It's Funny Because It's True

the wireI didn't see Family Guy last night, but I'm told it included this bit about Breaking Bad and The Wire.

In case YouTube pulls the clip, it's Peter Griffin being hypnotized to say "Breaking Bad is the best show I've ever seen, except maybe The Wire. I will never stop talking about Breaking Bad or The Wire".

I enjoy Breaking Bad, but it's not the show I recommend to everyone I meet. That show would be The Wire, The Greatest Show On Television, Ever™.

Corey

I've always loathed The Family Guy. South Park did an amazing episode where they savaged Family Guy - watch the first 1:00 of this clip, and you'll know exactly why I hate that show. I bet you could show the parody to Family Guy fans and they'd think they were watching the real thing.

January 8, 2013 @ 7:27 AM

Lynne

That's kind of spooky, Mike. Do you think the Family Guy creators are reading your blog or do you live in an alternate universe? ;-)

My husband and I totally agree with your rave reviews of Breaking Bad and The Wire. In fact, I was the one who got the whole family started on The Wire. We tried with Breaking Bad, but that didn't get very far with them. And I was pretty disappointed in the plot turns this past season. The Wire is worth watching in its entirety every 3 or 4 years. So good!!!

January 8, 2013 @ 8:22 AM

Argie

That's freaking hilarious.

Talk to any normal guy in his 30s and he'll tell you essentially the same thing "the Wire is awesome but Breaking Bad is even better!" (or in some cases, the BB is great but the Wire is better).

January 8, 2013 @ 8:41 AM

JMK

Hi Mike,

I just finished watching the Wire for the first time last night. I started Season 1 in September and now here I am 4 or so months later and very impressed by the show.

While I'm not sure if I would call it the greatest show in Television history, I can't think of anything better.

To follow some of your previous post formats I have some of my own rankings below:

Favourite Seasons
4 (Started a bit slow but eventually loved the story lines)
3 (Liked the Hamsterdam plot line immensely)
1 (Really had no idea what to expect)
5 (A bit slow, enjoyed the closure the show offered)
2 (Had some great moments, but didn't care for the dock characters)

Some quick thoughts

I loved the way that most of the characters were seen multiple times throughout the series and were often connected to other characters

The randomness and unexpectedness of the stories. You never knew when someone might be murdered really added a level of suspense and made it possible for something huge to happen every episode

The fact that there weren't really good guys or bad guys was awesome, I liked and disliked characters on both sides of the law.

I did not like 50% of Jimmy McNulty's character. I actually think I didn't like the guy playing him. I thought he overacted - especially anytime he was drunk and his smirk didn't do it for me. I was glad the way the story shook out for him.

My top ten Characters
1. Omar Little
2. Bubbles
3. Lester Freamon
4. Duquan 'Dukie' Weems
6. Cedric Daniels
7. Preston “Bodie” Broadus
8. Bunk Moreland
9. Dennis 'Cutty' Wise
10. Howard 'Bunny' Colvin

January 8, 2013 @ 9:44 AM

@JMK

Great points. A lot of people have trouble with season 2 b/c it's a completely new environment and if you don't care for Frank Sobotka and the gang, it can be tough. But I've actually talked to people who think season 2 is the best season, even though I agree with you that season 4 is the best.

What I love about The Wire is that I love the ten characters you listed, but could easily list ten more I loved. How many series present 20+ amazing characters like that?

For example, I loved Slim Charles. I loved every word he uttered. He's not on your list.

There's Avon and String... amazing characters... they didn't make your top 10.

Then there's Frank Sobotka, Carver, Prez, Kima (although nobody puts her on a top 10), Daniels, and characters you love to hate, like Herc, Marlo, Cheese, etc.

What a show! I'm ready to dive in for a third time, but my brother has my DVD set right now.

Oh... and I loved McNulty.

January 8, 2013 @ 9:51 AM

Lynne

If you like McNulty's character, as I do, you might be interested in catching "The Hour", a BBC America miniseries production depicting the early days of in-depth coverage of the news (with an opinion) back in the 1950s, predating the zillions of news journalism shows we have today. Dominic West is actually from Yorkshire, UK. Who knew? The Hour is on Netflix. Love it! He has trouble with alcohol in this one too...

January 8, 2013 @ 10:19 AM

Lynne

Forgot to add The Hour is nominated for quite a few Golden Globes, including best actor for Dominic West.

Also, If you think Baltimore looked gruesome in The Wire, check out Brotherhood, set in Providence RI. Really brutal. Also on Netflix - 3 seasons only.

January 8, 2013 @ 10:24 AM

@Lynne

It's funny that McNulty, Stringer and Carcetti were all hiding accents.

I actually have the first season of The Hour ready to go, primarily because Dominic West is in it. I'm looking forward to it.

And if you see Zero Dark Thirty, there's a juicy part for one of the brothers from Brotherhood...

January 8, 2013 @ 10:28 AM

JMK

Mike,

Although season 2 is my least favourite season, it is still awesome (minus Ziggy). I felt like season 4 was easiest to relate to regarding the school system. Everyone had classmates that weren't as well off as you, and you felt for them, yet you really don't know what they did once they left the class.

I agree that I easily could have listed my top 50 characters. And it would likely vary on the episode. I thought about adding Stringer, to my top ten list, but not because I liked him, but because he made me passionately dislike him. I think I could have also switched Avon or Randy for Cutty.

It was great because all characters had flaws, even Prezbo, who turned out to be a hero after being someone who seemed a liability in the first season.

Prop Joe and Butchie were great as well.

As I said, the number of times that someone was killed off and I was caught completely off guard was too many to count.

I think I'm going to try the show Homeland next, I've heard good things.

I remember being obsessed with Lost for the first few seasons, sticking with it to the end and being either disappointed or left with soo many questions. Although the premises of both shows are so different, they both had very strong characters and character development.

Did you ever watch the Xfiles? A few years back I watched all 9 seasons, and thoroughly enjoyed it again.

January 8, 2013 @ 10:30 AM

Lynne

Correction, s/b Dominic West WAS nominated (last year). However, The Hour is nominated again this year in its category. Golden Globes Sunday night at 8 pm. I'm an awards junkie. Ask Rosie. Can't wait to see Tina Fey and Amy Poehler co-host.

January 8, 2013 @ 10:30 AM

Lynne

Zero Dark Thirty is on my must-see list.

January 8, 2013 @ 10:33 AM

Argie

OK Corey, them's fightin' words! The South Park clip was funny but lets face it, all they could get Family Guy on was the fact they go the side gag way a little too often.

Many of the jokes and obscure references on FG are hilarious. As for South Park, I haven't watched it as much as the FG so I wont slam it.

I'll admit after all of these years, FG is getting a bit tired and repetitive but the same can be said of any comedy that has lasted this long.

BTW, Team America from the SP guys is probably the funniest movie ever.

January 8, 2013 @ 10:33 AM

@JMK

Yes, I did watch the X-Files. Loved it.

And I watched Lost, too. They ignored so many intriguing plotlines and I left feeling a little empty and disappointed I had invested so much time. The journey was better than the destination, but The Wire is quite fulfilling and feels more complete.

Cutty was a great character... you can't cut him!

I hear Homeland is great, but I'm not in the mood for an incomplete series right now, if that makes sense. I don't want to start something that still in production. Sure, I'm going to finish the two I have in limbo (Mad Men and Breaking Bad) but I think I'll wait until Game of Thrones and Homeland have wrapped up before diving in.

I'm actually itching to revisit Oz, a series I watched and loved when it originally aired but haven't seen since.

January 8, 2013 @ 10:35 AM

Lynne

@Mike I haven’t started watching Homeland yet, but having seen Anne Hathaway spoof Claire Danes' intensity on SNL, I am not sure I could ever take it seriously. Check out SNL Homeland Spoof on YouTube. It's hilarious.

January 8, 2013 @ 11:44 AM

519 Rob

Greatest Drama - Rescue Me.
Greatest Sitcom - Cheers.

January 8, 2013 @ 11:52 AM

Corey

@Argie - I think that episode was actually a two-parter. It's revealed in the 2nd part that the side-gags are actually written by two manatees kept in a secret tank who push floating balls with random nouns and verbs printed on them together. I believe it's not actually that far from the truth! We can agree Team America is hilarious. McFarlane's "Ted" was horrible.

January 8, 2013 @ 1:28 PM

Gump

The Wire is great, but it is no Arrested Development!
Steve Holt!