The Comment From Rinse about Rob Ford's Crack Use

The Comment From Rinse about Rob Ford's Crack UseOver the past few days there's been tons of traffic from Gawker, Reddit, Twitter and elsewhere to this comment left by Rinse on March 26. Here's everything I know about it...

First, here's what Rinse wrote at 9:09pm that March 26 night in response to allegations Rob Ford has battled alcohol abuse:

Here's the thing: Rob Ford DOES use crack cocaine. A friend of mine, her mother is a serious drug addict. Rob Ford regularly goes over to her house to smoke crack.

The problem is this: The daughter wants to expose Rob Ford's drug abuse, but her oldschool Italian grandmother won't allow her to "bring shame" upon the family, long story short. So basically the daughter has become complicit with the entire thing instead of doing the right thing. Shame on you Jasmin.

Rinse commented from an IP address that has never commented on TorontoMike.com before or since. The IP address belongs to a Toronto Rogers customer.

Rinse left his/her email address as rinse@rinseout.com. I've written this address and it bounced back as invalid.

I have no idea who Rinse is and cannot comment on his/her integrity. When the comment showed up on March 26, I completely dismissed it and gave it little thought. Once Gawker broke the story about Rob Ford being caught on tape smoking crack, it suddenly seemed far more plausible.

With so many new eyeballs suddenly reading Rinse's comment, I felt I should share everything I know about it so there's no confusion.

Rinse, if you're out there and want to elaborate, please contact me.

Tron

That was certainly one heck of an anonymous source. I remember when the Star had the "Ford has a drinking problem" story (aah the good ol' days, when the Mayor was viewed as just a drunk)they were criticized for gettings tips from anoymous source. I guess there is some value.

Don't feel bad in dismissing it, when concerning Ford it seems like the only source the media (not including the Star) seems to listen to is the Mayor press secretary and brother Doug.

May 18, 2013 @ 5:43 PM

@Tron

I don't feel bad for dismissing it. Anonymous commenters can say anything about anyone, whether it's true or not.

It's only significant now in light of what we all learned on Thursday night.

But it remains an anonymous comment.

May 18, 2013 @ 5:45 PM

Speysidephil

You people just won't give up.
That's the third time that post has shown up on Toronto Mike.
Give it a break, this story (fantasy) is going nowhere.
I am hopeful that you will all retract your comments when and if it is proven false.
And as for Rinse, probably another drug dealer past or present that seems to visit this blog.

May 18, 2013 @ 9:46 PM

@Speysidephil

It's the 2nd entry about this, and I thought it was necessary to share what I know because of all the major sites linking to Rinse's comment.

Do you really think the the video is CGI or a Rob Ford impersonator?

May 18, 2013 @ 10:19 PM

Speysidephil

@Mike

I have no idea what CGI means, sorry not that computer literate.
But also no one else on this post has seen the video.
But it seems to me that because it is Rob Ford the hangman is out and their is no other reasonable explanation to this story.

May 18, 2013 @ 10:33 PM

@Speysidephil

CGI is Computer-Generated Imagery.... think about the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park.

Three different people from two companies have seen the video. The two I know and respect saw it three times each, and have described in great detail what they saw.

This isn't a witch hunt. This isn't a conspiracy against Rob Ford. This is yet another fuck up by our mayor, only this one is a little more shocking and sensational than some of the others.

May 18, 2013 @ 10:40 PM

Speysidephil

@mike

Ok Mike, if true kick the son of a bitch out of office.i don't have a problem with that.
Somebody , somewhere will pay the price for this video, maybe even Colin Vaughn.
I agree that this crap swirling around Ford needs to end.
Lets see the video and we can all make a rational decision on his
future.

May 18, 2013 @ 10:56 PM

@Speysidephil

I suspect Ford Nation could see this video and still think their hero's being set up.

There's no way Adam Vaughn or any other politician is going to fork over 200k to a drug dealer.

Personally, I don't feel I need to see the video. I trust Kevin Donovan.

May 18, 2013 @ 11:03 PM

Speysidephil

@mike
Come on Mike, you really didn't mean to say that.
"Personally I don't need to see the video". I trust the reporter.
Please Mike , tell me you don't trust reporters stories that much that you wouldn't want to see the video to make up your own mind.

May 18, 2013 @ 11:25 PM

@Speysidephil

Why would all three reporters decide to make up this story?

They wouldn't. This isn't the X-Files. These three journalists didn't just decide to become crooked all of a sudden overnight.

I'm good, but I'd like to reiterate something.

Even if Rob Ford didn't have a substance abuse problem or a problem with alcohol or hatred for homosexuals and minorities and bike riders I'd regard him as a horrible mayor who refuses to lead. The circus that is Rob Ford detracts from the fact he's doing a absolutely horrid job.

His flawed person is a distraction from his lack of leadership and progressive thought for Canada's largest city. It's a bad deal for Toronto any way you slice it.

May 18, 2013 @ 11:30 PM

James

If everything the 3 reporters have said thus far is true, then this should be the thing that ends Ford. Politically, professionally, probably in some cases personally. If this is going to be the thing that ends Ford, we need to see that video. Drug dealers or not, fake or not, whatever.

Here's the thing. Say Ford goes out tomorrow and gets himself tested. Now, say he comes back clean. No one thinks that's gonna put this thing to bed here, do they? I mean people are still drudging up the court cases he was involved in--and he won those. We could sit here and argue guilty or innocent, right or wrong, did he or didn't he until Christmas, and all that'll accomplish is Mike, the Toronto Star and others are going to continue thinking he did, and Speysidephil, Dave and others are going to continue thinking he didn't. Meanwhile Ford will still be Mayor until the next election, barring some other crackpot idea between now and then.

May 18, 2013 @ 11:55 PM

Speysidephil

@james
Good point.
All I want to see is the VIDEO.
Let me make my own decisions .and sorry Mike I trust a reporter as far as I trust a lawyer to look after my best interests.
Trust me, it comes with age !!

May 19, 2013 @ 12:03 AM

Remember

Remember, a convenience store owner at Kipling Avenue and Dixon Road, where that crack smoking video was taken, said that Mr. Ford has been to her shop “many, many times” in the past to buy cans of Coke, and that she last saw him about 10 days ago. “He’s a nice guy. I don’t want to make trouble,” she said, requesting she not be identified.

May 19, 2013 @ 12:14 AM

No Dope

What gets me is how Toronto is now the laughing stock of the world because the world can't believe we put up with this bullshit. It's like we've become desensitized to it here in Toronto.

READ THIS EVERYONE:

"Lying about easily disproven things would become a Ford trademark. "

"According to numerous police and emergency service sources, 911 calls to the mayor’s Edenbridge Dr. home are a reality for the South Etobicoke division. Exactly how many calls have been made is unknown."

"On St. Patrick's Day, Ford was escorted out of the bar Bier Markt after "storming the dance floor" and exhibiting generally drunken and "incoherrent" behavior."

May 19, 2013 @ 1:00 AM

Suburb Steve

Why would a drug dealer with "A-list" type clients risk his creditability with them by outing one of his A-List clients?
Just askin'

I mean really, one thing these guys would be loyal to is themselves and the cash flow.. It's been reported that they were originally asking 20k for this supposed video. If the first offer goes thru at 20k they pretty well have ruined their business for alot less then what they probably earn on a Tuesday afternoon.
Wouldn't one think that their A-listers would never do business with them again?
Somthing doesn't pass the sniff test here.
Mike your bias is once again not allowing you to be objective.

May 19, 2013 @ 1:26 AM

Kevin

@Suburb Steve

You have a different sniff test than everyone I've talked to this weekend.

None of my friends or I were surpirsed at this news. What does that tell you? We all think it makes sense Rob Ford smokes crack.

Clearly Mike doesn't like Rob Ford and doesn't hide that fact, but this bias doesn't have him believing Gawker and The Star. Common Sense and Reason are all you need.

May 19, 2013 @ 1:30 AM

argie

Mike,
Any comment on your hipster Pres Obama - re: the IRS scandle?

I know, you know nothing about that, right?

May 19, 2013 @ 7:26 AM

@argie

Not really. If he knew about the targeting, he should be held accountable.

I'm not American and don't vote for their President. Between the two candidates, Obama and Romney, I had a clear preference. It seems Americans did as well.

May 19, 2013 @ 8:36 AM

Cheryl

I am not donating to that video. I don't want it. I am not wasting my money. Let's just kick Ford out and bring in George Smitherman.

May 19, 2013 @ 9:52 AM

markosaar

I think this video is evidence enough:

May 19, 2013 @ 10:01 AM

Gary

@markosaar

If you watch any council or parliamentary session you will probably find someone acting that way at one time or another. In some countries brawls break out. I'm not sure this proves anything.

May 19, 2013 @ 10:42 AM

markosaar

Apologies Gary, I was trying to be funny.

May 19, 2013 @ 1:26 PM

Quantico, Virigina

Hi Suburb Steve

You asked why a dealer would out an A-list client? The answer is simple: because there is 200 grand in it for him.

By filming Rob Ford the dealer committed no crime. It's no different than any of us taking a public photo and then selling it. If Rob Ford accuses the dealer of selling him drugs then Rob Ford admits to buying drugs which is illegal.

This is more common in the United States than in Canada. This dealer appears to have successfully painted Mr Ford into a corner so that his only option is to deny the allegations. That translates into a politician denying the allegations. How often have we all heard that?

May 19, 2013 @ 2:21 PM

Great Hall

Even when the video comes out, which, it will, Ford will continue to deny, deny, deny. "I was working under-cover to bust those scum-bag dealers!"

May 19, 2013 @ 4:07 PM

Suburb Steve

@Quantico Virgina
Mike Bendixen P.D at CFRB was contacted about purchasing the video for twenty thousand.
Not a high asking price for a dealer who just lost his high profile clients.

@kevin

I did not cast any judgement as to whether or not Rob Ford smokes crack. Only that the story as it has been presented does not add up. No dealer is gonna put himself and his clients in the public eye for 20 grand.

May 19, 2013 @ 6:29 PM

Suburb Steve

@Quantico Virgina
Not a high asking price for a dealer who just lost his high profile clients.

@kevin

May 19, 2013 @ 6:29 PM

anonymous

I'm shocked Dave Williams had no comment on this topic. Those long weekend getaways will always keep you out of the loop.

May 20, 2013 @ 3:23 PM

Anne

@Suburb Steve: When did Mike Bendixen make the claim that someone approached him and asked for $20k? I can't find it on his Twitter feed or any other location.

May 20, 2013 @ 3:31 PM

Gump

What I don't understand about the posting is that what Italian family names their child "Jasmin".
That seems strange to me.

May 21, 2013 @ 3:21 PM

Tron

@Phil "I mean think about about it, would he really put himself in such a situation with camera rolling . It just doesn't add up." - Do you really want my answer for this. Here it goes, i think there is some sort of mental issues with him. But to add to that, it's been an entire lifetime of people covering for him. When you live that entitled lifestyle, doing something like the isn't out of the norm.

Look at his driving record, he's got a DUI on record, he's been accused and/or proven to have, flipped off a mom/daugther, drive past an open TTC doors, driving while on the phone, photograhped driving while reading papers. The entire time driving a huge "look at me" SUV with "ROBFORD" as his licence plate.

It's like he's giving an F-U to everybody, others on the road with him, heck even the authorites who are covering for him. It's like the spoiled brat who can act up because they know their parents will not do anything and won't be suspended. His entire life people covered for him and I guess he just thought would happen again, heck might still happen.

May 21, 2013 @ 5:26 PM

DiDi

I'm feeling nostalgic for the good old days when Rob Ford was just a drunk.

So is the crack a "perk, privilege and nice-to-have". He's a pig in a suit and nothing more. I hope that Teflon Rob finally gets his comeuppance.

May 23, 2013 @ 4:24 PM

147

@Tron

I just wanted to add to that track record. My parents were driving me back downtown after I went back home for the weekend some months ago (not long after his driving scandal), and a black Escalade was in the lane beside us with its right turn signal on the entire time we were driving, congesting traffic because everyone was stopping to give him space to merge lanes, but he just kept going. The next time we were beside his car again, his window was rolled down and it was Rob Ford reading papers!

That's when I realized he truly is an idiot.

June 7, 2013 @ 11:03 PM