Seeing Neil Young: Better Late Than Never

musicEntering 2012, there were three acts on my "must see live" wishlist: Public Enemy, Neil Young and Nirvana.

I caught Public Enemy at an absolutely amazing show in September, and tonight I'll see Neil Young at the ACC. I can't wait to see the living legend I've admired forever live.

"Living" is the key word there, because I'll never see Nirvana. That one isn't happening.

neil

What bands are on your must-see-live list?

Sam in Pickering

Good timing, because I was thinking the other day I should see Bob Dylan while he's still alive and kicking and then I read reviews of his show and nobody could tell what song he was playing.

So I no longer want to see Dylan live, but I'm hoping Pete Seeger comes to town one last time.

November 19, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

Argie

I put Neil Young in that exclusive category that is for artists who are great songwriters but should not be allowed near a microphone. Dylan is the king of this category with the annoying Bruce Springsteen as his right side.

Here's a tip to these guys: Just because they're YOUR songs, doesn't mean you have to sing them.

November 19, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

@Argie

Obviously it's subjective, but I love Neil's voice. It's raw and real and I'd rather hear him sing his songs than anyone else. But like I said, it's so subjective.

Some people can't stand the sound of Geddy Lee's voice while some people love it. The different voices are alienating.

As a young teen I picked up Decade and couldn't believe my ears. He still believe him to be the greatest living songwriter: http://www.torontomike.com/2007/01/long_may_you_run.html

November 19, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

Roshan

Neil Young - long may you rock. I wish I could see him perform live someday too.

November 19, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

Roshan

November 19, 2012 @ 10:59 AM

And I've been reading a lot about this tour and I don't expect to hear any Neil Young classics. This isn't about me hearing him sing Helpless or Down By The River. This is about seeing him while I can.

So if he wants to do a 20 minute jam in the middle of something new off of Psychedelic Pill, I'll be ready.

This is a Crazy Horse tour.

November 19, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

Ryan G

I haven't imposed such a rule onto myself, but if I could see any band alive or dead, it would probably be The Doors.

November 19, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

@Ryan G

Rosie and I actually had this discussion in Episode 2 of Toronto Mike'd: http://www.torontomike.com/2012/09/toronto_miked_podcast_episode.html

Maybe in these comments we should limit the acts to the living. The Doors with Morrison has as much a chance of happening as Nirvana.

I've never seen Soundgarden. I'd like to see them.

November 19, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

519 Rob

As far as artists where it is still possible, my first choice would be Bowie.
Unfortunatly most reports seem to indicate he is pretty much retired.
Otherwise, Neil Young is next on my list.

By the way - what THE HELL is wrong with Geddy's voice! (I kid, I kid...I know, with Geddy, you either like it, or you don't. Not going to change too many minds.)

November 19, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

@519 Rob

With Geddy, I like it and my brother's don't.

As for Neil, I love his voice even more:

November 19, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

519 Rob

The problem with todays music (I'm about to sound like a crusty old man here), is it so over-produced. Artists like Neil, Bob Dylan, and Bruce, and Geddy would never make it, because their voices are too raw, too unique.
Could you imagine someone like Neil walking into American Idol or Xfactor? He'd never make it 5 seconds before he'd get thrown out, and then mocked behind his back.
Sadly, we live in a music era where most 'pop' music is so modified (hello auto-tune) that everyone is starting to sound the same.
Vanilla, all around.

November 19, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

And for those looking for setlist times tonight:

Doors: 6:30 p.m.
The Sadies: 7:30 p.m. - 7:50 p.m.
Los Lobos: 8:05 p.m. - 8:40 p.m.
Neil Young and Crazy Horse: 9:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.

November 19, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

NIgel Trousershrapnel

Saw Neil Young at the Gardens. Rust Never Sleeps tour. Very cool. Best live band I've ever seen was the Tubes. Great musicians, having a shitload of fun and not taking themselves to seriously

November 19, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

Rosie

After we recorded that podcast, that was the topic I kept thinking about and later all these acts came into my head that I wished I could have seen live. The Doors was number one. Also would have loved to have seen Janis Joplin perform, INXS with Michael Hutchence, Amy Winehouse and Michael Jackson way back in the day.
My brother was at that Dylan performance and was pretty disappointed, especially since he was with me at his concert at the Amphitheatre about ten years ago that was really remarkable. Must have just got lucky that time as from what I read, most of his concerts are unintelligible.

November 19, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

Ryan G

At the risk of sounding four hundred years old, I give you my modest list of (major act) shows I've attended, with ranking:

James - 5/5
The Cure - 2/5
Echo and The Bunnymen - 3/5
Massive Attack - 3/5 (would've been better but venue was awful)
The The - 4/5
Love and Rockets 4/5
The Spoons - 3/5
The Smiths - 5/5

and yes...sad to say but...

Gowan* - 3/5

*i should really give Larry an extra point for the adventure factor since I actually got arrested by the cops for public/underage drinking at the old ontario place forum

*Gowan played Strange Animal twice. TWICE!

November 19, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

@Ryan G

I have never, ever been to a show where the artist played the same song twice.

That's amazing.

November 19, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

dale

It's TOO BAD he's not playing his classics.
Reading reviews with Crazy Horse - Time to shut it down even though he is a enigma for Canada & the best that ever WAS.

November 19, 2012 @ 5:48 PM

Lonzi

What city is the Neil Young shrine and store located?

November 20, 2012 @ 6:19 AM

Gump

Nothing beats getting let out by my parents in front of Massey Hall, drinking a huge amount of Wink and seeing Devo in '82 at the peak of their "Working in a Coalmine" era!
Mongoloid was also awesome.

November 20, 2012 @ 7:44 AM

Headsup

@Gump
Haha - I forgot all about Wink!

If I had a time machine, I would want to see Jimi Hendrix live.
Today, I would either want to see Mumford and Sons or Greenday. I have heard that both groups put on pretty great shows.

November 20, 2012 @ 7:52 AM

SET LIST:
O Canada
Love and Only Love
Powderfinger
Born in Ontario
Walk Like a Giant
The Needle and the Damage Done
Twisted Road
Singer Without a Song
Ramada Inn
Cinnamon Girl
Fuckin’ Up
Mr. Soul
Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)
ENCORE:
Helpless

Wow... I arrived at the concert with socks on, I'm sure. But they were totally blown off.

Almost 2.5 hours of Neil rockin' out like a man 1/3 his age. I'll say more on episode 16 of Toronto Mike'd, but needless to say it was an amazing time and the man is a legend. Wow.

November 20, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

Debbie

Neil was on my bucket list to see live and it was an amazing night! Loved it! ♥ Also on the list is The Who, (we will go to Hamilton in Feb. for that. Too close to Neil's concert in TO.)
Also want to see the Stones, but, not sure they would be affordable.

November 20, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

Roshan

What bands are on your must-see-live list?

Rush