Another Ball Season Kicks Off Tonight

Another Ball Season Kicks Off TonightI've been playing with the same slo-pitch team for well over a decade now. We've had a few names, from Hooray For Everything to Raging Storm and now simply Storm, but it's been the same core group since the beginning.

Tonight, we kick off our season. This is one annual ritual I've grown to embrace, despite the fact I've lost some range. Some will argue I never had much range, but it was only 8-years ago I played SS for this team. Feels like yesterday...

Storm: I'll see you all tonight. I'll do my very best to flash a little leather at 3rd base and make that long throw to first, and hopefully make some good contact at the plate after a long, harsh winter. But no guarantees... I'm an old man.

Tools of the Trade

Mike Kic

I'll try to get you the ball with less than 2 bounces from LF.....damn it sucks getting old!

May 6, 2013 @ 3:45 PM

@Mike Kic

Please... I'm still the oldest guy on this team. I've got at least 6 years on you...

May 6, 2013 @ 3:49 PM

Ottawa Mike

can you lose the loser team hat? I have an New York Yankees hat you could wear #FuckThisTeam

May 6, 2013 @ 4:07 PM

@Ottawa Mike

That hat isn't from the 2013 Blue Jays. It's from the 1992 Blue Jays.

In 1992, I happily used the hashtag #LoveThisTeam.

May 6, 2013 @ 4:11 PM

Speysidephil

Mike, you are giving up the Leaf game for baseball???

May 6, 2013 @ 4:28 PM

@Speysidephil

I've made a commitment to this team... we need to field our full team or we default, and we've never defaulted.

So yes, I'll miss the first period or two tonight... I'm hoping to catch the 3rd, though.

May 6, 2013 @ 4:29 PM

Ottawa Mike

@Toronto Mike

I'm torn about the 1992 Jays Team hat. Yes they were terrific that year and I would have worn that hat for many a year.

Problem is the bandwagon has fallen apart (as TTC Brad would say: "Mind the gap!") and the whole Blue Jay name has been tarnished by Robbers. Yes Robbers, we'll market the hell out of the team in spring to get your hopes up year after year. "This will be the year that will be competitive!" "This will be the year we will make the playoffs!" So much promise, but, come the end of May the same old same old, out of it and the attendance numbers start to dwindle.

I personally have given up on Robbers for both internet and the Blue Jays. After dealing with Robbers after they bought old reliable Aurora Cable Internet and 2 moves later (to Richmond Hill and Ottawa) with Robbers screwing up all three times changes were needed.

After reading the Toronto Star's Consumer Columnist, Ellen Roseman, noting her top two most complained about companies were Robbers and Bell, I decided to go elswhere, Teksavvy is where I'm at with no issue in service or customer service.

Robbers needs to show me they care about baseball and their customers before I would return to more than a game per year. Otherwise, it will be the same old same old:

1. Spring: "We'll field a competitive team this year!" raise seat and food prices a couple of bucks.

2. Summer: "Come watch a game this summer, please the team is great!" Meanwhile the actual team is barely over .500

3. Fall: "Thanks for a great season, there is always next year!"

4. Wash, rince, repeat and rob the customer, Robbers style!

May 6, 2013 @ 6:06 PM

Digger03

Feel the leg burn Mike...off season is a bitch!

Digger