Canada's New $20 Polymer Bank Note

moneyA year ago, we got sexy new $100 bills made out of a single sheet of plastic polymer. I don't know about you, but I don't come across many $100 bills.

I do, however, see the odd $20 bill making its way into my wallet, so I'm paying more attention to the new $20 bill.

The new bank note features the Vimy Memorial in northern France, the largest monument overseas for Canadian soldiers lost the First World War. No, I don't think it looks like the twin towers. I think it looks exactly like the Vimy Memorial.

I love this new bill, as it's our job to never forget.

Mississauga Phil

I've seen the $100 and $50 (not often, but i've seen them). Have not come across the new $20 yet.

I do know that a buddy of mine had a 50 melt in his car over the summer...careful people!

November 8, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Careful with the new bills, cause they stick together.

November 8, 2012 @ 4:50 PM

Douglas

I really like our new currency, and not just because the notes are now polymer. I got used to the polymer notes pretty quickly when I went to Australia a few years ago. Their very first polymer note (the $10) was just being introduced when I was there in 1988. The notes are fine. Do they tend to stick together when they're new? Yes, but so do the old ones. (I've worked in the retail banking industry.) Ask the crews who have to service the note counters and dispensers in-branch and automated banking machines.

The Aussies tested those notes in the heat of their desert and the cold of their mountains. You wouldn't leave a banking card visible in the sun in your car, so why would you do that with a banknote? An Aussie mate was visiting here in June. He heard the gripes, and mentioned that the old cotton fibre notes had a tendency to burn when exposed to open flame, but you wouldn't want to do that either, now, would you? I've known people to burn money because they were smoking and not careful. Just like anything else that is a change and new, people love to gripe. Remember the introduction of the loonie and toonie (people said the middles were just falling out? yeah, right)? Bring on the change. That's actually the chorus of a popular Aussie song, coincidentally.

Hopefully the next change to our banknotes and coins will not be to put Mickey Mouse ears (King) Charles on them. Perhaps the monarchs will skip a generation.

November 8, 2012 @ 6:32 PM

Mike from Lowville

Really? Melt? Did you see it? When I first heard the melting myth I thought....who would be stupid enough to put a 100 or 50 dollar bill on the dash of their car? In plain view? The Bank of Canada assures me IF, I'm that stupid and leave my money laying around on the dash of my car it WILL NOT MELT! If it does it will be replaced.

Jason, so do the new old style bills.

November 8, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

Cheryl

Those bills are great. I've seen the 50 and 100, and good the 20 is coming out. They have markins on them that a blind person can feel. Good by paper money.

November 9, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

Lonzi

Ask bank tellers what they think of the new bills. Most hate them. They screw up in the auto money counters.

November 10, 2012 @ 8:45 AM