Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 16: I Am Mine

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 16Here's the 16th episode of my podcast, Toronto Mike'd. In this episode, Rosie and I chat for over an hour about so many fun and interesting things. If you only listen to one episode of Toronto Mike'd, make it this one. This episode is exactly 1:08:18.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Topics covered include, but are not limited to:

• Chemicals in the building and their effect on Rosie
  • Rogers takes back the good mics
  • Ok Blue Jays!
  • Neil Young concert review
  • Drive thrus
  • First concerts remembered
  • The Santa Claus parade
  • Pronouncing gif
  • Argos fight song and the 100th Grey Cup
  • The future of Toronto Mike'd
  • Saying no to Gerard Kennedy
  • Breasts and heaven

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at https://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Argie

Mike,
I have a few questions:
What does the mumbler/rapper say in the opening bumper?
Did you refer to John Buck's position as "BACK-catcher"?
At what age do you stop taking your kids to the Santa Claus parade?

November 21, 2012 @ 9:38 AM

@Argie

1. I'm not certain what iLLvibe is saying. I know the first words are "What up Mike.... Toronto". I'll ask him for the lyrics and post them because I should probably know what he's saying about me in my theme song.

2. Yes, I referred to catcher as backcatcher. It's a habit I have from when I was a kid and we called it that in the school yard. I just Googled it and it seems to be a Canadian thing.

3. I don't have a specific date when I'll stop taking them, but it'll likely be when they won't have a good time. So long as it's fun for all of us, we'll go.

November 21, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

Sammy

You gave the shout out to the wrong Sam!

November 21, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

Lyle Lanley

What a nice hour... you guys are just talking and I was never bored. I loved it.

CBC Radio should pick you up. :)

Great job!

November 21, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

@Sammy

I just hope Sammi hears this episode. Sammi, if you're reading, please listen to episode 16... you won't be disappointed.

I often wonder how many commenter shout outs are never heard by the commenter.

@Lyle Lanley

Thanks... this was the first episode with just Rosie and I in the room, and instead of recording two 30-minute episodes, we decided to do one hour-long episode. Personally, I think this episode is closest to what I always envisioned for Toronto Mike'd. I meant what I wrote in the intro, if you only listen to one episode, make it this one.

@Argie

I just heard back from iLLvibe. Here are the lyrics to the Toronto Mike'd theme song.

I'm in Toronto, where you wanna give the city love /
I'm from Toronto where you wanna give the city love /
I'm with Toronto Mike'd we wanna give the city love /
My City Love me back for my City Love /

What up Toronto Mike, I'm feelin' on a roll /
Grade A podcast find em on'a honour roll /
Jumped in head first like Geronamo /
Talkin' fo' the whole city that I'm callin' home /
See, we runnin' round Toronto we in a rush,
in immediate effect, we need a media to trust /
Because the grievances discussed here /
we be the end of us /
The people on the bus and the cubicles a bust /
It's just an offer a 30 minutes a cool /
Cause in Toronto the dirty winters a cruel /
And city summers are hot / gets gritty up in the dot /
Lets read in between the lines and really sum up the plot /
When politicians are crooks / Toronto misses no looks /
As long as they listen in when Mike is up in the books /
Or on the blog bombin' em what's goin' on at night /
With his partna droppin' on em got it locked Toronto Mike'd /

November 21, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

Argie

Mike,

I've heard that Kennedy is a jerk - and no, I'm not saying that because he's a liberal.

Also re: Hitchens' book. I haven't read it so I wonder if he mentions the fact that the Godless regimes of the Soviet Union and China were responsible for 10's of millions deaths of their own citizens, EACH. That's way more than any religion has been responsible for in its entire existence (even our muslim friends can't top that).

November 21, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

Declan

Reading the lyrics for the them song, I see "It's just an offer a 30 minutes a cool".

Going to an hour long podcast will require a rewrite.

Enjoyed this episode, Mike. I love Rosie's enthusiasm.

November 21, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

Sammi

Ok...I listened and it was very difficult to hear my name while OLP was playing in the background. I think Rosi agreed with me on this one.

Here is my annual compliment....you are getting a lot better in these podcasts and I actually enjoyed listening to this one. Thanks for the 'shout out'.

Ok...I have to stop being nice now.

November 21, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

@Sammi

Xmas has come early to Toronto Mike. I think my eyes are sweating a little bit.

Please stop being nice for the next 364 days.

November 21, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

Roshan

Our Lady Peace is great even now. I love their music which is better than a lot of other stuff that is current. Big fan. This is a great big podcast, I'm listening to it and doing a lot of other stuff at the same time.

November 21, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

Alex

Just finished #16 and enjoyed it.

Antitheism (sometimes anti-theism) is active opposition to theism. The term has had a range of applications; in secular contexts, it typically refers to direct opposition to organized religion or to the belief in any deity.

Colour me antitheism.

November 21, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

Argie

Alex,

Being an antitheist reminds me of those guys you know who have been playing golf for 30 years and will brag they've never had a lesson - but there's one problem, they can barely break 100.

November 21, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

Alex

@Argie

Religion divides. Case in point, you're claiming I can barely break 100. Whose to say I'm not 10 strokes under par?

November 21, 2012 @ 1:58 PM

Argie

Alex,

You could be a scratch golfer for all I know - just think how better you would be if you had a lesson....

That's all I'm trying to say.

November 21, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

Alex

@Argie

Who's teaching this lesson exactly?

November 21, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

Argie

Alex,

That's up to you.

November 21, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

T

Personally, I don't care if someone believes in religion or not. I'm more interested in the breast talk we're promised next week.

I really, really, really, really liked this episode and wish radio sounded more like this and less like the phony baloney radio we have in this city.

Peace.

November 21, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

Lynne

Best one yet! Mike, maybe you are a Humanist? No need for labels though, just a thought.

November 21, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

@Lynne

I'm good with humanist. I don't feel the need to label it further. I try and treat others the way I'd like to be treated and raise my kids to be good citizens.

November 21, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

Lynne

A great way to live and raise the next generation. It comes through in your blog and in your podcast.

November 21, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

Rosie

@Mike & Lynne I agree!

I love this quote by Arundhati Roy, who wrote one of the most beautiful books I have ever read "The God of Small Things." This is from her book War Talk:

“Nationalism of one kind or another was the cause of most of the genocide of the twentieth century. Flags are bits of colored cloth that governments use first to shrink-wrap people's minds and then as ceremonial shrouds to bury the dead."

I would like to read the book Christopher Hitchens' brother Peter wrote, The Rage Against God: How Atheism Led Me To Faith. So interesting how two brothers had such different beliefs. A bit from a 2010 New York Times review:

"Whereas Christopher argues, in “God Is Not Great,” that criminal states like Stalin’s were in fact not atheist, but quasi-religious cults, Peter concluded that they were indeed as good as their word, atheist to the core, and that their overthrow of God helped enable their murderous policies."

On a completely unrelated and way more fun note, the boob talk is gonna be good! Get ready!

November 21, 2012 @ 4:48 PM

Lynne

Humanism is a progressive philosophy of life that, without supernaturalism, affirms our ability and responsibility to lead ethical lives of personal fulfillment that aspire to the greater good of humanity.

It is tougher to be a humanist. It puts the load right on you (to paraphrase a good verse by the Band).

Can't wait for the boob podcast. I hate mine !!!

November 21, 2012 @ 5:01 PM

Lynne

Can't wait for the boob podcast. I hate mine !!!

November 21, 2012 @ 5:01 PM

Anon&on

Please don't have phone-in guests. Please don't do phone interviews. Please don't.

If you can't get someone to join you in the studio, talk to each other- that seems to be working fine.

I hope someone in the know hears about the parade sponsorship VIP seating thing and responds. That was an interesting bit.

November 21, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

@Anon&on

I'm against phone in guest as well, so that's probably never going to happen. If I have a guest, I have to be sincerely interested in the guest and I have to have them at the table with us. As you know, I turned down Gerard Kennedy b/c he failed to qualify on both counts.

The exceptions will be:

1. Eddie Vedder
2. Nelson Mandela
3. Neil Young
4. Chuck D
5. Steve Nash

November 21, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

Blind Dave

Great show! Well worth the hour plus. And Mike, I did listen earlier, but it was a hectic day so this is my first chance to respond.

I also agree about NO phone in guest. Please stick to your guns and don't do this. Your studio podcast works great just the way it is now.

I'd have to say I have a non-committal belief in a higher power. My wife believes in God, and says her prayers, but she is completely against organized religion. We both believe, that in the long run, it's how you treat other people that counts the most.

Don't like the word "boobs", but I do like "breasts" and "tits". That should be a fun conversation.

It's also soon episode 17. So what is YOUR favourite Wendel Clark moment? Or Bruce Boudreau? Or Brian Conacher? Naw, Mike will go with Wendel.

Oh yes, and I've always heard "gif" in my head with a hard g. That doesn't make sense, I know.

November 21, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

Argie

Mike,

You wouldn't have Justin on?

November 22, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

@Argie

In studio, yes. On the phone, nah...

November 22, 2012 @ 9:27 AM

Fake Cheryl

Boobs are stupid. Everyone should like navels. Navels are more scandalous and more erotic. Navels are the best.

November 22, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

Banger

Ok... caught up. Love this episode the most, but all 16 have been pretty solid.

November 22, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

Matt

Thanks for the shout out! I'm 23 though lol.

When I work days I'll stop by Tims on the way into work. I try and make a mental note of where I'd be in line if I stayed in my car. Most of the time the two times (going inside vs drive thru) are very similar. Going inside is usually slightly quicker.

Sucks to hear the parade is becoming commercialized as well. Like you guys said, the Santa Claus parade is for the kids.

I still can't believe you have to pay to meet Santa now too. Is it just a Sherway Gardens thing or, are all malls doing it?

November 23, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

Lorne

Good episode. A bit mixed on if it should have been two episodes or not. It did feel long.

Can you bump up the sound level on the songs/clips a bit when you're not talking? The Simpsons clip did fade into the background a bit. I'll blame it on Rogers. Stupid Rogers.

I love OLP. I've listen to Spiritual Machines start to finish hundreds of times. That's their concept album based off Kurzweil's book of the same name. Maybe it's just the scifi geek in me, but an entire album about the rise of thinking robots is just cool. I really wanted to see their concert last year where they played the entire album, but couldn't get tickets. Boo.

Listen to "In Repair". Its about the relationship between a human and a machine-- except no matter how many times I listen, I still can't decide which one the narrator is. Love it.

November 23, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

Dwano

Just wanted to say that I have been enjoying the podcasts. I am sorry I did not introduce myself at the H+F party. My lovely wife Emily and I had a fantastic time and your bit was great.
I think we have the same taste in music. I immediately recognized Chalk Circle and am a big fan of the Lowest of the Low. I think it would be fun to play you on SongPop.
All the best to you and Rosie.

November 29, 2012 @ 9:58 AM

@ Dwano

I'm tormike on song pop. Bring it on!

And at the next H+F thing, be sure to say hi.

November 29, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

Willy Nilly

@ Fake Cheryl,

Good stuff!!! Keep it coming. Much more refreshing than, dare I say, the real THING!

December 13, 2012 @ 7:20 PM