Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 23: January Heat

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 23Toronto Mike'd is back for a 23rd episode from our new studio. In this episode, Rosie and I talk about the weather... and Rob Ford, Kathleen Wynne, Mike Stafford, favourite comedies, a CFNY Superbowl ad and how to get out of washing your jeans for a very, very long time. This episode is exactly 41:26.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at https://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Argie

Stafford is the best. I may not always agree with him but he's awesome - the best on radio in this city.

January 30, 2013 @ 12:00 PM

Andrew

Sounding good... but you should bring your mic level down a little more.

Still going to find you a good compressor.

Cheers!
Andrew

January 30, 2013 @ 1:07 PM

Argie

@Mike

So why did he fire Freddie as his best man?

January 30, 2013 @ 1:15 PM

@Argie

I'll let Freddie tell that story.

There's no big moment or smoking gun... no scandal.

January 30, 2013 @ 1:20 PM

Andrew

That wasn't Skot's voice... LOL

I owe a lot of who I am professionally to Skot. He took me under my wing and really showed me what good audio is and how to mix properly.

I wish we had stayed in touch, I'd love to thank him for all those years.

Cheers,
Andrew

January 30, 2013 @ 1:39 PM

@Andrew

No, that was a promo for a Skot Turner Super Bowl thing.

I remember Skot from when he hosted the morning show with Freddie P. I think it was when Humble left for 99.9.

January 30, 2013 @ 1:44 PM

Andrew

Gotcha...

That would have been produced by John Mazecar. An awesome producer and very cool individual.

Yes, Skot did mornings but the weekend shift from 12-6 was his main show.

He was a really good club DJ too. Learned so much about DJ'ing from him - what to play, reading the crowd, etc.

Cheers,
Andrew

January 30, 2013 @ 1:50 PM

Lynne

Italian surname that doesn't end in a vowel: Marangon. There is a retired Italian footballer named Luciano Marangon. I think De Angelis is a common Italian surname. But there are few and far between.

January 30, 2013 @ 3:02 PM

@Lynne

Is it safe to say that at some point the surname Frattin was Frattini and maybe his grandfather or someone dropped the "i"?

January 30, 2013 @ 3:07 PM

Lynne

Yes, it seems safe to say that. I grew up in Etobicoke and over half of my elementary school was Italian. You just reminded me of the name Facchin. There's another one that probably dropped the "i".

January 30, 2013 @ 3:17 PM

Argie

Mike & Lynn,

There are Italians that have French surnames. Their families go back hundreds of years to Italy. French invaded Italy a long time ago and as a result some have French sounding names like Marangon. Former NHLer Rick Tocchet is another example.

January 30, 2013 @ 3:48 PM

Rosie

Luciano Benetton, founder of Benetton!

@Andrew Thank you for being our audio guardian angel! you are awesome

January 30, 2013 @ 3:50 PM

@Rosie

Benetton is just as Italian regional variant of Benedetti, right?

Regardless, I concede. Not every Italian surname ends in a vowel... just 99.9% of them.

January 30, 2013 @ 3:53 PM

Andrew

@Rosie: awe, consider it my payback for all the work in the past.

And I'm glad you took Mike's advice. Stay close to your mic :)

Cheers,
Andrew

January 30, 2013 @ 3:54 PM

Lynne

@Mike: Maybe the only truly Italian name not ending in a vowel is De Angelis. Pretty sure that one isn't French.

January 30, 2013 @ 4:11 PM

Rosie

@Andrew It's so hard! I am moving around all over the place. Used to having a wireless and not having to think about it. But I love how it sounds when you talk right into it. BOOMING!!!

January 30, 2013 @ 4:25 PM

Argie

"De Angelis" would be of Latin/Roman origin.

January 30, 2013 @ 4:30 PM

Declan

So relaxed and funny. Love the chemistry.

January 30, 2013 @ 10:25 PM

Lorne

(Listening now-- posting without reading other comments because, you know, SPOILERS! =) )

There's a non-zero chance that after you posted your letter, all future letters contained some text along the lines of "... and you may not discuss this C&D letter".

Given the overreaching demands made in your letter (personal data about your posters), I can see them putting some unenforceable, threatening clap-trap like that.

Of course, then there'd be a non-zero chance that someone would still post THAT C&D letter, explicitly to point out how much BS that clause is.

January 31, 2013 @ 9:58 AM

Lorne

@Rosie: I call BS on anyone who makes a speech saying "People are always coming up to me..." or "... people keep coming up to me to say..."

Really? Who are those people? They're lined up to tell you things? Because that happens to me ALL the time, y'know. People just come up to me and echo my talking points to me in the same wording that my speechwriters use. Even though I actively work to avoid the public, and have layers upon layers of flappers between me and them.

EVERYONE!

January 31, 2013 @ 10:01 AM

Anon&on

So if I spend $200 on 1 pair of jeans, wear them daily, and don't ever wash them, they pay for themselves... how? In washing cost savings?

What if I buy 5 pair of $40 jeans, wear each every fifth day, and never wash them. Heck, they'd be paying me.

January 31, 2013 @ 6:50 PM

@Anon&on

I agree, that $250 jean thing is a complete racket. I'm surprised Rosie fell for it.

January 31, 2013 @ 6:57 PM

Rosie

@Lorne I could see people approaching him to give him words of encouragement. Whether the sentiments are exactly how he presented them I agree may not be the case

@Anon&on + Mike Your $40 jeans are going to look like shit if you never wash them, whereas the $200+ pair will not. I'm just trying to save you money, and keeping you from looking sloppy. Thank me later!

January 31, 2013 @ 10:31 PM

Rosie

January 31, 2013 @ 10:31 PM

Roshan

Great one again guys! My fav comedies would be
1. Corner Gas
2. Friends
3. Seinfeld
4. Fraiser
5. Will & Grace.

I gotta put The Big Bang Theory in it as well so maybe joint second but it's still being produced. I know you guys don't like that show but I don't like some of the shows you like. And I could do without laugh tracks; but in this list only Corner Gas doesn't have one.

February 1, 2013 @ 12:49 AM