2001 Oakland Athletics: Our Heroes

2001 Oakland Athletics: Our HeroesI was going to write about the Leafs vs. Bruins, but I've decided to just enjoy this for what it is. The Leafs are playing in May and that hasn't happened since 2004. Sure, I'd have loved a series with the Habs, but I'll play any team at this point. Bring on the Bruins and let's see what happens.

So instead of writing about the Leafs (I plan to rotate between my #5 Bill Barilko and #93 Doug Gilmour jersey) I'm going to write about the 2001 Oakland Athletics. I've been thinking a lot about the 2001 Oakland Athletics this week. They're our glimmer of hope.

2001

You see, the 2001 Oakland Athletics are the only team that's started as poorly as our 2013 Blue Jays and still made the playoffs since the wildcard berths showed up in '95. That's it. If the Jays right this ship and play lights out ball the rest of the way to make the post-season, they'll be only the 2nd team to do it.

The 2001 Oakland Athletics had to win 45 of its final 56 games to win the wildcard. I'll let you digest that run for a moment. 45 of 56...

Will the Jays go on a similar run? sportsclubstats.com puts the odds at 0.6%. That sounds about right...

Tell me it's early all you want... remind me it's April and we've only played 26 of 162 games. Those numbers are correct, but history suggest this isn't happening in 2013. My eyeballs tell me this team isn't capable of a 2001 Oakland Athletics-esque run to finish this season. My heart and my mind know it's over.

Hopefully, we finish strong and compete for a playoff spot in 2014. That expectation is far more realistic.

Argie

I agree Mike, they're toast. The biggest problem I see with the team is Gibbons. The guy seems so dim.

April 30, 2013 @ 11:50 AM

Speysidephil

Gibbons is finished by May 15 if this isn't corrected.
Maybe sooner if they lose their series against the RedSox.

April 30, 2013 @ 12:00 PM

Wayner

I don't understand the Gibbons choice either. His last go with Jays was not a success either

April 30, 2013 @ 12:09 PM

Derrick

You're right, what has Gibbon's done except handle the bullpen exceptionally well, take the heat for Brett Lawrie on the horrible call third strike in New York.

And I'm certain if Gibbons wasn't here then Reyes wouldn't have hurt his ankle, or Romero would've pitched much better out of spring training.

Yeah, stupid Gibby.

April 30, 2013 @ 12:17 PM

@Speysidephil

I don't think Gibbons will be fired this season. It's his first season (even though his second tour of duty). When Jimy Williams got canned in '89 and Cito came in to lead us to the division title, Williams had failed to win pennants in '86, '87 and '88. Those were good ball teams that came up short, so Jimy had to go.

Gibbons will be the manager of this club on opening day 2014. That's my guess.

April 30, 2013 @ 12:37 PM

Argie

Derrick,

Have you heard an interview with Gibbons? My 4 year old can put together a better sentence than him.

If they're still in last or 4th place in late May, he'll be gone.

April 30, 2013 @ 12:46 PM

Speysidephil

There has been a ton of money spent on this team, they are not going to see it go down the tube without a change in manager, and like I said the end of may is the deadline.

April 30, 2013 @ 12:50 PM

Argie

I know this is off topic but what the hell?

Did Jason Collins find a cure for cancer? I'm going by the reaction of his "coming out" by the Twitter twits.

Is there a way we can send someone back in time to steal the computer of the guy who invented Twitter?

April 30, 2013 @ 1:16 PM

@Argie

It's way off topic.

He's the first... that's got to be a big story.

Soon it will be so commonplace it won't be a story, but so long as there's only one, it's a big story. I'm very, very glad he had the courage to be #1.

April 30, 2013 @ 1:18 PM

Derrick

Argie,

I have heard him, and I respect his decision making skills and instincts.

I understood John Farrell very well, and look how that turned out.

April 30, 2013 @ 1:20 PM

Argie

Derrick,

Things are working out fine for Farrell in Boston.

April 30, 2013 @ 1:42 PM

Derrick

FYI, before he managed the Red Sox, Terry Francona had a winning record of 285-363.

Before he managed the Yankees, Joe Toree had a record of 894-1,003.

Gibby will still be here by the end of the year.

April 30, 2013 @ 1:45 PM

Argie

Mike,

I know its a big story and I'm sure he hasn't had an easy life but its funny to see all of the trendy/annoying athletes like Kobe, Nash and even Obie's wife chime in. Who cares what they think?

My commentary is more on how inane Twitter is.

April 30, 2013 @ 2:01 PM

@Argie

I hear ya, but I think it's important that others know the game, the league and the stars support him.

April 30, 2013 @ 2:15 PM

Gary

Like so many, I was excited at all the moves the Jays made...till the last one. As soon as I saw Anthopoulos introducing Gibbons, the air came out of the tire and I had a bad feeling about the season. It became very evident very quickly, that this was not working.

@ Derrick - If the Jays were in a rebuild then maybe Gibbons might work. This group of players need a different voice and approach. I like Gibbons, but not for this team. The longer they wait, the worse it becomes. The season is practically over already. They have to go with a 600 record to hit 90 wins. Does this team look like they can do that? I don't think so.

April 30, 2013 @ 2:41 PM

Derrick

@Gary,

What is with the hate of Gibbons?! I really don't get it.

Someone please explain to me what Gibbons has done wrong since he's been here.

April 30, 2013 @ 3:04 PM

Gary

@ Derrick

I didn't say I hate Gibbons. If you read my post I actually state that I like him. I think he is the wrong person for this team as it is built. As for what he has done wrong....the record is 9 and 17. Something is not working and my opinion is that a different voice and approach is needed. I really hope they can turn it around, but the team looks disjointed and unprepared.

April 30, 2013 @ 3:32 PM

Cheryl

Who cares. I hate baseball. Oh well, Jays end up in last place and that's good.

April 30, 2013 @ 6:09 PM

felix

Keep the faith. The 05 Astros started 15-30 and they made the WS. Don't remind me of what happened then.

May 1, 2013 @ 12:38 AM

Blind Dave

The "Fire Gibbons" campaign seems to kill the old theory that, back in the early 90s, all Cito did was fill out the line-up card.

My jury is still out on Gibbons, but the players themselves must step up regardless of the manager, as they clearly do not gel as a team.

May 1, 2013 @ 9:32 AM