146 Years of Canada Lovin' Blog Entries

canadaHappy Birthday, Canada! You're 146 years young today.

Over the past 10.5 years I've written quite a bit about you. All of those posts can be found at https://www.torontomike.com/o_canada/, but here are a few of my favourites, in the order I wrote them.

1. Vimy Ridge
  2. O Canada! (2003 Version)
  3. A Distinct Identity
  15. Canada Owns Podium in Vancouver
  16. A Part Of Our Heritage Vignettes
  17. Our Gift of Tulips From Princess Juliana of the Netherlands

Happy Canada Day!

O Canada

Rosie

Where is everyone going to see fireworks tonight?

July 1, 2013 @ 11:02 AM

elvis

We did ours last night...

July 1, 2013 @ 11:15 AM

@elvis

No invite for Rosie and I?

July 1, 2013 @ 11:22 AM

Andrew

As most of the people who read this blog, Mike included, I had the privilege of working at CFNY from 1987-1994 mostly in the promotions department, but also on the music department side. With my gig I got to work on a lot of Canada Day's / Edgefests', but one year sticks out in my mind as my favourite: 1990 @ Molson Park.

Here is the lineup:

The Box
The Tragically Hip
54-40 •
Crash Vegas •
Grapes Of Wrath •
National Velvet •
Northern Pikes •
Pursuit Of Happiness •
Sattalites •
Sky Diggers •
Lava Hay

I can't remember the full actual lineup of the day other than Lava Hay went first and the last three bands. This day sticks out for a couple of reasons. One, it was a great sampler of Canadian music at the time. Two, CFNY was going through another transitional period. Three, I watched Gord Downie take his cowboy boots off his feet, set them down at centre stage, take a bottle of lighter fluid and light them on fire as he sang New Orleans is Sinking.

Anyway, Canada Day always reminds me of working those great events and what great Canadian music we've had and continue to have. I've played a whole bunch of great Canadian music today at the Jays game for the SportsNet truck and I can't wait to hear this crowd in here today. It's completely jammed at Rogers Centre - let's hope for a great game.

Cheers!
Andrew

July 1, 2013 @ 11:52 AM

CQ

@Andrew (11:52)
What about Labatt 52 being available at Rogers Centre? 'Pseudo Canadiana'? I had asked at the start of this season. What I notice from the game highlights is mainly the new large Budweiser lettering over the left side of the outfield.
Besides stadium ownership, Labatt had held Canada's top sales position (between 50 and Blue) for 55 years.

July 1, 2013 @ 2:38 PM

Andrew

@CQ

I honestly don't know about the beer selections. I haven't sat in the stands in over 6 years - so i don't know.

The Rogers and Bud signs are FREAKIN' HUGE! They are in every shot that is in the outfield... LOL

Great game today.
Cheers,
Andrew

July 1, 2013 @ 3:19 PM

markosaar

@Andrew, that looks like an amazing line-up. Still, I'd rather have seen Ned's Atomic Dustbin!

July 4, 2013 @ 11:56 AM