iPhone 5 vs. Samsung Galaxy S3

iPhone 5 vs. Samsung Galaxy S3I mentioned Virgin Mobile lent me a Samsung Galaxy S3 (or is it Galaxy SIII?) and I've enjoyed my time with it. The 4G LTE speed is sweet, and Android 4.0 is incredible. I sincerely hope Virgin Mobile lets me keep this device, or conveniently forgets they sent it to me in the first place. Either option works for me.

Speaking of what works for me, this mobile platform does it for me, but my friends with the iPhone 5 seem just as happy, willing to give up a little display size for their OS of choice. I've done a ton of Googling, and the review sites seem split. Some prefer the Apple iPhone 5, others prefer the Samsung Galaxy S3, but all agree both phones are best-in-class.

phones

So my question for you all is this: if you had to use a mobile device, and you had to choose between the Samsung Galaxy S3 or iPhone 5, and both were free, which one would you choose? And yes, you have to choose one and only one!

Gary

Galaxy S3. No reason except I have one now and its amazing!

November 1, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

Kim

Ohhhh, I like this game!

iPhone 5 for me. I love Apple. :-)

November 1, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

Kim

Me again. Wanted to leave this.

.-.:|.-.
.' '' '.
; ;
: :
: :
: :
: ;
'. :
'-_.._-'

November 1, 2012 @ 4:56 PM

Kim

Hey! What happened to my apple!

I'm still picking the iPhone 5. Sorry Gary!

November 1, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

Mark Carey

I just received my factory unlocked iPhone 5 a few days ago and it really is a gorgeous device. Screen is fantastic and is super fast. So far so good.

(Disclosure: This my first smartphone ever, though I have used IPod Touches for several years. Never used an SIII or other Samsung phone -- though I do have friend who has a ridiculously huge phone that reminds me of George Costanza's wallet).

Ps. Sadly, my iPhone 5 was not free ;(

November 1, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

Sammi

Samsung. Apple doesn't come close.

November 1, 2012 @ 5:31 PM

Blind Dave

Given my vision, I'd have to take the one with the bigger screen if the quality is comparable. I also like to customize, add, delete, and generally muck about with things, so the easier to root, the better! I can't stand seeing apps and icons that I'll never use.

You've got a gem there, Mike. Here's hoping they forget about you!

November 1, 2012 @ 5:35 PM

Blind Dave

While we're on the subject, does anyone know of a good cell signal booster that doesn't cost several hundred dollars?

My office area has very poor reception and we get a lot of dropped calls. It's getting a bit nippy to always have to go outside.

November 1, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

elvis

Hahaha, you said nippy.

November 1, 2012 @ 5:49 PM

McNulty

iPhone 5.

Nothing else to say.

November 1, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

Rob

iPhone 5. quality of phone, less plastic

That is all....

November 1, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

Pete McPhedran

iPhone 5, even if I had to pay for the iPhone and the 'droid was free.

I am a 3rd generation iPhone user after being a loyal BlackBerry guy since the mid '90s, that's right, I said mid '90's.

I have an android tablet and I find it is incredibly user unfriendly. I would hate to go through the same obstacles with my phone.

I don't unlock my phone as I really do not need to. I have unlocked phones for others, but I rely on the device too much day in and day out to risk anything for the sake of a free app or an app that isn't available on iTunes because the author has an issue with Apple, etc...

Of course, I have a Ouya coming as soon as they are built and that runs android, but that's a whole other game!

--Pete

November 1, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

MrFascination

I have an Iphone.. My wife has a galaxy...

I prefer the Iphone...

My wife wants my Iphone....

Enough Said!

November 1, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

Rob de

iPhone, Like the way iCloud updates my Calandar, Contacts and Notes on my MacBook and iPad.

November 1, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Samsung Galaxy S3 review

Samsung Galaxy S III will offer the latest 4.0 Android Ice Cream Sandwich operating system, 1.4 GHz quad-core processor, 8 MP camera, big 4.8 inches of Super AMOLED HD Display, HDMI adapter and a flip cover, a wireless charger gadget.

November 2, 2012 @ 4:08 AM

Ben Vidal

Hands down the Galaxy SIII. The minute you sit it down beside an Iphone 5 you realize which is a superior phone. Especially when you look at download speeds, maps, customization of the Ice Cream sandwich platform and ease of use.

November 2, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

Douglas

Samsung. I drank the Apple kool-aid back in the 80s, no regrets. The bottom line for me is that the Samsung is reported to be the better phone, which is ultimately what I need the device to be. Samsung also does not require proprietary hardware, a big strike against any devide, to me, these days. I've written here before that I have a gadget freak friend who own many Rogers stores. He can have and use whatever he wants, and gives the main entries from the major mobile phone manufacturers a thorough going over and field test in personal and business use. He's had the Galaxy S3 on his belt for months now, and stayed with it after his personal test of the iPhone5. "The iPhone is a better toy. If you have a Mac at home, by all means, go with the iPhone," and "The Samsung is a better phone and overall device." I trust and value his opinion/advice. My next phone with be the S3.

November 2, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

Peticoat Junction

A couple of quarters in my pocket for a pay phone works for me.

November 2, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

Irvine

@Peticoat Junction

The problem is there are very few pay phones left anymore. Most have been removed.

On top of that, many payphones have a court order to monitor all calls the line. Street level drug dealers use the phones thinking they're anonymous when they call for more product. Not the case. And when I think of pay phone I think of "ewww".

As for product choice, the Samsung products do impress me. I use an iPhone personally and I like it.

But in the past week I've really dug into the Windows 8 platform. I am impressed to say the least. I can't speak for the hardware used on Win 8 phones, but the OS is kick ass. I can really see where this will take us in a few years.

November 2, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

Cheryl

Nothing. I have no mobile device and don't want one. I don't need that junk as you all know. We never needed them before so we don't need them now.

November 2, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

Irvine

Cheryl. We didnt have modern medicine before so I assume you dont use it either?

November 3, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

Roberta

Having just received my first smart phone - a hand me down Blackberry, if I was going to purchase a new phone, I would go with the Galaxy S3. I do not like getting sucked into the Apple universe. The integration to Google and extra screen real estate would make my decision easy.

November 3, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

Roberta

ps. I will not buy into the Blackberry world either. I do not use their services. I can still use twitter, facebook, email etc without paying extra for Blackberry World.

November 3, 2012 @ 1:59 PM