The Annual Yellow Pages Waste

The Annual Yellow Pages WasteI live in an apartment building, and every year at this time I witness the great Yellow Pages waste.

Untitled

These massive books sit there for residents, but only a very few older souls bother to take one. In 2013 the Yellow Pages are giant books of wasted paper and huge annoyances that often go straight to the recycling bin.

But they do make decent tinder for camp fires!

dale

I'm in the printing business & even though these Yellow Pages are rarely used - ink on paper keeps me employed

July 29, 2013 @ 11:40 AM

Al The Royal Pain

They also make good monitor stands if you need to raise the level of your monitor in a pinch.

July 29, 2013 @ 11:42 AM

Mississauga Phil

...and don't forget, as an emergency booster seat around the kitchen table....

July 29, 2013 @ 11:53 AM

Glen

Also used by circus strongman by ripping one in half.

July 29, 2013 @ 12:26 PM

Ottawa Mike

I see you came across a similar problem I have. Why waste the Yellow Pages? We get two or three different phone books a year from different sources. I have tried to find a use for them including selling them (http://michaelsuddard.blogspot.ca/2011/01/phone-book-for-sale.html) - No takers

Door stops, booster seats for older drivers and much more: http://michaelsuddard.blogspot.ca/2013/01/yellow-pages-detritus-on-my-front-porch.html

Would love ideas on how to use the phone book (including previous commenters noting monitor shelf).

July 29, 2013 @ 1:11 PM

@Irvine

In this apartment complex I can't opt out, but I am moving into a house in September...

July 29, 2013 @ 1:55 PM

Ottawa Mike

"Opt out" as Irvine noted?

Before filling out that "Opt Out" form on the Yellow Pages website consider this from their "Privacy Statement" as I noted on my blog entry (Here: http://michaelsuddard.blogspot.ca/2013/01/yellow-pages-detritus-on-my-front-porch.html ):

"We will generally collect and use personal information to administer our contests, promotions, surveys, reward programs and other services, to understand our customers’ responses, needs and preferences, and to generally manage our business.

We may also use personal information to contact our customers or suppliers with marketing or promotional materials regarding our products, programs and services or to assist our front-line staff in providing tailored sales offers to our customers. We may exchange or merge personal information with data obtained from third parties for the same purposes."

So if you fill out the form you basically authorize Yellow Pages to use, give away or sell your information to others? Enjoy the phone calls at dinner hours and even more spam e-mail.

July 29, 2013 @ 2:55 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Only seem to get the Gold book or Super Pages, (can't remember which) here which I just toss in the blue bin. Pretty well google anything I am looking for. I have customers in smaller towns that actually get alot exposure from these listings.

July 29, 2013 @ 7:30 PM

Irvine

@OttawaMike

I get what you're saying about online privacy but in reality the plethora of social media coupled with human nature online put people more at risk

Professional "penetration testers" who test the security of organizations often do reconn (using tools like Maltego) to scope out employees to socially engineer them. The internet is FULL of information about people. I understand your concern but it's a tempest in a teapot.

July 29, 2013 @ 8:30 PM

Cheryl

There is always a pile of these books in our mail room. I never take one. What's the use. It's a waste.

July 30, 2013 @ 8:25 AM

Ottawa Mike

@Irvine, for those of us who do not get telemarketing calls, we enjoy our quiet meals.

I do believe you are right about online privacy though in terms of finding things out about people.

But I do find it a little underhanded that sure you can opt out of receiving the large bound dead tree on porch but buried in the fine print is the ability for Yellow Pages to hire hooligans to call you to sell you duct cleaning services and windows amongst other things.

Hopefully Yellow Pages will die a slow death soon under the weight of all that debt caused by printing thousands of unwanted phone books and hopefully their next venture, typewriters!

July 30, 2013 @ 9:02 AM

Bonobo

I heard that a large number of households in Canada still have dial-up or no internet at all...I wonder if they still use print.

How can we stop Canada Post from delivering junk mail in our mail boxes everyday. The stacks of junk door hangers, "free newspapers" and other junk is getting out of hand. My recycling box fills up week after week...far more than just one printed yellow page book.

August 3, 2013 @ 9:13 AM

TUSBE

It's funny how all these companies talk about being "green" and saving the world while they go and waste all this paper!

August 20, 2013 @ 7:19 PM