5 Things I'm Sick and Tired Of These Days

5 Things I'm Sick and Tired Of These DaysThere are a few things I have no patience for any more. Some of these are news stories that are all over the place, but I just can't get into it. I can't even fake an interest for you guys.

Rob Ford's Conflict of Interest
The Globe and Mail (hopefully that link still works for ya) is reporting that Mayor Rob Ford ordered city staffers to beautify the area within three weeks for Deco Labels and Tags’ 50th anniversary party. More than a dozen city employees at the supervisor level or higher were involved in making the mayor’s request happen. Deco Labels and Tags, if you didn't know, is Rob Ford's family's business.

It's another in a long line of Rob Ford conflict of interest stories. There are so many Rob Ford conflict of interest stories, I can't be bothered writing about them any more. I'm sick and tired of 'em.

ralph

Obama vs. Romney
I didn't watch the debate last night. The bipartisanship of US politics upsets me, so I chose the game 7 blow-out. I'm so sick of Republican talking heads telling us how dominant Romney was and Democratic talking heads telling us Obama kicked ass... I'm going to play various poker games online until election night.

John Farrell
I never felt Farrell was a particularly good manager, and I'm more than fine with him bolting for the Red Sox job. I could have managed the Jays to a similar record. Good riddance, let's move on.

NHL Lockout Updates
The only thing worse than the NHL labour shortage is following the NHL lockout news. Much like the bipartisanship politics in the USA, it's all about spin doctoring and PR. Let me know when this thing is over, but until then, I really, really, really don't care.

Bloggers who complain about stuff
Can you believe some Toronto bloggers use their blog as a forum to complain about stuff? They'll even do it in lists to tell people why they don't care about certain current events or popular topics. Think about it... they care enough to write passionately about why they don't care!

I'm sick and tired of bloggers like that...

Argie

I'm tired of people using buzz words like "really", "seriously" in a weak attempt to mock another person's point of view. I'm also tired of media and the corporate world using the word "conversation" any chance they get. oh and while I'm at it, someone in my office just used that tired phrase "it is what it is..."

October 23, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

@Argie

I hear ya, but it is what it is.

At least we can have a conversation here about the issues of the day.

Or better yet, a dialogue.

October 23, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

519 Rob

I'm sick of bloggers/blogs that use other peoples blogs to get views on their own blogs. I mean, I try to let the value of my blog (check out my latest blog about Rah Rah right here -> http://soundinmymemory.com/?p=3615) stand on its own.
Cheap pops,really!

October 23, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

@519 Rob

I want 20% of all revenue incurred from referrals from this blog.

October 23, 2012 @ 4:06 PM

4x4 Time

I am sick and tired of -

1. The Subaru TV ad with the Orange SUV
2. People telling me to get a flu shot
3. Buying Ontario apples that are the size of walnuts, and have no taste
4. Each week buying a lottery ticket and not winning
5. Predictions on who will run for the Federal and Provincial Liberal party

Shallow life, I know.....

October 23, 2012 @ 4:10 PM

@4x4 Time

Get a flu shot!

October 23, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

519 Rob

@ Tor Mike.
You got it!
What's 20% of 0 anyway?

Har har...

October 23, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

Gary

Mike...did you work for big Pharma or something? Your stance on the flu shot is really over the top.

October 23, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

McNulty

1. The Rob Ford supporters will find a way to say this is perfectly fine.
2. The election is absurd. But Fox News makes everything so pro Romney it is hard to watch.
3. I'd say you would have led the Jays to a better record
4. The NHL deserves to self-implode if this lockout kills revenues. No sympathies.
5. Bloggers! Fuck them all. Now go to allthepiecesmatter.wordpress.com

October 23, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

Douglas

Today's Dolighan, on the subject of the lockout/strike, does a very good job of summing up the situation: http://www.dolighan.com/images/tifs/dolighan_cartoon_oct2312.jpg

October 23, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

Irvineq

In tired of waking up tired - the Diodes from CFNY FM 102.1 The Spirit of Radio

October 23, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

Cheryl

I'm sick and tired of Bell sending me junk mail. They just sent me another thing to get their TV service. I do not want stupid Bell's TV service. I just got rid of you, Bell, so stop sending me the damn junk mail. enough already. Bell really sucks. Primus is so much better. Primus is cheaper and you get just as many phone services and more that Bell would charge for each one. Primus is the greatest thing there is. I am not disappointed at all with them. The customer service is the greatest. Technical support is great if you ever need them which is very rare. I just wish Bell would get lost. I'm also tired of all the baseball talk. Baseball really sucks. It's boring. I'm sick of the hockey lockout. Stop the nonsense and let's get the season rolling. Who cares about rob Ford. George Smitherman would have been a much better Mayor. Those who don't like George Smitherman just don't know him. He is one of the nicest guys around and he really does his best. He made a mistake and people make mistakes.

October 23, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

Elba

I'm sick and tired of the word boondoggle. It's been so over-used lately that I grind my teeth whenver I see it in print. Grrr....

I'm also getting sick and tired of my eldest son's hockey schedule. It's four weeks into the season and I'm already exhausted. Sigh.

October 23, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

Matt

I found Zauns take interesting on the whole Farrell saga. He basically said if AA, Beeston and co. truly believed he was their guy, they wouldn't have even entertained the thought of letting him go.

As for Rob Ford. He raised money for a charity that helps kids. Hard to hate on that.

Is it just me or do some Canadians get more excited about US politics then our own?

As for the NHL, I could care less if they come back next week or next year. What a joke.

October 23, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

Douglas

@Mike @Irvine

Love that Diodes tune.

This is one of my favourite Aussie tunes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c1NYCEecbs&playnext=1&list=PL54C8FA8E46CDAF79&feature=results_main

Give it a listen through. I'm pretty sure you'll like it, too.

October 23, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

The Hoodoo Gurus are Australia's Tragically Hip.

Discuss...

October 23, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

Blind Dave

NHL: Total apathy, but much like someone wearing a horrible outfit I can't help but look occasionally.

Rob Ford: Haven't lived in The Smoke since 1999, so the politics mean nothing to me.

USA: The American right wing scares me, but in Canadian politics I am centre-right, for the most part. Regardless, I just don't see Romney as a positive leader. Obama may not have done much, and no one could have lived up to that billing anyway, but I still think he's the better choice of the two candidates.

Jays: Maybe this was just a testing ground for Farrell and he'll do much better in his second incarnation. But I just can't see the day when a Toronto sports team will make the city proud again.

October 23, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

Douglas

Alan Cross - why are you posting as Toronto Mike? Of course, you're the one that asked "Whatever happened to the Hoodoo Gurus?"

It would be more accurate to say that Cold Chisel are Australia's Tragically Hip. If you're looking for a bluesy rock band that busted their chops on the hotel (pub) circuit, it's "Chisel". Yes, I have their albums. All but one.

I was in Australia in January-February 1988. I found myself going into record stores on a regular basis. One of the larger chains, Brash's, always prominently displayed the new, up and coming artists and albums on the racks as you walked in the stores. I was stunned to the black on blue cover of the first Hip LP/EP. Oz loves the Hip, too. Good on ya, mates!

October 23, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

Blind Dave

@Douglas and @Toronto Mike

Ok, I just listened to the Hoodoo Gurus. I'm hooked. :)

October 23, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

Douglas

@Blind Dave - get yourself a copy of "Electric Soup" (best), "Ampology" or the newest "Gold Watch" for the best of. Most their hits are in video form on YouTube.

CFNY used to play the Hoodoo Gurus regularly. You'll also hear them from time to time on San Diego's 91x, on air anytime, but definitely on Sunday morning (6-10 Pacific) on "Resurrection Sunday" with DJ Steve West, who must love the group. He also programs the "Resurrection Channel". Stream at: http://www.91x.com/pages/listenlive Enjoy!

October 24, 2012 @ 12:53 AM

Blind Dave

@Douglas

Thanks for the link!

As for your recommendations, I have a few torrent downloads running and will check them out as soon as they are ready.

October 24, 2012 @ 9:30 AM

DeanVernonWormer

"I'm sick and tired of bloggers like that... "(who use their blogs to complain)

Wait a sec - wasn't your first point a complaint about Ford?

October 24, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

@DeanVernonWormer

This whole entry is a bunch of complaints!

October 24, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

Lorne

I'm tired of dialog in TV shows and movies where the main character has to make a choice, and rather than working their struggle and conflict into the story, they literally have one of the characters say "You have to make a choice".

Sure, the main character has to make a choice. It's Plot 101-- they need to make an active decision to advance their personal arc. I get it. But every damn show does this. "You have to choose. It's your choice." It's glaringly obvious lazy writing.

(I'm honestly surprised there isn't one of those Youtube clip collections of this)

October 24, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

Ryan G

It really pisses me off when I PVR certain shows and the end sometimes gets cut off.

It's happened with Boardwalk Empire and Breaking Bad, where the network runs a few minutes of promos at the start time of the PVR, which pushes the actual show's content past it's recorded timeslot sometimes.

The solution is for me to manually modify and extend the stop-time manually..ugh..
first world problem I know, but still a pain in the ass.

Also, I sat down at a table at a Tim Horton's the other day, and on the table was one of those Metro newspapers, which I never read.

But there was some other dude at another table who decided he would like to read the paper. The problem was though, how he tried to get my attention.

"Tsssst"

"Pssst"

Several. Times.

He clearly did not understand that this form of communications is considered ignorant in this part of the world, so I promptly ignored him. After a few minutes he did it again, but this time I happened to be looking in that general direction.

This time he actually used his grown up voice and asked me, and hopefully he learned his lesson.

If I go and live or visit another part of the world, then I should adapt to local customs, not the other way around.

October 24, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

Pete McPhedran

@Ryan G

I hear ya about the PVR, the wife thinks I'm messin' with her by leaving off the last 30-90 seconds of the Big Bang Theory, we never get the last punch line!

--Pete

October 24, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

Lorne

They intentionally muck around with the start/end times in order to thwart pirates.

The solution to your problem? Pirate the show.

October 24, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

Cheryl

Well, I want my hockey. Bring them back. end the lockout. Won't they ever learn. Anywawy, it was a pretty good order from Grocery Gateway today, only a couple little missing items. Basketball starts next week. Go Suns.

October 24, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

Douglas

The PVR issue is irritating. I've changed the default "end" setting on mine to +5 minutes, because it seems that networks no longer feel (or are?) compelled to keep broadcasts on time. Who's willing to bet that this is an anti-PVR effort on behalf of the offending networks?

Now all I need to do is swap the puny 160 GB hard drive in my PVR for a 1 TB. I have a "correct" model hard drive to do that, according to a friend who has done the job. I bought my PVR and it is out of warranty, in case you're wondering.

October 25, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

Corey

@ Ryan G and Pete

Don't know what PVR you're using - mine is from Bell. There's a setting in the preferences menu that lets you set the record time to begin before and after the actual show time. It's a one time process.

October 25, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Corey - Rogers has a similar feature.

October 29, 2012 @ 2:41 PM