Canada is the Most Educated Country in the World

Canada is the Most Educated Country in the WorldOrganization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), 24/7 Wall St. has compiled a list of the 10 most educated countries in the world. Canada tops the list.

Here's their top 10:

1. Canada
  2. Israel
  3. Japan
  4. United States
  5. New Zealand
  6. South Korea
  7. United Kingdom
  8. Finland
  9. Australia
  10. Ireland

In 2010, 51% of our Canadian population had completed a tertiary education, which takes into account both undergraduate and graduate degrees. I'm part of that 51% having earned an Honours Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Toronto back in 1998.

You probably know what I'm about to ask you... Do you have a degree or diploma from a University or College?

Sammy

The ad on the left wants me to get a college diploma from something called 'Yorkville University'.

With half the population having one, and the ease at which we can get it, I think the college diploma has lost its value.

I'm actually surprised 49 per cent of Canadians have only high school or less!

January 29, 2013 @ 2:26 PM

Coincidentally, Rosie and I joked about all our worthless degrees in the latest episode of our podcast you can hear here: http://torontomike.podcastaccelerator.com/22-january-23-2013.mp3

Sooo many decent jobs require a university degree, so I'd argue the piece of paper opens doors that would otherwise be closed.

In other words, I'll encourage my kids to continue their education beyond high school.

January 29, 2013 @ 2:28 PM

Victoria

I've been proudly not using my English degree for almost two decades. :)

January 29, 2013 @ 2:53 PM

Alison

BA PoliSci McMaster...

January 29, 2013 @ 3:21 PM

Geoff

BSc in Computer Science from UWO

January 29, 2013 @ 3:44 PM

Perhaps just as interesting, or maybe a little more interesting, who out there has only high school or less (besides my buddy Humble)?

And how did it work out for you? Any regrets?

January 29, 2013 @ 4:09 PM

mississauga phil

I have a diploma from humber and a degree from guelph. Not really using either right now for my job.....but I have them.

January 29, 2013 @ 4:43 PM

4X4 Time

High School only for me, and no regrets but it was a lot different when I started out. The breaks and mentoring I got simply would not be available to someone like me today.

I was working full time at 18, got married at 19 (36 years and counting to a wonder person), bought my first house at 21 (on our 4th now), been mortage free for the last 9 years raised 2 kids great kids (one a University Grad, one a College Grad)

My wife and I have been running our business of 10 people for the past 14 years and life is great. I am amazed at the education people have and do not or cannot apply when they apply for jobs with us.

January 29, 2013 @ 5:08 PM

@4x4 Time

Thanks for sharing. That's what I'm looking for.

Anyone else out there with only High School or less?

January 29, 2013 @ 5:18 PM

Mike from Lowville

One year of Tech College for me. Did my time as an apprentice in the auto industry. Got sick of that and went to an auto manufacturer. Hope to retire in 4-5 years. No looking back.

@4X4, most of the applicants for the 130 jobs needed here are by University grads. Soon you won't be able to say auto workers are uneducated. Been that way for 10-15 years now.

January 29, 2013 @ 5:55 PM

CQ

Me. And the HS diploma was mailed and folded into the mailbox. (No yearbooks either.)

long-winded:
Although I worked f-t at minimum wage where I could, paid for two following years of a local Comm. College starting its first of a 3-year diploma program, was refused life-time admission to the CMA (newly rule changed). I also scored a 100% overall in Computer Theory (then); and had my two-years' honours level falsified until a $10 reprint 13 years later. I had paid $70 for a post-attendance phantom 2nd of two seminars' accounting course repeat; both below honours grades stayed on the record.
Then I took another 4 or 5 years of CGA while living on my own under noisy (non Mom and Dad suburban palace) conditions, and still received nothing of recorded accomplishment. I completed many courses, some repeated, each with a 90% to write the exams; I received mostly below 65% exam only grades.
And later I took another year and a half worth of night-time university computer programming - when its lab rooms were closed for cost-savings.
I would never take another educational course ever again. Never promoted, twice dropped or pushed out, unemployed and middle-aged; I cannot qualify for even half of my earlier employments. I never broke through to a small home ownership ability either; yet I never took a 'real vacation' nor squandered money upon entertainments.
This was possibly better treatment then I continously received from Kindergarten thru Advanced Grade 12 (when it was still within Ontario's former 13 grades' public system).

January 29, 2013 @ 6:00 PM

dale

BA from UofT in 1979 - Geography & Sociology but it got me my 1st job 1 week before I graduated as I was told I got the job because I was able work independently under pressure. Don't forget that was 1979.

A former high school classmate of mine was into drugs & alcohol in grade 10 & 11 & then was suspended for 1yr. When I was in grade 13 he came back clean & sober & 1/2 way through he fell off the wagon & was put in a detention facility for 1 year. Our high school had a reunion in 2006 & this person attended & is now working as the head position for all placements of daycare workers in Gov't run facilities in Southern Ont. MANY us at reunion were shocked that Greg was still alive & especially with his position. He gradually got more educated.

We always hear that a BA is "bugger all" & a BSC is "bull shit crap" but at least it is something to be proud of.

January 29, 2013 @ 6:15 PM

markosaar

I have a BA in Psychology from Karleton where the 'K' stands for Kwality.

I do IT + development.

January 29, 2013 @ 9:26 PM

Blind Dave

Worked in IT for 20+ years with a high school education.

Got tired of it and am currently working on a Business Certificate and Accounting Diploma. I got the Accounting Certificate last June. Doing it all through distance learning, as I am a bookkeeper/office manager during the day.

January 29, 2013 @ 9:37 PM

elvis

I have a degree yet I have no idea what CQ said.

January 30, 2013 @ 7:23 AM

The_Voice

B.A.Sc. Waterloo.

The co-op program at the school lead to my current employment (6+ years now) and I am directly applying my degree.

January 30, 2013 @ 8:43 AM

Douglas

Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com.) and Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.), both from McMaster. The growth of the McMaster campus amazes me when I am back in the west end of Hamilton.

January 30, 2013 @ 10:22 AM

Cheryl

Well, if it counts, after high school, I took a medical transcription course at the CNIB for a year and then started working. I went out to work until 2002 and then started working at home.

January 30, 2013 @ 10:53 AM

CQ

Generation Jobless is a documentary at will air tomorrow night (Jan 31st) at 9 p.m. on CBC-TV. It's about Canada's increasingly more educated / less employed (and with debts) citizenry.

January 30, 2013 @ 12:34 PM

CQ

Generation Jobless is a documentary that [edit chg.] will air tomorrow night (Jan 31st) at 9 p.m. on CBC-TV. It's about Canada's increasingly more educated / less employed (and with debts) citizenry.

January 30, 2013 @ 12:37 PM

Jacob

Canada is the most educated country? Reading comments sections in online newspapers you wouldn't think it.

January 30, 2013 @ 12:49 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Electronics Technology diploma here. Use what I went to college for in 80's every day troubleshooting medical instruments. Should have been an Electrician. Better money and benefits, and would have been paid for my apprenticeship.

January 30, 2013 @ 6:05 PM

Ajax Mike

Full 3-year diploma from Sheridan College. Though I'm actually not sure where the piece of paper is.

January 30, 2013 @ 9:06 PM