Top New Rock Song of All-Time on 102.1 the Edge

Top New Rock Song of All-Time on 102.1 the EdgeThis long weekend, 102.1 the Edge counted down their top new rock songs of all-time. I'm naturally interested in such things, so I was curious what song they'd put at number one. I had my money on Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit.

I was pretty damn surprised when I heard their number one new rock song of all-time was another song on that album. They went with Come As You Are. Nirvana's Nevermind is one of my favourite albums of all-time, and as awesome a single as Come As You Are is, I'm betting most folks wouldn't pick it as the top cut on the album, let alone of all-time. In fact, wouldn't Lithium or In Bloom rank ahead of Come As You Are? And wouldn't we all agree that Smells Like Teen Spirit is the seminal track on Nevermind?

So what we have is a song that might not be one of the top three tracks on the album it appeared on being ranked #1 of all-time. Flabbergasting, ain't it?

For the record, 102.1 the Edge had Smells Like Teen Spirit at #11 and Lithium at #27.

Does anyone have a theory as to how Come As You Are leap-frogged Smells Like Teen Spirit and Lithium to top this list?

McNulty

Because the list is bullshit?

Still Edge free since August 2010.

October 8, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

@McNulty

I hear ya, I listen to about 10% of the Edge I used to listen to, but when I'm in my '99 car that has manual windows and an AM/FM radio for entertainment, it's still the best option out there. Believe it or not...

October 8, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

A few more interesting observations...

The highest ranking Offspring song was The Kids Aren't Alright. Really.

Even more surprising, the highest ranking Green Day song was Brain Stew.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers showed up 7 times. How Soon Is Now? remains MIA.

October 8, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

Matt

Mike,

Why not get xm or sirius? You won't regret it! I've had it for 5 years now. Way better than regular radio.

October 8, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

@Matt

The car has 260,000 kms + on it and I just don't feel like upgrading anything in it.

And now that I work from home I'm in the car less and less. My shower radio is glued to 99.1 and during the day it's mainly podcasts and mp3s.

But I do enjoy Stern... so maybe one day...

October 8, 2012 @ 8:30 PM

elvis

Here's why: the only way people would talk about the station is if they do something you don't expect them to do.

October 8, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

@elvis

Well, mission accomplished!

October 8, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

elvis

And you fell for it!

October 8, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

@elvis

I blame that darn Fearless Fred. He hates me!

October 8, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

Matt

Took a look at the list. Alice In Chains should be number 1 & 2 Rooster and Would are awesome songs. Weezer is way too high for my liking. Never been a fan (Sorry Mike!)

October 8, 2012 @ 8:43 PM

@Matt

That's okay. Weezer has sucked for a while now. But I'll still put in the Blue Album and smile...

And I love Alice in Chains.... no complaints there.

October 8, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

CQ

Thanks for the latest Turkey. It goes swell with Chumfm's May Holiday Weekend's 35 year chart and Q107's Labour Day 500.

October 8, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

Ryan G

@Toronto Mike, re: how soon is now?

Because it was rigged that way.

See, voters had to select from a master list of songs, none or few of which were "classic" alternative. It ignored the bands that bands of today should thank for pioneering an entire genre of music, which as McNulty pointed out, is bullshit.

Oh, i forgot, there was one opportunity for you to enter a single song of your choice entirely, but the overall setup made it difficult to vote for the hundreds of other great songs that should be on that list.

October 9, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

Mississauga Phil

And how many times did 102.1 the band...I mean Billy Tallent..appear or the list. I can think of over 100 songs I'd rather hear before even one of theirs, but I'm willing to bet that they appear on the list no fewer than twice

October 9, 2012 @ 8:22 AM

@Mississauga Phil

Billy Talent's only appearance is at #69 with Try Honesty.

October 9, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

@Ryan G

I know this... in fact, look at what I wrote in 2009:

102.1 The Edge Top 200 Of All Time Countdown Voting Rigged

Elvis is right, I keep falling for the same trick.

October 9, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

Ryan G

If there's anyone reading this who works for Corus or The Edge, I think it's safe to say a lot of us here would love to know the official explanation for the station calling this list the best of all time.

I understand that putting bands like The Smiths into regular rotation would take away from the "edge" factor (ie new music), so the station should simply come up with a new name for the list. They're radio people. They're supposed to be creative.

October 9, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

Willie Wonka

No stairway to Heaven??? what's wrong with them

October 9, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

J9

I blame the younger generation.

October 9, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

Irvine

Try to remember that the "true" CFNY ala Spirit of Radio was done and gone by 1988. That was the station that championed alternative & punk of the area. CFNY was also the station that championed the rave & club music of that era, which is arguably as important as playing the Smiths (and perhaps moreso in this beat music era). It was Sheppard and Deadly Headly that were spinning S'Express, Bomb da Bass, Guy called Gerald and Public Enemy long before anyone else. The station returned as a musical force in 1990 but by 92 was fading away. It never returned. By '94 the station was like every other alternative rock station & played the same music.

Personally I don't get this whole love in you have with 102.1 Mike. The world is awash in amazing radio. This is the golden era of radio. You fretting (or even caring) about CFNY in 2012 is like living in an area full of world class restaurants, yet having lunch everyday at McDonalds & always ordering a Big Mac.

Truth is Mike, many on this blog are now "old" and do nothing but pine for the past. Some pine for Dean Martin. Some for the Stones. Others for Pearl Jam. There is no difference in the mentality, just in the artists names. Incredibly sad in a world of pretty awesome radio.

In the near future you'll have Indie to listen to. You never seem to mention CBC Radio 2 & it's morning/PM drive. It IS what 102.1 was years ago. Yet I suspect Mike that the format on CBC R2 is simply too diverse and underground for you to 'get it". And..when all is said and done, that tells us that you're closer to 102.1 than even you want to believe.

Perhaps the answer is you don't want to find an option.

October 9, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

Irvine

PS

For all of you still stuck in the 90's & the era of 13 Engines, Pure, Crash Vegas, etc, well I have good news

Listen to 99.3 The Fox out of Vancouver. It's pretty much a 90's alternative rock station with some new stuff.

October 9, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

Anon&on

Heck, we complained when Nirvana and Pearl Jam came along and wrecked 102.1

No Lester The Lobster, no Circular Impression, no Toast, no Bela Lugosi's Dead?

October 10, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

@Anon&on

I recall Circular Impression and Toast lingering on a little after Nirvana and Pearl Jam showed up...

October 10, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

Pat

I've said this on other similar entries and I guess it bears repeating- these countdowns are meaningless. Just any given day's playlist "arranged" in a semi-randomized order. It's an easy solution for long weekends to get people to listen and the order of the songs doesn't mean a thing. If you don't like the #1 song this time around, I think the next time this countdown is coming along will be Family Day next February. See y'all then!

October 18, 2012 @ 10:19 PM