Discussing the Wedding Speech Controversies on Humble and Fred Radio

Discussing the Wedding Speech Controversies on Humble and Fred RadioI called into the Humble and Fred Podcast this morning to discuss some controversy swirling in my new bride's family regarding a line in my speech and an impromptu speech delivered by my good friend Humble Howard Glassman.

If you want to hear me read my speech in its entirety, listen to the most recent episode of my Your Blog Sucks podcast I recorded with Elvis, who was seated at Humble and Fred's table during Saturday's celebration. The episode is 30 minutes long, but we cover the wedding speech controvery in the first ten minutes.

Here's my segment from today's episode of Humble and Fred Radio, or you can download the MP3 directly.

You can hear Humble and Fred every morning on SiriusXM and you can download episodes at www.humbleandfred.com.

Lyle Lanley

I've got to see this video.

June 19, 2013 @ 2:32 PM

Anonymous Wedding Guest

You forgot the part where Humble said it was an Israeli custom to french kiss the bride and then tried to stick his tongue down Monica's throat!

Best wedding ever!!!

Seriously, it's the best wedding I've ever been to.

June 19, 2013 @ 2:39 PM

Dave

It was hard to hear the segment trying to get past Eileen's annoying as fuck laugh.

June 19, 2013 @ 3:02 PM

Banger

Yeah, Eileen sucks.

I wish I was at this wedding.

June 19, 2013 @ 3:04 PM

Dave

Fuck, I miss Kelly Cutrara so much...

June 19, 2013 @ 3:07 PM

Wayner

Wow...I hope you don't plan on spending a lot of time with the in-laws. This has all markings of typical hollywood sit-com

June 19, 2013 @ 3:27 PM

@Wayner

The thing is, we're fine... I saw them Sunday. We're fine together.

They just feel this need to call up Monica and complain about everything.

June 19, 2013 @ 3:29 PM

Liz

Mike, you're a great guy - anyone who takes his fabulous kids to buy Mother's Day gifts for his ex-wife has kindness in spades.

Listen, you don't have to be 'buds' with your father-in-law - and the tone of voice with which my sweet Freddie P cautioned you is telling.

Okay...more to say, but it's OT. Back later! :)

June 19, 2013 @ 11:16 PM

Ryan (Mike's bro)

I laughed a lot during those 12 minutes. Obviously being there helped me to understand exactly what Humble, Fred and Mike were saying. But Howard, when you went up and stood towards her family to say they had no clue what I was talking about, I got a bit confused. I get that they would not laugh (I think i saw one start to smile but in hindsight I think it was gas)as I was hoping you guys and Mike's close friends would, but all I really said was a merger of TorontoMike.com and Monica. Now this blog is a huge part of Mike's life and you'd assume that family close enough to Monica to come to the wedding would have either checked it out or know about it, enough for them to have some understanding... Am I way out of line in saying that? As I continued to "ramble" through my speech I did notice that they did not seem to be entertained one bit, and I went out of my way to speak highly of her mom and dad and how they raised her. As I said that I looked for a smile or maybe, dare I say, a tear... But alas, it didn't happen....

You were pretty tipsy Howard, more so than Fred anyhow, but for what it is worth, your speech and your friendly way of approaching me when you knew I was nervous made the wedding better in my eyes!!!!

At the end of the day, just looking for clarification on the comment that no one knew what I was talking about. I really thought I as the only one in that boat!! LOL

June 20, 2013 @ 9:51 AM

Wayner

In a "mixed" marriage often times it’s not the racial differences but the cultural differences that end up creating the most problems...

June 20, 2013 @ 9:59 AM

@Wayner

It's funny, but I totally forget I'm now in a mixed race marriage.

June 20, 2013 @ 10:03 AM

Wayner

@Mike

being in one myself...the issue never really comes up

June 20, 2013 @ 10:27 AM

Monica

@Ryan

"You were pretty tipsy Howard [...] but for what it is worth, your speech [...] made the wedding better in my eyes!!!!" It's nice to know you enjoyed the wedding, but I completely disagree with your statement. Although, it makes for interesting chatter after the fact, the wedding itself would have been better without it. My opinion as the bride :)

June 20, 2013 @ 4:28 PM

Ryan

@Mon,

I meant no disrespect at all. I only meant that he was jolly and in my opinion did not intend to insult, although i see how it would be seen that way. If I could reverse time I'd remove anything that happened that tarnished it in any way. I can definitely say that statement was selfish for sure. Sorry.

June 20, 2013 @ 7:30 PM

@Ryan and @Mon

What a great day that was.. I'm still smiling.

As the kids say, it's all good...

June 20, 2013 @ 9:59 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Whats a wedding without controversy in the speeches? My wifes father in law was tanked when giving his speech and basically told me to take the upper hand in the relationship and make tons of grand children for him to enjoy. (he said it alot more coarser than that) My wife and my British(like the queen mom) mother in law nearly slid under the table.
Mike tread carefully, respect your inlaws may have some issues with a more open modern relationship, treat them like you would your granny, I think you know their cringe level now. It doesn't mean you have compromised your principals, just that you respect theirs.

June 20, 2013 @ 10:38 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Meant to say "wifes Father " not father in law

June 20, 2013 @ 11:05 PM

Jason Patterson

Unless the Adam Carolla podcast was at your wedding, I might pass.

June 21, 2013 @ 7:02 AM

Wayner

In hindsight I'm glad we opted for a cash bar instead of open bar...At the time I thought we were "cheaping out" (as did my friends) but we did avoid the embarrassing situations that often times accompany free-flowing booze.

June 21, 2013 @ 10:05 AM

@Wayner

We had an open bar, but everyone behaved themselves.

We even had a security guy who probably had the easiest shift of his career.

June 22, 2013 @ 12:24 PM