Still Stunned... Still Bummed #Leafs

Still Stunned... Still Bummed #LeafsI still can't believe it...

You follow a team for decades... watch them in the preseason, catch every regular season game you can, then buckle up for the playoffs. Heading in, you have reasonable expectations. I thought Boston would beat us in 5 or 6. I never liked the matchup, in fact, I think it was the worst matchup possible.

Last night's collapse with a 4-1 lead in game seven and only 10 minutes left in the game was so cruel, so intensely painful, a day later I'm still stunned and totally bummed. I feel awful.... like a good friend just punched me in the gut. I still can't believe it happened.

I remember the loss to LA in the Campbell Conference finals. Game 7 was a devastating loss, with a finals against Montreal waiting in the wings, but this feel so much worse. Up 4-1, I was planning Leafs parties for the Leafs-Rangers series, a series in which we'd have home-ice advantage. I was so excited for my kids, my city and myself, a lifelong Leafs fan who jumped 4-feet in the air when Kadri scored.

Go Leafs Go!

I realize it was just a game, and when I step back and get perspective, I realize how silly it is that I feel this way, but this one hurts.

Liz

Ya, I hear you, Mike. My husband and I were so into watching the game last night - made up a sweet batch of chicken nachos, made sure the beer was cold and that everything we needed to do was done by puck drop. When they were up 4-1, we were so freakin' hopeful. But, it ain't over 'till it's over and we know the rest. Sucked large. So close and then bam - done. Sure it's only a game but too be THAT hopeful, and that close, and then sweet - F'all is tough to take.

I was listening to Shredd and Ragan this morning (103.3 The Edge out of Buffalo) and their perspective on things was interesting. Basically, how do you fuck up a 4-1 lead like that? They said they thought only Sabres fans had to deal with that kind of punch in the face.

Anyway...

May 14, 2013 @ 5:00 PM

Keith

As ridiculous as it sounds, the feeling after last night's loss was equivalent to the shock and numbness you get after learning of someone's death. Still feeling it.

May 14, 2013 @ 5:11 PM

Speysidephil

Yep, it's a real bummer Mike.
This is a young exciting team to watch. They will learn a lot from that breakdown, as will the coaches.
The nucleus of this team will be back next year and I for one can't wait until October.
Out of curiosity, who would you delete from this team next year.

May 14, 2013 @ 5:12 PM

Anon&on

I think that's enough excitement for Toronto (the city) for now. All those people gathered celebrating, cheering... for a first round? That's embarrassing.

May 14, 2013 @ 5:41 PM

Blind Dave

After the second Boston goal I had an ominous feeling that the Bruins would come back and tie it. I felt the same way in the Montreal-Ottawa game when Montreal had a 2-0 lead and Ottawa scored. Right at that point I knew Ottawa would win that game.

The Leafs went farther than expected, and as the roster stands now, they may or may not be a playoff team from year to year. Wholesale changes, no. A few good tweaks, yes.

May 14, 2013 @ 5:48 PM

Cheryl

I'm happy. I'm happy I won't have to hide in a hole because I had that planned. I was prepared to get someone to help me dig a hole. Seriously. I hate the Leafs so I'm happy. I'm not sad at all except my Habs should have gone further. Next year my Habs and Coyotes make the finals. That will be awesome.

May 14, 2013 @ 5:53 PM

Banger

@Cheryl

Never trust someone who has two favourite teams.

May 14, 2013 @ 5:54 PM

Dave Williams

@Mike, it would have been nice for the city, but as a Habs fan I am happy. Maybe we could all group together and put our support behind the Jays.

May 14, 2013 @ 6:07 PM

Willy Nilly

Gave up following the NHL in 1975. However it is impossible to watch sports without hearing/seeing about the Maple Loafs. (sic) Couldn't be happier seeing this pathetic franchise losing in such a magnificent way!

May 14, 2013 @ 6:44 PM

Corey

Yes, Anon&on, the last thing the city of Toronto needs is large groups of people gathering together peacefully to have fun. Your comment is embarrassing.

@Mike - You summer it up perfectly. There's nothing more to add. I feel the exact same way. I would much rather they had lost Game 6 rather than have it end this way.

May 14, 2013 @ 6:52 PM

Argie

Geez Mike, thanks for bringing up that devastating game 7 loss to Wayne Gretzky, err I mean the LA Kings.

The great one was effing awesome - too bad it came against my Leafs.

May 14, 2013 @ 8:02 PM

Jacob

When they were ahead 4-1, I had a smile on my face, but an unshakable, nagging thought in the back of my head. I understood playoff dreams could be crushed in minutes flat.

When the Bruins made it 4-2, that was the sound of the other shoe dropping. I knew what was ahead. :/

May 14, 2013 @ 10:35 PM

Tim Legere

I took down the "shrine" yesterday (sniff!).

May 15, 2013 @ 8:59 AM

Wayner

Couldn’t watch the whole game but with 10 minutes left I was planning on buying a leaf jersey despite what Humble Howard says…

Each time I checked in on the game, during the last 10, I saw that the bruins were constantly in the leaf zone. I said to my wife this is not good…you can’t give them that much opportunity even if you’re up 3 goals…

She told me to shut-up

May 15, 2013 @ 9:06 AM

4x4 Time

Got this in an email today from a co-worker who is a Bruins fan..

I met a fairy today who granted me one wish.

"I want to live forever" I said.

"Sorry" said the fairy. "I'm not allowed to grant wishes like that!"

"Fine" I said. "I want to die after the Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup."

"You crafty bastard!" Said the fairy.

May 15, 2013 @ 10:21 AM

Mike from Lowville

I could feel the giant thud from all the people jumping off the bandwagon all the way to Burlington. Mike I will cheer you up. Let me know the best way to get those sweets I promised to you.

May 15, 2013 @ 11:13 AM

@Mike from Lowville

I was in Lowville a few weeks ago.

Write me at mikeboon (at) gmail dot com.

I'm still dazed... I'm still in disbelief.

May 15, 2013 @ 11:16 AM

andrew

EVERYBODY - Get over it. They lost a GAME & did deserve to lose with their playing in later part of 3rd period.

They made the playoffs & weren't projected to, they played Boston with a TERRIBLE record & went to 7 games.

A great season with the youngest team in NHL. What more could you ask for. They will learn with this collapse & they better make playoffs next year.

JUST GET OVER IT.

May 15, 2013 @ 3:25 PM

Cheryl

The Leafs won't win the cup next year either. My Habs will. I have two favourite teams. I love my coyotes as well so they'll both be in the finals. that would be good for next season.

May 15, 2013 @ 8:16 PM

andrew

You may have to realize that the Coyotes may be playing in another venue next year as Phoenix hockey is DONE.

Go Quebec Coyotes

May 15, 2013 @ 8:59 PM

Willy Nilly

Well Leaf fans, you shouted, "Go Leafs Go!"

And now they are gone.

Mission accomplished!!!

May 15, 2013 @ 9:38 PM

Liz

@Cheryl I'd be glad to dig that hole for you - my pleasure. I'll even have Smithershit visit you there and I'm sure I could persuade Grocery Gateway to bring you what you need. Hey, maybe even your trainer could throw a baseball down and you could throw it back up - you know, get a little exercise. I have workbooks on varying sentence structure and content that you could have - you know, to pass the time down there. I am at your service.

May 15, 2013 @ 9:40 PM

Ajax Mike

As a proud bandwagon rider, I'm sorry to see the Leafs go but not really all that broken up about it. If they were a couple more rounds in then I'd be more invested. As it stands, it's just more of the same old Leafs to me.

May 16, 2013 @ 1:17 AM

Cheryl

Well, no Leafs winning the cup so I really don't need a hole. That's a good thing. Well, nothing official about the Coyotes being done yet. they're not done yet. They'll be in the finals next year with my Habs.

May 16, 2013 @ 4:59 PM