Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 7: Fire in the Hole

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 7Here's the 7th episode of my podcast, Toronto Mike'd. In this episode, we chat about flu shots, SongPop, Len and have an interesting discussion with elvis. This episode is exactly 36:21.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

As always, I'm eager to read your feedback, good or bad. Please let me know in the comments what you thought and any topic ideas you have.

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at https://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Sivle

I hate elvis a little less after hearing that.

Good stuff... kept me interested for 36:21.

October 17, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

@Sivle

Elvis was a hero to most but he never meant shit to me.

October 17, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

Lyle Lanley

I really enjoy your podcast, Mike. This is another winner!

And elvis, I'm glad you've recovered and are doing better.

October 17, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

Blind Dave

Got through the first bit but had to head off to work. Elvis (capital, as it's the beginning of a sentence) has just made his entrance. I'll catch the rest sometime this evening.

I don't get a flu shot, nor do my wife or kids. My mom, who is 89, usually does.

October 17, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

Mike Kic

Where was my shout out?

October 17, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

@Mike Kic

When something special drops out of Jordy, you'll get your shout out...

October 17, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

Declan

"something special drops out of Jordy".

I'm afraid to ask... but it sounds like he/she should see a doctor.

October 17, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

@Blind Dave

To borrow something I wrote here in 2003...

If you could avoid getting the flu, wouldn't you? Getting a flu vaccination makes good sense, right? You'd be surprised at the conspiracy theories I heard when talking with coworkers. Some think it's a cash-grab for the pharmaceutical industry. Others think it will leave them defenseless when the "super flu" arrives. Some even think the contents of the vaccination aren't to be trusted and that it could cause the flu or even worse. Someone even claimed their friend told her it contained radiator coolant. I've heard it all.

If you believe in such conspiracies, then you believe that every single medical doctor in the country is in on the deal. I challenge you to find one doctor who will tell you the flu vaccination is a bad idea. You won't because it isn't. Get a damn flu shot. This isn't The X Files.

October 17, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

Argie

Hey elvis,

Please explain how someone lets themselves go to 300 lbs? Just curious.

October 17, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

elvis

A shitty inactive thyroid.

October 17, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

Matt

The flu shot is so overrated. I work outdoors year round and I don't get it. Let your body (immune system) do it's work.

Vaccines are fine. They are for a SPECIFIC disease. The "FLU" shot is to general for my liking.

What I want to know is how do these medical professionals know which flu will be out this year?

October 17, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

@Matt

At any time, there are several active flu strains in the world. Every year, scientists re-evaluate the three strains of flu virus in our flu vaccine and, if necessary, change the vaccine recipe.

Some years it's more accurate than others. The flu virus keeps mutating, making it fun for scientists. But as I said in the podcast, it's the best show in town, and although not perfect, far better than forgoing the flu vaccine altogether.

October 17, 2012 @ 1:50 PM

Argie

Mike,

You're outnumbered. Now you know what it feels like.

October 17, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

@Argie

I always welcome your alternative points of view... and I'm okay with disagreement.

On this issue, it seems I'm outnumbered. Still, I passionately believe in flu vaccinations as something good citizens should get each and every year.

October 17, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

Fake Cheryl

I will never get a flu shot. I don't want to put that stuff in my body and I don't want to get a dumb needle. I'll just stick with my Echinacea. It is the best.

October 17, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

On the podcast:

Rosie, Elvis and Me

October 17, 2012 @ 4:18 PM

Irvine

Im on the podcast next week.

October 17, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

Elvis will appear on episode 8, then the Momfessional appears on episode 9.

Irvine is not currently booked for an appearance, although if he was in Toronto, he'd be a welcome guest.

October 17, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

Irvine

If I go on i want Argie and Dave Williams there. And Corey.

October 17, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

Anon&on

Excellent. I must say, the Wixson on Toronto Mike podcast seems kinder/gentler than the H&F Wixson.

For the Norm Ullman episode, I plan on listening while enjoying some Dubbel Zout and a Brio.

October 17, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Fire in the hole if you had Irvine, Argie etc. on your show. You would probably need some security for this presentation LOL. Will listen tomorrow on my drive from Timmins to North Bay.

October 17, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

519 Rob

WOW...
What a story. Hope everything goes well Elvis. Very inspirational.

October 17, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

Lorne

I was going to post flu shot info, but Mike's got it mostly covered.

I'll try to avoiding arguing on the Internet, but here's a madlib for thought:

"I don't do [safety thing] and haven't [bad thing safety thing prevents] yet, so [safety thing] obviously isn't worth using."

Try it with flu shot. Then seat belts. Have fun with it.

I do have to say @Rosie: The flu shot isn't just for your little guy. It's for all his friends and classmates who can't get the flu shot, or for whom the flu shot doesn't work. And for their family. And their family's friends and coworkers. An so on.

October 17, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

Rosie

I got the flu shot for over a decade while I was working outside the home. I was unfortunate enough to be pregnant during the H1N1 madness in fall 2009 and had to make a very difficult decision whether to get the vaccine. I read every research document available to me to try to make the best decision and just typing the words adjuvanted and non-adjuvanted makes me shudder. Doctors terrified me about H1N1; I had obstetricians telling me that should I contract it during my third trimester, I could die. It was terrifying. I got the vaccine. I was told that getting the flu vaccine in addition to the H1N1 vaccine was optional, because the chances of me contracting those particular strains were extremely slim. I was given the H1N1 vaccine before it was available to the general public because I was pregnant, and I will never forget the room full of crying pregnant women getting the vaccine because they did not know whether they were doing the right thing or not. It was very frightening, the media made it worse and no doctor could with real confidence reassure me about my decision. To be told repeatedly by health professionals "whatever risk posed by the vaccine to your unborn baby is likely to be smaller than the risk of severe illness or death by H1N1 to both of you" is not really what you want to hear when you are six months pregnant. All that to say, I'm off seasonal flu vaccines for awhile. Nothing is forever. But right now, this is how I feel.

There was an interesting Full Comment in yesterday's National Post titled "The seasonal flu shot and the public health damage done." Here is the link, http://natpo.st/PbeafE and here is a quote:

"A new report based on an exhaustive three-year investigation has concluded that the seasonal flu vaccine is a great deal less effective than it’s been portrayed (it’s only 50%-60% effective in healthy people, rather than the common public health boast of 70%-90% effectiveness), and that vaccinating children does not seem to protect the vulnerable elderly population from flu, as is often claimed."

The article goes on to explain that a lot of PR damage has been done because there has been such a push for flu vaccines that actually were NOT supported by science:

"By basing massive public health pushes for universal seasonal flu vaccination on beliefs that weren’t actually backed up by science — and supporting those pushes with exaggerated and inaccurate claims — Western governments have handed the paranoid anti-vaccine movement more ammunition for questioning vaccination in general. That’s dangerous because, while we can afford to have chunks of the population swear off a flu vaccine, we really can’t afford to have deadly scourges like measles and whooping cough make a comeback simply because patients don’t trust the public health establishment’s word."

When my little guy is school-age, I will consider getting him the flu shot. I don't know yet. He has all his immunizations that are required for him to attend preschool. The only one we skipped was the Rota vaccine.

I found the research in that article very interesting. What a divisive topic this is! It won't nearly be as interesting when we talk about religion will it!

@Anon&on So YOU are the one buying that crazy licorice and drinking that vile beverage! You are spreading Vegemite on toast at this moment, aren't you? :)

October 18, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

Elba

What is a "Momfessional"?

October 18, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

Irvine

The flu shot is just another division of "Big Pharma". It works like this.

Certain folks in the medical profession declare that the "flu" is dangerous and kill people. They point to examples in the past (long before good nutrition and modern medicine existed) as examples. Remember all those people that died in 1918 from the Spanish Flu. No mention is made of the millions of soldiers in close confinement living in dysentary

FFWD to today. "Big Pharma" produces the vaccine. This is the same bunch of people that create a drug, market it for 8 seconds on a TV ad (Usually with a woman on a horse in a field) then spend the remaining 22 seconds listing the potential risks. Big Pharma then "copyrights" the medicine and sells it at an exorbitant cost. The same crew lobbies the US government to prohibit legalizing cannabis. It's medically proven that cannabis is effective in dealing with many maladies but you can't copyright a plant.

Big Pharma then sells these drugs to willing buyers (our government) who then advise citizens to get the flu shot. This enables the government to be seen as "giving a shit about our health". Of course the same government has no issue with the sales of cigarettes, junk food & of late the repeated health issues with our food system (think XL foods).

As for the comparison of flu shots to seat belts. Bullshit.

First of all the body has a natural seatbelt. It's known as your immunity system. It has played an effective role in warding off illness since the start of time. It works even better with proper diet and rest.

In a typical year in Canada, more men die from stuff like breast cancer than from the flu.

I believe the flu shot is valuable for those who are at risk. Those with weakened immune systems.

October 18, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

@Elba

I don't believe it's a paid position.

It's a self-appointed title for her blog... she writes about motherhood at www.themomfessional.com .

October 18, 2012 @ 10:30 AM

@Irvine

That's some seriously dangerous thinkin' there.

In fact, it's thinking like that propelling the antivaccine movement and it's a major concern.

Once sufficient numbers of children are left unvaccinated, diseases once thought to be under control will come back. Sadly, the very children who remained unvaccinated because of their parents’ opposition will be the most at risk as herd immunity begins to wane.

October 18, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

Irvine

Mike, polio and the flu are two different things

Shit man if Kurt Cobain was around today they'd have medicated the dude and he'd be writing songs with Miley Cyrus.

October 18, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Great episode, moved very smoothly, and elvis was an excellent guest, a very inspiring story. Cheers to your good health elvis!

October 18, 2012 @ 7:59 PM