Who Wants an iPad Mini?

iPad MiniMy Twitter feed was jammed yesterday with news about the new iPad Mini Apple has unveiled. You can think of it as a smaller iPad or a larger iPod Touch. Here's a picture of the new iPad Mini:

ipodmini

The cheapest version will sell for $329. That's a pretty big chunk of change. I don't pray at the Apple alter, but those who do already own an iPhone and iPod. I can't imagine someone who owns an iPhone and iPod would want a device in the middle, but Apple heads are a surprising bunch.

If you don't pray at the Apple alter, you might want an iPad Mini if you can't afford or are unwilling to shell out the bucks needed for an iPad. But at $329 USD, it's not that cheap. I'd go with a Nexus 7 at $199.

Of course, I don't have an interest in any tablet. Heck, the Samsung Galaxy S III Virgin Mobile has lent me is almost that size. I'd stick with that and simplify things.

So tell me, who wants an iPad Mini? And if you want one, please tell me why.

elvis

The iPad Mini would be amazing for my three year old to watch her movies so her Daddy can watch baseball playoffs and COPS. Oh to dream of nirvana.

October 24, 2012 @ 3:26 PM

@elvis

Is COPS still on?

October 24, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

Andrew

Mike,

The question is not if it's still on, the question is, why would you doubt that it's still not on?

Bad boys, bad boys. Whatcha gonna do?

October 24, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

elvis

Thankfully, yes. 25 seasons I believe.

October 24, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

Damn, I remember watching COPS as a teen.

@Andrew, any interest in the iPad Mini?

October 24, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

Alison

I have no interest in Apple products in general, but if I was tempted by the iPad I would go with the full size version.

PS. How did a product with the words mini and pad in the name make it out of the naming stage?

October 24, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

CQ

By Friday, I will instead want a Windows 8 machine. (Actually I really do want a Windows 8 device - just to see what still runs on it and what doesn't.)

October 24, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

@CQ

I have an invite in my inbox to attend a Windows phone event...

October 24, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

Brad

We are going to buy one for our 9 year for Christmas. So much for not spending a whack of money on gifts this year

October 24, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

JP

I've got an Ipad, an Iphone, an Ipod and an IMac.

Am not an apple fan boy, but I do love all those gadgets.

All that said I have no interest in the IPad mini. Why would I need it? Just seems like a not quite as good Ipad.

October 24, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

@Brad

Do we yet know what the $329 USD price will be in Canada?

$349 maybe?

October 24, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

Rosie

iPads are great and I think they are worth every penny. I was sceptical it was worth the cost until I got one. It has more than paid for itself, it literally is in use all day long. And they are amazing tools for kids. I would absolutely recommend buying a mini one if the cost of the larger one is prohibitive. I save money on my cell phone, it's a bit of an older model ;)

October 24, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

@Rosie

Is that a smart phone?

October 24, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

Blind Dave

To best understand Rosie's older model cell phone comment, listen to the last podcast. Absolutely hilarious.

October 24, 2012 @ 4:00 PM

@Blind Dave

Yes, episode 8.

Episode 9 should be online later today....

October 24, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

Rosie

@TO Mike you tell me!
@Blind Dave also online later today should be Mike's official retraction regarding the level of my phone's smartness :)

October 24, 2012 @ 4:10 PM

Argie

I would love an Ipad Mini because my life is so empty and meaningless I require an over priced inanimate object to complete it (or at least make it a wee bit interesting). I crave the latest "coolest" thing because I only value material objects.

So yes, I will line up with other clueless, clone-like 20 somethings in hopes of making my miserable life, less miserable.

Sincerely,

Ryan (because every other 20 something is named 'Ryan')
Apple Lover

October 24, 2012 @ 4:12 PM

@Rosie

When recording episode 8, it was elvis who looked at your phone. You might remember taking the battery out for him. He declared it unsmart.

Upon further review, it's running Android, which makes it smart, but the comic sans font and small screen easily deceive.

October 24, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

CQ

@TO Mike (15:49)
Ha. I'm not even invited to celebrate Scuzz's birthday for next week. That's an Microsoft Bob reference, btw.

October 24, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

elvis

The battery moment still makes me laugh out loud. Priceless.

I can't wait to see the video. When does that get released Mike?

October 24, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

McNulty

I love my iPhone. I have would only get an iPad if it was given to me. And then I would use it as a car travel toy for my son.

But I'm not angry at the world because some people spend their money on gadgets. I don't get why the fake Ryans of the world seem upset that something that has no effect on them happens. So what if people line up to buy it? It's a waste of my time but who am I to judge their use of time?

October 24, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

Stephanie

I have pre-ordered the Surface but it (and Windows 8) will have a very similar feel to it as my Windows Phone so I am very excited to see how it will work. I have a first generation iPad which is great for travelling but since I don't, as Mike puts it, pray at the Apple Altar, I've never really used it the way the app makers would like me to.

October 24, 2012 @ 5:48 PM

Rosie

@elvis I don't take my phone apart for just anyone you know!

@McNulty This is how I feel as well. Let people do what they want, they aren't hurting anybody. Besides, I do think this is technology is worth getting excited about. Check out this 60 Minutes segment about how iPads are being used to help autistic children communicate at Toronto's Beverly Street School. It's amazing. They are doing some pretty innovative stuff with apps that was not possible before. http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7385702n

October 24, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

Andrew

@Mike,

Not sure. I have a first gen iPad and I love it for movies and TV shows. My parents use mine all the time when they are here, so I'd have to look at the new mini when it comes out to see if it's large enough for the old seniors to read it!!!

Now, when they come out with a 17" MacBook Pro with Retina and a blu-ray player, maybe I'll bite. I get handed CD's full of music all the time at work so I still need the drive.

And the US and CDN prices are they same... finally!

Cheers,
Andrew

October 24, 2012 @ 7:22 PM

Cheryl

I don't want any of that junk. What do I need it for? It's just another thing to learn about and over $300.00 is a lot for that. No thanks. I have no cellphone because I don't need one. I have Primus for my phone and internet. That's all I need.

October 24, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

Mark H

A smaller iPad was tempting...until they actually released it.

Essentially its guts are two generations old and by the next iOS update you'll start to see features of the new system that aren't going to be available on an essentially 'new' tablet.

My guess is that in 6 months, the mini will be updated to include the retina screen and faster processor and this version was rushed out to take advantage of the Christmas rush.

Buyer beware.

October 25, 2012 @ 6:28 AM

Mike from Lowville

Nope, already too many people walking around with their head down walking into people and things with some device stuck in their hands like they were born with it! I would like to just cuff them in the back of the head! It's getting ridiculous. By the looks of some of the posts on here, kids soon will be popping out of their mom's VG's with one attached to their hands!

October 25, 2012 @ 6:45 AM

Douglas

I'll be able to upgrade from my Mac SE!

October 25, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

SO Not Cheryl

There's nothing in the world I like. Everyone and everything sucks...oh, wait, except for my Habs. Go Habs.

Too bad I don't have any manners. If I did, I'd recognize that Mike is a good guy for offering free shit to his good readership.

And, you have to know that Grocery Gateway wins the suck award for the week.

F**k all of you.

October 26, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

Roshan

When I was younger I really like Padmini Kholapuri who was an Indian actress.

October 29, 2012 @ 12:05 PM