In Praise of Terry O'Reilly's Under the Influence

In Praise of Terry O'Reilly's Under the InfluenceOne of my favourite podcasts is Terry O'Reilly's Under the Influence. I listen to it as a podcast, but you can also catch it on CBC Radio One Saturdays at 11:30 am and again on Mondays at 11:30 am.

If you don't listen to Terry O'Reilly's spin on the world of marketing, you're missing out. Last week's episode on customer service was inspiring, and next week he's focusing on companies that promote products that have turned out to be incredibly unsafe. We're talking Asbestos and DDT here...

To subscribe, all the pertinent links are here. If you want to sample the wares first, here's the MP3 for that episode on customer service I mentioned.

O'Reilly

It's a consistently interesting series that makes me want to be a better podcaster.

Ben Vidal

Great podcast Mike. Thanks for the heads up. You were right about the customer service podcast being pretty wild.

March 19, 2013 @ 1:01 PM

Blind Dave

That was a great listen. Thanks for getting me back to CBC Radio again. It's been a loooong time!

@Ben Vidal: Thanks for the music advice on Open Mike. I'll give my reviews on Friday!

March 19, 2013 @ 2:15 PM

Andrew

When I graduated from Ryerson's RTA program I really, really wanted to work for Pirate Radio - which at that time in 1994 was still pretty small compared to where it is now. I get letters from the Chair of RTA, profs, etc and sent my resume and career aspirations to Mr. O'Reilly at PR. About a week later I got a letter in the mail from PR and inside was the best rejection letter I ever received. I framed that letter and put it above my desk - so everytime I applied for a job I looked to the letter for inspiration.

About a year ago, I emailed Mr. O'Reilly to tell him this story and he remembered who I was and the letter he wrote to me.

PR's work is so powerful and this is an awesome podcast... and too boot, he's an awesome person who has been a huge benefit to me and to the students at RTA.

Great post Mike!
Cheers,

Andrew

March 19, 2013 @ 4:47 PM

Gump

Terry O'Reilly is a national treason. He is a great listen.
And another reason why I'm a huge supported of the CBC. Although I'm not a huge fan of 'all' of the CBC (I'm looking at you Sook-Yin Lee), the CBC is full of fantastic journalists and broadcasters. George Strombo, Quirks & Quarks, the News at 6, Metro Morning, Q (I don't love Jian, but he has the best 'gets' in the country), Tom Allen, hot-sexy Laurie Brown, and even Randy Bachman.

March 19, 2013 @ 6:30 PM

Gump

But can I tell you about the thing I hate most about the CBC?
I absolutely HATE 2 things about it:
1. "As it Happens" theme music, "Curried Sou;" by Moe Koffman. IT MUST DIE.
2. "As it Happens" stupid stupid pun every night. IT'S NOT FUNNY AND IT DOESN"T WORK. DIE DIE DIE

March 19, 2013 @ 6:36 PM

Gary J Fox

Thanks for introducing this podcast me, half way through and I already want to listen to any other episode I can get my hands on.

March 19, 2013 @ 9:44 PM