My Thoughts on the NHL Realignment

My Thoughts on the NHL RealignmentThe NHL's board of governors have approved NHL realignment for next season. The new format will feature two eight-team divisions in the Eastern Conference and two seven-team divisions in the West.

As a Leafs fan, I'm going to look at this with my blue and white eyes. Our new division is identical to our old division, with a few new teams added: Detroit, Florida and Tampa Bay.

realignment

I grew up with the Leafs in the Norris division where we had a great rivalry with Detroit. I'm looking forward to enjoying that rivalry again, and always felt the Red Wings belonged in our division. So I'm loving the fact we keep our rivalries with the Sens, Habs, Bruins and Sabres, but we get to add Detroit to the mix.

I'm fairly indifferent to Florida and Tampa Bay joining the party, but I suppose it makes good sense geographically. What do you think of the NHL's realignment?

elvis

Why do you feel the need to share your opinion and tell the NHL what to do? What is your opinion on the NBA or NFL? What about MLB or MLS? How about the WNBA?

March 14, 2013 @ 6:45 PM

Dave Williams

It appears that the Florida based teams and Columbus have the worst travel out of all the teams. You would think that Columbus and Carolina would be in division c and the Florida teams in division d.

March 14, 2013 @ 6:50 PM

Booner

I love it! Makes sense geographically and brings Detroit into the mix. Maybe Borchevsky can come back and score against the Red Wings.

I also like the 3 top teams making playoffs with 2 wildcard teams from any division.

With Boston and Detroit making top 3 is going to be difficult.

March 14, 2013 @ 7:33 PM

@Booner

True, but it's difficult for us anyway. It's not like we had a lot of success with the old system the past 7 seasons.

March 14, 2013 @ 7:37 PM

Cheryl

I don't knkow what to think. I guess it's okay. It doesn't affect my Habs. I'm not sure where my Coyotes will go though.

March 14, 2013 @ 8:27 PM

Bring back the Kansas City Scouts

Makes sense except for the two Florida teams. But how long will the Panthers survive anyway?

Is there any truth to the rumour that Gateway Grocery is looking to buy the naming rights on the Bell Centre in Montreal?

March 14, 2013 @ 8:48 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Mike.- My first time at the Gardens was against Detroit in 1985 I was 4 and it went to overtime. I fell asleep on my Dad's sholder sometime near the end of the 3rd. Apparently I got on Hocrky Night in Canada during a crowd shot. I can't wait ti see that old rivalry reignited. Florida will be Marham as soon as that stadium is done so it makes sense.

@ Cheryl- Your Coyotes are going to be in Quebec or Seatle within the next 3 years so don't worry about it.

March 14, 2013 @ 8:56 PM

Mississauga Phil

* Markham

March 14, 2013 @ 8:57 PM

GAry

It's ok.

March 14, 2013 @ 9:53 PM

BC

I like the divisional playoff format way better than the conference format. We are going to get some really good playoff rivalry's going with team more likely to face each other multiple years in a row in the playoff. The last good quality playoff rivalry like that was Detroit and Colorado and that peaked 12 years ago.
I hope they go back to the Wales and Campbell conference names. Never understood the reason behind changing it to East and West yet still give out the Clarence Campbell trophy to the West and the Prince of Wales trophy to the East. They can give the new divisions new and more up to date names. But please don't give us those boring ass geographical division names like every other American Sports league uses. They got to stop comparing them selfs and trying to be like the others. Oh and the last year there was the divisional playoff format my Habs won the cup! Sorry Mike had to bring that up. lol

March 15, 2013 @ 2:19 AM

BC

And another thing. Its quite obvious the rumors of the NHL expanding by 2 is going to happen soon. Has to be the reason why the NHLPA voted it in this time. Its pretty much the same realignment format they voted down last year. Only problem is they need 2 more western teams and probably a third when the finally move Phoenix. Seattle would probably be a good location. But cant really see any other western location that would work.

March 15, 2013 @ 2:40 AM

Argie

Elvis,

You and your knee-slapping comedy. Too much!

March 15, 2013 @ 8:18 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ BC - I can think of one more, Scottsdale, AZ. That's where the Coyotes went to when they first left Winnipeg. There weren't many attendance issues back then. The problem was when they moved to Glendale. To put it in GTA terms, all the hockey fans are in Oakville and you put the stadium in Oshawa...not feasible to get there for a 7 pm puck drop on a Wednesday night. Phoenix has failed due to a lack of foresight.....

March 15, 2013 @ 8:32 AM

519 Rob

It's probably too much to ask, but I hope the division names go back to Norris, Smythe, Adams, and Patrick.

March 15, 2013 @ 10:48 AM

BC

@Phil. You are right I do remember when the Coyotes first moved down there to Scottsdale, the had good turn outs. Problem is they where playing in a basketball only arena and a lot of the seating in the lower bowl when moved for the hockey configuration didn't face the rink. I remember a game on CBC I think it was a playoff game. The side line reporter was going a round the rink showing how bad the view was from these seats. That's why they moved to Glendale to be in an arena built for hockey. It's time to give up on hockey in AZ. They have gone threw 4 or 5 potential new owners/ ownership groups for that team in the last 4 plus years. And they all end up backing out because there is no money to be made there.

March 15, 2013 @ 11:18 AM

Cheryl

Well, how do you know the Coyotes will move? It's just talk and rumors so far. Well, just found out they will be in division A. So that's where they'll go.

March 15, 2013 @ 4:59 PM

Andrew

Whatever makes my travel easier I couldn't really care less.

The Coyotes will move - I've done several games from there and they get better crowds at a pee wee hockey game. Too bad, it's a beautiful facility with some great shops and restaurants around the place, the big problem is none of the rich folks in Scottsdale want to make the hour plus drive to come to a game. I've done it before - it'n worse than the 401 at 4:00 on a long weekend.

I work a lot of the TSN Jets regional shows, so anytime I get to visit Chicago and Nashville more is a good move by me.

Almost home...

Cheers,
Andrew

March 15, 2013 @ 7:43 PM

Patrick

FLA and TBL couldn't take the loss of Leaf and Hab fans.

March 15, 2013 @ 8:15 PM