Dalton McGuinty on My Grandmother's 90th Birthday

Dalton McGuinty on My Grandmother's 90th BirthdayThe first mention of Dalton McGuinty on this blog was October 3, 2003. That was the day he was first elected Premier of Ontario, and today is the day he announced his resignation.

Speculation abounds, but as I type we don't yet know exactly why Dalton McGuinty has decided to step down after 9 years as Premier. Feel free to share your speculation in the comments. I think he's giving his party its best chance at winning a fourth election in a row, but I've never hated the man the way some do.

With McGuinty resigning after leading the Liberal Party for 16 years, I thought I'd share the certificate I got for my grandmother on her 90th birthday. If she hangs on for a couple more years, I'll be getting one from the Queen.

For My Grandmother's 90th

Jokeman

McGuinty is stepping down to spend more time being everyone's dad.

October 15, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

dale

My Grandmother lived for 102 years & did have a personal certification from the Queen, Prime Minister & McGuinty on her 100th. She passed 2 weeks before her 103rd.

October 15, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Federal Liberal leadership campaign building around Ontario premier: sources

Federal Liberal leadership campaign building around Ontario premier: sources
Joan Bryden, The Canadian Press
OTTAWA - Is Dalton McGuinty about to jump from the provincial fat into the federal fire?
With Monday's surprise announcement that he's stepping down as premier of Ontario, McGuinty is suddenly free to run for the federal Liberal leadership if he chooses.
If he does, he'll have a ready-made campaign team all set to go.
For the past month, a draft campaign has been in the works to persuade McGuinty to jump into the federal fray.
Some of his closest campaign advisers have been involved, including brother Brendan McGuinty — who was on hand for McGuinty's news conference Monday — and Don Guy, campaign director for each of McGuinty's three winning provincial campaigns.
Deputy chief of staff Dave Gene, former chief of staff Chris Morley and former operations director Charlie Angelakos are also part of the group.
Sources say a leadership campaign road map has already been sketched out.
"The core nucleus of the team that he's been able to build around him, that took him through three election campaigns, is a proven team ... It would be a ready-made team that would be able to focus on this (leadership) as well," said one insider close to McGuinty.
McGuinty has not yet decided whether to take the plunge, those close to him insist, but he is feeling the pressure.
"I don't think he's changed his mind yet," said one close associate. "But I can tell you that some of this is getting to him."
For his part, McGuinty is leaving the door wide open.
"I'm not making any plans whatsoever beyond my tour of duty here at Queen's Park," he said when asked whether he intends to seek the federal job.
Pressed repeatedly to rule out a bid, McGuinty laughed awkwardly and refused to elaborate: "All I said is I'm not making any plans."
McGuinty said he intends to remain premier until a successor is chosen. That could take some time, although the party could expedite the process to ensure maximum stability for the minority Liberal government.
If he's interested in making the leap to the federal arena, he has until Jan. 14 to register as a leadership contender. However, it's unlikely he'd want to wait that long.
The draft movement has been fuelled by a sense of urgency that the race needs a heavyweight contender to challenge presumed front-runner Justin Trudeau, eldest son of former prime minister and Liberal icon Pierre Trudeau.
McGuinty's supporters insist the draft movement isn't aimed at stopping the Trudeau juggernaut so much as ensuring that there is a real, competitive, vigorous race that tests the mettle of the eventual winner, whomever that turns out to be.
"I think there is a strong recognition that the party does need an exciting race with a lot of different candidates in it if we're going to rebuild and move forward," the insider said.
Those involved in the draft campaign insist McGuinty would be a strong contender: a three-time winning premier in the country's largest province, someone with experience fending off the Conservative attack machine, rebuilding a decimated party and grappling with all the major public policy issues.
As one put it, McGuinty's capabilities would be "a good contrast to the way the race is developing right now."
The 40-year-old Trudeau is perceived in some quarters as being long on celebrity but short on depth. He is nevertheless the party's undisputed rock star. His entry into the leadership race last week has vaulted the Liberals ahead of the NDP, according to at least one opinion poll.
Ironically, one of Trudeau's top campaign strategists is Gerald Butts, a former senior adviser to McGuinty.
McGuinty has in the past repeatedly ruled out running for the federal Liberal leadership.
"I want you to know; I love my country but I am committed to my province and my party," he told a provincial Liberal gathering last November, after his brother, Ottawa MP David McGuinty, mused about the premier as a potential federal leadership contender.
Indeed, it has long seemed unlikely that McGuinty would give up being premier of the country's largest province to vie for the leadership of a federal party that was reduced to a humiliating 34 seats and third party status in the 2011 election.
However, those close to McGuinty maintain he wouldn't be put off by the dismal state of the federal Liberals. The provincial Liberals were in a similarly sorry state when McGuinty took the helm 16 years ago, they note.
"There's a lot of analogs between what he started with in 1996 and the federal situation today," another insider said.
"That's not daunting to him."

October 15, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

McGuinty running for Federal Liberal leadership? Hmmmm.... sounds plausible, but I don't think he'll beat Trudeau.

Canadian politics: never a dull moment!

October 15, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

Gary

Good Riddance!!! He is leaving the province in a mess!

October 15, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

Sammy

One thing is certain... Hudak will blow this.

October 15, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

Gump

@Dale
She "passed"? Where? To whom - to Gilmour?

(sorry pet peeve)

October 15, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

McNulty

@ Gump

Congratulations for being an asshole.

Sorry, my pet peeve.

October 16, 2012 @ 7:32 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Congratulations to your Grandmother, hope she has great health and reaches 100!

After all the carnage he has wrought on the Taxpayers, good riddance. Can't believe people would vote for him as federal Liberal leader with this record. But hope he runs, will ensure the PC's would stay in power if he won.

Discussions I have had with co-workers, we believe there is a bigger shoe to drop, ie another scandal in the wings.
[IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/aquaskisiac/Mcguintymyworkisdonehere.jpg[/IMG]

Toronto Mike Edit:

October 16, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Tried to post a clever photoshop I found, epic fail on my PC skills.

October 16, 2012 @ 8:07 AM

Argie

The worst Premier EVER!!!

His utter incompetence is only matched by his dishonesty, hypocrisy and is insistence on acting as the chief social engineering "daddy premier".

Thank Christ he's gone!

October 16, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

@Rick C in Oakville

You need to use HTML. It's easy. The code looks like this, except change the ( into the less than symbol and ) into the greater than symbol.

(img src="http://www.locationofimageonweb.com/image.png" /)

All I ask is that the image you embed isn't too wide that it messes up the formatting of my page.

October 16, 2012 @ 8:59 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Thanks Mike!

October 16, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

Lorne

Best thing to happen to the party. The news report said he won't run for federal election-- but we all know how well we can trust what a politician says. Personally I don't think he will, because he'll be absolutely curbstomped by Trudeau.

My theory (as much as it's worth): The party wanted him out. They re-elected him anyways since it didn't want to look "fractured". But they only re-elected him so he'll resign.

Regardless, his "legacy" will live on in legislation. He's burnt the party bridges with too many large groups. Unions, public servants, doctors, police, firemen, nurses-- not only a majority of votes, but a vast, vast majority of [b]Liberal[/b] voters. Even though he's gone, it's doubtful they're winning back any of those voters this cycles.

For the PCs: Hudak's a tool. I assume they just let him run wild while they couldn't beat the incumbent. Kinda like how you don't care if the half-mad puppy shreds your couch, because you already have another one on order from Ikea. Now, we'll see if they replace him with someone competent. I have my doubts.

So expect to see an NDP minority next election. I have no idea if Horvath will be any good, but she has curb appeal. Unless the PCs put someone very strong up against her who will do well in the media, I doubt they'll beat her. A PC official opposition, though-- totally possible.

Feel free to link back to this post in a year or so when everything I said turns out to be horribly wrong to a degree that requires an astronomer to measure. (To future self: All Hail Supreme Emperor Mike Schreiner, may his reign be merciful and wise)

October 16, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

Gary

He's a fucking crook. Good riddance!

October 16, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

Lorne

Oh, to give further credence to the theory of "I fucked up, there's bad shit coming down the pipe, and I'm cutting and running before everything goes down in flames", he's officially stepping down [i]"to spend more time with family"[/i]. For reference, see any disgraced politician in the past, say, 12 years.

October 16, 2012 @ 9:20 AM

Corey

@ Lorne

While I completely agree McGuinty would be curbstomped by Trudeau, that in itself speaks volumes about the current state of the federal Liberal party. The fact that this poncy twerp is being considered a shoo-in to run the federal Liberals is frankly hilarious.

October 16, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

Elba

I could swear I posted on your blog last night under the title of "what is proroguing" or something. Or was I dreaming??

October 16, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

@Elba

You weren't dreaming. You did comment, but that entry is about 4 years old. I wrote about proroguing when Harper pulled the same stunt in December 2008.

October 16, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

Elba

@mike. Thanks. Guess I should know better than to respond using my mobile device! Funny fact, my third son was born on the day that Harper pulled that stunt. I watched the whole event unfold as I was holding my wee Cole.

October 16, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

Irvine

Maybe Lisa Raitt should legislate McGuinty back to work. She does it to everyone else

October 16, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

McNulty

@Irvine

Good one.

And very true.

October 16, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

Cheryl

Well, let's get George Smitherman to take Dalton McGuinty's place. He's not doing anything right now, so how about it. Let's get Smitherman again to be the Premier. He would make a good one.

October 16, 2012 @ 5:48 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Cheryl: Saw Georgie Boy on CTV this morning, and he was almost grilled well done by the hosts about his past boondoggles, not much of a chance of him throwing his hat in the ring from his defense of his record.

October 16, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

Corey

@Cheryl -

Please explain.

October 16, 2012 @ 7:22 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Cheryl and while you're at it, maybe take another crack at why Jack and Diane is better than Come Together...

October 17, 2012 @ 7:53 AM

Argie

OK Phil, you're comparing apples and oranges. Lennon's impact on the world of music was legendary compared to Mellencamp's (then again Hitler's impact was also legendary). However, the drumming of Kenny Aronoff on JM's 80s albums is simply awesome. The man was a beast behind the drums.

October 17, 2012 @ 8:47 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Argie -I agree it's apples and oranges, Lennon was one of the most prolific musicians of the modern era, whereas Mellencamp is an 80's nostalga at best.

However, when someone (Cheryl) says something so hoplessly ridiculous as Mellencamp is better than Lennon, I'd like a defense of that view more articulate than "I don't like John Lennon, John Mellencamp is better"

I don't care for the Book pride and prejudice (i've tried to read it) but I would never try to convince someone that the campy sci fi novels I do read are better (I enjoy them more, but I can honeslty say they are not "better")

Music is a subjective thing, I get that, but there are certain things that are simply not up for debate.

October 17, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

Mississauga Phil

and to use your analogy - Hitler's impact was legenday,and evil, and you would never say that the idiot gangbanger who does a drive by was more impactful than hitler.....

October 17, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

Cheryl

Jack and Diane is a better song, better story line all around. Hey, John Mellencamp has lots of fans. I'm not the only one. I just don't care for John Lennon. George Smitherman is really a good guy. problem is you never met him so you don't know him. I met him a couple times. Once you meet him, you'll change your mind and say he's not so bad. People make mistakes so George Smitherman made mistakes. Anyway, too bad you guys never met him. He's one of the nicest guys around.

October 17, 2012 @ 4:44 PM