Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 3: Freak Turbulence

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 3Here's the 3rd episode of my podcast, Toronto Mike'd. In this episode, Rosie and I chat about my Irish cardigan sweater, Sam the Record Man and television shows we're digging. This episode is exactly 27:28.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

As always, I'm very eager to read your feedback, good or bad. Please let me know in the comments what you thought and any topic ideas you have.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Declan

Episode 4 sounds like it will be a barn burner.

When will we hear it?

September 26, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

Lyle Lanley

iTunes hasn't updated yet...

September 26, 2012 @ 10:39 AM

@Lyle Lanley

iTunes reads my XML file at http://www.torontomike.com/torontomiked.xml which has been updated.

So now I need to wait for iTunes to refresh the read... hopefully it will happen soon.

@Declan

I'll post episode 4 tomorrow. Brace yourselves, it's a doozy.

September 26, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

Sammy

I've gotta say I love this podcast.

It's interesting, it's real and I'm really looking forward to episode 4.

Toronto Mike, you don't know me, but I've been reading for years so know now that whatever you reveal in episode 4 you've got my support. For what that's worth. :)

Excellent job by you, Rosie and Mike Wicksen (sp?). I sincerely hope you keep this up.

Sammy

September 26, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

Sam in Pickering

I agree with Sammy - and I assure you I'm a different Sam.

Great job and looking forward to #4.

p.s. Episode 3 updated for me in iTunes so I'm thinking it downloads but just can't be seen on the iTunes page yet.

September 26, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

brad

nirvana's unplugged was 1993

September 26, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

@brad

Yeah, a moment after I said 1994 I realized it was most likely late 1993.

September 26, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

Argie

Mike,

Do you and Rosie ever talk about me?

September 26, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

@Argie

Oh, we will...

I actually like your comments. I rarely agree with you, but I'll protect your right to express your archaic opinions.

September 26, 2012 @ 1:20 PM

Blind Dave

Great podcast!

I'm ten years older than you, and I started the A&A and Sam's walk sometime in the early 70s with my dad. We, too, had the loyalty to Sam if the price was even.

I also remember Vortex (great place!), and there were one or two other used record stores in the same area, but I forget their names.

There was also a place called Incredible Records between Bloor and Wellesley that started in the early 80s. Great selection, but they really soaked you if they felt the record was a collectors item.

While there is something to be said for the convenience of clicking on a link and listening to a sample, as I was doing last night, I do truly miss the enjoyment and adventure of the hunt that was a day out at Sam and A&A.

September 26, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

Rosie

@Argie you cracked me up when you wrote in the last Open Mike "The Wire is NOT a lady's show." And so, you inspired our conversation on the podcast about "girl shows" and "boy shows" and whether there is such a thing :)

September 26, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

Blind Dave

As for this major announcement, I'm betting it's that Mike and Rosie are really the same person.

That studio pic with the guy was really just a stand-in for "Mike". :)

September 26, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

William

Congrats Mike on having the courage to finally come out of the closet.

September 26, 2012 @ 5:02 PM

Rosie

@Blind Dave LOL! nope, that pic really is Mike... where else could I find a guy wearing a What-Would-Wendel-Do t-shirt? :)

September 26, 2012 @ 5:33 PM

Lorne

@Rosie: Right on with Dancing with the Stars. Could never get into it. It almost feels like you're watching some C-list celebrities out of pity, "oh cute, it dances like people".

And no, my wife doesn't watch it, either. SYTYCD is the only dancing competition show we watch*. Yes, she put it on our "to watch" rotation, but I enjoy it. Thankfully, there's never been Will & Grace or Sex & The City. She hates them too. I guess I just lucked out.

* except for Dance Moms, but that's more for the trainwreck factor. I don't get it, but it makes for good background noise while she marks labs and exams, so who am I to complain?

September 27, 2012 @ 3:03 PM

Anon&on

Podcast #3 was excellent!
There's some neat footage of Sam's from the early 70's in the (Canadian classic) film Goin' Down The Road.

In the late 70's- mid 80's before HMV, besides Sam's and A&A, further up towards College you had Records On Wheels, Cheapies for your stock catalogue, Vinyl Museum for your vinyl, and Music World just down from Sam's. Record Peddler for your imports , punk, new wave.

September 27, 2012 @ 6:52 PM