You Are Not Cheryl's Trainer

You Are Not Cheryl's TrainerHello friends...

I've been exchanging emails with Cheryl. I've never met Cheryl and don't know her outside of this blog, but she's been commenting regularly here since November 1, 2009. As of this moment, she's left 1,096 comments.

Cheryl can be awfully repetitive, going on and on about her love of the Habs, but I don't believe she's self-aware. As a result, I cut her a lot of slack.

I like her comments and I'd like her to feel welcome here. She's quite upset that people are giving her a hard time and some are impersonating her trainer. She assures me her trainer doesn't read this blog and doesn't play shuffleboard.

A fan of satire myself, I'm not going to ban parody commenters, but perhaps we can all give Cheryl a break and pick on someone else? I'm fair game, for example, and I highly recommend picking on elvis.

My TorontoMike.com includes Cheryl.

Mississauga Phil

@ Mike - As stated at the end of the last Open Mike, I was posting as Cheryl's Trainer (as I'm sure you know since I put my email address on every time I did). It was not my intent to upset Cheryl, and I will not do it again.

@ Cheryl - Seriously, my apologies it was intended in good fun, clearly it was not received that way.

June 17, 2013 @ 1:07 PM

@Mississauga Phil

Don't get me wrong, I loved it... because I got the joke.

It just seemed to really upset Cheryl.

June 17, 2013 @ 1:11 PM

Matt

Well played Phil. I had my money on Liz being Cheryl's trainer.

If memory serves Cheryl is blind. I'd be curious (feel free to tell me it's none of my business) to know more about what she has to deal with day to day. It might help put her posts in perspective.

June 17, 2013 @ 1:36 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Mike - And that is the last thing I wanted to do. So again, sorry Cheryl.

@ Matt - Liz would have been a safe bet, she's got a pretty smart-assed sense of humor too, from what I've seen.

June 17, 2013 @ 2:13 PM

Mike's Trainer

@ Mike - Stop picking on Rob Ford, or I'll make you do extra laps....

June 17, 2013 @ 2:14 PM

Liz is fair game.

And I don't have a trainer...

June 17, 2013 @ 2:16 PM

Lorne
And I don't have a trainer...
Wait, didn't you just get married?

Also, what's up with airline food?

June 17, 2013 @ 3:58 PM

Speysidephil

Hi Cheryl,
Did you know the Blue Jays are just 5 1/2 games out of the wild card position.
Isn't that great news.

June 17, 2013 @ 5:03 PM

Derrick

She's not self-aware?! I almost don't believe that.

It's your blog Mike, and I think everyone should respect your request, but someone should remind Cheryl that she is the one who keeps bringing up her trainer, making him fair game.

June 17, 2013 @ 5:14 PM

Cheryl

Thanks for doing that, Mike. I couldn't understand the joke, but I do have trouble understanding a lot of jokes.

So the Jays are not sucking anymore. My baseball team is the Diamondbacks. Well, baseball is boring, but I like Arizona. Well, playing baseball is a lot better than listening to it, believe me.

Well, I'll continue to post. Yes, I really do have a trainer come twice a week usually and we play tennis or baseball or just do weights downstairs in my condo gym. Yes, he really does curl. Anyway, Bruins win in seven.

June 17, 2013 @ 7:45 PM

Liz

Whoa...a lot has gone on here in a short time, I see.

@Mississauga Phil

C'mon, Phil. You're a good guy who just posted, what I thought, were funny nuggets. You made me laugh. I don't believe you were mean or mean spirited - apparently that's been left for me to take care of! :)

I was trying to remember if I ever did the Cheryl's Trainer thing or not - it's more than likely that I did because I am a stone cold bitch. I definitely did the George Smithershit thing - and don't see retiring that any time soon. I will however respect the moratorium.

I tried to be constructive and encouraging when Cheryl made it clear she'd had enough. I'm going to leave my thoughts about the whole 'being self-aware' (or not) thing unshared. That speaks volumes anyway.

@Mean & Married Toronto Mike

Fair game? Gulp. :) I've been reasonably well behaved as of late - or so I thought!

June 17, 2013 @ 8:23 PM

Mississauga Phill

@ Liz - I don't recall seeing anyone but me posting as Cheryl's Trainer, but I did enjoy the debates our personas had about how much smitherman sucks! !!

@ Mean married Mike(i like that name Liz we should keep that), congrats on the wedding...good selection on the songlist by the way

June 17, 2013 @ 9:32 PM

Mike's Trainer

Of course Mike has a trainer, how else do you think he got so fit for the wedding?

Off to shuffleboard now.

...crap, wrong persona

June 17, 2013 @ 9:35 PM

@Liz

I just think you'd have a good sense of humour about it. :)

June 17, 2013 @ 9:38 PM

felix

That's a lot of comments. I thought they were pretty humourous also, but sometimes the things we do and say are not perceived the same way by others.

June 17, 2013 @ 9:47 PM

Liz

@Mississauga Phil

Mean Married Mike, it is! Done :)

Maybe I just laughed at or enjoyed the "Cheryl's Trainer" contributions so much that I may have thought, I could have scribed that. I guess my point is I'm all about owning what my part in all this has been. I mean, SERIOUSLY?! There's been some entertaining tomfoolery shared in these hallowed halls.

@Mean Married Mike

Yah, bring it on. Yep, I'd like to believe that I would, in fact, have a good sense of humour about it all. Tends to be my default position on most things actually. I definitely don't take myself too seriously - how the hell can I? I'm going to be 50 in the fall so hey...I'm pretty damned sure I have way more days behind me than in front me. Puts all the shit in perspective.

And then after we all crawled out of the confessional, I see an entry from "Mike's Trainer" and all is right with the world again. :)

June 17, 2013 @ 10:16 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Tom who?

Ok but in all seriousness, am I missing something? I don't see what the big deal is. I don't understand what was so bad about the posts from "Cheryl's Trainer" and shuffleboard. It was all done in good fun, just joking around, and even entertaining.
Not that I would ever want or condone this but As pointed in open Mike there has been far worse directed at others who visit this blog, so you kinda got it easy. Unless I've missed something those posts from "Cheryl's trainer" (Miss. Phil) weren't offensive or derogatory.

June 18, 2013 @ 1:03 AM

james

I wondered off and on if maybe there might be a little more going on with Cheryl than just your run of the mill blindness. Mostly because I've been around way too many blind folks to think that's all there is to it--not to mention I am one. You or I may not have found the jokes offensive, but we also knew exactly what their point was--even if we had no idea who was behind 'em (good job, Phil).

I'm guessing, and this is without being privy to much more than a few indirect mailings from her, she's--er--I'd call it sheltered, maybe naive. Kind of have to explain the less than blatantly obvious to her. She knows her routine, whatever that is, but I don't imagine she can keep up with much that falls outside of that. Again, that's just a guess on my part, based on what actually little I know about her--and that only because I recognise her email address.

June 18, 2013 @ 4:13 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Liz - Yeah but we can't have Mike's trainer playing shuffleboard as well...I need to put more thought into my persona's I guess...

June 18, 2013 @ 8:17 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Jason - No, none of them were offensive or derogatory. But after having had someone try and make this place unpleasant for me, I wouldn't want to do that to Cheyrl..it's only fun if all involved are laughing.

June 18, 2013 @ 8:24 AM

Boomer

I liked my fellow Habs fan Cheryl until she said that she was cheering for the Bruins :) Ha ha...

June 18, 2013 @ 2:25 PM

Cheryl

Hey, Claude Julian coaches the Bruins. He used to coach the Habs. There's a good reason right there. Bruins in five. It would be nice to have the final game on Saturday. So Mike has a trainer. Maybe his trainer curls. Who knows.

June 18, 2013 @ 5:25 PM