You Never Know in Sports: 2013 Jays Edition

Your Never Know in Sports: 2013 Jays EditionI've been a bit distracted lately with the wedding, the Stanley Cup final and NBA final. In fact, I haven't seen much Blue Jays action since I attended the longest game in Blue Jays history.

It seems things have changed dramatically these past two weeks. The Jays have won eight games in a row, and although we're still last in the AL East, we're only 4.5 games out of the wild card.

I didn't see this coming. Making the playoffs is still a long shot, but the fact we can talk about it on June 20 is pretty amazing. Of course, it required an 8-game winning streak to spark the convo, but there's no denying the fact the Jays are playing much better baseball.

This is why I love sports. You never really know...

Adam

I'm still hesitant. Lets see how they do when they start playing AL East teams again.

June 20, 2013 @ 11:14 AM

Derrick

It's sports. It doesn't mean anything in society. When they win, enjoy it. Why be cynical?

June 20, 2013 @ 11:31 AM

@Adam

Don't get me wrong, I'm super hesitant. In fact, I don't believe we'll make the playoffs.

I guess I'm just glad we're playing well after the awful ball I had to sit through in April.

June 20, 2013 @ 11:32 AM

@ Derrick

Why not?

Like you said, it's just sports.

June 20, 2013 @ 11:37 AM

Wayner

I think Wayne Gretzky said it best (at least I think it was him) "no one is ever as bad as people say they are and no one is ever as good as people say they are...substutute team for one.

June 20, 2013 @ 1:23 PM

Matt

So what you're saying is you won't be using #fuckthisteam anymore?

June 20, 2013 @ 1:45 PM

@Matt

I'll just use #fuckthisteam when they play like shit.

And they were playing like shit.

June 20, 2013 @ 1:51 PM

Matt

@Mike While we're talking sports your bro's podcast has a spam post.

June 20, 2013 @ 2:10 PM

@Matt

Thanks, I'll clip it.

Speaking of my brother's podcast, he's re-tooling... wants to change the format a bit. That's why he hasn't recorded in a while.

But he'll be back!

June 20, 2013 @ 2:12 PM

Ryan (Booner)

Mike, you were positive we had zero chance a few weeks ago. We had several arguments about it. To you, it wasn't anything can happen in sports, it was a dead-set not a chance option for this season (playoffs).

Who knows if we will continue like this, but I'm starting to think about how to spend that $50 LOL

June 20, 2013 @ 7:32 PM

@Ryan

I'll still make that $50... I didn't think we'd be this close to .500 this early, however. I didn't see this winning streak coming!

June 20, 2013 @ 9:58 PM

felix

8 in a row is certainly a good start. It's amazing what happens when you're not playing catch up every game. It always comes down to pitching and you can never really have enough, as the Jays are proving thus far.

I likewise believe there will be no playoffs on the horizon this season, unless there's something like the Tigers' 35-5 run coming up.

June 20, 2013 @ 9:58 PM