Andrew Wiggins: Canada's LeBron

Andrew Wiggins: Canada's LebronI only became aware of Andrew Wiggins last year when my brother Ryan espoused his virtues as a slam-dunk #1 pick in 2014. Wiggins is from Vaughan "The City Above Toronto" and currently plays for Huntington Prep High School in West Virginia. I'm told the nickname "Canada's LeBron" is well deserved.

If Andrew Wiggins stays healthy, he's a lock to go first overall in 2014, but already I'm seeing articles asking if the Raptors shouldn't tank for Wiggins.... next season.

wiggins

I've never been comfortable with the idea of a team intentionally sucking in order to score a better draft pick. I like to root for my team to win, even if I know they can't win the championship, and I believe we owe it to sport to make the opposition earn every win against us. The notion of tanking has never agreed with me.

And in the NBA, you can come in dead last and not get the #1 pick. In fact, there's a 75% chance you won't get the first pick overall if you come in last. That's far from a guarantee.

Wiggins may be a once-in-a-generation player, and he's even Canadian, but if we're already talking about tanking to improve our odds of drafting him in 2014, we really are hopeless.

Argie

If Wiggins is as talented as we expect he will do the same as what other very talented Canadians do - that is to NOT play in Canada. Just ask Steve Yzerman, Gretzky, Steve and Rick Nash and many others. Our high taxes, sub par health system and other deficiencies keep star athletes away.

Sure, the Raps can draft him but will he stay after his rookie contract is up?

January 30, 2013 @ 8:42 AM

MrFascination

Its only basketball... Who cares

January 30, 2013 @ 9:36 AM

Derrick

I care and apparently Mike cares as well.

January 30, 2013 @ 9:48 AM

MrFascination

2 Of The Few...

- TSN Would rather show anything (Including Bowling on the main network and move them to TSN2) because the rating are so poor.

- WWE wrestling rating are TWICE that of the NBA in any local market when they go head-to-head

- And most importantly, the players don't care...

January 30, 2013 @ 10:28 AM

Derrrick

Points 1 and 2 may be true, but that won't stop me from watching or caring.

And I don't think point #3 is true.

January 30, 2013 @ 10:31 AM

Cheryl

Maybe he should get traded to my Suns. If he is any good, my Suns could use him.

January 30, 2013 @ 10:43 AM

Derrick

Cheryl, Wiggins is in high school. He can't be traded.

However "your" Suns are not playing very well. They may get the 1st overall pick and have the opportunity to draft him.

January 30, 2013 @ 10:52 AM

And we're a year ahead of schedule... tanking this season won't help. We'd have to plan to suck next season.

Part of the reason Raptors basketball doesn't draw well is the fact they stink. The only team in this market that can get away with stinking is my Leafs!

January 30, 2013 @ 11:14 AM

Jamie

Let's go Blue Jays!

January 30, 2013 @ 1:53 PM

Where's Greg Newton these days? Can the Raps sign him?

January 30, 2013 @ 2:39 PM

Breaking Raps news...

Rudy Gay appears to be on his way to Toronto.

Several outlets are reporting that the Raptors and Memphis Grizzlies have an agreement in principle that would send Gay to Toronto along with centre Hamed Haddadi in exchange for Jose Calderon and Ed Davis.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports is also reporting that the Grizzlies are looking to route Calderon to a third team as part of the deal.

Detroit, Boston and Dallas appear to be the front-runners to land Calderon.

Gay, the Grizzlies leading scorer this season, is averaging 17.2 points per game to go along with 5.9 rebounds and 2.6 assists.

Besides his scoring, Gay also brings a large contract with him to Toronto. He signed a five-year $82 million deal in the summer of 2010.

Calderon has averaged 11.1 points and 7.4 assists for the Raptors this season while Davis has averaged 9.7 points and 6.7 rebounds.

Calderon has one-year left on his current contract at $10.5 million for next season.

January 30, 2013 @ 6:04 PM

Cheryl

My Suns won last night, but as a whole, they're not doing great. It's no good. This is why I'm saying my suns should get him. Anyway, don't talk about baseball yet. It's nice not to have boring baseball around for a while.

January 31, 2013 @ 3:50 PM