Director of Operations, Logistics and Gravy?

Director of Operations, Logistics and Gravy?You've likely heard the news that Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has hired his old football coach as Director of Operations and Logistics.

Dave Price was Ford’s high school football coach back when he was a student at Scarlett Heights. Now, Dave Price is Director of Operations and Logistics, and Toronto taxpayers are paying his 6-figure salary. Trust me, titles like that don't come without a 6-figure cost.

You're likely wondering what the Director of Operations and Logistics is responsible for at City Hall.... Ford won't say. His staffers won't say, either.

Sounds like respect for the taxpayer to me!

Argie

I'm OK with it as long he's not an ass-grabber, alchy or homophobic.

April 4, 2013 @ 11:43 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Mike - Politicians give their friends lush, do-nothing jobs, it's what they do...

This guy is probably down on his luck, and instead of helping out a former mentor out of his own pocket, Ford decided to use taxpayer dollars...or maybe I'm wrong... Toronto did feel a little more logistic-y today, didn't it?

April 4, 2013 @ 1:27 PM

Argie

I know it doesn't effect ON taxpayers but the Liberal govt in BC recently wrote a cheque for $10 million to the Bollywood awards. Let's, which is worse, $10 mil or approx $150,000???

Mike, we both know if the ON liberals had done it you wouldn't be blogging about it either.

April 4, 2013 @ 2:09 PM

@Argie

That's not true. If Miller had hired his soccer coach to be Director of Operations and Logistics on our dime, I'd have written about it.

April 4, 2013 @ 2:10 PM

elvis

I'm beginning to doubt that.

April 4, 2013 @ 2:22 PM

Argie

Really, Mike? What about the millions Miller gave to his "arts" friends who produce theatre that hardly anyone goes to see? You know the kind of theatre I'm referring to, don't you?

I seriously doubt you ever commented on the ON Liberal govt giving over a million to the Maple Leaf Cricket Club in lovely King City in 2006.

April 4, 2013 @ 2:22 PM

@Argie

Don't pretend that's the same thing.

April 4, 2013 @ 2:27 PM

Derrick

@Argie, just because Mike does or doesn't write or blog about it doesn't make what Rob Ford did w/r/t appointing his old football coach as Director of Operations right.

The issue is whether or not the appointment was subject to the proper oversight. Even if the individual is qualified to do the job, or even the best candidate, as a taxpayer I want to be sure that additional individuals were interviewed by independant gov't officials.

What Mike is saying is that Rob Ford, who is supposed to be looking out for the taxpayer, did something - purposely gave a friend of his a high paying job through his influence - that is not in the best interests of the taxpayers of this city.

For me, the biggest issue, assuming that Mike is correct (and Mike, can you please post a link to the story), is that Rob Ford is dumb enough to do this. Where are his staffers or aides saying to the mayor, "You know big guy, we have due process in order to hire someone in this position. Maybe it would be good for your image to at least appear to honour the process."

Mayor's response: "Subway, Subway, Subway, Subway. I want a $5 footlong!"

April 4, 2013 @ 2:37 PM

I did include a link - the word "news" points to the Sun's site.

Here it is: http://blogs.canoe.ca/goodgravy/general/new-staffer-in-mayor-rob-fords-office/

Rob Ford has added a new staff member to the mayor’s office bench.

The Sun has learned Dave Price started as the mayor’s director of operations and logistics on Tuesday.

Ford’s office wouldn’t say what the position entails.

Price was Ford’s high school football coach back when he was a student at Scarlett Heights. He was also Councillor Doug Ford’s campaign manager in the 2010 election.

He declined to talk about his new job when approached Wednesday.

“I’m not the story,” Price said.

April 4, 2013 @ 2:41 PM

Speysidephil

Here we go again making assumptions that due process was not followed.
And I assume that you have proof of this .

April 4, 2013 @ 2:46 PM

@Speysidephil

Proof of what?

That they hired Ford's old football coach and today he refused to comment on it or provide a job description?

Yes, there's proof of that.

April 4, 2013 @ 2:49 PM

Derrick

I don't know Mike. There's not a lot of meat on the bone for this story (though it is interesting that the Sun has a story on it, but the Star doesn't).

Though I do stand by my comment that Ford is dumb for hiring the guy in terms of what it does for his image. If the guy really needed a job why didn't Ford hire him in his privately held printing company?

April 4, 2013 @ 2:57 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Derrick - My point exactly, the Ford's are not exactly destitute...there were other ways to help this guy out.

@ Speyside & Argie - how does being a football coach qualify you to be "Director of Operations and Logistics"?

It sounds like a made up title to give a friend a golden parachute.....

April 4, 2013 @ 3:08 PM

Anonymous

Rob Ford's former high school football coach is now his Director of Operations and Logistics.

— AM640 (@am640) April 4, 2013
April 4, 2013 @ 3:20 PM

Anonymous

Rob Ford hires his high school football coach as mayor's director of operations and logistics. bit.ly/16p8cu9 #TOpoli

— Toronto Sun (@TheTorontoSun) April 3, 2013
April 4, 2013 @ 3:22 PM

dizi izle

Sorry, the 2 tweets above were me. Just wanted everyone to know that this did indeed happen and it's amazing what happens when you don't call your elected officials out on such things.

I don't hate Rob Ford nor am I out to get him but this is a clear conflict of interest and the optics alone are a good reason not to do it. Most mayors are aware of that - Robbie's not.

Blame Toronto Mike, blame the Star, blame McGuinty and Bollywood, but that doesn't change this obvious fact: Ford shouldn't have hired his old football coach for a Director position on the city's dime. And if he is the best candidate for the job, Ford should disclosed what the job is and why his coach got the gig.

It's plain and simple. Ford just doesn't get it. He never did. The gravy train keeps on chuggin!

April 4, 2013 @ 3:26 PM

Argie

My point is that even if the hire was done incorrectly, the cost to taxpayers' is minimal. Sure we can call him on it but when you compare it to the other, much larger waste of taxpayers' money, it seems quite insignificant.

Of course, people like Mike will point out anything that disparages Ford, which is fine but at least try to be a little bit consistent.

Just think, if Ford had danced half naked in the annual freak parade, Mike, The Star the CBC, etc would have so much time on their hands.

How about that deal Wynne have the teachers?

April 4, 2013 @ 3:34 PM

@Argie

Your move I've noticed is to say "look over there! something different I don't like is happening there!" as some sort of distraction technique.

They're very different, but you already know that...

April 4, 2013 @ 3:45 PM

Argie

"You can't equate spending money on arts you personally disagree with and the hiring of a buddy for a cushy, high paying city job when you're mayor."

I can and I will!!! Seriously though, they're both wrong (assuming Ford was in the wrong here). Nothing has been confirmed yet.

As usual you're jumping on Ford before anything has been proven.

April 4, 2013 @ 3:54 PM

Derrick

@Argie, while the cost is minimal, it's still a cost. And Ford has campaigned on reducing costs.

You can rail all you want (with good reason) about the waste that the Liberals and Miller have put upon the taxpayers in Toronto and Ontario, but neither campaigned on being the champion of taxpayers and being fiscally conservative, like Ford has.

You have to admit that this looks like a waste based on the information presented.

I admit and share many of your concerns about the waste within our gov't's, but even you have to admit that Ford would be all over this appointment if he was still in council and not the mayor.

April 4, 2013 @ 3:57 PM

Derrick

@Mike, you have to admit you have certain bias.

I don't see many positive posts here about Ford. He was voted on a mandate of reducing waste and he has made progress in reducing the costs of running this city. Maybe he doesn't deserve all fo the credit, but he deserves some.

April 4, 2013 @ 4:00 PM

Can you imagine what Rob Ford would be saying to John Oakley if David Miller had done this a few years ago? He'd be frothing at the mouth!

April 4, 2013 @ 4:00 PM

St3ve

Director of Operations and Logistics. Remind me, who had that job before? Oh right, NOBODY because the job doesn't exist. Tell us Rob, how many candidates were interviewed for the position? You DID follow proper City of Toronto hiring guidelines right? You wouldn't want to look like you're just serving up big bowls of gravy to your buddies now would you?

April 4, 2013 @ 4:03 PM

Ben Vidal

When did the good and bad of things in this world get measured in amounts. So it's bad if the federal/provincial/municipal government wastes millions, but it's ok if it's $150K. What's wrong is wrong and what's right is right. I'm sorry but the amount high, low or somewhere in between doesn't allow someone to live in a grey area.
When it came to the last conflict of interest it was peddled that $3,000 was nothing and it shouldn't matter. Now it's $150K is just a drop in the pond compared to this, where does it stop?

@Argie: You want to talk about wasted millions how about those "Canada's Economic Action Plan" tv spots and radio spots we are constantly bombarded by.

April 4, 2013 @ 4:05 PM

Argie

Mike,

Its obvious - just admit it, the only political entries you originate is a knock against Ford. You don't even knock Harper - and believe there's plenty to knock.

Every other post on this blog is pop culture or sports oriented. I'm OK with it but you're only interested in bashing Ford - no other politician. Granted, he sometimes makes it easy for you.

April 4, 2013 @ 4:08 PM

Who said I'm not allowed to have a bias? I'm not a journalist.

I've admitted my bias against Rob Ford countless times, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong about him.

The optics around him hiring his old football coach stink. It doesn't pass the smell test. If Olivia Chow did the same thing, it would smell just as bad.

April 4, 2013 @ 4:13 PM

Argie

Mike,

Knock whoever you want - its your blog. Of course most of us with any sense will take your opinion with a grain of salt (seeing as you have this personal vendetta). Hate and anger don't look good on you, Mike. You're usually such a positive blogger. Leave the hate and anger for me and Ben.

April 4, 2013 @ 4:29 PM

Sammi

I do agree (mostly) with Argie on this....fiscally, he has been great for the city....but I will admit that this is a stupid move on Ford's part.

April 4, 2013 @ 5:01 PM

Sammi

Oh. and Mike...can you take that Blue Jay out of your logo...I think you may have jinxed them.

April 4, 2013 @ 5:03 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

If he was a high school football coach, wasn't he a teacher as well. No good can come from hiring a teacher. No good at all.

April 4, 2013 @ 5:45 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

April 4, 2013 @ 5:45 PM

Patrick

For the entire post and comments I agree with only one. @Sammi, you are right the logo has to go.

April 4, 2013 @ 5:51 PM

CQ

I did? Yeah I guess so.
Oh, by the way, Porkchops are no longer 'Porkchops'. There are 350 cuts of meat to be renamed. Per a Reuters article in today's Globe and Mail. Plus, just make sure of the 160 cooking degree USA warning label. Then add gravy.

April 4, 2013 @ 5:58 PM

Mike from Lowville

.......he could have horns, red suit, spiked tail and carrying a pitchfork and the Ford defenders would still think he was a good guy. Blind love I'd say!

April 4, 2013 @ 5:59 PM

Speysidephil

@mike from Lowville
And The majority of Torontonians will vote him in again.
So for the haters , get over it!

April 4, 2013 @ 6:09 PM

If we lose tonight, the Jays logo will go.

April 4, 2013 @ 6:16 PM

Speysidephil

@Mike

You said not to panic!
Leave the logo.

April 4, 2013 @ 6:24 PM

elvis

Your blog sucks.

April 4, 2013 @ 8:07 PM

Not Argie

I finally came to the understanding that Jesus was gay and I am gay too. I love Rob Ford; now if only I could find his penis in those rolls

April 4, 2013 @ 10:14 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Confused on the job description. Is he Ford's personal director of operations and logistics? Maybe he is the driver that all the other councillors have been saying Ford should have, just a trumped up job description?

He did manage Doug's campaign, and would have some organizational abilities. Managing Doug Ford is probably like herding cats:

April 4, 2013 @ 10:23 PM

Argie

I don't know who "not Argie" is but I find his posts kind of funny. They're disturbing, but they're damn funny.

April 5, 2013 @ 8:21 AM

Anonymous

Can the position posting and resume be obtained under freedom of information. It is not so much the position, but that it was done covertly (like meeting with airport lobbyists and forgetting to write it down).

April 12, 2013 @ 5:01 PM

rumpledrumskin

Can you say bodyguard ?? price was never a coach, he was a water boy and Ford family hanger on from the old days when a certain family member needed muscle..

May 30, 2013 @ 11:45 AM