The Beer Store Logo

The Beer Store LogoIf you're legally buying beer in Ontario, and you're not buying it at a brewery or the LCBO, you're buying it at The Beer Store. The Beer Store is testing a new logo at four select locations. Here's the old and new logo side by side, courtesy of Brand New.

beer_store_logo

Tomorrow I'll be dropping hundreds of dollars at The Beer Store for a little party I'm throwing on Saturday. My local Beer Store still has the old logo.

What do you think of the new Beer Store logo?

Al

Looks kind of dull. I'd have to see it in context with the rest of their marketing.

June 13, 2013 @ 11:17 AM

Derrick

Bring back "Brewers Retail".

June 13, 2013 @ 11:50 AM

Alan G

Beyond useless. It's ugly and drab. What is that line above the "B" supposed to represent? Probably created by some young punk with severe attention deficit disorder who got distracted after the word "The". How much money are they going to waste on a useless re-branding? Yuch!!

June 13, 2013 @ 12:29 PM

@Alan G

That white line about the B is definitely supposed to represent beer head.

This redesign is courtesy of Jackman: http://www.jackmanreinvents.com/

June 13, 2013 @ 12:31 PM

4x4 Time

I am not a big beer guy, but when I do buy it, it is always imports or Canadian craft beers from the LCBO. I think the new and current Beer Store logo's are as boring as the beers they sell.

June 13, 2013 @ 12:46 PM

Corey

The line above the B that is supposed to represent the "head" looks like an accent instead. Sort of stupid.

@Alan G. - just curious, why does it matter how much money they want to spend on re-branding?

June 13, 2013 @ 12:50 PM

CQ

The plain lettering looks like "Employment Ontario" sized in reverse.

June 13, 2013 @ 12:54 PM

Glen

One thing that's never brought up by any political party is the Beer Store is entirely foreign owned and is given a complete monopoly on beer sales by the province.

This stuff only happens in third world nations.

The logo looks like a smart phone app which probably what they were going for anyway.

June 13, 2013 @ 1:01 PM

Let's merge the LCBO and Beer Stores!

June 13, 2013 @ 1:10 PM

Al

Let's scrap both and license retailers to sell alcohol.

June 13, 2013 @ 1:25 PM

Corey

We don't even need to merge them. Many LCBO's now have a designated cold beer room, and have excellent selection. If they would only sell 24's, we'd be set. The only problem I have with the LCBO is that because they are government run, they tend to be hyper-politically correct, banning beers with names like "Delirium Tremens", despite it being renowned as one of the finest beers around. Also, the testing and approval process before they'll put an item on the shelves is ridiculously long and complicated, as you might expect from a bureaucratic organization.

June 13, 2013 @ 2:22 PM

4x4 Time

@Corey - Just curious, if you buy 4 6 packs of beer at the LCBO, is it the same total price as a 24 pack at the beer store? Do they not sell 24 packs because of size/storage I wonder.

June 13, 2013 @ 4:01 PM

My girlfriend occasionally brings home six bottles of Heineken she buys at the LCBO.

I think there's some deal where LCBO won't sell larger quantities in order to preserve the Beer Store monopoly in Ontario.

June 13, 2013 @ 4:11 PM

Corey

@4x4 - if I buy 4 six packs of my beer of choice at the LCBO it would cost me approx. $10 more than a 24 would cost me at the Beer Store.

I believe only stocking 6-packs is part of the LCBOs commitment to "socially responsible" drinking.

June 13, 2013 @ 5:16 PM

markosaar

This is a rhetorical question, but what's the fucking point when there's another store, often on the same block, that will?

June 13, 2013 @ 6:41 PM

Anon&on

The Beer Store is broken. Unless you're getting Bud or Keystone, the staff has never heard of the beer that is theoretically available according the wall of labels.
Keep the current logo. The Beer Store needs an app, not a new logo. The LCBO has a good app.
The LCBO has a better beer selection than the Beer Store. A new logo isn't going to make the selection any better.

June 13, 2013 @ 7:29 PM

Douglas

Anon&on - great points.

The Beer Store has virtually nothing that I would drink. I'm not much of a beer drinker, having learned over the years that I don't like the taste of the popular mainstream brands. What little beer I do buy comes from LCBO. My trips to The Beer Store are to return empties. Besides, I get a few token AirMiles from shopping at the LCBO, and those miles do add up. Over the years, I've bought the family's PS2 and PS3 with AirMiles, one or two Sony digital cameras, and I forget what else. If AirMiles offers the PS4 when it comes out, I have enough for it and plenty left over.

June 14, 2013 @ 9:19 AM

Douglas

I forgot, but one cannot help but point out that The Beer Store is demonstration to the stupid Ontarians who say that private alcohol distribution will result in massive drunkenness, higher prices, less convenience, etc. vs. leaving the distribution and retailing of spirits, wines and (more/better) beer in the hands of the private sector with less money going to the Ontario government to spend spend spend (we are talking about the McHorwynnety coalition here). For better and worse, this private sector system works.

On top of The Beer Store being owned and operated by the private sector, the majority owners are not Canadian.

June 14, 2013 @ 9:26 AM

Rick C in Oakville

I am working in Alberta for 10 days, and really not impressed with the selection the Liquor Stores have here. compared to home. Limited selection, and most are like a convenience store compared to your Metro. Only thing I like are the hours, you can buy booze up to 1am at the one by my hotel near Mcmahon Stadium.

June 15, 2013 @ 11:57 PM

tim

looks like a boring, stupid, waste of tax payers money. Don't fix it if it ain't broke

June 16, 2013 @ 7:53 AM

Corey

@tim - the Beer Store is a private company. Doesn't cost the taxpayers 1 cent to change their logo.

June 16, 2013 @ 8:24 AM

Design a Logo

The plain logo of the beer store is much better than the first one. But there is a need of a object I mean to say if you use a mug of bear with it. It becomes more attracting. Thanks for the share.

June 11, 2014 @ 5:23 AM