The Steve Nash Dilemma

The Steve Nash DilemmaSteve Nash is far and away the greatest basketball player this country has ever produced. This is Nash country, so we all want Steve Nash to win an NBA title, right?

That was a slam dunk when he was with the Suns and Mavs, but Steve Nash is now a Laker. That's a tougher pill to swallow. To root for Steve Nash is to root for the LA Lakers. Yuck.

This is the Steve Nash Dilemma we're all faced with now. We have to hold our noses and root for another Lakers NBA championship. The man is greater than the sum of his parts.

elvis

No dilemma for me. Go Lakers!

October 31, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

CortneyA

No dilemma for me! Although I don't know much about basketball and really just pick up pieces of info here and there from my boyfriend, when I saw that the Lakers lost last night I thought "Ha, that's what you get for not coming to the Raptors."

October 31, 2012 @ 10:17 AM

Mississauga Phil

Not a big baskeball fan, but there would be no dilema either way.

Just cause he's canadian doesn't mean I have to automatically cheer for him...we wanted him in Toronto. From what I understand, he would have been handed the keys to the kingdom after retirement. The fact that he turned us down to go to LA makes me more likely to cheer against him.

It's akin to another Nash that I would have loved to see here...Rick Nash. Rick, much like Steve chose to go to a US city, instead of comming home as a hero. Both men would have been treated like rock stars in this city, and if either had managed to contribute to a champoinship, there would have been statues erected of them on Bay Street.

For me, Steve's betrayal is worse than Ricks. As a memeber of Basketball Canada, Steve knows better than most what a star of his calibre would have meant, not only to Toronto, but to Canada as a whole. Him comming to T.O. would have legitimized the Raptors as a team being built into a contender, instead of just another stop on other teams schedules.

Go anyone BUT the Lakers.

October 31, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

@Mississauga Phil

He chose LA over Toronto b/c he's a old man and he'd have zero chance at an NBA title here. LA has a great chance, especially with Howard there.

You can't blame him for that. It's different than Rick who is a younger man choosing a team with no chance at a Stanley Cup.

And Steve Nash, in his younger years, gave everything to this country and our national basketball program. He carried us for years.

I'm not suggesting we root for Steve Nash to win a title b/c he's Canadian, but because he's Steve Nash, the greatest Canadian b-baller ever.

October 31, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

Irvine

His fitness centres in Van are pretty awesome too. Perfect place for TM to work on those pecs. You'll have Rosie flowing like a faucet

October 31, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

@Irvine

So swimming alone isn't enough? I now swim 5 days a week.

October 31, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Mike - He played for Canada when he was a no one comming up the ranks of the NBA, when he hit "superstar" status, there were nothing but crickets out of his camp at Olympic Time.

I'm not saying that people who do cheer for him are idiots, or un-patriotic, I'm just saying you'll never catch me wearing a Nash Jersey, or cheering for the Lakers.

On a similar note, i find it funny that Matt Bonner (played in TO, married a Canadian Girl, has a Canadian grandfather) wants his citizenship so that he can play for us at the Olympics and he keeps getting shot down, but the Canadian Olympic Commitee put pressue of immigration to fasttrack the citizenship of a chinese ping pong, sorry, TABLE TENNIS, player so that he cold play at the Olympics...what up with that??

October 31, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

@Mississauga Phil

No Lakers jersey for me, either, but I want Steve Nash to win a title. I just do.

And he gave his all for Team Canada through 2004 Olympic qualification. He was in his 30s by then.

Not sure about the Bonner situation... must be more than meets the eye there.

And really, you're avoiding the issue here. Will swimming alone increase my upper body strength?

October 31, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

Misissauga Phil

@ Mike - Very sorry to skirt the issue.

Yes swimming will increase your upper body strength, there is resistance involved. However, I'd reccomend throwing at least 3 days a week of some light weight training as well (arm curls, bench press, maybe some fly's for your triceps). Swimming is a greal all around exercise since you get good cardio as well as resistance, but if you want to build your core, you should add some weight lifting in as well....

....or I could be completely wrong, I was talking out of my ass there.... :)

October 31, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

@Mississauga Phil

I suspect you're right, but as a guy who has never lifted weights, I have no idea where to start.

I do enjoy the swimming, though. In fact, it's time for 50 laps right now.

October 31, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

elvis

@Mississauga Phil - I don't doubt the genuine nature of Bonner's desire to play for Canada (I've heard him interviewed many times and he does love the country) but I suspect he wouldn't be wanting to play for Canada if he was good enough to play for the USA. This isn't a Brett Hull situation...this is more like the Canadians playing hockey for Team Italia.

October 31, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

Irvine

Mike. You look like an ectomorph more than a meso or endo. It likely means building muscle mass would take some work.

Push ups work fine as does incline, flat and decline bench press. One great tool is kettle balls which can be used for a huge variety of exercises. For good tone u do NOT need a lot of equipment.

Yoga is grt too. Hot yoga is my preference.

If u want size u will need to press. Remember tht every pound of muscle mass u gain burns 84 calories a day. 10 pounds is 840 calories

October 31, 2012 @ 5:49 PM

Cheryl

Well, so Nash left my Suns and went to the Lakers. Too bad. I am a Suns fan. I am always going to cheer for my beloved Suns. I will not cheer for the Lakers. I always hated the lakers. As for lifting weights, my trainer does that with me a couple times a week. I need him. Workouts are boring doing them on my own even though it would be cheaper. It's expensive to have a personal trainer, but it's worth it.

October 31, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

Gary

Who cares! All sports is evolving (or devolving) to greed only anyway. It isn't sports anymore.

November 1, 2012 @ 7:44 AM

Argie

Phil,

You may want to reconsider your opinion - I agree with you 100%!

Nash is great, no doubt about that but there's no way in hell I would cheer for the Lakers and its not just because of him. Kobe and Howard are considered the biggest jerks in the league.

And no, Irv its not because of the colour of their skin - I was a big Magic Johnson fan.

November 1, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

@Argie

This is why it's such a dilemma. I don't want to root for the Lakers either, but I do want Nash to win a title...

Argh.

November 1, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Argie - we've agreed before, so this is not a ground breaking moment. I've been on the same side as you on arguments in the past. The cheif problem I have is your tendency to blame an entire group of people for the actions of a few...

@ Mike - That is where you and I differ, I dont want to root for the Lakers, but neither do I want to cheer for Nash...loved that he was held to 7 points in his first game.

November 1, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

Cheryl

Well, maybe my Suns would have won the home opener if they had Nash. Oh well, too bad he's not with my Suns anymore. I hate the lakers.

November 2, 2012 @ 4:49 PM