The Oldest Building in Toronto

The Oldest Building in TorontoThis handy Wikipedia list tells me the oldest buildings and structures in Toronto. After our discussion yesterday about the Mirvish - Geehry condo project, I clicked over to learn about the oldest building in Toronto.

It's The Scadding Cabin, found on the western grounds of the CNE. It was built by the Queen's York Rangers in 1794 on behalf of John Scadding, who served as clerk (essentially, an executive assistant) to the first lieutenant governor of Upper Canada, John Graves Simcoe.

scadding-cabin

Rumour has it they're going to tear down The Scadding Cabin for a new condo tower... but don't quote me on that.

MrFascination

They Would Never Be Allowed To Tear It Down... Historic Site... Move It Or Build Around Is What Will Happen.

October 3, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

Before I see AM640 tweeting it, I should point out I've never heard a rumour they're going to tear down The Scadding Cabin for condos... they wouldn't dare, would they? :)

October 3, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

Mississauga Phil

Hey Mike I'm confused.

Your post says you've heard a rumour they're tearing it down to build condo's, but in your comment you say you haven't heard a rumour.....which is it?

October 3, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

@Mississauga Phil

I thought that "rumour has it they're tearing it down to build a condo tower" was an obvious joke considering all the chatter about the Princess of Wales Theatre talk. There's no such rumour.

Sorry if the joke was too subtle...

October 3, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

CQ

Here's a High Park area heritage item also listed in Wikipedia (The Junction):

The site of the Carlton Race Course which was owned by the Keele family (William Conway Keele and his son Charles Keele). The track was the site of the first Queen's Plate. Following the arrival of the railways in the 1880s, the old racetrack and surrounding area was developed by Daniel Webster Clendenan. The approximate locations of the two main straightaways of the track are now High Park Avenue and Pacific Avenue (between Glenlake Road and Annette Street).

I wondered when I hadn't seen that many places around here included in the list. Ditto for the 1909 Sherway Bridge - between the QEW and Queensway at Etobicoke Creek, the Toronto-side road is virtually gone.

October 3, 2012 @ 12:05 PM

519 Rob

If its any help, I got the joke.
I didn't think it was that subtle.

October 3, 2012 @ 12:11 PM