Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 2: Ahead By A Century

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 2Here's the 2nd episode of my new podcast, Toronto Mike'd. In this episode, Rosie and I chat about the early feedback we've received, concerts we've dug and Ward crashes the party. This episode is exactly 36:55.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

As always, I'm very eager to read your feedback, good or bad. Please let me know in the comments what you thought and any topic ideas you have.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Il Duce

I think the pics are great. I heard Humble say he still wants to see pics of Rosie doing the podcast in a bikini. I personally think that it is highly inappropriate for Humble to ask for such things.

September 6, 2012 @ 9:44 AM

@Il Duce

That's funny, because Humble told me he wants to see pics of you in a bikini.

September 6, 2012 @ 9:46 AM

Lorne

Just listened. Comments:

1) Good conversation. It flowed well, and even though some blog-content was repeated, you and your co-hosts were able to bring their own view/opinion/spin to it. Plus it felt much more like a back-and-forth conversation than just "Toronto Mike reads his blog to you". Good. I don't mind topics from the blog being re-raised, because not only does it cross-pollinate with the blog, but I'm more interested in your hosts/guests comments on that subject.

2) Need better information distribution. After listening to the podcast, I couldn't tell you what Rosie's site's address is. I don't think anyone mentioned the actual URL. Or if they did, not often enough for a 1/2 hour discussion. My suggestion is that if you discuss anything in the podcast that has an Internet component, post links on the blog article. From this episode, you can post:
- Rosie's Blog
- Permalink to Rosie's Blog entry about the sculpture

2a) If you talk about non-Internet items, it'd be good to link to information about them anyways. For example, you can post a Google Maps to the sculptures Rosie was discussing.

3) You got into the show much quicker, getting your voice on air faster (talking over the theme). Good. I still suggest a bumper right off the bat.

4) Compliment to your producer: the mic levels and sound levels were great the whole way through. That has to be my #1 complaint about podcasts: you can't hear what's being said, or there's too much interference. A+!

5) If you know what this week and next week's topics are, maybe tease them at the start and end of the podcast. This might mean having to record a bump after recording the podcast, since so much is improve. Keep it brief and spoiler free. "You're listening to Toronto Mike. Today: Sculptures in Toronto, my thought process in making the podcast, and what happened when Rosie tried to see U2 in highschool? {theme}".

6) A signoff would be nice. I know you said "I usually end the podcast with...", but it's nice to have closure without the podcast just ending. "From me, Rosie and everyone at Humble and Fred studios, see you on the blog. Bye." (That sucks, but you get the point).

Looking forward to episode 3!

September 6, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

Lorne

Sidenote: thank you for making the podcast downloadable as a simple mp3. I don't use iTunes, and I've never met a built-in player that I like. I love being able to just load it into winamp, pause/rewind without worrying about the web crashing, easy volume controls, etc. etc.

Thanks!

September 6, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

@Lorne

Awesome feedback.

I'm sure I said "mytorontoscoop.com" a couple of times, but the links on the entry is a great idea.

I definitely need to sign off more elegantly. I always forget to say bye!

That production you enjoy is courtesy of Mike Wixson. He's manning the board.

September 6, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

Lyle Lanley

It enjoyed it until that Ward guy came in.

Tell him to stick to his own podcast. Your tone is different and he disrupts the flow.

My 2 cents - if Ward is a large angry gentlemen, I'm glad I'm using a fake name!

September 6, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

Il Duce

@ T.O. Mike

I'm not young enough for Humble!!

September 6, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

Blind (Melon) Dave

Hey, I get more than a rash when I hear rap. It's one of few things that make me genuinely angry. But you're right about malls and such. I won't even go into certain stores if they're blasting that garbage.

Anyway, that brings me to the intro. If I were podcast searching and didn't know anything about you, you'd have had me for less than two seconds. So for those who are more tolerant than I am, you may want to announce yourselves a little sooner, say what you're about, then maybe let the intro continue to play.

On repeating stuff repeating stuff. I chimed in on that as well the other day but maybe wasn't as clear as I could have been. I'm happy with having blog content on the podcast, but not to rehash a topic that was addressed on the previous podcast, unless it is warranted. This isn't a very good example, but if you talk about your favourite mayor on one show, talk about another city issue on the next show.

On info distribution and self-promotion: I think you did mention your respective blogs once or twice, but you definitely did it more in the first episode. So maybe once at the beginning, once at the end, and a couple of strategically placed promos in the middle. And keep in mind that not everyone may know who you are, so mention the "what" as well!

The half hour flowed very well; it was relaxed, smooth, and natural.

Thank you for the Lowest Of The Low signoff. That was a real treat.

September 6, 2012 @ 2:09 PM

Ryan G

Fantastic stuff.

I'm also working on podcasts with a fellow TOM reader and contributor. Perhaps we'll arrange a call-in with you sometime Mike if you're game.

But we're usually having cocktails so there's an excellent chance we'll forget.

September 6, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

@Ryan G

Is your podcast with Irvine?

September 6, 2012 @ 4:25 PM

Blind Dave

Irvine supposedly lived in Alberta, and there is place called Irvine, AB. Now he may lives in BC. Any chance he'll come back and name himself after a town out there???

September 6, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

@Blind Dave

Irvine is his last name.

September 6, 2012 @ 4:42 PM

Rosie

@Lorne & Blind Dave, wow your feedback is more thoughtful and constructive than most broadcasting professionals I've worked with over the years... thank you! :)

September 6, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Listened to the 2nd one today, and it's purring along.
Music Content was a little young for my demographic ( 50+) but I like the roundtable talk, and I enjoyed Ward and Wixon skipping in and contributing. Interesting to know that Wixon worked with Tom Rivers, a mountain of a man if memory serves me. CFTR was the station to be listening to then.

September 7, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

Irvine

@Blind Dave

Irvine is my last name. I try not to hide behind anonymity. Indeed, I did live in Alberta for a grand total of around 20 years. And yeah, I do live in BC, specifically on Bowen Island just off Horseshoe Bay. Sadly, that's coming to an end because of ferry schedules. Hard to get home when you work really late or have to go in for a late night emergency. It's a long swim. I'll be settling down right around Robson & Denman or possibly Haro Street. Feel free to stop by. I'm in Alberta right now so I'll let everyone know you said hello.

PS Toronto Mike. Sorry I don't do podcasts. I already had a radio show & had my own online radio station (between 1000 and 3000 concurrent listeners). I no longer have any interest in broadcasting.

Maybe on your podcast you could invite Mike Stafford. You could have him threaten me dude. Your ratings will go through the roof.

September 7, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

Anon&on

Episode 2 was 2x better. Audio sounded a little more even. Less giggle, which was the one annoying thing in the 1st show (chalk that up to nervousness and newness).

Great to hear the talk about the Sculpture Garden. More like that, hidden gems or not so obvious things in the city.
Rosie has an interesting vocal styling (diction/enunciation), something I hear in Intern Victoria on H&F too. Mike says 'buddins', doesn't bother me at all. Nice contrast of styles.

I'd also like to hear a quick voice intro ( 'You're listening to Toronto Mike'd' ) kind of thing when the podcast starts, before the intro music.

And I'd also like to hear a quick roundup/recap as part of your sign off of any websites or content locations mentioned in the show. I know you mentioned Rosie's blog, but I missed or couldn't recall, trying to find it later I was skipping through, missed, skip back, google...

I don't know how involved you will be getting, but some of the podcasts I listen to put all the info about topics and links etc in the podcast info. If I'm using iTunes, I can click the 'i' and get all the info from the show. This is something I wish H&F spent a little effort on as well.

September 9, 2012 @ 11:40 AM