The Battle of the Two Wendys

The Battle of the Two WendysWendy's seems torn. The fast food restaurant sometimes serves up advertisements featuring the real Wendy, Wendy Thomas. She's the daughter of Wendy's founder Dave Thomas.

Other times, we see the role of Wendy played by a thinner, younger actress. This Wendy reminds me of Alyson Hannigan.

You'd think Wendy's would pick one and go with it, but I'll still catch both Wendys airing on Canadian stations during the same week.

I'm rooting for the real Wendy to prevail.

Rick C in Oakville

They should go back to the "Where's the Beef" era ads.

February 18, 2013 @ 8:24 PM

Cambo

Probably because the original Wendy is not as "easy on the eyes" as the newer one.

Sad double standard. Dave Thomas wasn't a looker either, but they plastered him up for years.

There could be other reasons too, like original Wendy simply doesn't want to do the commercials anymore and they're easing someone else in.

February 19, 2013 @ 7:54 AM

Dave Williams

It is clear that Wendy's is trying to expand its customer base. The original Wendy (Dave Thomas' daughter) is pressing the quality side for the older client, the new actress is pressing the "value menu" for the cash strapped 20 something. Other companies such as Geico have been using this strategy for years.

February 19, 2013 @ 8:31 AM

519 Rob

On a burger note, did anyone see that Burger King had their twitter account hacked yesterday morning. I am sure that BK has solved it, and deleted the old tweets, but nothing ever goes away in cyber space. They are worth looking up, a few were quite funny.

February 19, 2013 @ 8:35 AM

Wayner

I'm fine with both "Wendys"...my question, however, is does the thinner, younger Wendy work / is a friend with all these people or is she an interfering busy-body?

February 19, 2013 @ 8:41 AM

elvis

@519 Rob - some will tell you the account wasn't hacked but just a clever marketing ploy by BK.

February 19, 2013 @ 9:23 AM

Lorne

Maybe the Fake Wendy is the one who thought up of the "Real" Canadian Combo. Double bacon burger and poutine.

Last I checked, in order to be a "Real" Canadian, one didn't have to be a morbidly obese glutton. I looked at the nutritional information for the combo, and EXCLUDING the drink, it was nearly 2000 calories, 2 GRAMS of sodium, and about 100 grams of fat.

I'm not saying that fast food should be healthy, and its obviously someone's choice to eat that or not. (They shouldn't, though). But to insinuate that to be a "Real" Canadian that this is your diet of choice, and that if you don't chose it you're somehow less Canadian-- not cool.

February 19, 2013 @ 10:10 AM

@Lorne

As a guy who only started reading labels and nutritional information 13 months ago, "nearly 2000 calories, 2 GRAMS of sodium, and about 100 grams of fat" means something to me. It means you couldn't pay me to eat one.

It's been 14 months since I've eaten at a Wendy's / McDonalds / Burger King / Harvey's. It's just too easy to be seduced into devouring "nearly 2000 calories, 2 GRAMS of sodium, and about 100 grams of fat", and that's excluding the drink!

February 19, 2013 @ 10:14 AM

519 Rob

@Elvis
Did you take a look at the feed from BK yesterday? I really can't see that being good advertising. Even if BK is trying to go 'edgy'.

February 19, 2013 @ 10:50 AM

felix

Don't worry, Mike. We all know the appropriate drink selection for that combo is a Diet Coke.

February 19, 2013 @ 10:21 PM

P.T.D.

Still can't understand how Arby's stays in business. Anytime I have driven by one there is never any cars in the parking lot.

February 20, 2013 @ 6:36 AM

Roshan

Looks lovely. Never had anything from Wendy's before. Atleast not that I remember (there might have been a Wendy's or two in Kuwait when I was growing up but I can't be sure if we went there). Haven't been to a Wimpy's or McDonald's since 1996 (no outlets where I live), never been to a Burger King or any of the big places you guys get in North America.

February 20, 2013 @ 10:15 AM

Roshan

Oh Mary Brown's is Canadian? We have a Mary Brown in India which serves the same kinda menu but I don't think they are the same company's franchise. I go to one of the outlet's a couple of times a month. It's Mary Brown without the "'s". That's weird!

February 20, 2013 @ 10:26 AM

Roshan

Oops. Big fail, didn't notice that it's actually Marry Brown India. Weirder!

February 20, 2013 @ 10:29 AM

Rick C in Oakville

LOL Roshan, I think there was a MacDonalds once and we use to have a burger joint in Oakville 20+ years ago called Big Macks, didn't last too long.

February 20, 2013 @ 10:17 PM

Roshan

I guess people try to rip of big brand names a lot. I remember around 15 years ago there was a small fast food joint on the outskirts of the city of Kottayam (around 90 minutes away from me) and it was called Pizza Hut - it literally was a big hut shaped shack where they made small pizzas and burgers with colas and shakes. They lasted 2 years before they had to close for financial reasons.

February 21, 2013 @ 12:37 PM

Corey

I will say this about Wendy's - if I had to choose to eat a burger from one of the big chain fast food joints (McDonalds, Burger King, Harvey's or Wendy's), Wendy's would win hands down.

And Lorne, seriously, relax. You're thinking way too much about a name for a fast food combo. It's really not that big a deal.

February 21, 2013 @ 8:04 PM