?

September 27, 2013 @ 8:09 PM

Cheryl

Well, Larry Fitzgerald is a Cardinal. So is Jay Feeley. There you have it. They better win. No Leafs in the playoffs. They won't be there because my Habs will, you soo. Can't wait for a big Habs win on Tuesday.

September 27, 2013 @ 9:13 PM

Lorne

It's been sad watching all the Lick's disappear. They have a true burger.

If I'm going fast food, Harvey's and Wendy's both pump out a passable burger-thing.

However, I have been really impressed with 5 Guys. Order a small fries and share them-- they're American size.

The burger is great. It's a burger, true and true. Meat, perhaps a bit of salt. That's it. You can taste the 60/40 chuck-to-sirloin. Everything from the flavor to the texture lets you know it was ground that day and never frozen. It's a real, actual patty instead of a chopped-and-formed filler delivery system. Under $8, filling, tasty. Worth a try.

September 28, 2013 @ 12:47 AM

Cheryl

Well, just three days until hockey regular season. My Habs are really goinog to be ready to beat the Leafs, that will be so wonderful. Tuesday can't get here fast enough.

September 28, 2013 @ 7:12 AM

Rosie

Totally agree Lorne... 5 Guys is excellent! And definitely my fave fast food burger.

September 28, 2013 @ 7:15 AM

Gary

Licks never kept up with what was going on. For one, they used frozen fries instead of fresh cut which cheapened the whole experience in my opinion.

September 28, 2013 @ 9:27 AM

Jason from Sudbury

@Corey:
In no particular order, ANW, Wendy's, and Burger King. Depends on what's around.

September 28, 2013 @ 11:13 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Closed my pool today. Probably used it 5 times the whole summer (kids have all moved out), and spent more in the last month getting it from algae green to sort of clear so it wouldn't look like a swamp to my neighbours. It's above ground and about 19 years old, so next year looks like back yard remodelling is going to take place as it is reaching the end of it's life, unless the rust around the skimmer decides it's fate by opening up before spring! Got more than my money's worth from it when the kids were younger. Always had a ton of kids over every weekend, so it was a worthwhile investment in 1994. Only thing I don't look forward to is filling the hole, my lot slopes and I took out 15 yards of soil to level it. Now I need to put it back in, at least I have the winter to psych my self up for it.

September 28, 2013 @ 5:37 PM

Blind Dave

@Matt

Thanks. I actually only disappeared for a couple of Open Mikes. What has happened lately is that I am rather swamped with work, school, and family, so I've had very little time for blogging and newspapers. It's a shame to cut them back but something had to give, as I just don't have much leisure time anymore. I still try to hit twitter a couple of times a day just to catch a breather.

Trying not to be a dull boy, and will still chime in when I can.

September 28, 2013 @ 11:07 PM

Cheryl

Well, good comeback for my Cardinals. They were down 10 to 0, but then went on to win 13 to 10. That's great. They had a rally and won. Let's hope they keep it up and win the Superbowl. Well, the day after tmorrow and it's Leafs at my Habs. Just wait. Habs all the way.

September 29, 2013 @ 8:27 PM