Who Anne Murray Is To Me

Who Anne Murray Is To MeI'm still south of 40, so I don't remember Anne Murray's heyday with "Snowbird" and her other early and mid-70s hits. I missed the Anne Murray era, but I have very strong memories of her.

In 1977, Anne Murray released There's a Hippo in My Tub, and my parents bought it for me. I heard it all the time as a child.

hippo

My favourite tracks from the album were "Animal Crackers" and "Teddy Bears' Picnic". I friggin' loved "Teddy Bears' Picnic".

I'm not sure how the younger generation remembers Anne Murray, except from history books that remember her fondly as one of Canada's first big female solo singer success stories.

I remember her for the hippo in her bathtub.

Cheryl

Well, when I was a kid, my parents liked Anne Murray when she first started and they got all the albums for a while. Yes, Snowbird was really big in those days. There was no Hippo in My Tub though. Oh well, I liked her when I was a kid and my parents played her albums all the time.

May 2, 2013 @ 5:51 PM

Glen

There's a great photo of Anne Murray in this weeks Macleans magazine. It was taken in 1974 in her dressing room just after a show.

Here's the link:

May 2, 2013 @ 6:18 PM

Speysidephil

My Son did the lighting for a couple of years for Anne's shows.
He says you will never meet a nicer person.
Love Anne Murray .

May 2, 2013 @ 6:58 PM

twins from bolton

I met Anne years ago at 1 of my sons concerts as he was in a band at El Macombo as she was there as a friend of her daughters was singing on the Warp Tour also. I & my wife recognized her immediately as she was by herself just watching & listening. I approached her & she was so cordial. I told her I didn't like her music but loved her voice by my parents did & her response was you & nobody else (including parents there) know I'm here. You are the 1st.

She looked great & I told her as I get older I'm sure I will appreciate your music more. I did get an autograph.

Awesome talent & also Canadian & she is proud of being Cdn.

May 2, 2013 @ 8:41 PM

Rick C in Oakville

She is a true Canadian Gem. Her dad was a Doctor in Spring Hill NS, and he delivered 2 of my cousins back in the late 40's/early 50's. Spring Hill was a gritty coal mining town, and I think this probably helped Anne form who she is today.

May 2, 2013 @ 9:26 PM

markosaar

Haha. I was born in '82. There's a Hippo in My Tub was one of my first cassettes. Up there with Raffi, Sandra Beach, Fred Penner, and Rosenshontz.

Damn song has been stuck in my head for 25 years or so.

May 2, 2013 @ 10:25 PM

Gary J Fox

"All that Hockey Hullaboo and that bitch Anne Murray too"

-Blame Canada

(My only knowledge of Anne Murray when I was younger)

May 3, 2013 @ 12:43 AM

Cheryl

I never met Anne Murray. Glad you think she's nice though. I remember in school, some kids told me she wasn't nice, was a snob. Oh well, doesn't matter. It's the music that counts.

May 3, 2013 @ 11:08 AM

Anon&on

Is this a thinly veiled promo for H&F?

I've heard a bunch of interviews the past years with Anne Murray, and those who have worked with her. Collectively from those interviews, I can't not appreciate how good she is as a performer and true professional.

Bryan Adams is a big Anne Murray fan.

May 3, 2013 @ 9:36 PM

Not a promo, but their mentioning of Anne Murray made me think of this story. They they put her top of mind, so to speak.

May 3, 2013 @ 9:39 PM