How I Used to Make Music Mixes

The WalkmanI just assembled a nice 30 minute playlist for my swim tomorrow. It took me less than a minute. That got me reminiscing about the mixes I used to make for my old Sony Walkman when I was in grade school.

I had this big ol' dual cassette stereo from Citizen that was purchased at the nearby Consumers Distributing. It had AM/FM, dual cassete decks and a record player on top. I'd spend hours and hours in my room dubbing the perfect mix onto a blank cassette tape.

My source material came from my extensive vinyl 45 singles and cassette tape collections or songs I'd copied from the radio. When copying from the radio not only did I have to deal with the DJ talking over parts of the song but I'd usually record from 680 CFTR which meant a copy of AM quality sound. I didn't even care.

Because it required a great deal of time and energy to get these mixes right, there was a great deal of pride when I'd finish a tape that was exactly right. Today, when it takes less than a minute to assemble such a mix, I don't have that feeling. I miss that feeling.

elvis

Do you bring a little speaker to the pool? Are you generally the only person there?

May 26, 2013 @ 7:51 PM

95% of the time I'm the only one in the pool for my 30 minute swim.

I play the music off my Samsung Galaxy S phone.

May 26, 2013 @ 7:52 PM

Speysidephil

Wow Mike a trip to the past. 45's and cassettes . Nice post. I do remember.
Good for you to.

May 26, 2013 @ 8:28 PM

markosaar

There was a period in the late 90s where I was making mixtapes from MP3s heh. Cross-faded and everything.

May 27, 2013 @ 12:48 AM

Matt

I remember making C.D's 10 years ago and working out the song lengths to get as many on as possible. Shout out to Rosie who still uses blank C.D's

Anyone else remember that brief time when you could condense the music files on C.D's and get a bunch of songs on a C.D

May 27, 2013 @ 1:09 PM

@Matt

In terms of using a CD to hold files like MP3s, compressing the MP3s would indeed allow you to fit more on a CD.

But an audio CD that would play on a standard CD Player went by time... I think you could fit 80 minutes of audio.

May 27, 2013 @ 1:12 PM

Matt

I think it was Sony that came out with it, compressing MP3's on to a C.D.

It came with the program but I never used it.

May 27, 2013 @ 1:27 PM

Ryan G

I've dj'd for fun for years, so i've made full length sets of music using my gear to incorporate a couple of audio channels for cross-fading and beat mixing. In some cases I've also used another channel of audio for a microphone to incorporate commentary to discuss songs or other things going on (think of it as a podcast before podcasts existed)

And like a lot of dudes, I'd make "mixtape" cd's for girls I was dating, which worked like a charm.

But, when the inevitable break up would come, these recorded audio diatribes professing my love would still be out there in the universe somewhere... or, in one case, scratched up in a rage, busted into several pieces and mailed back to me wrapped inside a piece of paper that said "fuck you".

May 27, 2013 @ 2:05 PM