A Tale of Two Raptor Teams

A Tale of Two Raptor TeamsLess than a month ago, the Raptors were 4-19. 4-19 is pretty ugly. 4-19 was enough to get me to stop tuning in, despite the fact my main winter team isn't playing at all.

Since then, the Raptors have won 8 of 9. 12-20 is nothing to write home about, but it beats the mess out of 4-19. Heck, in the Eastern Conference, 12-20 puts us in 10th place, only 2.5 games out of the playoffs. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

With Andrea Bargnani out of the lineup, and the Raps putting in a solid defensive effort most nights, I've been watching again, and it's been fun. It's not a star-laden team, but it's a cohesive collective that plays together and shares the wealth between DeMar DeRozan, Jose Calderon, Kyle Lowry, Ed Davis, Alan Anderson, Amir Johnson and Terrence Ross who managed to score 26 points last night.

I'm not foolish enough to suggest the Raptors will make the playoffs, and I'm well aware these wins are coming against weaker teams, but with 8 wins in 9 games, they certainly have my attention.

Ping me when we trade Bargnani for a 2nd round pick.

P.s. Sorry to hear Raptorized John passed away. I've heard his calls on The FAN 590 for so long, it was like he was a part of the station. Raptorized John had a distinctive voice and always started his call with "Yo!".

Raptorized John died last week during his sleep. I'm thinking he would have been jazzed about Ross's effort last night.

Glen

The Raptors are a very badly run organization. Colangelo should have been fired a long time ago.
It's nice they are winning now but they will probably lose 40+ games again this season.
It's not something to cheer about.
Fans like yourself deserve better than 20 years of suckage.

January 3, 2013 @ 11:58 AM

2006–07 Atlantic Division champs!

January 3, 2013 @ 12:02 PM

Corey

So I really couldn't care less about the Raptors. I don't watch basketball in general, although I have to admit, the few times I've been to a game at the ACC, I've been entertained.

Here's a completely random and trivial thought - I hate that the Raptors bucked the Toronto sporting tradition of having blue and white in their uniforms (opening the door for TFC to do the same), and I've always hated that they jumped on the whole flash-in-a-pan 90's Jurassic Park buzz for their name and logo, presumably to attract kids. While a velociraptor was a swift, lithe dinosaur, the logo looks like a lumbering nonathletic cartoon. I propose a redesign. Blue and white primary colours, and they can keep the grey/silver from the current uni's as an accent colour. Change the dino to a cool, aggressive bird-of-prey (also properly classified as a "raptor"). Superficial changes, yeah, but it would eliminate a couple of reasons for me to hate them! :)

Who's with me?

January 3, 2013 @ 12:52 PM

@Corey

I've always felt our team should be named the Huskies.

I, too, hate the name Raptors. It was a fad name.

It's time for the Toronto Huskies!

January 3, 2013 @ 12:56 PM

mike

I hated the name the Craptors as well and always thought the Huskies were the perfect name.

January 3, 2013 @ 2:44 PM

Amir

Double dribble!

January 3, 2013 @ 5:14 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Suns lost a bunch in a row, but won last night. My Suns were in a slump while the Raptors were hot.

January 3, 2013 @ 6:12 PM

Mike Kic

Boon,

Good to hear people talking about the Raptors, getting very tired about all this CBA BS. I also don't need TSN to update me on when a new meeting is happening, what the meeting is about....blah blah blah.

Yes, I get we are a hockey city, but should we even care anymore at this point?

Raptors had the toughest schedule to begin the season, the first 22 games were brutal (hence the record). We now have the 4th easiest schedule from now until the end of the year. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few things by then:

- Raps finishing 8th (and getting swept in the first round by the Heat)
- Bargs being moved in the next month
- Calderon still in a Raps uni by the end of the year

All in all, if you don't watch basketball, you should get into it. Yes, the refs may dictate the outcome occassionaly, but watching this Raps play a team game is pretty amazing!

January 4, 2013 @ 2:04 PM