Why I Hate The Latest Rob Ford Scandal Most Of All

Why I Hate The Latest Rob Ford Scandal Most Of AllAs a proud Torontonian, I've had to endure several Rob Ford scandals since he was elected to city council. Here's a list of Rob Ford controversies if you require a refresher. Of all the Rob Ford controversies, the one that's disturbed me the most is this latest one involving Sarah Thomson.

The news broke Friday morning and I refused to rush to judgement. I watched the story unfold, listened to all sides and stayed quiet until now. I hate how many Rob Ford supporters, many I consider friends, have politicized Sarah Thomson's claims and have painted Ford as the victim once more. Earlier today, Ford even used his 1010 radio show to wonder aloud if Thomson is "playing with a full deck". A comment on this very blog seconds ago gloated "from all the media response this weekend it is fairly clear that the story is a hoax".

Whenever Rob Ford is called out for something he's guilty of, his first move is to lie to us. He's a notorious and proven liar. Remember that Leafs game when an inebriated Rob Ford went off on that Durham couple? He denied that ever happened until the evidence was so overwhelming he had to come clean.

Remember when Rob Ford was asked if he was arrested for pot possession in Florida? He denied that ever happened until the evidence was so overwhelming he had to come clean.

The man has absolutely no integrity, and when a woman came forward on Friday to accuse him of inappropriate behavior, instead of supporting her people seem to exert great energy dismissing and discrediting her. I agree 100% with Sarah Thomson's statement below.

I am not the kind of woman who sees chauvinism everywhere or believes in reckless denunciations. But Mayor Ford was behaving inappropriately, and there was clearly something wrong with him during the CJPAC event.

He must be discouraged from over indulging to the point where he is groping or making lewd comments, and women should not put up with it when it happens. The Mayor was outrageous, he acted horribly, and I won't be intimidated by the whitewashing he has tried so hard to generate.

Decades ago powerful men who sexually assaulted women would call them "hysterical," or "crazy" to debase their credibility. It pushed many assaulted women into silence. Today Mayor Ford stated that he wondered if I was "playing with a full deck" try to discredit me. He will not push me into silence and I hope his accusations do not re-ignite the old fears that once silenced women.

We need an ongoing dialogue to ensure respect for women in the workplace and to create an inclusive and safe society for all.

Feel free to dismiss my opinion as well, because I've had many issues with our mayor over the years. This is undeniably true. I don't trust Rob Ford, I don't agree with his politics, I don't like his personality and I wouldn't want him leading my condo board, let alone my beloved city. When I see people labeling Thompson as a whack job and sympathizing with Rob Ford over this issue, it angers me.

In fact, I hate it.

Argie

So Mike, when it comes out that this whack-job made up the whole thing, will you apologize to Ford on this blog?

March 10, 2013 @ 7:57 PM

@Argie

Of course.

But right now, as it's "he said, she said" and only one is a proven liar, it's disgusting that you're calling her the "whack-job" and rallying behind the alleged perp.

March 10, 2013 @ 8:00 PM

andrew

The BEST Mayor since Crombie.

March 10, 2013 @ 8:15 PM

Il Duce

Sorry Mike, I don't believe you're being completely honest by saying 'you didn't rush to judgement... Waited for the story to unfold'. Your hatred for Mayor Ford has blinded you from seeing it objectively.

Everyone is losing perspective that Thomson is accusing Ford of sexual assault through social media rather than using the appropriate methods to deal with this serious allegation. She has lost total credibility by doing this so.

March 10, 2013 @ 8:47 PM

Johnny

Well said Mike. Thanks for posting this.

March 10, 2013 @ 8:48 PM

Gump

This is a typical he-said, she-said situation.
In these cases you have to rely upon each person's character and who had more to 'lose' if it proves to be fact or fiction later on.
Regardless of your politics, any rational person would see that this wouldn't be out of character (especially if drinking) for Rob Ford.

March 10, 2013 @ 9:41 PM

Gary

Thomson is really using the 'women's card' now.

Honestly, I don't know who to believe. There appears to be evidence on both sides. Neither one can come clean on this and they will both stick to their stories. No-one wins here.

It surprises me how one-sided Mike's opinion is .... or maybe it doesn't.

March 10, 2013 @ 9:51 PM

Justin

Sarah Thomson is a nut-bar whack-job media hound. Why you ask?

If Thomson really was the victim of an assault she would have gone to police, not facebook. That was her first error. She then proceeded to go on every media outlet in the city, from 1010 to 640 to CP24 and even Global's morning show. Clearly, she's never met a camera she didn't like. One problem? Her story kept on changing. First she only drank beer, then she drank scotch. First she only took one picture with the mayor, then she took three. First she said she told Ford staffers/handlers to remove him, then she told his "conservative" friends. First she said she never contacted police, then she spoke to a police officer outside the event. Her story kept on changing making her lose all credibility.

To top it all off, 2 Richmond Hill counselors (credible people) said Thompson said she wanted set up the mayor. That's despicable behavior no matter who you are. Then she went on record musing about Ford having substance abuse issues. What's worse, an eyewitness of the entire encounter who was standing in line behind Thompson to take a picture with Mayor Ford said the whole thing never happened. Ford sarcastically said to Sarah "you should have come with us to Florida" not whatever Sarah alleged he said. According to the eyewitness, Ford also never touched her behind, but rather had his hand around her upper back for the picture.

Sarah Thompson is a foolish woman who is just another example of the left trying to get at Ford. Good thing it didn't work out. I listened to the radio all day and the VAST majority of the city sided with Ford. He looks like a victim coming out of this, not a butt-grabbing Pig. If anyone's a pig here, it's Sarah Thomson. She's drained any political capital she had left and won't be able to run for Mayor in 2014 as she aspired to. Toronto now appropriately views her as a joke. She set a horrible example for women on International Women's Day no less. She took a serious issue and turned it into a media circus for her own opportunistic gain. Shame on her.

March 10, 2013 @ 9:58 PM

Derrick

No one looks good in this situation.

Sarah Thompson should have filed her complaint through the proper channels and let due process work.

Rob Ford should have kept his mouth shut and kept his response to official, professional channels, utilize his lawyers fight the accusations.

Neither of these individuals are acting like adults.

March 10, 2013 @ 10:58 PM

Suburb Steve

Mike, do you find nothing wrong with Sarah's behavior? There's a lot you hate about Ford and his actions. However, Sarah attempts to set Ford up and catch him acting inappropriately so she "can use it against him in the next election" and you find nothing wrong with this?
She accuses him of a substance abuse problem which was effecting his behaviour that night, yet no one has stepped forward to support such allegations? Hundreds of people in the room and none step forward as a witness to the ass grab or those horrible comments? Ford poses for hundreds of pictures under the influence of some substance and no one else has any problem. Political figures step forward and tell another side to the story that Sarah failed to address during her early morning press interviews. To the councilors, there was information left out, and perhaps added to Sarah story. Mike something about her allegations just doesn't pass the sniff test. Your bias from what I've seen, has not allowed you to be unfair in the past. I don't know if you've really had a chance to hear the rest of the story, but it's hard to imagine you'd condemn Ford for his creditability and not at least question Sarah's.

March 10, 2013 @ 11:03 PM

markosaar

Pretty sure an ass-grab wouldn't have gotten much traction through official channels.

I agree that Ford has assassinated his own character so thoroughly, it's hard to give him any credence.

March 11, 2013 @ 12:07 AM

Corey

@Mike - pretty sure neither you or Mississauga Phil ever have to worry about being selected to the jury at a Rob Ford trial.

March 11, 2013 @ 8:00 AM

4x4 Time

Remember when your Mother said "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything"?...Still rings true.

If Thomsons story is true and she can prove it, she should tell the police she was assaulted.

If Ford is 100% sure he is innocent he should take legal action against her.

March 11, 2013 @ 8:04 AM

Honest Abe

Justin's response pretty well has the correct details in it.

March 11, 2013 @ 8:15 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Corey - yeah but I'm pretty sure you and Argie would never be picked for that jury either....bias can go both ways my friend....

March 11, 2013 @ 8:37 AM

McNulty

I'm pretty sure if Rob Ford shot a baby in the face Argie, Dave and Corey would assume the baby deserved it. Or in Argie's case the baby was a Muslim.

It's ridiculous that Sarah's credibility is first challenged when Ford does have a history of lying about a lot of things.

While I don't agree about her Facebook post any suggestion that she go to the police is ludicrous. There would never have been an investigation or charges over an ass grab that no one saw. I'm sure if she pressed charges the same people who said she should have would accuse her of looking for a payday or something else.
If this is true, there is no way for Sarah to come out of this without persecution by the Ford Nation.

March 11, 2013 @ 8:47 AM

Rick2

There are people that hate ford, and people that like ford ... same with this Thompson person, who I know very little about. Thompson has to decide whether it's a police matter or not... public opinion will probably show that if she doesn't press charges, then she was lying. So, my opinion only - she is purposely blowing this up for political reasons. I think ford and her are 2 peas in a pod. Can someone please convince John Tory to run in the next election, so we can be done with all this crap?

March 11, 2013 @ 9:00 AM

@ Rick2 - amen to that

March 11, 2013 @ 9:18 AM

Gary

For my money, Justin's comments are pretty bang on. Seems to me Mike, you left much out of your original analysis and your hatred for Ford has blinded you to any other side of the story.

March 11, 2013 @ 9:28 AM

Dave Williams

@McNulty, you state it is ridiculous that Sarah's credibility is being challenged? She claims sexual assault on her facebook page, creates a big media frenzy, never officially reports this crime to the police. Why would any sane person challenge this logic? Maybe when Sarah Thomson tweets that she knows the location of Jimmy Hoffas body we should all trust her legitimacy on that one. The woman is a pure media hound trying to get what ever support she can.
PS; don't forget to renew your National Enquirer subscription.
@Mike, do not feel that your Blind hatred of the man may have any impact on your slant in this matter. I realize people like Phil and McNulty live off of headlines alone, but I would expect more from a U of T Grad.

March 11, 2013 @ 9:33 AM

Argie

McNulty,

Well they just grow to be terrorists, ya know.

March 11, 2013 @ 9:42 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Dave - Always with the veiled shots at my intelligence. I'll post copies of my college diploma, university degree, and commendation for Dean's List on this blog anytime you want to stack your education up against mine.

Sorry...where did you do your post grad again??? don't think you've ever mentioned it...

March 11, 2013 @ 9:48 AM

Mississauga Phil

Oh..and maybe when Rob Ford said he wasn't even at the leafs game where he committed a drunken disorderly we should just believe hi...oh wait he lied until it was proven true.

Let me try again...maybe when Rob Ford said he wasn't busted for pot possession in Florida we should believe hi...oh wait he lied until that was proven true...let me try again

Maybe when Rob Ford says he doesn't drink and drive we should believe hi...oh wait he lied until that was proven true....

Maybe when Rob Ford says that he wasn't responsible for the TTC bus being diverted to pick up his team we should believe hi...oh wait, the cops and ttc said that was his call...

Crap...I'm out of ideas...

Maybe when Rob Ford says the sky is blue and water is wet we should believe him.....

I finally got one :)

March 11, 2013 @ 10:00 AM

Mississauga Phil

Crap...I'm out of ideas...

I finally got one :)

March 11, 2013 @ 10:00 AM

Globescoper

I do not live in Toronto; so therefore I view this as I would a TV show -- purely entertaining.

I'm not bias one way or the other. Sure Ford has done some crazy things; however, his first mistake was how he approached the office of mayor -- a moose in a china shop comes to mind.

That being said, this time he is being set up, and if I'm wrong he should be charged.

However, I'm not wrong. Sarah is now layering her allegation. By that I mean she is adding to her to story in order to strengthen it. Now she is claiming cocaine is the reason for Ford's behavior.

How far is she willing to go to get at Ford.

Can't wait for the next episode.

March 11, 2013 @ 10:03 AM

Argie

For the record, I'm tired of these Ford debates/arguments. I've lost interest in defending Ford, mainly because of these frequent attacks/accusations against him. Who the hell knows, maybe some are valid including Thursday nights supposed ass-grab. I really dont care if he did it.

I've also lost interest in defending Ford because he does seem to put himself in certain situations where the sad, lonely left can exploit him. Instead of partying with a bunch of free loading drunks, he should spend more time thinking of ways of saving the city money. He's good at that and that's why most of his supporters voted for him.

March 11, 2013 @ 10:10 AM

Dave Williams

@Phil; I am a proud Queens Grad under the "The Commerce 1981 Entrance Scholarship" class of 1999 MBA. I have studied economics for interest with credits from the U of T and Brown University. I am not discrediting your studies, I am only discrediting your lack of research on some of the topics you post on. I am also fairly sure if John Tory was mayor, you likely would be affixed on the fact that he wanted an open vote for faith based education.

March 11, 2013 @ 10:11 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Dave - I'm fine with an open vote. That's democracy in action....

And I notice that, once again, I make legitimate negative points on Rob Ford and you ignore them completely.

Considering your views on pot, the the good mayors penchant for said substance, I'm amazed you support him.

Here's the math in Dave's world:

Phil + Pot = bad person

Rob Ford + Pot = Greatest Mayor in the history of Toronto

Can you not see the double standard? Will you even acknowledge it?? or will you just pass it by like every other point I've ever tried to make with you?

March 11, 2013 @ 10:17 AM

Dave Williams

@Argie, the left wins if the populous stop defending their heinous relentless attacks. I cannot think of another example in western civil society that an elected official continually gets pelted. The fighting back does get tiring, but the real issue is the lonely left that want to divide the city instead of grow and progress with it.

March 11, 2013 @ 10:29 AM

Dave Williams

@Phil, I dropped the debate on pot, If Rob Ford would openly state that he WANTS to smoke pot with his child, I would question his position as well.
Math in my world would be;
Rob Ford = economic growth
Rob Ford = tax savings
Rob Ford = prosperity in Toronto.
Rob Ford = responsible government.
Rob Ford = election promises fulfilled.
I am at a loss on which specific point you have tried to make with me though.

March 11, 2013 @ 10:35 AM

@ Dave - okay here they are again

Rob Ford = Drunken Disorderly at ACC

Rob Ford = DUI Charges

Rob Ford = Lies when questioned about past actions until they are proven, then there's an excuse for why it's not his fault.

Rob Ford = Flips bird to mother and child when questioned about driving while using a cell phone

Rob Ford = Using city resources (namely a TTC bus full of tax paying and fare paying commuters) to pick up his football team

March 11, 2013 @ 10:43 AM

Dave Williams

My point exactly Phil, most of these HEADLINES were either false allegations or false from the beginning. In the end none of the so called accusations have any impact to what the Mayor was elected for. The facts are that he has decreased waste, spending and taxes and has made the city an attractive place for investment which inturn create jobs.
If he were ever to become PM or Premier the real tax waste will come to an end. Imagine being a CBC employee if Ford was PM? Not a good place to be.
You notice that Rob Ford does not blame the past regimes for the cities issues, he identifyies them and corrects. The liberals still blame Mike Harris for most of their faults.

March 11, 2013 @ 10:56 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Dave - none of the points I made were proven false, in fact, quite the opposite. They are all true.

How can a man irresponsible enough to drink and drive be trusted to run a city? I'll provide you with a reference and his mug shot from this event

What citizen of said city would want a man who makes obscene gestures to children? I'll provide you with references to this embarrassment

Who would want him representing us when he make racist and crude remarks to people in a public forum such as the ACC? Again, he lied and said he was never there, until it was proven...

How is he fiscally responsible when he redirects an active bus to pick up his football team? Both the heads of the TTC and Toronto Police said redirecting the bus was the Mayors call.

I have always agreed that the liberals are idiots and that I'd love to have Harris back.

I am not anti right wing, I am anti-Ford

So again, please defend the above points. That they happened is not up for debate, the DID HAPPEN IT IS A FACT...so please defend the actions

March 11, 2013 @ 11:06 AM

McNulty

@ Phil - Why bother with Dave? He ignores facts and reasonable arguments and brings up useless points.

I explained why Sarah probably didn't go to the police and he brings up points about Jimmy Hoffa (very relevant in 2013).
It was a grab on the ass...going to the police would have been pointless. They would have done nothing.
And while again, I disgree with her method of communicating what happened, it doesn't meant it did not happen.

But Dave will ignore these comments anyway.

@ Argie
And your response was actually funny. Thank you!

March 11, 2013 @ 11:09 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ McNulty - I know I know...

March 11, 2013 @ 11:18 AM

Dave Williams

@Phil, printing references from newspapers that have fabricated stories and that a clear adgenda against the man is not proving anything.
If you tell a lie publically and keep denying it, it slowly turns into truth.
Is Rob Ford perfect, no. Does he do a credible job managing our city, without a doubt. Has any mayor in recent memory done near as much to improve the city as Rob Ford has done, definatley not.
The city spoke during the election that we wanted/needed fiscal responsibility. That is exactly what we have. When the opponents cannot find any negatives with his public life, they fabricate about his personal life. Maybe that is why no one pried into David Millar's personal life.

March 11, 2013 @ 11:20 AM

Dave Williams

@McNulty don't be so sematic, the Jimmy Hoffa point was clearly a sarcastic angle. I will explain sarcasm in futre posts for your benefit.

March 11, 2013 @ 11:33 AM

Argie

McNulty,

"Its funny because its true!"

March 11, 2013 @ 11:34 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Dave - All lies??? really??

So when he was arrested for DUI it was all a lie??

The officers who arrested him were lying?

The Breathalyzer that indicated he was above the legal blood/alcohol limit was lying?? (how a machine can lie is beyond me)

The constable that processed him and took his mugshot was lying??

It was a drunk and disheveled body double used to take said mugshot??

Really, all of this just to make Rob Ford Look bad?

Oh, and the ACC; While I wasn't there to hear his racist and sexist remarks, the fact that he tried to deny being at the game until FOOTAGE OF HIM THERE SURFACED, lends credence to what people claimed he said. If he did nothing wrong while at the game, why deny being there??

Oh and the pot possession in Florida? Again, he denied it ever happened until it was proven (again with police records)

That is at least 2 lies he has been caught in?

Oh, but i forgot the whole world (even cops in Florida) are out to get Rob Ford...

Please Dave, I have no problem with you liking Ford. As I have stated before, I agree with a lot of his fiscal policies, but please man...stop with the blind defense of him in the face of PROOF

March 11, 2013 @ 11:40 AM

Gary

So now she is saying that Ford might have been on cocaine?? I would love to hear some left wing comments on this story.

March 11, 2013 @ 11:42 AM

Anonymous

Rob Ford lost me when he skipped the pride parade.

I'm doing my PhD in downtown Toronto in a field where up until two years ago, I was the only born Canadian student (as in two had PR and one had just obtained citizenship). Even now, I'm the only one from Toronto, the other three being from small towns in BC. The students that were not from Canada usually come from countries where being gay was at least uncomfortable and in some cases quite dangerous. For one student, I was the first person he came out to. Of course, I had already guessed but never made a big deal. A little while later another person came out to me. For both of them, the fact that I didn't care made it easier to come out to others and introduce their partners to their friends.
One of the two later continued his studies in the US. The other works in Toronto, but no longer in research, and is almost a citizen. For the one in the US, it was a big relief for him to be able to tell people who he was and has helped him be happier. The one here is still amazed at how open the people of Toronto are and how we really don't care about someones preferences.
I say these stories just to explain how hurtful it is, not just to those in a certain community, but to the rest of us when you display yourself as wanting nothing to do with Pride week. Its not that we are gay ourselves, but that we have friends or family that are, and I want them to know that they are cared for. There are a lot of people in this city that have come from places where such expression could get them killed, and its important for them to know that in this city, they are safe and welcomed.

March 11, 2013 @ 11:48 AM

Dave Williams

@Phil, all of those pre election issues, yet the man wins the election with the largest singular vote for one person in Canadian history. I did not say all of his issues were lies, but most were either disproved or heresay.
The man ran on a platform, stuck with it, implemented it and is succeeding with it. You do not elect officials to be your best friend, you elect them for results.

March 11, 2013 @ 11:54 AM

Mississauga Phil

Actually Dave you did say they were lies.... here are your words not mine

March 11, 2013 / 11:20

If you tell a lie publically and keep denying it, it slowly turns into truth.
(end of copy)

So again, were the cops who arrested him in Toronto and Florida lying??

Oh,and by the way, for a man who corrects everyone else's spelling and grammar so much, did you notice that you misspelled both agenda and publicly?? People in glass houses should not throw stones...

March 11, 2013 @ 12:02 PM

Dave Williams

@Phil, Rob Ford plaed guilty for refusing to provide a breath sample, not a DUI. and the drug possession charge I am sure you could relate to.
PS Thank you for the spelling corrections; I am sure you are feeling really big right now.

March 11, 2013 @ 12:07 PM

Mississauga Phil

Never been charged actually......

And I feel about as big as you do when you insult the intelligence of people because you have no other recourse...

I see you still haven't defended his actions...because you can't...

March 11, 2013 @ 12:14 PM

Jacob

The horde of "Ford Nation" supporters jamming every channel with insults discrediting Sarah Thomson are probably the same flock of flying monkeys that swarmed Ford opponent Adam Giambrone when news of his affair came out during the 2010 mayor campaign, causing him to drop out and retire from politics in tears.

How nice it must be to be able to unleash a horde of morally ambiguous sock puppets armed with talking points to "rally the nation" whenever the need or opportunity arises.

March 11, 2013 @ 12:16 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Jacob - clap clap clap....

March 11, 2013 @ 12:29 PM

Dave Williams

@Phil, the actions that are being defended are the points that he was elected for. If every election was run on skeletons in the closet, wheather they are fabricated or not I am sure many past leaders would not hold a seat. By defending your so called actions on gives credence to these actions.
@Jacob, the reason why Adam Giambrone was in tears, was that his fiance found out about his affair and that was his last ditch effort to try to save what HE personally ruined. That had nothing to do with Rob Fords supporters.
Poor use of the word ambiguous though.

March 11, 2013 @ 12:35 PM

Argie

Anonymous,

He lost you because he didn't attend the "parade"? Wow!

There are many gay people who also want nothing to do with gay "pride" week.

March 11, 2013 @ 12:40 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Dave -bet pointing out the use of ambiguous makes YOU feel like a big man...

March 11, 2013 @ 12:41 PM

Dave Williams

@Phil, i am only here to help, touche.

March 11, 2013 @ 12:42 PM

Jacob

@Dave I stand by my use of the word "ambiguous".

With Ford supporters their stand on any matter changes depending on the context, being in Ford's favour or against it.

Notice the whole thing about smoking pot earlier in the comments?

March 11, 2013 @ 12:48 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Argie -100% agree with you on that one. I am about as pro-gay as you can be without actually being gay, and I have declined attending pride with gay friends of mine every time they ask.

Why?? Because I personally think pride parade does more to hurt the movement than help.

For someone like me with a young child, we stay as far away form downtown as possible on pride weekend because I don't think my son needs to be exposed to the rampant chemical use and public nudity that tends to come with pride weekend. Also, they make a spectical of themselves, and feed into the base stereotypes that homophobes have of the gay community.

Better to have a "pride festival" or something of that description in a venue like downsview park. Where people who want to be involved int he festivities can be, and people who don't, won't be subjected to a bunch of "old man dong" and the like...

March 11, 2013 @ 1:03 PM

Dave Williams

@jacob, Ford supporters stand by the man based on what he does politically. Most of his supporters realize that these constant personal attacks are fabricated or overly embellished to the point of being comical.
For people like Phil who keep bringing up Rob Fords past truth and lies, they either do not respect the tax payers dollar (but keep the savings that are provided to them) or are just disillusioned to what a political leader should be.

March 11, 2013 @ 1:03 PM

Dave Williams

@Phil, I agree the parade is over the top.

March 11, 2013 @ 1:07 PM

Just checking in... some interesting perspectives...

Yep... definitely my least favourite of all the Rob Ford scandals.

March 11, 2013 @ 1:31 PM

Corey

@ Phil and McNulty, I'm fairly confident I've never supported Ford directly in any of his decisions or policies. Where I have defended him is over agenda-driven attacks that are inspired by sore losers and crybabies who refuse to accept that Ford was elected. The whole conflict-of-interest thing is a prime example. I feel vindicated by the fact that it it was baseless, and thrown out, whereas you would probably have sentenced the guy to 25 years in jail if you could have. Rob Ford is not a hero of mine, but I don't like to see democracy hijacked by weasels. Let the guy finish his term and beat him in the next election. In the meantime, the Adam Vaughn's of the world should pay attention to the fact that 50% of Toronto residents voted this guy in for a reason, and he should respect that. So no, I'm not biased for or against him - it's the principals I'm interested in.
Phil on the other hand, is so rabidly opposed that he smears the guy with statements like, "Ford gave that woman the finger..." as fact now. I guess I missed the photos. Speaking of photos Phil, have you seen this one of a clearly wasted Obama? Are you telling me he isn't hammered in this picture?

March 11, 2013 @ 1:31 PM

Jacob

@Dave They don't just stand by him politically, they stand by him hell or high water.

If Rob Ford was caught smoking a joint in a public park, Ford Nation would say he's under a lot of stress and to leave him alone and let him do his job, "poor guy." (But not before demonizing whomever caught him.)

If Adam Vaughn was caught smoking a joint in a public park, Ford Nation would call him a socialist hippie pothead, and call for Harper to banish him to an arctic gulag because he's clearly breaking a federal law.

March 11, 2013 @ 1:33 PM

McNulty

@ Dave - I don’t know why anyone bothers arguing with you. You pick and choose what is relevant and then ignore anything that is counter to your point. Ford’s past lies are relevant. One story of him lying isn’t enough but several prove he has a credibility issue. But again, you will ignore that and say how great he is for the city. You are the type that ignores overwhelming evidence no matter how concrete or legitimate it is if it goes against your narrow view on the world. You will insult others to deflect from poor arguments (eg “will explain sarcasm in futre posts for your benefit.”) And I am still waiting for your explanation. Since you clearly missed the point that your sarcastic remark was as dated as your views on the world.
But whatever.
I will wait for you to either ignore me or come up with an insult towards my intelligence. I won’t hold my breath for you to directly respond to Ford’s previous lies and how that does shape a person’s character and cause their credibility to be under question.

March 11, 2013 @ 1:41 PM

Personally, I'd take a dozen Irvines and Argies over this one Dave Williams.

He makes me really miss OJ Boy.

March 11, 2013 @ 1:47 PM

Jacob

Also, can the "respect for taxpayers" talking point to dismiss Ford's opponents.

I'm a taxpayer who lives in Scarborough, and I'd love my tax dollars to be used for an extensive LRT network to be built as soon as possible. I use public transit, my kids use public transit, and the hard working people of Toronto use public transit. I also drive.

To me Rob Ford is a Tea Party obstructionist who deep down doesn't want any money to be used for "public anything", and blocks the way forward with endless rhetoric.

His political accomplishments have mostly been token. To use those to defend his constant string of public embarrassment does the city no favours.

March 11, 2013 @ 1:50 PM

Dave Williams

@Jacob, it must news as I did not think we had any Artic gulags. The scenerios you provide are outlandish at best. The reason he was voted in as mayor because people wanted fiscal accountability. The 380,000 plus that voted for him knew that being progressive would bring on the personal attacks that were prevelant during the campaign. What they did not know is how far the left would go to fabricate issues when he was in office.
Sarah Thomson created this situation period, the story is slowly unfolding and she has not been consistant in anything that she has stated. You actually seem like an intelligent person, it is unfortunate that you cannot see the forest through the trees.

March 11, 2013 @ 1:51 PM

McNulty

@ Mike

Good Old JP, it does make me almost miss him.

@ Dave (regarding the gulag) What was that about describing sarcasm to me?

March 11, 2013 @ 1:55 PM

Argie

"...a dozen Argies", hmm, let me think about that one....

March 11, 2013 @ 1:59 PM

@ Mike, Jacob and McNulty - you just made my day

March 11, 2013 @ 1:59 PM

Irvine (but not really)

A dozen me's....we are legion..we are many..there are more than a dozen of me already

March 11, 2013 @ 2:05 PM

And a kingdom of Cheryls.

March 11, 2013 @ 2:05 PM

Dave Williams

@McNulty no insult on your intelligence. Your elaboration on todays world views surely speak for your intellect level.
National,provincial/state and civic governments are in severe dire straits due to previous generational government spending. If you could provide one feasible, validated political lie that Rob Ford is responsible for, I am sure the masses would love to hear it.
Stop getting your news at the supermarket checkout, you will be more informed.

March 11, 2013 @ 2:13 PM

Oh...and Dave..

The saying is "Seeing the Forrest for the Trees"...not "Through the trees"

but I'm sure a highly educated, well read person such as yourself knew that already and didn't need some stoner pointing it out to you

March 11, 2013 @ 2:13 PM

Rob Ford Lie #1 - I was not at the acc

Rob Ford Lie #2 - I was not busted for possession in Florida

Rob Ford Lie #3 - It was the police who decided to divert that TTC bus to pick up MY football team

would you like more??

March 11, 2013 @ 2:16 PM

The three stages of a Rob Ford scandal:

1) Deny everything. Attack the accuser's character. (Until there's too much pressure or evidence.)

2) Admit no wrongdoing, or no knowledge of wrongdoing. Continue to attack accuser's character. (Until there's too much pressure or evidence.)

3) Sheepishly come clean, but fall just short of an actual apology. No lessons learned. Reinforce concept of "left wing witch hunt". "Just an honest guy, respect for taxpayers, no one works harder at city hall, it's for the kids, etc."

March 11, 2013 @ 2:21 PM

McNulty

Yay Dave!

You did exactly what I thought you would!

1) Ignore the lies which have been posted many times.
2) Insult my intelligence.

Thank you!

And a lie is a lie is a lie. Political or personal it creates credibility. He lacks it. But you won't admit that.

March 11, 2013 @ 2:30 PM

McNulty

And either I am really stupid or this sentence doesn't even make sense.

"Your elaboration on todays world views surely speak for your intellect level."

March 11, 2013 @ 2:31 PM

Dave Williams

@Phil, you got me these are all political lies. How silly of me.
One political lie would be suffice.
As a stoner I would not expect you to know that the idiom has been expressed over the generations in both methods, but the scholars prefer to use "through the trees".

March 11, 2013 @ 2:41 PM

519 Rob

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It’s a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it’s because it’s proven"

I think I miss Jean Chretien...

March 11, 2013 @ 2:50 PM

Dave Williams

@McNulty; And either I am really stupid or this sentence doesn't even make sense.

"Your elaboration on todays world views surely speak for your intellect level."

The senteance makes sense, so I suppose everyone knows where you stand.

Rob Fords political integrity has not been challenged. It is sad that trolls continue to attack his personal credibility.

March 11, 2013 @ 2:54 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Dave -a lie is a lie man. If a person can't be trusted to not drive a vehicle when drunk, then he sure can't be trusted to run a Major City...

March 11, 2013 @ 2:54 PM

Dave Williams

@Phil, the man admitted his past indiscretions, warts and all prior to being elected. Every concern that he has had while in office has been a blatant attack based on false rumours and lies. I am part of the 380,000 plus people that voted him in as mayor. Since the day he was elected, he has been attacked on a personal level so agressively but leftist bullies, that these people would be expelled from school if it happened in that environment.
If you contribute to this type of harrassment, you are no better than the local school bully.

March 11, 2013 @ 3:06 PM

McNulty

Your sentance doesn't make sense at all. And your constant need to belittle people and insult them makes any argument you have worthless. Now you're resorting to using the overused "bullying" tactic.
That's a last resort and bullying isn't even close to what this is. It's not being a bully when you tell someone you don't buy their story because of a previous set of lies.
Bullying would be making fun of something about his weight or his diet. That isn't being done here.

He only admitted his lies when faced with evidence that could not be washed about or blamed on the Toronto Star. That's not integrity.

And his drunk driving, drug use (which you are apparently so opposed to) and lying does relate to his job as mayor. He represents one of the largest cities on the continent.

But you'll call me a bully or a leftist (both of which I am not) and then call me stupid or something similar which is always a way out of an argument.

March 11, 2013 @ 3:16 PM

Freddie P.

I really don't know where to begin. You'd be the first to say "innocent until proven guilty" and criticize her bizarre method of "breaking" this story.. if it didn't involve Rob Ford.. Her story is so full of holes that even the most staunch Ford haters have been rather quiet. Your posting displays just how much you hate the guy. You go against your own established standards. Ford may be a whack job in your mind, but does this mean no one else is capable of such behaviour?
Thomson has a long history of tall tales and flakery. Look it up.

March 11, 2013 @ 3:17 PM

Dave Williams

@Freddie P, finally a voice of reason.

March 11, 2013 @ 3:23 PM

@Freddie P.

I never once said Ford was guilty. Not once.

I'm not about to judge someone for how they shared this story. I'm sure she didn't go to the cops b/c she didn't want Rob Ford arrested for this.

What I have little tolerance for is victimizing the alleged assaulter and dismissing and discrediting the alleged victim. I don't care if it's Rob Ford or David Miller, it's disgusting.

March 11, 2013 @ 3:30 PM

McNulty

That's the whole point, Mike. They always attack the accuser. Fred says Sarah has a long list of tall tales...list them. Besides the website with the wrong vote numbers from the Hamilton election.
What else? Has she ever accused someone like this?

I don't know if this is a true story. But to discredit the claimant immediately because you have a Ford love is ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as it would be to assume he did it.
All my argument is that Ford has a history of lying. I just want Dave to admit it but he can't.

March 11, 2013 @ 3:37 PM

@McNulty

I agree 100% with you. In this "he said, she said" situation, why attack the accuser with such fervor? How is my daughter supposed to feel comfortable standing up for herself when she sees this?

March 11, 2013 @ 3:40 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ McNulty - but it isn't a history of "political lies" so it doesn't count.....

March 11, 2013 @ 3:48 PM

Anonymous

Ford has alcohol problems (which he's lied to us about), drug problems (which he's lied to us about), and a DUI (again, lied about it).

He claimed that Daniel Dale came onto his property, crept up to his house, and took photos of his kids through the window. When police recovered Dale's phone (after Ford had a few hours to tamper with it), there was no evidence of any photos taken on Ford's property. So we know for a fact that he fabricated the whole story. Right up until the police released their analysis of the phone, we were encouraged by Redditors, bloggers and members of the mainstream press to accept Ford's version of events.

So in my opinion, it seems like the mayor has substance abuse problems, aggression problems, and zero moral qualms about lying. Even when he knows there is hard evidence to disprove it, he has consistently lied to our faces since day one of his term. He is not a credible person. In fact, I'm inclined to believe the exact opposite of whatever he claims.

March 11, 2013 @ 3:49 PM

Dave Williams

@Mike, Sarah Thomson created this storm herself. If it was legitimate in any way, she should have gone directly to the police. The woman cannot even keep her story straight at this point. This is clearly another shot to discredit the mayor that is failing miserably.

March 11, 2013 @ 3:49 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Freddie - I know you are a Ford supporter, but where do you stand on his DUI, flipping the bird to a mother and young daughter for calling him on texting while driving, his racist and sexist remarks to a couple at the ACC, his lying about being busted for pot in Florida, et al?

None of us are perfect for sure, but the man does have a history of erratic behavior and lying...This woman may have made everything up, it may be a complete fabrication, but Ford does have a history of these lies

Thoughts?

March 11, 2013 @ 3:52 PM

4x4 Time

"It's not a lie if YOU believe it" - George Costanza

"It's not a lie, if I know the truth" - J.P. Ricciardi

March 11, 2013 @ 3:55 PM

Cambo

Here's the gist of this.

We're never going to know the truth. Never.

Unfortunately, these side-shows- whether they're brought on by Ford or someone else- distract from the real business of the City. Ford was elected- fair and square. And if polls are correct- and there's no reason not to believe they aren't- he would win again today. This means the majority of the voting populous approves of the job he is doing. Side shows aside.

If you want to pick on something, pick on his POLICIES rather than tabloid gossip.

March 11, 2013 @ 4:00 PM

Jacob

@Cambo I don't like his policies. Him tripping over his own feet and doing a public faceplant every single week is just icing on the cake, and reflects badly on us all.

March 11, 2013 @ 4:10 PM

Dave Williams

@Jacob; so you are voluntarily donating your tax savings back to the city coffers? You must be for garbage strikes every three years, oh wait I know, yuou just enjoy wasted spending at city hall.
Get a grip, Rob Ford dispite, all of the negative shots fired his way, is doing more to improve the city than anyone has done in years.

March 11, 2013 @ 4:23 PM

@ Dave - grammatically speaking,that should read

"Jacob get a grip (need a noun to make a sentence). Rob Ford, despite all the negative shots fired his way, is doing....."

Gotta remember where the comma's go man, especially since you correct all of our posts....

March 11, 2013 @ 4:26 PM

@Phil; thank you.

March 11, 2013 @ 4:31 PM

Jacob

@Dave Keep telling yourself that.

Meanwhile, transit is bursting at the seams, our roads are falling apart, commute times are a nightmare, crime is on the rise, lobbyists are scurrying around city hall like cockroaches, and we have two-bit hucksters giving us the hard sell that a casino will solve all our woes.

But hey, we shaved a fraction of a percent off our operating budget, we don't have to pay for bags anymore, and Rob Ford sure showed those union boys who's boss!

March 11, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

Corey

@Phil - Despite what you and McNulty say, I am not a "Ford lover". I haven't tried to defend him on this issue at all. What I think I have done pretty consistently is try and point out that there is a blinding, irrational bias against this guy, and you're often guilty of it. Case in point - you continue to use this example of Ford's wrongdoing:"flipping the bird to a mother and young daughter for calling him on texting while driving" despite having no evidence that this occurred. Ask yourself why.
You add damning descriptors like, the "racist and sexist" comments Ford uttered at the ACC. By every account, Ford was an utterly contemptible, drunken boor who is lucky that someone didn't break his jaw that night, but were his comments "racist and sexist"? Not that I have seen reported, but you continually describe them as such. Ask yourself why. He lied about his run in with the law in Florida - but you don't leave it at that - you reference him being "busted for pot", even though that charge was dropped. Ask yourself why.
Finally, you seem to think it's reasonable to determine Ford's sobriety based on a photograph. I doubt you'd do that with anyone else. Ask yourself why.

March 11, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

Gary

So Jacob...is it ok for Sarah to accuse Ford of drug use by googling his symptoms and drawing her own conclusions??

Who is really making this story worse???

March 11, 2013 @ 4:50 PM

Jacob

@Gary No, that particular statement was a bad idea, but at the same time is it right for the mayor to go on his own radio show and say "She isn't playing with a full deck"?

March 11, 2013 @ 4:52 PM

Justin

Sarah Thomson has now come out speculating on whether Ford was on cocaine.

First Thomson said she was going to try and set up the Mayor for campaign fodder, then she took it to facebook and orchestrated a media circus (in part to promote her Women's Post magazine), now she's throwing around accusations of crack cocaine use by our Mayor.

She's a dishonourable woman who's true character has come out in all this. Sarah Thomson is a snake.

March 11, 2013 @ 5:19 PM

Dave Williams

@Mike; clearly the victim is Rob Ford, you have been very silent on this.

March 11, 2013 @ 5:23 PM

Speysidephil

Justin's post says it all.

March 11, 2013 @ 5:34 PM

@Dave Williams

Silent? I've been accused of many things, but not of being silent on this blog.

I disagree 100% with you. Nothing about that is clear. It's "he said, she said" and we'll likely never know what happened and I stand by what I wrote. It's wrong to assume Ford has been victimized and to attack the whistle blower.

March 11, 2013 @ 5:35 PM

Dave Williams

@Mike, so the "whistleblower" can continue and embellish her story with accusations of cocaine use? This a double standard in the worst way. I sure hope you do not condone this behaviour.

March 11, 2013 @ 5:52 PM

Cheryl

Well, this is it. They both seem like idiots. If Ford got removed from office, that would be a great thing. As I said, let's convince George Smitherman to run again.

March 11, 2013 @ 5:58 PM

Jacob

@Dave I have a feeling that if he hadn't suggested on-air that she has mental problems, she wouldn't have suggested on-air that he has drug problems.

But choosing words carefully isn't a Ford specialty.

March 11, 2013 @ 5:59 PM

NOT RAYMI

Rob Ford has done this before. Rob Ford's hand on Raymi The Minx (long-time Toronto blogger) ass...

March 11, 2013 @ 6:11 PM

@Dave Williams

No, I do not condone that behaviour. She shouldn't be accusing him of being on cocaine simply because she Googled the symptoms she witnessed. I wish she hadn't done that.

But it certainly doesn't change what I wrote.

March 11, 2013 @ 6:13 PM

Dave Williams

@Mike, kudo's for sticking with your convictions, but this story is so wrong in so many ways, if it was legitimate or even voiced in a legitimate way, there may some speculation against Rob Ford.
This is truly a case of someone posting a facebook comment for attention, and when the story gained some legs, she did not know how to pull it back.
Now she must keep building on the lie in an attempt to save face, but she keeps digging herself deeper into a hole.
I really feel sorry for her.

March 11, 2013 @ 6:42 PM

Dave Williams

@Cheryl, we cannot afford Smitherman.

March 11, 2013 @ 6:46 PM

Freddie P.

@ Toronto Mike - who are you trying to kid? Your very stance screams what you mean. And let's get this straight, no one has attacked this woman. All they've done is react to her ridiculous handling of the situation. The Facebook, the changing stories, her sacrificing her employee to "hopefully" get assaulted in a replay. She spoke every goddamn media outlet in the city, but refuses to talk to the police. You don't think this begs for criticism. This is not the case of an assaulted woman being stifled or attacked, its the case of a woman being extremely careless with some rather serious charges.
@McNulty - I'll say it again, I don't have Ford love, what I do have is respect for humanity, and this man has been subjected to way more abuse than any human deserves. I don't give a shit who it is, any politician, put them under the microscope like they have this poor bastard and the results won't be good. The entire Rob Ford story is the result of a pile of assholes who don't respect elections - and its grown from there. As for Thomson. look it up - even during her Mayoral run she left many scratching their heads with her bizarre stories - talk to any reporter in the city and they'll tell you, they always come away wondering what planet she's from.
@Mississauge Phil - where do i stand on all those things? I think they're inexcusable and I can see how they can play into this situation - but - it doesn't mean that Thomson handled any of this properly either. Remember, she's the accuser and she's been unbelievable careless... and that continued today with the cocaine accusation.
My original posting was in response to Toronto Mikes bleeding heart essay on how she's become the victim. What a joke. She not a victim, she's a goddamn attention seeker and she's using someone else's reputation to get it.
@Everybody - the ACC, Florida, Daniel Dale and the rest of the crap you bring up here has nothing to do with the current story. She has accused him of sexual assault and she has denied it. When its proved you can point back to the lies.
I certainly wish some of you dipshits had cared even a fraction as much when Dalton McGuinty was polluting this province with "real" lies. Lies that actually affected your lives.

March 11, 2013 @ 7:09 PM

Jacob

@Freddie I'm sure if Rob Ford held even a fraction of the power McGuinty had, he'd have much bigger lies than his current crop like "The private sector is banging down our doors to help fund subway expansion."

But the position of mayor has no real power, in this case thankfully.

Oh, and as has been said before, women typically don't go to the police over an ass grab. They either slap, stay silent, or simply tell everyone.

She may have been somewhat careless in how she handled this, but Ford is equally careless in how he handles all his scandals.

March 11, 2013 @ 7:31 PM

Jacob

@Freddie Also, as for being "under the microscope", he gave that microscope a hand-written invitation.

His first day in office he asked Don Cherry to go on the attack against "leftist bike-riding pinkos", setting the tone for his mayoralty. He then got himself a radio show where he could talk unfiltered, calling people names like a "waste of skin."

He basically went out of his way to make his opposition hate him from Day 1.

March 11, 2013 @ 7:43 PM

elvis

@Mike - this is how you explain it to your daughter:

"Both Ford and Thomson are politicians who will both lie, manipulate and do whatever they can get in the media and score votes. Also, please don't diagnose drug usage with Google or kick a football in front of a camera."

March 11, 2013 @ 8:17 PM

Freddie P.

@Jacob.. as a Ford detractor you're conveniently missing the point. She wasn't "somewhat" careless, she was extremely careless... and let's not speculate here about how big his lies "would be" if he was Premier - or talk about his carelessness in other issues because none of that matters here. The point, once again, of my original posting was Mike's claim that this woman was being attacked as the accuser. Bullshit. Her grandstanding changed the rules or the playbook or the stereotype of victims.. it was shout for attention.. and she got it.
As for Ford's claim to Don Cherry - I'd say that was definitely one case of him telling the truth.

March 11, 2013 @ 8:25 PM

Gary

Jacob...she is "somewhat careless"????

And, she accused Ford of doing cocaine and your response was..."that particular statement was a bad idea."

Are you for real??

And Mike....you have made your stance very clear. Where would you stand if someone accused a leftie of cocaine abuse with no evidence?? I don't think you would be simply stating..."I wish he hadn't done that."

Unreal.

March 11, 2013 @ 10:00 PM

Jacob

@Freddie Have you seen the comments sections around the net lately? Even her own Facebook? To say she's being "attacked" is to put things lightly. She's being crucified by Ford Nation. As for grandstanding, she's going against the master of grandstanding. At least she doesn't have her own radio show.

@Gary Would you rather I blindly support her 100% like a Fordite? I willingly admit she could have handled it better.

March 11, 2013 @ 11:24 PM

Corey

@Jacob -

I saw her FaceBook page. You realize you're in complete control of who you accept as "friends", and can block certain posters, remove hurtful comments, etc. right?
Sarah seems to be reveling in it. "Oh woe is me, soooo much hate here today...". She's playing this.

March 12, 2013 @ 6:57 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Corey - I have never called you a "Ford Supporter" you do seem to come down on his side more often than not, but I get the feeling that you are like me and just a little left or right of center. However, as far as the ACC goes, I believe (and I'm paraphrasing) that his comments were something to the extent of "maybe we should send your wife back to Afghanistan to be raped" that to me appears to be both racist and sexist...

@ Freddie P - It think that Ford's deplorable actions do have bearing on him as a mayor.

This is an extreme example,and I am in no way comparing Ford to Hitler, but, Nazi Germany was one of the most efficient, fiscally responsible governments in the history of our planet. But, none of us would want Hitler running things. I would say the same about Ford (and again...not comparing him to
Hitler), but just because he is fiscally responsible doesn't give him Carte Blanche to act like an idiot or abuse his power in other fashions....

....oh and for the Record, I've wanted McGuinty out of office since the day he was elected, I'd take Mike Harris back in a heartbeat.

March 12, 2013 @ 8:07 AM

Corey

So there you go, Phil. You don't actually know what he said, but you constantly refer to the comments as "sexist and racist". How by any standard could that be considered fair? Just so you know, since I read up on this, the couple who filed the complaint are a Caucasian couple from small town Ontario, so whatever drunken idiotic point Ford was trying to make was hardly racist, and just mentioning the word "wife" doesn't make it a sexist statement. So you can drop that angle from now on. I gave three more examples of your go-to favourite Ford infractions that you ignored. Again, my point is Ford's actions don't need to be exaggerated or falsified. There's plenty of accurate ammunition out there, but it seems like you always try to paint a worse picture.

March 12, 2013 @ 8:32 AM

Freddie P.

You know when someone is scrambling when they bring Hitler and the Nazi's into their argument. On any level.
Meanwhile, gag on this, and tell me how Sue Ann Levy is a Ford lover too.

March 12, 2013 @ 8:33 AM

Argie

Phil,

Most of us knew you were losing this argument from the beginning but whenever someone plays the "racist", 'sexist" cards, you know damn well they've lost the fight. Other cards people losing an argument will play are of course the "homophobe" or anti-Semitic"

Just give up, turn off your computer and back away from it. Go play with that son of yours we hear so much about.

March 12, 2013 @ 8:43 AM

Dave Williams

I echo what Fred was stating, anyone that brings and Hitler and Nazi comparisions into their argument obviously has problems deeper than a simple debate.
@Phil, we have had our differences, but you have clearly crossed the class line. Tasteless.

March 12, 2013 @ 8:47 AM

Mississauga Phil

People Clearly have problems reading here.

I am not comparing Ford to Hitler, I stated that at least 2 times in that post. My only point was that fiscal responsibility is not all we are looking for in a leader..there has to be character as well.

March 12, 2013 @ 9:43 AM

Ben Vidal

It's ok Phil. I understand what you were trying to say. The quote from Ford at the hockey game is "Do you want your little wife to go over to Iran and get raped and shot?". So Corey there is your quote.

I think that the problem is right now, is unless there is video evidence one way or the other it will always remain a he said she said.
Does Ford have a history of lying, yes overwhelmingly yes. Even when confronted with actually evidence proving his lie he'll often continue lying till the point where one of his handlers must have to say Ford just admit it. The drunk driving charge was not dismissed. He plead no contest to a DUI and served community service and paid a fine. For those of you who think just because someone isn't convicted or receiving the harshest punishment they must be innocent is a farce. Plea deals are made on a consistent basis, it's done to save money and time in the court system.

@ Fred, Dave and Argie: I applaud the article from Sue Ann Levy. My questions is to your three and anyone else saying why didn't she go to the police is why would she? I thought it was your very own conservative savior federal government that said "unreported crime" is on the rise when faced with the fact that reported crime was on a significant decrease. To say that all people who are sexually harassed, abused or suffer any type of sexual mistreatment would go to the police is a also not true. Many people who have been subject to this kind of mistreatment do not report it for a variety of reasons. Most of which is the fear of repercussions to themselves, that they won't be believed that they'll be bullied once they do and the list goes on. So to say that's how all people would react is fallacy.

Now for miss Thomson. This lady is by all intents and purposes going about this the wrong way, which immediately leaves her open to criticism especially from the ford camp. Getting your story straight from the beginning also helps significantly in proving the guilt of someone else or proving your innocence, which she has lacked. Her suggesting he was on cocaine certainly didn't help herself either as it's not for her to speculate. If you look into her history there are also things she's done or said that would leave one to doubt her story.

So who do you believe the guy that has a history of bad choice and lying when it comes to his imbibing alcohol or the lady that seems to be going for celebrity status by what she's accusing him of.

We all will take sides from the onset, but what really needs to happen is for the truth to come out. We can't vilify Thomson for coming forward whether or not she's lying, because if we do that others will be deterred from coming forward and that's not what we want to have happen. What we do need to have is strict punishment if her allegations are completely false.

Lastly Phil, the problem with bringing up Hitler is that Fred and his kin will go after you for any comparison saying you've run out of a valid argument. Yet when referring to socialism, they have no problem making reference to communists or communist Russia. Sad really, but that’s how it is, I only suggest next time taking another right wing government that was crazy yet fiscally sound, because there are a number of them. On the other side of the coin there are numerous examples of fiscal mismanagement by right wing governments around the world. Also don’t worry about Dave Williams he’s a bully and an instigator as can be seen by everything he writes. What’s even more sad is the time he said he and his coworkers were laughing at a response I had. Only people with really low self esteem need to find validation like that when they are being keyboard warriors in their workplace.

March 12, 2013 @ 10:48 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Ben - Thank you for the voice of reason. It would be beyond ignorant and foolish to compare Hitler to Ford...which of course I was not doing.

March 12, 2013 @ 11:12 AM

Dave Williams

@Ben, a long winded response for someone with limited scope on most matters. No one is beating up Phil for his poor allegory. It was in poor taste period, but that is what happens when straws are grasped at.
To state I am a bully for defending a person who has been consistently been slain in the left wing press is hypocritical in so many ways.
Are your posts comical, most definatley. For you to coddle Phil and then him call you the voice of reason...priceless.

March 12, 2013 @ 11:24 AM

Jacob

@Phil Hate to say it, but you Godwinned the thread, and therefore automatically lost.

March 12, 2013 @ 11:25 AM

Corey

@ Ben, as I said: By all accounts, Ford was an embarrassing, belligerent, drunken mess at the ACC. Whatever his idiotic point was (I believe it was in the context of accusing them of being "Commies", and inferring that other countries like Iran are dangerous places) it's hardly racist. That's my point - the incident speaks volumes about Ford's character without falsely applying terms like racist or sexist. Phil didn't even bother to look up the actual details, and I'm quite sure he imagined the woman must have been from middle eastern descent, and therefore jumped to the "racist" conclusion. That's what so many people are willing to do with Ford, react viscerally, and condemn him immediately.

March 12, 2013 @ 11:33 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Jacob et al - fine, please replace the name Hitler with Stalin, Marx, Napoleon, anyone else you'd like.

My point was that fiscal responsibility is not the only criteria for being a good mayor. And each and every one of you knew the point I was making and decided to take it to it's most ridiculous extreme...

...oh and Dave...Ben's bully comment about you is quite apt.

March 12, 2013 @ 11:37 AM

Dave Williams

@Phil, your compartmentalization is classic in so many ways, fortunately I have studied some sociology and I understand this defence mechanism. People that require self assurance from others are the people that lack the values to validate their own true beliefs.

March 12, 2013 @ 11:51 AM

Mississauga Phil

Says the man who called Freddie P the voice of reason when everyone else was disagreeing with you...look in a mirror sometime pal...

March 12, 2013 @ 11:53 AM

Mississauga Phil

I think you're just upset because even the moderator on this blog wishes you'd go away. Mike's just too much of a class act to ban you...

March 12, 2013 @ 11:54 AM

Ben Vidal

@ Corey: In that context I agree with you. I wouldn't call it racist based on that one line nor sexist. I'm not going to speculate on what Phil was thinking, because only Phil knows that. I do believe you are correct as of March 12 2013, people are more willing to react viscerally and condemn him immediately. The problem is his past is littered with things for which he truly should have been condemned for that today that minor things today get exploded to the nth degree. There are racist comments in his past, homophobic comments and a slew of other things a normal person doesn’t say. He even suggested that women contracting aids was a result of them sleeping bi-sexual men. I think even you Corey can admit that Ford is his own worst enemy. Someone who doesn't want the type of attention he gets wouldn't have his own joke of a radio show and continually be out in public spouting off on different things. If he was truly concerned with running the city then that's what he should do. He's as much of an attention w@#re as thomson is coming off as right now.

@ Dave Williams: Limited scope how? Based on what your opinion or those of your supposed "fellow office workers". One would think with the amount of time you spend on here typing away you don't have a job. If I was a right wing nut I might suggest you work for a union or work in the government. I think that the person with the limited scope is you. In regards to being hypocritical I suggest you look the word up and use it properly in a sentence and within the correct context. One bully defending another bully does not make you a man of the people or someone with a soft and caring heart. If you chose to be a little less of a weasel on here, perhaps it might be easier to imagine you as a good person.

March 12, 2013 @ 11:57 AM

Ben Vidal

@ Dave Williams: Your post at 11:51 is hilarious. If that isn't a pot calling the kettle black situation I don't know what is. You had your fellow co workers validate what you were saying online. Easy on the holier than thou act. It's tired to say the least.

March 12, 2013 @ 12:04 PM

Dave Williams

@Phil; my comment to Fred was not by any means a sign of me looking for anyones approval.
Mike and I may disagree on a political basis, but I agree with plenty of his topics on both the blog and the podcast.
@Ben, you may not understand venture capitial, so I will not give you the satisfaction that I can and do eat at restaraunts on a weekly basis that you could only hope for once in a blue moon.
You stated you "think" that I am the person with limited scope, but you have done nothing but berate myself and others for expressing an opinion on this one instance that involves Rob Ford.
Ben, you should be ashamed of yourself.

March 12, 2013 @ 12:14 PM

Jacob

@Dave You eat at expensive restaurants on a weekly basis? Well damn, I guess my opinion is officially worthless then. I guess I'll walk to McDonalds, buy a McDouble, and reluctantly accept Rob Ford as Toronto's Lord and Saviour as I cry into my medium Coke.

March 12, 2013 @ 12:26 PM

Ben Vidal

@ Dave Williams: Please use proper English. you won't give me the satisfaction of knowing you eat in expensive restaurants?

If that were true you wouldn't be asking people where to eat.

I think you should add berate to the list along with hypocritical of words you need to to learn before you use them in a big boys sentence.

Deal with your own shame by looking in the mirror, before you begin to tell others there are things they should be ashamed of.

March 12, 2013 @ 12:36 PM

Dave Williams

@Ben, I did not state anything about expensive at all. I was implying quality not necessarily expensive. I am not surprised that people such as Jacob and yourself would assume expense when speaking about something so far out of your realm.
But, you live on negative assumptions as that is called a reaction formation. When you look back someday, you will know exactly what I mean. It will be reminiscent of not agreeing with your parents when you were young, but ultimatley as you mature, you know they were right.

March 12, 2013 @ 12:47 PM

Mississauga Phil

You hear that Ben...when you grow up you'll realize that "Uncle Dave" was right....

March 12, 2013 @ 12:49 PM

Anonymous

Rob Ford is worse than Hitler

March 12, 2013 @ 1:07 PM

Jacob

@Dave Oh my god, please get over yourself. Your hero Rob Ford eats KFC by the bucketful, so using dining establishments one frequents as a means to establish superiority is not only childish, but entirely moot in the context of this thread.

I'm officially done in this thread, as I can't say anything more off-topic than that.

March 12, 2013 @ 1:13 PM

Dave Williams

@Jacob; you have missed the point why people wanted Rob Ford as mayor period. It was not to be a personal clone of the man you are electing, it is for the GOVERNMENT values that he or she is running on. He was elected to get the best bang for the taxpayer dollar and to respect the taxpayer. All 380,000 plus people that voted him in were aware that the man is not perfect. But we trusted in his fiscal policies. I suspect that if you feel that you have to be a clone to the person you voted for, it is clear you voted for George Smitherman.

March 12, 2013 @ 1:24 PM

Dave Williams

Here is a link to Sarah Thomson's radio interview. Mike there is definatley something wrong with this woman.

March 12, 2013 @ 4:31 PM

@Dave Williams

I really don't think you get the point.

March 12, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

Dave Williams

@Mike, please explain I want to see your angle.

March 12, 2013 @ 4:49 PM

Brian

Mike, I thought you swore off any Rob Ford talk on your blog?? It was good while it lasted.

March 12, 2013 @ 4:54 PM

My issue from the moment I wrote this entry until now has remained the same.

It's deeply disturbing how so many vilified the alleged victim whilst sympathizing with the alleged perp. The vocal minority of Ford worshippers are ridiculing the alleged victim and labeling Rob Ford a victim of another left wing attack.

It's sickening and after a few days I felt I needed to write about it.

I've never said Ford was guilty, just that in 2013 we need to stop attacking the alleged victim when she speaks out.

March 12, 2013 @ 5:00 PM

Speysidephil

Dave, if you disagree then you don't get the point.
The radio interview was startling, but the listener responses were very interesting in that the women told it like it was.
Yep definitely something missing in the deck.

March 12, 2013 @ 5:03 PM

@Brian

You're right, I did swear off any Rob Ford talk on the blog.

I'm going back to that. I'd have better luck convincing Catholics the conclave is total bs.

March 12, 2013 @ 5:12 PM

Dave Williams

@Mike, so you are stating that regardless of the situation, who ever voices there issue first is the victim? The main issue with credibility in this instance, is the fact that the alleged victim vented on facebook and did not go to the police. Her various interviews have not added any credibility to her story. Regardless of the outcome and yes she "may" be a victim, but she in turn has turned Rob Ford into a victim as well.

March 12, 2013 @ 5:13 PM

@Dave Williams

I'm not saying that at all. You seem to think I'm claiming Rob Ford is guilty. I've never said that.

If Rob Ford didn't do it, he's a victim. But neither you nor I know what the truth is here. No matter what you think of the alleged victim, ridiculing her for speaking out on Facebook is both insensitive and disturbing. I wish you wouldn't do that.

It's completely irrelevant that she shared it on Facebook and didn't go to the police.

But I'm done with this topic.

March 12, 2013 @ 5:23 PM

Dave Williams

I agree to a certain extent they are both victims.

March 12, 2013 @ 5:35 PM

Cheryl

Well, this is it. George Smitherman would have been a much better Mayor. Let's bring him back. That's who we need.

March 12, 2013 @ 6:04 PM

Freddie P.

@Toronto Mike - put aside whether he's guilty or not, your original premise in this situation is weak. If Thomson hadn't botched this thing from the beginning, I'm sure she would have gotten more sympathy.. including from me.
So tell us, she should have been able to make these claims, go on every bloody radio station in the city including the Edge morning show and JOKE about it, and nobody was supposed to have an opinion? Nobody was supposed to raise an eyebrow, nobody was supposed question her tactics?
Under these circumstances I don't know what you find so sickening. If anything her tactics, behaviour and ultimate claims of cocaine use with no proof are sickening.
Believe it or not, Rob Ford wouldn't be the first guy to get fucked around by flimsy sexual assault charges? - it's pretty hard to defend against and it's ruined many lives.
Finally, I know you're a smart guy Mike so you're not fooling me. The very basis of your original posting was a judgement on the Mayor. You didn't have to actually say he's guilty, the posting drips of it.
If you were't going to have any more Rob Ford talk on your blog, whey did make this exception?

March 12, 2013 @ 6:21 PM

Freddie P.

And one last point - the real tragedy in this is how Thomson has affected things going forward for other women. Blaming the victim has been a huge problem and continues to be, however the circus Thomson has created in her quest for attention has made a mockery of this serious issue.
Mike have you noticed the shocking number of women who've come out against Thomson - including lots of Ford detractors?

March 12, 2013 @ 6:44 PM

Justin

Freddie you're right on the mark as always.

Sarah Thomson would be getting A LOT more sympathy if she didn't go about it the way she did. Thomson didn't have to allege cocaine use, she didn't have to say she was going to try and set up the Mayor, she didn't have to send her EMPLOYEE to attempt to get assaulted as well, she didn't have to go to facebook, she didn't have to create a circus and go to every media outlet in the city, and she sure as hell didn't have to lie and change details of her story.

When someone changes details of their story and gets caught up in several inconsistencies it usually means they're lying. If there was a true story to tell she would have told the same true story every time. The changing of details along with suggestions that she was trying to "set up" Ford (something she hasn't denied) has made her lose all credibility. This doesn't pass the smell test, it's not even close, and Sarah Thomson comes out looking like a fool.

March 12, 2013 @ 10:26 PM

Dave Williams

If nothing else, Rob Ford's approval rating is remaining strong. It proves that following up on the platform that a polititian is elected on, will keep the polititian in the good books regardless of the continual attacks to discredit the person.
If Ford stays on his political objectives, we as a city will continue to grow in a positive way.

March 13, 2013 @ 9:11 AM

Rinse

Here's the thing: Rob Ford DOES use crack cocaine. A friend of mine, her mother is a serious drug addict. Rob Ford regularly goes over to her house to smoke crack.
The problem is this: The daughter wants to expose Rob Ford's drug abuse, but her oldschool Italian grandmother won't allow her to "bring shame" upon the family, long story short. So basically the daughter has become complicit with the entire thing instead of doing the right thing. Shame on you Jasmin.

March 26, 2013 @ 8:42 PM

The_Hoser

Wow, all of a sudden Rinse's comment looks pretty spot-on six weeks in advance.

May 16, 2013 @ 11:01 PM