Toronto Huskies

Toronto HuskiesTim Leiweke, the new CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, seems to be open to a Raptors re-branding.

I will acknowledge that we absolutely have had conversations about the colour and make-up of our brand, our uniforms and our image.

Now's the time to erase one of many mistakes made by the Toronto Raptors since we were granted an NBA franchise. At the time, Jurassic Park was all the rage. Kids naturally love dinosaurs, and Jurassic Park was so damn cool, dinos were everywhere.

We were essentially named after a fad. At the time I wanted our team to be named the Toronto Huskies because we had a team named the Toronto Huskies in the Basketball Association of America during the 1946-47 season. It's a cool name with history so I thought it was a slam-dunk.

huskies

I was wrong and the Jurassic Park fad won the day. Now's our chance to correct this oversight. It's time to change our nickname from Raptors to Huskies. Let's be the Toronto Huskies!

Corey

I don't know, Mike. I'm not sold on the name "Huskies" anymore than I am "Raptors". Beside the history of the name (of a team that was only around for one season) Huskies is as irrelevant to Toronto as the Raptors name is. In fact, Huskies would only reinforce the stereotype of Canada being a frozen wasteland.

I still say keep the Raptors name but change the reference to a bird of prey, rather than a dinosaur. Eagles and hawks, etc. are classified as Raptors. Also, change the colour scheme to include the now traditional Toronto blue and white.

May 23, 2013 @ 9:23 AM

@Corey

I'm hearing they want to brand as Canada's team.

Husky works.... they're athletic dogs that work together...

May 23, 2013 @ 9:30 AM

Gary

When the Raptors wore the Huskies uniforms on occasion, I always thought they looked fantastic. Simple and bold. I would love it if they went to that.

May 23, 2013 @ 9:32 AM

Justin

If they're going to change the name it better be to "Huskies." Change the colours to blue and white and it would be perfect. The name "Raptors" has been wearing on me over the years, it's a silly name. If the franchise wants to get serious and start winning a new re-branding away from that silly name would be a good start.

May 23, 2013 @ 9:34 AM

Ajax Mike

I'll throw my vote behind the huskies too, even though I'm not even a basketball fan. I haven't liked 'raptors' from the start.

May 23, 2013 @ 9:55 AM

AL

Huskies all the way!

May 23, 2013 @ 10:12 AM

Jamie

I don't care if they call the team the Toronto Ballickers......... Just get/KEEP some decent players and start to win some goddamn games. 18 years of suckage is enough!

May 23, 2013 @ 10:30 AM

4x4 Time

Not even a remote basketball fan, but never did understand the the name Raptors. Also, maybe before a "re-branding" strategy, they should develop a "try winning" strategy...

May 23, 2013 @ 10:35 AM

Wayner

Perhaps a name change was always in the books. As I recall they really wanted to attract the younger crowd as it was believed that quite a lot of kids loved the game (i.e. bought the merchandise) and were the future of basketball in TO... therefore why not name the new team after a popular movie franchise that appealed mostly to kids...dinosaurs were cool and the colours vibrant what kid would not want to be a fan…Remember the Grizzlies in BC?

How about the mighty Huskies?

May 23, 2013 @ 10:41 AM

CQ

Toronto Highlanders, or Pipers, might be more popular for this week.

May 23, 2013 @ 11:06 AM

Dawn Keibals

Three things that have become irrelevant recently in Toronto.The Raptors,the soccer team (Hell I don't even remember their name) and The Toronto Star.

May 23, 2013 @ 11:22 AM

Ryan G

Huskies would be cool.

Would be even cooler if, during games, instead of regular jerseys, the players wore those cheap grey sweatshirts with wolves on them that you see small-town redneck type folk wearing. Most people can't tell the difference between a wolf and a husky anyway.

Of course, they'd be quite hot wearing sweatshirts during a basketball game, but it's a small price to pay to be a professional athlete. We could even shmear mustard and other stains on 'em like real rednecks.

May 23, 2013 @ 11:27 AM

Tron

What is with wolves shirt? I see that at times. Don't really get.

@CQ, aaah I see what you did there.

Being taller than 6 foot 10 back then with no skill you get a free ticket to watch a game in the 40s. With the Raptors you get to be a first overall pick. Thank you thank you, try the veal.

May 23, 2013 @ 5:31 PM

elvis

Highlanders is already in use by a soccer club in the USL out of Victoria and a AAA hockey team. Might be tough to get the rights.

And it sucks. ;) [see our podcast]

May 23, 2013 @ 5:45 PM

james

Does ANYONE truly care? Someone already said it. Try getting some players and coaches that have a modicum of talent and could possibly win something.

Somewhat more important than a marketing scheme ,no? And as a bonus would actually help the marketing.

May 24, 2013 @ 8:43 AM

Ditchweed

If MLSE do go for a name change, the Huskies is the last name in the universe they should choose. It is a mark of failure and racism. It is the name of a team from 67 years ago that has no real tradition but rather just one barely played season with a terrible losing record, plus, it was also a "whites only" team from before integration. It would just rebrand the team as suckier looking "junior Timberwolves" failures far worse than anything the Raptors name could portray. As well, since it only has some connotation for local Toronto anachronisms who live in the past, it also slaps in the face and alienates all other Canadian fans. Trying to sell the Huskies as Canada's team would be an abject failure.

It is 2013, not 1946 and time for something new and more appropriate.

June 9, 2013 @ 5:32 PM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

Such a no-brainer. We The North ties into it perfectly. Also gives MLSE a ton of new merchandise to sell. I wholeheartedly concur.

May 29, 2019 @ 9:17 AM

Urooj Islam

Now that the name is likely forever entrenched with the team in the midst of a period of unprecedented success, I never understood the double standard that always arose with the criticism of the Raptors name over the years.

If it was such a fad then why is the original Jurassic Park movie still one of the most universally liked and beloved movies of the last 30 years and still spawning current day sequels with tons of success?

Let's be honest, it was a bad name because the team was so bad as is usually the case with sports team nicknames. When they are good, the weird ill-fitting team names are of little concern to anyone.

May 29, 2019 @ 4:21 PM

Rob J

The fact that there are no grizzly bears in Memphis makes that franchise’s nickname at least as strange as the Raptors.

May 29, 2019 @ 4:52 PM

Rob J

Off topic, but in their earliest incarnations starting in 1883 and back in Brooklyn, the Dodgers originally had bizarre nicknames such as: the Atlantics, Grays, Robins, Bridgegrooms, and Superbas. Interestingly, these nicknames were only used by the fans and baseball writers, and it wasn't until the early 1930s when 'Dodgers' (short version of 'Trolley Dodgers') became official. Having a favourite team with a 126-year history remains endlessly fascinating (to me). I love the fact that Civil War veterans would have been among their earliest supporters.

May 29, 2019 @ 5:59 PM