Grilled Cheese Open Mike

Open MikeNorth Korea is still making threats, the Jays are 3-6, the Leafs are playoff-bound, the Toronto casino is dead and it's National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day.

Mmmmm... grilled cheese.

Blind Dave

Ohhhh, I loooove grilled cheese!!!

I am not panicking about the Jays, but man, they look disjointed. I have no issues with Gibby, but this team sure ain’t gelling at the moment. Great brawl yesterday between the Dodgers and Padres. Maybe the Jays need a bit of passion like this.

Could it be the Habs and Leafs in round one of the playoffs? That would be one kickass series and filled with passion. Mike, you’ll have to create a special thread just for that. I do think there are a few Habs fans on this list.

I’m down to 84 kg or 185 lbs!!! I started at just under 200 lbs in the middle of February. My Toronto Mike diet is coming along quite nicely. Now if the weather would improve and the snow would melt, I could get an outdoor exercise regimen going as well. I’m also totally fed up with winter. We haven’t had a break since just after Haloween.

I’ll try to knock off the last three podcasts this weekend. I’ve been incredibly busy lately and have fallen behind. I’m missing my “fix”.

I get to have my granddaughter this evening – yaay! She’s standing up by herself, albeit briefly, and occasionally she does discover that gravity hurts. She usually lands on her butt so it’s a good thing diapers are padded! However, the cat is getting nervous, as his arch nemesis is becoming much more mobile. It reminds me of the Foghorn Leghorn joke where he gets his feathers blown off and says he keeps them numbered for just such an emergency. I can see clumps of cat hair coming out fairly soon. Time to number that fur!

April 12, 2013 @ 9:43 AM

@Blind Dave

Congrats on the weight loss. That's awesome.

After bouncing off the 66kg bottom in the summer I'm right now a fit 68kg... the diet has slipped a little but I swim every day and do a little lifting now trying to add more upper body muscle. 15 months in, I feel great.

There are Habs fans everywhere... they've moved to the GTA from the east... not necessarily Quebec but maybe Ottawa (growing up before the Sens) or the Maritimes. That series would be crazy fun.

April 12, 2013 @ 9:48 AM

Victoria

North Korea scares me. Am I the only one? :)

They might not get us here but they can sure cause deaths in Asia.

April 12, 2013 @ 10:00 AM

Dave Williams

@Mike, you have been silent on Hazel Mccallion? What do you think about her present situation and if this was Rob Ford, how would you react?
I am also interested in what Mississauga Phil this about this situation as it seems he has a dog in this fight.

April 12, 2013 @ 10:07 AM

@Dave Williams

Do you think I'm giving Hazel McCallion a free pass because she's not Rob Ford? Not even close....

I don't live in Mississauga and I haven't dove into this issue whatsoever. If Hazel were mayor of Toronto, I'd have done plenty of reading and would have shared my opinion.

April 12, 2013 @ 10:12 AM

Speysidephil

Memo to the North Korean People:

You are the laughing stock of the World. Grow up and do something g about that horrible regime in your country. And as for your nuclear weapons threats the west has bigger firecrackers.

@Mike
I assume from your statement you are not in favour of a resort/casino in Toronto. Too bad, it would do wonders for your economy.
The 905 will gladly take it.

April 12, 2013 @ 10:14 AM

@Speysidephil

I had the casino chat with my girlfriend last night.

I'd be open to the possibility if we were talking about the Woodbine Racetrack area of Toronto. But downtown? It doesn't fit nor make any sense for Toronto. For once, I agree with Toronto religious leaders on this one.

Read these two articles and tell me you want this casino in downtown Toronto at this cost.

Edward Keenan's response to Rob Ford's Open Letter:

Margaret Wente's (yes, she makes good sense here, believe it or not!) Commentary:

Thankfully, it doesn't have a chance of getting past council. The vote will be overwhelmingly against the casino in Toronto. Casinos aren’t for cities on their way up. They’re for cities out of options.

“The state ought to be trying to do something for its citizens, not do something to its citizens.”

April 12, 2013 @ 10:21 AM

Maureen

I hate the idea of a massive slot machine complex in downtown Toronto.

I've written my councillor and asked him to vote no. I hope other Torontonians have done the same.

April 12, 2013 @ 10:24 AM

Argie

I don't know if its his fault they're 3-6 but look for Gibbons to be canned if they cant turn this thing around. If they're 4th or worse in the division in late May, he will be gone.

Rogers have invested way too much for this season to be a disaster.

Also, I'm sick of hearing Patrick Burke on the Fan. Enough already.

April 12, 2013 @ 10:24 AM

Brian

The Leafers will be competitive against any team in the conference except Boston and Pittsburgh.

But I like our chances against any of the rest.

Right now, we have Boston in the first round and that shares the be-zeebus out of me.

April 12, 2013 @ 10:26 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Loving what my Habs are doing this year.

April 12, 2013 @ 10:26 AM

@Speysidephil

As for the 905 getting the casino instead of Toronto, so be it. But be warned... the revenue you’ll actually get from the casino might be more like $15 or $20 million per year. It won't be anything like the number Rob Ford made up and tosses around.

@Brian

I agree, we don't match up well against the Bruins in a best-of-7. I hope that doesn't happen in the first round.

@Argie

I'm still ticked at Patrick Burke's dad and the cease and desist letter. I haven't caught him on The Fan lately, but I rarely listen these days.

April 12, 2013 @ 10:30 AM

Glen

I need help from the readers of Toronto Mike.

I want to install a wireless music player in my home. The problem is I don't know anything about routers which I need for my desktop PC.
I live in a 2 story home and in the summertime I would like to use the player on my backyard patio for entertaining. I also don't want to spend more than $75 for a wireless router.
I have cable internet and use Win 7.

Help.

April 12, 2013 @ 10:40 AM

Speysidephil

@Mike
Ok Mike I can accept the fact that downtown Toronto probably not the best idea given space, traffic etc., Woodbine or anywhere else in the north part of the city would be fine, and lets not forget that the casino is only part of a world class resort complex. Tourists would come in droves to spend time there.
I think this is a golden opportunity for Toronto but also fully understand the concerns expressed.

April 12, 2013 @ 10:43 AM

Andrew

@ Glen,

What do you want to spend on the actual player? The router is just one component, but the physical music player is another.

I own a Sonos system for my house. They aren't cheap, but they sound great and are really easy to setup. I have 6 zones in my house and it's completely seamless.

Let me know if you have any other questions. There are lots of AirPlay devices out there and there are lots of portables too.

Figure out your budget first and then ask away.

Cheers!
Andrew

April 12, 2013 @ 10:49 AM

@Andrew

I've been looking at the Sonos systems... if I ever save enough to buy another house, I think that's the route I'd take.

What kind of money are we talking here? Let's saw I want to hear the audio in the bedroom, kitchen and living room...

April 12, 2013 @ 10:50 AM

@Speysidephil

That's the thing... this monster casino isn't really going to be designed to attract tourists nationally or internationally. OLG says it's slot-machine heavy to attract Ontario slot machine enthusiasts.

It would be the third largest such slot machine casino in the world... the top two are in Connecticut. And it would be massive - two Yorkdale Malls with 6000 parking spots.

Does that sound like something we should / could jam in downtown Toronto?

But it's moot... this isn't happening. The votes won't be close... Ford's going to lose this one, thankfully.

April 12, 2013 @ 10:53 AM

Argie

The key in the whole casino debate is what kind of a casino are we talking about? The old-school kind where men have to wear jackets and hot chicks float around in skimpy dresses OR the kind where all you see is sweat/stretchy pants, seniors and a disproportionate amount of Asians.

If its the latter, that belongs at Woodbine.

April 12, 2013 @ 10:54 AM

St3ve

It's the Chinese. The Chinese love the slots. Holy cow do they ever!

April 12, 2013 @ 11:02 AM

Norm

The revenue "created" by this casino is actually a net drain on the Toronto economy, assuming that only 130,000 of the visitors annually are from out of town. The rest of the money going into these slot machines is coming out of the pockets of hard working Toronto residents that no longer have it to spend on goods and services in the city. It’s a big pit for Toronto residents to throw their money into. 1% will go to the 3,500 people that work there, another small percentage will go to city and provincial government, and the rest will go to MGM, or Caesars in the States.

April 12, 2013 @ 11:07 AM

Not Not Dean

Speaking of disgusting cash grabbers in Toronto, Kelly Cutrara finally got herself a real actual paying job at a big radio company. She's the new afternoon host at the new Corus station in Hamilton. Kelly should be proud of herself.

When she announced it on the Humble and Fred podcast which she was a big part of for over a year, both Humble and Fred seemed disappointed and went on a rant about how that station will fail. Fred literally laughed when he wondered out loud how long the format would last. Kelly was still on the phone!!!!

Classless - and two-faced. Did they expect Kelly to work on their podcast for free? Shouldn't they be glad Kelly got herself a real radio job?

Mike - I know you're friends with Humble and Fred and enjoy their podcast, but you must admit they came across petty and pathetic with this one. Despite what they say, radio hasn't died.

Oh right... they love some radio... They love Astral stations that carry their show for free. 1010 can do no wrong but Kelly's new station is a laugh out loud joke.

April 12, 2013 @ 11:13 AM

Dawk Keibals

@ Argie " where all you see is sweat/stretchy pants, seniors and a disproportionate amount of Asians. "
Oddly enough was at Rama last weekend for the first time in over a year.Actually cut our time there short due to the clientele.

April 12, 2013 @ 11:13 AM

Anonymous

Anonymous on Rehtaeh Parsons's rapists.

We are Anonymous
We are legion.
The honest support us.
The corrupt fear us.
The heroic join us.
Expect us.

April 12, 2013 @ 11:20 AM

Andrew

@ Toronto Mike,

It really depends on what you want to. They have several options and all can be wired via Cat 5, speaker wire or wifi.

Sonos uses it's on wireless network and does not use your home network unless you are using internet radio, or Sirius, etc.

I have 6 zones - 3 Play 5's and 3 Play 3's. I have toyed with the idea of getting a Sub for my living room system.

My brother has 11 systems, with most of his being wired in-ceiling speakers because his house had been pre-wired.

Units range from $299-$499 and up - but again, it really depends on what you want to do.

www.sonos.com

Learn and love :)

Cheers,
Andrew

April 12, 2013 @ 11:23 AM

CQ

From CBC Business news anchor (and former Bell Media BNN host) Amanda Lang's, Globe and Mail column of Fri. April 12th, 'Let’s worry about skills, not outsourcing' :

- Information technology workers displaced in Canada are being replaced not by cheap Indian workers but by better ones. India has emerged as a centre of excellence in applications development, for instance, and so a business needing the very best in that field will seek it out.

G&M link here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/lets-worry-about-skills-not-outsourcing/article11084876/

April 12, 2013 @ 11:25 AM

Sam in Pickering

Hello everyone.

Mike has never met me, I'm just a long-time reader of this blog. There's really no other blog like it. This one is really independent and honest and usually interesting and that's what's kept me coming back every day for about six years.

I just wanted to tell everyone how much I enjoy Mike's podcast. It's a fun and interesting 30-40 minutes a week and I now look forward to it. I subscribe to it in iTunes and was pleasantly surprised to find a new episode yesterday even though there was one the day before.

That's all. Mike, you do good work here. I hope you keep it going and I hope you keep recording Toronto Mike'd.

Sincerely,
Sam

April 12, 2013 @ 11:25 AM

@Andrew

Looks like I have some research to do! I'm thinking I'd do it via Wifi.. but I have to see the house I'm setting it up in to really know what I want.

@Sam in Pickering

The cheque is in the mail!

All 32 episodes and links to subscribe in iTunes or any podcast aggregator are here: http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/

April 12, 2013 @ 11:29 AM

Sammi

I wrote this on Mike's 'Hope' blog yesterday and wanted to put it here on Open Mike....I agree with Argie....Something is definitely wrong with the Jays....and I'm starting to think it is Gibbons. And I am not saying it is still early anymore. They look awful, unprepared and I am thinking that some of the new pitchers are just going through the motions. They aren't just losing....they are losing BAD.

April 12, 2013 @ 11:40 AM

@Sammi

The first 5 or so minutes of the podcast I recorded the other day with my brother Ryan is basically us having that exact discussion.

Well... really he just yells at me a lot for suggesting we should maybe adjust our expectations.

My brother is a stats guy and sees numbers, but I watch the games and get a feeling for a team. We've played two solid games out of nine. We were very lucky to win on Wednesday. From what I've seen, we're a mess: poor starting pitching, little offense (especially form the big bats in the middle) and poor defense. The team feels awkward - like something is off.

Luckily, we're only 3-6. There is lots of time to right this ship, and the starting pitching absolutely has to get better. It can't really get any worse.

But please listen to the first part of my brother yelling at me for our thoughts. That was recorded when we were 2-5.

April 12, 2013 @ 11:48 AM

Andrew

The Jays don't have their complete team yet - Lawrie is not back yet and the infield is looking awkward.

When Lawrie gets back and the regular lineup is complete and then they lose a lot, then panic... but, c'mon. Everyone step back from the ledge.

I'd hate to see all the broken ankles out there...emergency rooms will be full all over the country :)

I have been around this team for close to 90-95 games for the past 6 seasons - expectations are high, and so they should, but it's April.

OK... I have my first weekend off since January - I'm done talking work!!

Cheers,
Andrew

April 12, 2013 @ 12:11 PM

Glen

@Andrew

I have the Sonos 3: Play 3 Wireless HiFi System with bridge. I want to stream my iTunes library, CBC Music, BBC Radio, and the Toronto Mike'd Podcast on the player.

It's not the set-up that concerns me. When I go to BestBuy what do I look for in a wireless router?

April 12, 2013 @ 12:27 PM

Wayner

Maybe not casinos but TO does need something to attract tourists. I recall staying at hotel at the waterfront on Thursday night after a concert. At 10:30 when the concert was over there was nothing going on...its as if the sidewalks were rolled up.. having to go to a bar for more drinks just seemed boring...

On a different topic...Royal Bank has apologized for hiring the cheaper foreign workers and will rehire their terminated workers…but how many consumers will be upset when they can no longer buy the $900.00 50 inch HD TVs and are forced, instead, to buy the $3,000, Canadian made 50 inch HD TVs instead if this trend continues? We seem to want to have it both ways….

April 12, 2013 @ 12:39 PM

Andrew

@ Glenn,

Then you have made a wise audio music system decision :)

Routers are routers to be honest.

I have a Mac TimeCapsule + an AirPort Extreme. You can use them with PC's, not just Mac's.

I've had Linksys and NetGear routers before, but I really like the AirPort. Looks nice and the range and strength is perfect.

Just remember that you need to have at least one Sonos plugged into your router if you are using streaming services, etc.

I have my iTunes library on my TimeCapsule and I stream Sirius and podcasts all the time. Remember if you want to stream your library with your computer off, you need to have a NAS.

I'm currently listening to The Fan in my office and it's fantastic. If you have more questions, ask away.

Cheers!
Andrew

April 12, 2013 @ 12:47 PM

@Glen

I'm very happy with my D-Link DIR-601.

April 12, 2013 @ 12:49 PM

Declan

Cheryl, was this you?
Link

It would explain everything. :)

April 12, 2013 @ 1:01 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Dave - I love Hurricane Hazel, she kept us out of the mega city, has kept Mississauga prosperous, and for the most part, well run. She has been the mayor of Mississauga since before I was born.

However, if she is guilty of the charges that are being brought against her, then she should be punished accordingly....good deeds do not erase bad ones...that's been my entire point about Rob Ford, and if Hazel is guilty, then I'll call for her job too!

April 12, 2013 @ 1:17 PM

Dave Williams

@Phil, It is good to see that you are unbiased in this situation. Time will tell on Hazel's issue, but she has fought long and hard to develop the reputation of a trustworthy polititian.

April 12, 2013 @ 1:26 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Dave - Exactly, so since you are so impressed by my unbiased behavior here, why can't you replicate it in relation to Rob Ford?

The man could shoot a nun dead in the front entrance of city hall and you'd still defend him.

I'm not saying he hasn't accomplished good things, I'm just saying that the good he has done doesn't cancel out the bad....

April 12, 2013 @ 1:42 PM

@Mississauga Phil

If Rob Ford shot a nun dead in the front entrance of city hall and I say that was wrong that Ford did that, I have several friends who will say "you only think that's wrong because Rob Ford did it".

April 12, 2013 @ 1:44 PM

Argie

Phil,

I agree with your thoughts on Hazel however, Ford has yet to be accused of anything even close to what she is accused of - which is why most of his supporters are still behind him.

April 12, 2013 @ 2:04 PM

Banger

Rob Fucking Ford - even when I agree with him he fucks it up.

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford received a “high-level” briefing on Porter Airlines’ controversial plans to transform the city’s downtown airport into a national hub two months before the official announcement.

Porter Airlines chief executive officer Robert Deluce met privately with Mr. Ford on Feb. 12 and again on March 19 with officials in the mayor’s office to discuss the company’s plan to buy jets capable of long-haul flights and extend the island airport’s runway.

The meetings were not included in the city’s lobbyist registry.

April 12, 2013 @ 2:08 PM

Dave Williams

@Banger; This is not a Rob Ford mess. Imagine a mayor that encourages employment growth within his city, this is clearly not David Miller.

April 12, 2013 @ 2:51 PM

Sammi

@Mike

I listened to the podcast and you're right....your brother does yell at you. LOL. I totally agree with you on this one. (what's happening here??) The way they lost is concerning. The record of 3 and 6 is not horrible...but they way they are losing is. And if one guy being out (Lawrie) is why this team looks like crap, then how strong is this team??

I hope they put it together but right now I am not impressed at all with the team and I put that on Gibbons.

April 12, 2013 @ 2:55 PM

Banger

@DAve Williams

Are you dense?

He didn't include his two meetings with Porter in the city's lobbyist registry.

Again, he didn't include his two meetings with Porter in the city's lobbyist registry.

April 12, 2013 @ 2:57 PM

4x4 Time

I am not a resident, nor do I work in Toronto. I have used Porter Airlines twice, and for me it is a bit of a nuisance. But I was wondering why all the opposition to Porter if, and I realize it is a BIG IF, these new jets are indeed quieter than the current prop planes being used and this can be proven.
I would think an airline option in a city I work and live in and can easily get to the airport would be a good thing. No?

April 12, 2013 @ 3:16 PM

I'm fascinated by how the RCMP is now working with Anonymous on the Rehtaeh Parsons rape case. They had dropped it until she killed herself, now Anonymous has identified two of the four alleged rapists and has shared the info with the RCMP. The case is now open again. I'll keep a close eye on how this plays out.

It reminds me of the Luka Magnotta case. Similar cyber sleuthing had identified him as a cat killer. There was a wealth of evidence, but the police decided not to do anything. Luka subsequently graduated to murder and is now going on trial.

In other news, I'm not sure how I feel about the island airport. I think the volume of the new jets is key... if it's no louder, this might be okay. I definitely dislike how sneaky Rob Ford was with the lobbyist meetings that conveniently went unrecorded. That smells as bad as him hiring his football coach and refusing to tell us what the job entails and that due process was followed.

April 12, 2013 @ 6:32 PM

Dave Williams

@Phil, the good that Rob Ford has done is monumental in a positive way. The negatives for the most part are by the negative left biased press and fuelled by the uneducated socialists in this city. The sad thing is that as a city we are finally moving forward, but some people keep fabricating issues to tear down the person that is leading the positive change.
On a lighter note, it has not been a good week for famous old people.

April 12, 2013 @ 7:13 PM

Dave Williams

@Banger the onus is not on Rob Ford to fill out the lobbyist ledger. Get an education moron.

April 12, 2013 @ 7:37 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Having a daughter almost the same age as Rehtaeh Parsons, and just imagining the living hell she must have been experiencing every day breaks my heart.
I just can't believe that the RCMP couldn't have brought this case forward being a small community where everyone knows the details, the video text evidence, greatly saddens and disappoints me in our law enforcement. RIP dear Rehtaeh.

April 12, 2013 @ 9:22 PM

Cheryl

North Korea scares me as well. It's awful. Also when will it get warm. I can't play tennis or try out my new baseball and glove because winter just won't go away. Yes, my Habs are wonderful. They won on Wednesday over the Sabres. Habs will beat the Leafs tomorrow night. As for the Jays, who cares. I hate baseball.

April 12, 2013 @ 9:46 PM

Corey

Hmmm. I wonder who Concerned Computer Hacker could be. Give it up. No one gives a shit.

April 13, 2013 @ 7:05 AM

Cheryl

Well, my coyotes lost last night to Calgary. Booh. Oh well, my Habs are going to beat your Leafs. PK Subban will score lots. You'll see.

April 13, 2013 @ 7:54 AM

Enrico Pallazo

Five ($5) in Canadian Tire money to the first person whom can provide a Photo of the carcass of Wiarton Willie.
That lyin prick.

April 13, 2013 @ 10:16 AM

dave

I am trying to watch soccer this morning and it's nil..nil. I am sorry but this sport is unwatchable. I just can't sit here and watch guys booting a ball around . I know it's the # 1 sport in the world,but I guess I am too Canadian....

April 13, 2013 @ 10:40 AM

@dave

I can get into the World Cup and Euro Cup, and TFC matches when I'm at BMO Field, but that's it for me and soccer.

April 13, 2013 @ 10:42 AM

Enrico Pallazo

@ Toronto Mike CT cash is in the mail...I hope he had a Long,Slow Demise.

April 13, 2013 @ 10:55 AM

dave

@ Mike, I have never been to BMO field. It looks like a really nice venue and I here they have good grub there, but even if I get free tickets I woudn't go. Because they play soccer.....

April 13, 2013 @ 1:05 PM

Gump

@Dave
"social democrats" Dave, not "socialists".

April 13, 2013 @ 9:00 PM

Cheryl

My Habs lost. That game sucked. It was no good at all. It stunk. My Habs outshot the Leafs, but they still lost. It was no good. I hate the Leafs.

April 14, 2013 @ 7:27 AM

Gary

The Habs looked like the team I thought they always were. I think they overachieved in a shortened season and will fall apart in the first round.

April 14, 2013 @ 9:14 AM

Douglas

@Dave - I remember a comedy bit by a Brit comedian. It was all "the evening news". After what seemed like a minute of nothing but nil-nil English football scores, someone in the audience heckled. The comedian told him to f-off, it was his show and that if he didn't like it, he could leave, followed by "Right, I'll finish this then" after which followed what seemed like another minute of nil-nil scores. The audience was applauding, I think partly because the comedian picked off all of the eligible teams.

April 14, 2013 @ 11:27 AM

Cheryl

Well, I got to play a little baseball today. It was nice enough to do that. It's okay. I would rather play tennis. I kept not catching the ball. I only caught it half the time. It wouldn't go into my glove half the time. Oh well, I'm not sure I like it or not. It's better than watching it, that's for sure.

April 14, 2013 @ 2:19 PM

Speysidephil

@cheryl
Cheryl no comment on your useless Habs and PK??
You disappoint!

April 14, 2013 @ 3:03 PM

Speysidephil

Oops! Sorry Cheryl missed your post above.

April 14, 2013 @ 3:56 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Oy. That was brutal last night. Was at my buddy's house watching the game and he's a Leaf fan so I heard about it all night long. lol. Oh well shit happens. You win some you lose some. At least the Habs locked up a playoff spot on Thursday.

April 14, 2013 @ 8:29 PM

Cheryl

My Habs won't fall apart. The Leafs will. I'm telling you if the Leafs win the cup, I'm going to dig a hole and hide in it. I hate the Leafs. Oh well, my Habs will start winning again. Yes they will.

April 14, 2013 @ 8:42 PM

Cheryl

Well, let's hope my Habs do well in the playoffs. That Saturday game really sucked though. Anyway, I'm not sure if I really like playing baseball or not. I'll give it a few more tries though. that glove feels so heavy though and the ball doesn't always fall into my glove.

April 15, 2013 @ 6:11 AM