Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 39: What Rose Thinks of Rob Ford

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 39In this 39th episode, Rosie lets us know what she thinks of Rob Ford after sharing a story about an asshole at McDonad's and her favourite series finales. This episode is exactly 32:40.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at https://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Sam in Pickering

Return of Rosie!

Welcome back...

May 29, 2013 @ 5:18 PM

Andrew

Bang on Mike!
Audio levels sound great - nice and evenly balanced. Rosie sounds the best she's had in the whole series.

Great job with the re-balancing.

Cheers!
Andrew

May 29, 2013 @ 5:52 PM

@Andrew

This pleases me, because I spent a lot of time the last couple of days playing with the mix.

I thought I had it exactly right for this episode. I'm very glad you agree, oh wise one.

May 29, 2013 @ 6:54 PM

Andrew

@TorontoMike

Yup, spot on. Tweek and adjust as need-be when needed.
All and all sounding great.

Cheers,
Andrew

May 29, 2013 @ 8:03 PM

Rosie

Thanks Sam! :)
Andrew, Mike warned me very sternly before we got rolling that you would be listening, relieved we did not let you down!

May 29, 2013 @ 9:00 PM

Liz

OMG! The best one yet! Thanks so much - great to have The Rosie back.

May 29, 2013 @ 11:30 PM

Andrew

Hey Rosie,

Nope, not at all. Best sounding one yet.
Glad you're back :)

Cheers,
Andrew

May 30, 2013 @ 8:26 AM

Lorne

@Rosie, re: Smash
I loved the first season. It did an absolutely amazing job of letting the viewer experience the creative process. It was about a musical, but it could just have easily been about writing a novel, filming a movie, etc. It didn't hurt that they had good looking people singing good music. =)

The second season could have been so much better, since there was so much more to explore. I liked the whole path to Broadway, contrast of Broadway to off-Broadway, politics around the Tony's, etc, etc.

The #1 thing that killed it (IMO, anyways) was the ultimate stupidity and unlikability of the new songwriter character. I don't get what was going through the showrunner's minds when they came up with that. "Hey, we have a great concept for a second season: the struggle of a new writer to make it in the business. I know how we can make the idea work-- let's make the lead character into a retarded idiot who consistently makes the most blindingly obviously WRONG decisions, is a complete unlikable asshole to everyone around him, has no redeemable qualities, and every second he spends on screen he'll spend whining like a little bitch child. We won't actually show him doing anything interesting that justifies his reputation as a supposed creative genius, but that's okay-- we'll have every other character constantly spout that he's brilliant and amazing!"

I don't get it, I really don't. And this character type seems to be shitting up shows left-right-and-centre! It's like the TV execs say "Hey, we need to tots relate to the young demographic, so be sure to include a teenager somewhere. And they have to be hip and cool. And they have to always be getting into mischief, cause that's what the young folks are like these days."

Seriously. Look at any popular, prime-time cable TV drama that's primarily focused at or starring adults. That little shit will be there somewhere. ARROW? Young sister is an out of control drug addict who is constantly "sneer I rebel lol drugs!". REVENGE? Young brother of love interest is every single week making the absolute obviously worse decisions about everything? "I live in a small town and work on the docks. I'll steal lobsters, wat can go wrong? Oh noes I get beat up by fishermen! I wanna be popular so I will break and enter to get in with cool kids. OH NO I CAUGHT and put the family business at risk. I have on evidence that people who are blackmailing my brother are also smuggling drugs. They're clearly conniving and dangerous people. I will sneer at them and confront them OH NOES THEY STOLE EVIDENCE AND PLANTED DRUGS ON ME!"

Those are just the examples I'm not actively blocking more my own sanity. At least in the case of REVENGE, they thankfully got rid of the annoying teen character by murdering him with Plotitus. Yay!

May 31, 2013 @ 12:03 PM

Rosie

OMG Lorne totally agree. I found Jimmy's character IMMEDIATELY UNLIKABLE for all the reasons you state. What a cliche to bring this fake character type into the show. And I found the introduction of the romantic dynamic with Karen completely ruined her character- she turned into a boring girl moping after a boy.

Such a shame- the production values were gorgeous and I loved so many of the musical performances. I rewound (need a new word for this) 'Diva's' aerial performance about four times. Stunning!

May 31, 2013 @ 3:50 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Welcome back Rosie, you seem to feel more comfortable behind the mic, even with a few curse words! Must be Rob Ford making you boil over. Thanks for the weather tip of High and Low pressures, never really understood them before, now I do.

June 2, 2013 @ 8:57 PM