Brian Burke Fired

Brian Burke FiredThe Toronto Maple Leafs fired president and general manager Brian Burke.

He was hired with much fanfare and hope back in 2008 but without a playoff appearance during his tenure, he's been on the clock for at least a year.

burkes law2

I was pretty sure they'd give him one more season. I didn't see this announcement coming at this time, did you?

4x4 Time

Weird timing for sure. Something must have happened recently to fire him now.

January 9, 2013 @ 12:52 PM

Mississauga Phil

I'm guessing that MLSE wanted no part of Luongo....Now they can tank and say "look, we've eliminated the problem, the next guy will fix everything"

Which is pretty much what they said when they brought Burke in.

Typical Leafs....

January 9, 2013 @ 1:00 PM

Blind Dave

Odd timing, indeed. Never saw this coming.

I'd be interested in knowing the "real" reason behind it all.

January 9, 2013 @ 1:08 PM

joel

Phil, I think it is actually the opposite. I think the owners want luongo but Burke wasn't willing to overpay for a guy that lost his starting position.

January 9, 2013 @ 1:16 PM

elvis

Holy shit!

January 9, 2013 @ 1:34 PM

Derrick

What a joke of an organization. Go Jays go!

January 9, 2013 @ 1:36 PM

It seems clear to me Burke ticked off the new owners.

Maybe they couldn't fire him during the lockout?

Maybe they don't like Burke's no-trade-near-xmas and other rules that hurt the team?

I don't know... but I know Burke and his gang were at the Marlies game last night.

January 9, 2013 @ 1:39 PM

Leafs Fan

So Burke stays on as an advisor?

And they hire his protege to replace him?

How is this change?

January 9, 2013 @ 1:55 PM

Leafs Fan

And Nonis looks like he's going to be sick to his stomach during this presser.

Is that how he normally looks / acts?

Is he going to cry? Is he going to be sick? Does someone have a gun to his wife off screen?

January 9, 2013 @ 1:57 PM

By the way, at about 1pm I had to pick up some stuff in my car and 590 was off the air.

That's right, during this massive breaking Leafs story, I couldn't hear 590 in my car. I popped over to 1050 to hear Brian Hayes.

How does a station go off the air in 2013?

January 9, 2013 @ 2:08 PM

elvis

How does someone drive a '99 Mazda in 2013 is the real question.

January 9, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

Leafs Fan

I'm certain this is all about Luongo.

Management wanted him, Burke didn't, Nonis will now go get him.

January 9, 2013 @ 2:24 PM

Blind Dave

The 590 internet stream was fine.

Maybe this is just a change in the face and voice the media and fans see and hear. Nonis was the point man under Burke anyway. I don't think Luongo had anything to do with it.

January 9, 2013 @ 2:24 PM

@elvis

My car is 100% paid for.

My car works perfectly fine.

My car doesn't cost me an arm and a leg in gas.

That's why I drive a '99 Mazda in 2013.

January 9, 2013 @ 2:25 PM

Sammy

590 is static for me, too.

Talk about bad timing!

January 9, 2013 @ 2:28 PM

brad

didnt tomike blog about the fan earlier today?

he jinxed the station

rip fan 590

January 9, 2013 @ 2:29 PM

Dawn Keibals

My main concern is, What happens to Burkies Doghouse hot-dog stand at the ACC?

January 9, 2013 @ 2:31 PM

Blind Dave

The hosts just said the FAN transmitter is down.

January 9, 2013 @ 2:43 PM

CQ

Blind Dave is right.
I would be almost deliriously happy if the Leafs had hired someone who wasn't a Brian Burke lackey.
Did Nonis say boo about his team being the only NHL team without any playoff appearances since the last lockout. Or at least did he express resentment of the past years' failures while he was already with us?
Did Nonis or his newer ownership honcho boss comment on the Leafs' apparent to all previous years' no-Ontario top tier players roster?
Why was the press conference microphone audio garbled when a CBC reporter, and anyone else asked a tougher question?
Would the Leafs still have needed to pay Burke, as they did Ron Wilson's resigned contract, if they went ahead and fired him months earlier? Is this why he is still a Senior Advisor?

p.s. Burke's Law was a crummy Aaron Spelling show, wasn't it?

January 9, 2013 @ 2:47 PM

@CQ

Burke's Law was indeed an Aaron Spelling production.

January 9, 2013 @ 2:49 PM

@Blind Dave

That's incredible timing for The FAN transmitter to come down. How many people tuned in 590 to listen to the breaking news that Burke's been fired? Terrible luck... they should be able to throw a switch and broadcast from Bobcat's basement when that happens.

January 9, 2013 @ 2:50 PM

felix

Likewise, I did not see this coming. The timing is certainly odd, but I'm also of the belief that this has something to do with ownership wanting Luongo and BB not wanting to pay (overpay?) the price.

January 9, 2013 @ 3:05 PM

Cheryl

Who cares. I'm a Habs and coyotes fan. Go Habs and Coyotes.

January 9, 2013 @ 4:13 PM

Argie

Thank you, God. My prayers have been answered. No offence intended to my atheist friends out there.

Maybe his new bosses weren't pleased with his brutal record in Toronto. Four years and soon to be 5 out of the playoffs. He had to go.

January 9, 2013 @ 4:27 PM

Patrick

@Blind Dave 13:08. "Never saw this coming" punny.

Can't wait to hear the real story.

January 9, 2013 @ 4:57 PM

Speysidephil

To those who believe this had everything to do with Burke not wanting Luongo and MLSE wanting him, you are absolutely correct.

January 9, 2013 @ 5:03 PM

Please don't sacrifice the future for Luongo, please don't sacrifice the future for Luongo...

January 9, 2013 @ 5:04 PM

Dwano

Big smeggin' deal. Burke is still there advising. This move is probably hype to get us to quickly forget the lockout and rally the fence sitters to buy tickets to see the "new" leafs.

Reminds me of the Midnight Oil song "Short Memory".

January 9, 2013 @ 6:45 PM

Blind Dave

@Patrick

Egad, I missed my own unintentional pun. Glad someone is paying attention.

@Toronto Mike

I agree. It's gonna take more than one above average goalie to turn this team around. I don't want to see that trade either.

@Speysidephil

I think it had more to do with Burke not fitting the corporate model (image) of the new owners. He is not politically correct and that just doesn't sit well with a corporation concerned with its image and brand.* Burke's caustic attitude works like a damn when he wins, but start losing and that attitude will soon be adjusted. It just got adjusted. Like it or not, even the big boys have bosses, and true autonomy just doesn't exist in an organization that must answer to its shareholders.

* Bell and/or Rogers being concerned with a quality brand and good customer service is a misnomer in itself.

January 9, 2013 @ 8:46 PM

Rosie

@Dwano That is the first thing I thought

January 9, 2013 @ 10:28 PM

Speysidephil

@blind Dave

I agree, but I believe that attitude was involved in the Luongo situation.
My way or the highway.

January 9, 2013 @ 11:19 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Argie - Agreed

@ Mike - Even more agreed

January 10, 2013 @ 8:11 AM

Cheryl

The Leafs won't win the cup. My Habs or Coyotes will.

January 10, 2013 @ 9:07 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Cheryl - Um.....not that I think the Leafs will win the cup, but what have you been smoking that you think the Habs or Coyotes will??

January 10, 2013 @ 11:44 AM

Cheryl

I don't smoke. I just think it's about time the Habs or Coyotes will win the cup. They will.

January 10, 2013 @ 6:27 PM

Roshan

Did they have to wait the entire lockout to decide this? So close to the opening of the new shortened season?

January 12, 2013 @ 11:39 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Not sure if true, but I have heard a certain rumour of Burkie and a Sportsnet personality having some interaction ;) that may have not sat well with the masters.

January 13, 2013 @ 7:51 AM