End of May Open Mike

Open MikeIt's hard to believe it's almost June.

What's on your mind this Tuesday?

Speysidephil

Not that I want to continue with this issue (the Ford brothers), but I heard this morning on AM640 an interview with a Seargent McClelland (retired) who was prominently involved in investigating the drug trade in GTA in the 80's.
He said that if Doug Ford was involved in the drug trade as reported by the Globe and Mail he surely would have been aware of it.
My question is if 640 can readily find and interview a credible source from the police department from the 80's why couldn't the Globe to at least put another perspective on the story.

May 28, 2013 @ 9:09 AM

@Speysidephil

That Globe story about Doug Ford's drug dealing in the 80s seems to be distracting you from the fact Mayor Rob Ford is repeatedly lying to us about the crack video.

Rob Ford's former chief of staff Mark Towhey went to police over concerns that David Price (the guy the Globe said dealt drugs with Doug and has this nice City Hall title but nobody knows what he does) sought the video:

LINK

At some point, it's going to be very, very obvious that Ford's lying through his teeth.... again.

May 28, 2013 @ 9:19 AM

Mississauga Phil

Bored of the Ford debate now....

Does anyone know why Blind Derek has been missing form the Edge morning show??

May 28, 2013 @ 9:23 AM

Lyle Lanley

I can honestly say there's never been this much smoke without there being a fire.

The Ford supporters just like him for voting against all taxes. That's it. They don't care if he smokes crack with Hitler every night. They don't care if he eats babies.

You can't reason with these people. They'll blame the media and whoevr they have to to make keep their guy in power.

Methinks the megacity was a mistake.

May 28, 2013 @ 9:24 AM

Speysidephil

@Mike
OK Mike, I am not distracted at all, I am just asking a very relevant question!
By the way you may want to start using the word "alleged" in some of your posts.
No video, no proof , all allegations.
I would hate to have to say I told you so.

May 28, 2013 @ 9:28 AM

Declan

Great news... I see it's warming up tomorrow in the GTA.

Summer is here.... finally!

May 28, 2013 @ 9:33 AM

4x4 Time

My wife and I went to see the Stones Saturday night as guests of a friend in his companies private box.From our vantage point,roughly between the blue line and center ice, closer to the stage, I saw a considereable amout of empty seats. Not sure what the final attendence was.

I have seen the Stones several times over the years, and they have always been a bit of a sloppy band, and certainly were Saturday night. They seem to lose interest in quite a few tunes.

Not sure why Carrie Underwood was the 'special guest" for Toronto, but she did nothing for me.

All in all, an OK night, glad I did not pay for a ticket though.

May 28, 2013 @ 9:38 AM

@4x4 Time

If someone handed me a ticket to see the Stones, I'd happily go, but I have little interest in paying for a ticket.

Freddie P pointed out that Carrie Underwood's in-laws are in Peterborough, so maybe she was in the neighbourhood.

May 28, 2013 @ 9:43 AM

Torontonian

I have never liked country. Some of the old country stuff is fine, but the new country stuff makes my ears bleed.

May 28, 2013 @ 9:46 AM

Mississauga Phil

Saw the Stones at SARStock a number of years back. I went primarily for Weezer and AC/DC, but I'm glad I can say I've seen the Stones Live.

That being said, I was underwhelmed by them and would not pay to see them again....

May 28, 2013 @ 9:47 AM

Mississauga Phil

May 28, 2013 @ 9:47 AM

Argie

Its too bad Ford doesn't have the zealous/shark legal team that Brian Burke has.

May 28, 2013 @ 9:59 AM

Glen

I wish more people knew about Joel Plaskett and his band.

The only radio station that plays him in TO is the CBC.

He's a Canadian treasure.

May 28, 2013 @ 10:16 AM

markosaar

Glen: I'm pretty sure I've heard him on the 88.1 demo stream.

May 28, 2013 @ 10:26 AM

AL

Just created a new comic that features a certain Toronto Mayor:

May 28, 2013 @ 10:37 AM

Gary

Does anyone think the Jays should trade Lawrie? I think so. In fact I would have traded him last year. A lot of attitude from someone barely hitting .200

May 28, 2013 @ 10:38 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Gary - I'm not against trading him, but i think it will be a while before it is done. He is a Canadian boy with a lot of potential (I said potential, not talent, he's not showing much talent right now). He's a fan favorite (for now). If this behavior and poor play continue, the shine may come off, but for now i think we are stuck with him.

May 28, 2013 @ 10:40 AM

@Gary

There's a non-Ford subject I can sink my teeth into!

Brett Lawrie Pros:

He's Canadian
He's a great defensive 3rd baseman
He's high-energy intense

Brett Lawrie Cons:

Can't hit
Lets intensity interfere with judgement

I'd be open to trading him if we could get someone of value back, but I don't want to give up on him yet b/c he's still so young and if he matures and the bat comes around, he could be one helluva player.

May 28, 2013 @ 10:42 AM

Banger

Did I just read that SARS is back?

May 28, 2013 @ 10:47 AM

AL

There is no way I'd trade Lawrie right now. He's the best defensive infielder on the team (at least until Reyes gets back)...he will grow up and his hitting will improve.

This team has enough veterans on it to offset the negative impact he may have. If it was the young Jays of the past few years, I'd be more worried...but with the veterans we have now, we'll be fine.

People seem to forget the punk that George Bell was when he was young.

May 28, 2013 @ 11:07 AM

Corey

Lawrie seems to be a bit of an entitled punk if you ask me. I don't want someone with his selfish attitude to be associated with being Canadian.

I see Rob Ford has made another amazing hire. I wonder how rigorous the process was when the role of "Special Assistant" is filled by a 21-year old Former Varsity Blues football player.

May 28, 2013 @ 11:12 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Cory - Depends on what he's a "special assistant" for. If you want someone to get you your drugs without having to worry about the dealers filming you...a 21 year old might be the way to go....

May 28, 2013 @ 11:13 AM

markosaar

Today is Rob Ford and John Tory's birthdays

May 28, 2013 @ 11:20 AM

Argie

mark,
One guy who calls himself a "conservative" yet doesn't seem to know the meaning of the word - nor does he have access to a dictionary which would tell him the meaning. The other, the best mayor in the world!!!

May 28, 2013 @ 11:31 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Argie - John Tory's not the Mayor......

May 28, 2013 @ 11:44 AM

Mississauga Phil

I mean you're description of Ford was dead on, I especially liked the part about not owning a dictionary, but yeah man..Tory is not mayor...

May 28, 2013 @ 11:45 AM

markosaar

I have no idea what the dictionary comment is supposed to mean.

To over-simplify, John Tory is probably fiscally conservative, socially liberal. I think he'd be the perfect compromise for the megacity.

Unfortunately this is shaping up to be a showdown between Olivia Chow and Ford, both who suck. Toronto politics have become too divisive.

May 28, 2013 @ 12:36 PM

Argie

mark,

How could you not understand my basic joke???

Also, who the hell wants a "compromise" mayor? I want the candidate who's policies best align with mine.

May 28, 2013 @ 12:46 PM

Speysidephil

Well said Christie. BRAVO!!!

May 28, 2013 @ 1:19 PM

AL

Hey Mike,

Any thoughts on Chester Bennington taking over as lead singer for STP?

May 28, 2013 @ 2:32 PM

@AL

As you know, I've always enjoyed STP, catching them live a couple of times. I also saw Velvet Revolver once and thought Scott did a great job on both the STP tracks and the GNR tracks.

I've also seen Linkin Park and consider them a guilty pleasure, so I was very curious to watch the YouTube clips of Chester Bennington singing for STP.

I was pleasantly surprised. Not bad at all...

Having said that, I doubt I'd fork over a dollar to catch STP with Chester. I just don't feel a need to see that now.

May 28, 2013 @ 2:37 PM

AL

I like their new single. I think Chester has the power and the range. I LOVE STP and consider Weiland a top 10 frontman...but he just couldn't keep his sh*t together which is too bad.

I probably wouldn't pay to see them in this current incarnation either, but there are few bands that I'd pay to see live anymore.

I'm interested in hearing more of the new stuff though.

May 28, 2013 @ 2:42 PM

Mississauga phil

I am a huge STP fan. Did not realize the guy from LP had taken over.....I really, really can't stand Linkin Park, so I am doubtful I will enjoy this new incarnation.....why call themselves STP, pick a different name for a very different band....

May 28, 2013 @ 2:47 PM

AL

I would agree Phil except that they're playing all STP tunes and really the Deleo Bros did most of the writing so as far as I'm concerned, they are STP...just with a new singer.

May 28, 2013 @ 2:51 PM

AL

Phil, keep an open mind and take a listen to the new single.

It's classic STP and Bennington actually reminds me of Weiland in his delivery on this one.

May 28, 2013 @ 2:53 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Al - I'd agree with you if I didn't hate Linkin Park soooo much.

And Chester's voice really bugs me.

May 28, 2013 @ 2:53 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Al - that last comment was written before i saw your second post. I'll give it a listen and reserve judgement until then.

Thanks for the link!

May 28, 2013 @ 2:55 PM

AL

BTW I'm not a huge LP fan either. Just luke warm on them.

May 28, 2013 @ 2:56 PM

Al Coholic

Heard this comment yesterday " Brett Lawrie has all the hardware,but lacking in the software department"

May 28, 2013 @ 3:11 PM

AL

I heard/read that one too. I thought it was perfect!

May 28, 2013 @ 3:28 PM

Ed

If you're like me, you're confused by now with what's happening with Rob Ford.

I believe he's a fuck-up and most unworthy of his current title, but I have friends who are just happy he votes against taxes. Sort of like how people will support a dictator who keeps the trains running on time.

But if you're undediced, you really should take a few minutes from your busy Tuesday to catch up on this current Ford drama. Here's how it all unfolded. It will eventually end with Ford being exposed as a liar and stepping down dishonourably.

May 28, 2013 @ 3:40 PM

Tron

I could handle Lawrie antics if he isn't hitting 210. There a lot of hype about him but I'm starting to have doubts if he will ever be that 30 HR/300 AVG guy. Not sure if he's ever going to be that player, but he's still in his early 20s, I will give him a few more season.

@Ed nothing to see here, says Ford Nation. Keenan has really becoming a great underrated writer in the city. I don't think Ford will step down, you have to have honour or sense of responsbility to your community or party to do that. Fords has always been about Fords, look how quickly they are willing to throw others under the bus (even those who agree with them 90% of the time) everytime they don't follow their wants. He has a falling dictator personality (look how he does his radio show), staying to the end, no matter what, surrounding himself with family and loyalists to the Ford family.

HA BlatchFORD, I am sure she was so proud when the Fords listed her in a list of his personal fart catches during his radio show with Sue Ann Levy, Jerry Agar and Joe Warmington. It must so nice to be on a list of the scandalous Mayor "fair" list. This is really how dumb this guy is, even though everybody knows these guys are on his butt kiss list, he came right out and outed them. Wow. To speak to the article, the goal posts change when we elected a mayor who on crack.. allegedly, and hangs out with drug dealers.. confirmed. When the last time Blatchford did anything that wasnt opinon/column based.

Now magazine online, just put up a great story of the woman who called up the Ford radio show to ask about the photo Ford was in with drug dealers. Where Ford replied she was a racist for wondering how did you take a casual photo with drug dealers. But how did she get on with a parade of Ford supporters getting through the entire show. Well she pretended to be a Ford nation member telling the screener she wants to support the mayor and he should sue everybody. She went throgh and then asked the question people really wanted. This whole CFRB/Rob Ford infomercial bothered me for a long time.

May 28, 2013 @ 4:55 PM

Cheryl

You don't like modern country? I really like lots of modern country. Sean Hogan is a great Canadian singer. Also Rascal Flatts and lady Antebellum is great. Mindy McCready was great. So sad she died. I love modern country and classic rock.

Well, so both western conference semifinals are going to a game 7. I told you they would. Sharks will win tonight, and Hawks will win tomorrow night. Hawks will beat the Sharks in 7. Bruins will beat the Pens in 7. Bruins will beat the Hawks in 7. There you have it.

Who cares about Brett Lorrie. I don't. Well, he's a baseball player so of course I don't care about him. There is so much baseball. Why do they have to play 164 games anyway. We need a baseball lockout.

May 28, 2013 @ 4:58 PM

George Smitherman

@ Cheryl:

Please stop endorsing me! With friends like you, who needs enemies?

P.S. Please get your trainer off my crokinole board. (And, b.t.w., baseball is a GREAT game. No inane fighting!)

May 28, 2013 @ 5:22 PM

Cheryl's Trainer

@George Smitherman - I love baseball too!

....and I play Shuffleboard damnit!

May 28, 2013 @ 10:46 PM

Argie

I hear from a good source that Rascal Flatts (whoever or whatever that is ) LOVES baseball.

May 29, 2013 @ 8:29 AM

Cheryl

Well, I was wrong. The Kings beat the Sharks last night. doesn't really matter. Hawks win tonight, then beat the Kings in seven. Bruins beat Pens in seven. Bruins beat Hawks in seven and win the cup.

I don't believe that George Smitherman and my trainer are on this forum. I don't believe it. My trainer really curls. You want to talk to my trainer? Fine. Just email me and I'll give you his contact information. You guys are making stuff up. Do me a favour and shut up.

May 29, 2013 @ 11:21 AM

Speysidephil

Hahahahahahaha, way to go Cheryl , you tell em!! Love it.

May 29, 2013 @ 11:34 AM

Argie

Hi Cheryl,

Curling is boring. Even the ice markings are boring (a bunch of circles, really???). I love baseball - especially long scoreless games.

Habs suck, Leafs are great and George Smitherman is a goof.

May 29, 2013 @ 11:48 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Cheryl - Way to show some teeth!

But...no the Bruins will not win the cup. (you do realize that most Habs fans hate the Bruins as much as they do the Leafs right??)

May 29, 2013 @ 12:42 PM

Pete

@Argie - Awesome!

OK, for the whole group of you, except Cheryl's Trainer and George Smitherman, I think they are fake too, Cheryl ;-)

How did the whole Ford video thing start? I know Gawker was first to publish, but how did Gawker and the Star come to be in contact with drug dealers to be made aware of the existence of the alleged video in the first place?

--Pete

May 29, 2013 @ 4:03 PM

Anon#2

@Mississauga Phil
Derek says that his hours have changed @ the edge but his duties are the same. Family commitments, I think he said.

Can't we leave Rob Ford alone until this "alleged" video surfaces? Why does he have to defend himself about something that doesn't exist?

May 29, 2013 @ 8:29 PM

@Anon#2

We have a number of questions for the mayor... if he thinks he can just ignore them and continue with business as usual, he's sorely mistaken.

Answer our questions Robbie.... you're an elected official.

May 29, 2013 @ 8:32 PM

Speysidephil

As I said before , according to the lefties GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT.
Love to have you guys on a jury.

May 29, 2013 @ 9:11 PM

@ Speysidephil

This isn't court. Ford's not on trial.

He's the mayor and he has some serious explaining to do.... but he refuses to answer questions.

May 29, 2013 @ 9:12 PM

And I'm no "lefty".

May 29, 2013 @ 9:12 PM

Anon#2

Sorry Mike, that makes no sense.

If I accuse you of something, are you guilty until proven innocent?

I'm not saying he isn't an embarrassment to the city (he is) or I would vote for him (I would have 6 months ago) but back off until there's real proof.

May 29, 2013 @ 9:12 PM

@Anon#2

Again, this isn't court. There are more than enough good questions before the mayor.

He should answer them. Until he does, I suspect the press will continue to ask them at every opportunity.

And they should.

May 29, 2013 @ 9:14 PM

Speysidephil

@mike

Come on Mike, your a closet leftie, come out and admit it.
I know you have said before you have voted for all the parties, but really any one that reads this blog knows deep inside your political leanings.
So come on, come out and admit it.

May 29, 2013 @ 9:49 PM

Speysidephil

By the way is anyone watching hockey anymore. I see Chicago as an upset winner.

May 29, 2013 @ 9:51 PM

I'm watching hockey right now... 1-1 in 3rd period of a game 7. I wouldn't miss it.

Seriously, I'm not sure why anyone would call me a lefty. Do you think I'm a lefty because I don't like Rob Ford, I think homosexuals should be allowed to marry the same sex and I believe women should have the right to abort?

I'd argue that just makes me typical around here.

May 29, 2013 @ 10:13 PM

Speysidephil

Yep Mike , typical but Left.
I'm loving this Chicago / Detroit game.

May 29, 2013 @ 10:20 PM

@Speysidephil

I honestly don't think it's lefty. I'll write more about this in an entry.

Right now I've got a hockey game to finish.

May 29, 2013 @ 10:24 PM

Cheryl

Okay okay. If you want to talk to my trainer, I'll give you his contact information if you email me. My trainer doesn't talk like that and he does not play shuffleboard. Anyway, the Bruins will win the cup. They'll win it in seven after they beat the Pens in seven. They will do it. Believe me.

May 30, 2013 @ 4:53 PM

Tron

The whole left/right thing confuses me also. The right-wing philosophy is less government, but wants to tell people who to marry and what women to do with their body. It reminds me when conservatives were for profiling, until it happened to them, then they were against it

Read this somewhere else, forget Ford, forget the Star. Lets say this happens in any work place. You are the boss, and there's a higher ranking employees who have known drug history. This start happening 1) you hear rumors from three different people from another department that he was in a video smoking crack. 2) You want to ask him "what's up with that" but he spend a week hiding from you and taking back entrances. 3) You find out his entire family has had drug issues 4)Authorities start interviewing people. 5) five quality people he's hired as "staff" with strong resume quit 6)He replaces rest of staff with friends and family.

If you are the boss of any company and that is happening to a high managment member, your not going to ask question? Fine you want to give him the benefit of the doubt on the first and second thing, but when each day something else is happening. Not just "reports" but things happening in front of your eyes like the quitting. Is this a coincidence? I never had a family or friend join a cult, but talking to Ford nation has to be like that. How do you not see mass quitting and just think it's normal. But this has been the thing with Ford supporters from the beginning, abnormal behaviiour is considered normal.

I did like seeing the conservative party of the province when talking about Doug ford went from "He can be an all-star candidate" a few months back to "Technically he never was elected in the conservative party" like they said today.

May 30, 2013 @ 5:54 PM