Biking as an Influencer Over Where You Buy a House

Biking as an Influencer Over Where You Buy a HouseAs a teenager, I practically lived on my bike. If I could bike there, that's how I got there. I biked to university, I biked to work, I biked for fun, I biked everywhere possible.

This past year, I rediscovered my love for biking. This summer, I've been trying to bike as much as possible. Instead of swimming every weekday at lunch, I'm splitting that time between the pool and bike. Today at lunch I went for this 10.69km ride.

Screenshot from 2013-07-08 12:50:45

Sidebar: I wrote about the MapMyRide app last year. I use it to record my rides and it makes the entire experience that much more fun. Every km there's an audio update with regards to time, distance travelled and speed. If you bike, I highly recommend it.

Biking has become such a key part of my spring, summer and fall that it's become a major influencer over where we're looking to buy a home. It can't just be a 3-bedroom, 2-bathroom detached home I can afford, it has to be located in as bike-friendly a spot as possible.

I love biking Toronto.

markosaar

At the rate I'm going, we're going to require a garage to store my bikes.

July 8, 2013 @ 2:28 PM

@ markosaar

How many bikes do you have?

July 8, 2013 @ 2:32 PM

markosaar

Three if I include my girlfriend's. I plan on buying a "proper" road bike next year and not getting rid of either of the ones I have. I could also really use a mountain bike...

I've been miserably without a bike for over a week now, wasting cash on the TTC.

I have a Trek hybrid which has a rack and fenders on it. I use it if I'm likely to get rained on, or need to haul groceries. It's the bike I lock-up outdoors if I'm commuting somewhere I can't bring my bike inside, or is out of range of Bixi. I bought it originally transitioning from mountain bikes, but wish I'd gone more road-style.

Unfortunately one of my neighbours put a pedal through one of the spokes in our condo building's communal storage. It turned out to be a serious pain in the ass to fix because the replacement spoke had to be inserted from behind the cassette. Needed two special tools to unlock the cassette, remove all the cogs and spacers (and wash them), insert the spoke, re-assemble everything. I still need to true the wheel and put the tire back on. Hopefully I can ride on it again tomorrow.

My other bike is an Orbea cyclocross-style one. It's fun and quite fast. I favour riding it to work every day because I can make the 11 KM in 26 minutes if I have good luck with traffic lights, and store it in my office. Two Thursdays ago I was accelerating in traffic when I heard a loud CRACK and the entire bike seized. Fortunately the car behind me was quick on the brakes.

I thought just a spoke had snapped, and inserted itself into the drive-train. Turns out the hub itself was actually cracked and I needed a whole new rear wheel. Whee!

I figure with three bikes I should never be bikeless again. This happened to me last year as well, and both times the damned Queen street car has been on diversion, making the commute especially tedious.

July 8, 2013 @ 3:37 PM

@markosaar

I switched to a Giant hybrid, which is probably a lot like your Trek.

I still have my old beater and when I have some time I plan to revitalize it.

July 8, 2013 @ 3:40 PM

Tom

Glad you are seeing the light Mike. Now go tell Ford that cycling is a great alternative to the transportation problem that this city faces. Subways are for the suburbanites, cycling is for the downtown core which I think with all these condos outnumber the burbs.

Jus build the infrastructure & they will use it.

PS Tell the cops to lay off these ridiculous tickets for cyclists biking in RESIDENTIAL areas.

July 8, 2013 @ 4:51 PM

markosaar

I mixed it up for a while with The Star commenters, who were sick of THE DOWNTOWN COMMIE ELITES getting subsidized bikes.

I just ... can't even.

July 8, 2013 @ 5:05 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Tom: Rolling stops etc., should be a given to cyclists, even with my casual recreational riding, I don't think I ever have fully stopped, unless there were pedestrians, or someone else has the right of way. It's the people on the sidewalks going at a fast clip they need to zero in on.
Out here in the burbs, cycling is not as dangerous or stressful.

July 8, 2013 @ 6:49 PM

markosaar

I don't know how I feel about rolling stops. I come to a complete stop 95% of the time. I try to just balance, but sometimes unclip and put a foot down. Sometimes I can't quite balance and roll the stop a bit.

I feel like the law is there because while it's probably safe 99% of the time, there's that 1% where you don't see the pedestrian, or someone just suddenly decides to walk out, etc, and they have the right-of-way.

I feel like a dork being in the seemingly pathetic minority of cyclists, but I also can't afford to get slapped with a $110+ fine. It's happened to acquaintances of mine too. I just wish the police were more upfront about it, or enforced it more consistently.

July 8, 2013 @ 7:52 PM

Pete

I was up to 5 bikes at one point, but then I stopped competing, I'm currently down to 2 with a 3rd in my dreams and a 4th on my Christmas wish list.

@Markosaar Texas, or some cities in Texas have a law that allows cyclists to slow down for stop signs, stopping only if required by right of way and all stop lights are full stops. I wish Ontario would look into that option. Even go so far as to add "Cyclist" options to stop signs to indicate slow down/stop optional as I don't think *every* stop sign in T.O. would be a good idea.

Until then, I obey EVERY rule of the road. Been hit too many times by idiot cage drivers and morons riding on sidewalks to lead by a bad example.

Happy trails,